PDA

View Full Version : roof top bar

paperboy
April 13th, 2016, 18:07
hi
i arrive next month and meeting my friend in BKK for 3 days, before i go to cambodia.
I was hopeing to take him to one of the roof top bars for cocktails.
Does anyone know a good one i can take him too.
thanks everyone
paperboy

pong
April 13th, 2016, 18:32
Specify 'good''-there are by now dozens+more of such thingys. THus there are also dozens of listigs of ém. So specify: part of town, how expensive/exclusive it can be (some of the Hi-So DO impose clothing rules!), maybe even how high. Some may be pestered with those big groups of Chinese mainlanders, though you wont find much warnigs about that. Be aware that the higher you go, the more windy/stormy it can be.

fountainhall
April 13th, 2016, 19:24
I've never understood the fascination with rooftop bars in Bangkok - but only because the terrain is so flat there are few sights to see. It's not nearly as interesting visually as many other Asian cities. However, I have been to the Moon Bar at the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel on upper Sathorn several times (often known by the restaurant's name, Vertigo). It's very pleasant, but quite small and so it pays to get there early if you want a seat. It's also in the expensive price range and has a definite dress code. Flip-flops and shorts of any kind are not permitted. More info here -

http://www.banyantree.com/en/ap-thailand-bangkok/vertigo-and-moon-bar

Marsilius
April 13th, 2016, 21:28
It's somewhat off topic, but the title of the thread brought back memories of Pattaya's long-gone Sky Bar, a gay venue with a large outdoor terrace on the top floor of Mr Mac's Hotel on Thappraya Road.

In spite of its location away from the gay hubs of town and the fact that you had to climb several flights of stairs to get to it, in the early to mid 1990s it was a great spot, largely thanks to its charismatic Ulsterman owner Ken. Unfortunately, once he'd sold it, the new owners proved to lack his business flair and the place closed down.

I'm sure, however, that I'm not the only one with fond memories, not only of the bar itself but of the times when Ken would close up for a few days or even a week and take all his go-go boys and any interested regular patrons off to Ko Samet for a bit of R&R.

I venture that that particular "roof top bar" gave more simple pleasure to Sawatdeenetwork members than any of the more upmarket venues in Bangkok already mentioned!

christianpfc
April 15th, 2016, 13:11
The best known and probably most expensive ones are on Bayok 2 tower (is it a bar or just a viewpoint) and le bua at state tower. Went to latter by inviation of friend in 2014, you don't have a full view, barely 180 degree view. On Bayok you should have 360 degree.

I like the idea of roof top bar for a view to identify places I know when seen from above.