PDA

View Full Version : Buriram

Brad the Impala
July 3rd, 2006, 21:36
My Bf(from the South of Thailand) and I are planning a trip to Buriram and Surin. Info about flying there seems a little confusing, there is an airport at Buriram, but nobody flies there now?! Air Andaman used to but now .....? Any other info about the area, clubs, mixed of course, would be appreciated.

July 4th, 2006, 11:36
Sorry, I can't help in answering your question, but I would like to hijack your post :geek:

I too will be off to Buriram and then on to Phnom Rung. My num friend tells me it is only 2 to 3 hours drive from Pattaya, which I am a little sceptical about, does anyone know how long it actually takes. Also he wants me to hire a car so he can drive, which worries the hell out of me. I was considering hiring a taxi driver for a few days, but recently experienced one such driver on the way back from Bangkok who had been up all night watching football - if his eyes closed once on the drive back to Pattaya they closed a dozen times and despite making him stop so I could top him up with coffee and food I still had to make sure my num friend spoke none stop to him the entire way back.

About clubs and stuff, my friend tells me there are no gay places (although again I do not know how accurate this is) but he has indicated that you can meet plenty of guys around hotels and by making 'eye' contact in straight bars. clubs, restaurants and on the street - just walk up to one who looks like he may respond and offer to buy him a drink.

July 4th, 2006, 12:16
Its 410km from BKK if your going from there..so i would say at least 4 hours?

http://www.thai-info2004.com/northeastern_thailand.htm

sjaak327
July 4th, 2006, 12:32
Pb air flies to Buriram from Bangkok pbair (http://www.pbair.com/)

July 4th, 2006, 16:00
Fatman41, I have made the drive several times from Pattaya to Buriram and back to visit and stay with my BF's family. It is a good 5 to 6 hours depending on traffic. Typically an early departure from Pattaya will get you there in about 5 hours (with a stop for gas and snacks).

I have always rented a car and my BF and I switch off on the driving. Once one gets into Issan the traffic is much lighter and passing slow moving vehicles become less interesting.

Phnom Rung is definitely a great place to visit. I would suggest early in the day to avoid the heat and for a less crowded visit, not that it gets that busy. Expect to see several school groups bouncing about later in the day.

Also expect a lot of interest in the falang since we are less common than in Pattaya, especially if you visit any of the smaller villages.

Enjoy!

July 4th, 2006, 16:23
DELETED

TrongpaiExpat
July 4th, 2006, 19:59
A trip to Buriram as a stopping off point to Phnom Rung is on my short list of things to do. I would like to take the train from Bangkok but the BF thinks trains are very low class. I would not be intrested in driving from Bangkok but would not mind renting a car in Buriram to get to Phnom Rung. I would not consider a tour.

Any decent hotel recomendation for Buriram?

GWMinUS
July 4th, 2006, 20:28
Went through Buriram by bus on our way to Surin.
The City is pleasant with a moat around the perimeter.
Only saw the Bus Station so no information on other places to see.

And now for the commercial...
If you do not want to drive yourself and enjoy a great tour guide,
then I highly recommend Suphot. He is the BF of Smiles and will make your trip most enjoyable!!!
Here is a photo of his King Cab pick-up. While only two passenger seats, he will set up the space behind the seats with pillows for a comfy ride for your BS!! And having another Thia to converse with is always enjoyable for your BS!!

Contact Suphot at <suphot_t@hotmail.com>. I am sure he can recommend hotels and places to go for great Isaan Music and Guys!!!

http://upload4.postimage.org/539977/Suphot.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/539977/photo_hosting.html)

July 5th, 2006, 11:45
Fatman41, I have made the drive several times from Pattaya to Buriram and back to visit and stay with my BF's family. It is a good 5 to 6 hours depending on traffic....Enjoy!

Thanks Joe, Mr Botting etal. I did think my friends estimate of 2-3 hours was a little optimistic. I too will be visiting my friends folks, but i'll be introduced as the Farang that is being given a tour of Isan and we'll be sleeping in a hotel - although from what's been said the entire family will be there, Isan homecooking will be prepared and much drinking will be encouraged.

Last night I tried to raise the subject of getting a driver instead of my friend taking the wheel - the only reason I am a little wary is that I don't think my friend has much experience of driving cars and his favourite films are those which involve street car racing. I think he has the picture in his head of him returning to his home at the wheel of an auto and impressing the hell out of his neighbours and family - I have the picture of dents and prangs and hospital visits with a large bill at the end! I tactfully dropped the subject when he went all crestfallen. Oh, and I am one of that rare breed who never felt the need to learn to drive. Any advice?

Mr Botting, could you post details of the route you took that lasted around 4 hours please.

July 5th, 2006, 14:42
DELETED

July 5th, 2006, 16:04
I think he has the picture in his head of him returning to his home at the wheel of an auto and impressing the hell out of his neighbours and family

Definitely a major points getter for the BF with the village. BF would not let me drive once we got there, and he always managed to take the routes that allowed the majority of friends to see him at the wheel.

BTY, BF turned out to be a very careful and good driver.

I too will be visiting my friends folks, but i'll be introduced as the Farang that is being given a tour of Isan and we'll be sleeping in a hotel

A good choice, but if you get a chance you might consider a more interesting option.

I have stayed at the house of my BF. Each time this proves to be the most fastinating part of the trip. Mamma sets up a quiet sleeping area for BF and I upstairs. All of the rest of the family normally sleeps downstairs. Mats on the floor with pillows, blankets and a fan. Not as bad as it might sound. At night Issan is so quiet.

The 4 am rooster along with all his buddies makes for an early start. Since this is a farming village, the cycle of the sun rules. One quickly adjusts to the household routine. All the family, friends and neighbors always make me feel welcomed and right at home. As I do my early morning walk around the village I get many invites to stop and eat or have a drink. Many of the local kids are fasanated by the falang and a few to fightened to approach.

I would not recommend a stay of more than 2 or 3 nights unless you are writing a book or painting the local scenes.