PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - Phnom Penh 2016

nasherich
March 21st, 2016, 22:52
I arrived via a Thai airways flight from Bangkok. According to the stewardess, as I had an e-visa, I didn't need to fill in any of the forms they were handing out on the plane. Wrong. I had to suffer the humiliation of being sent to the back of the (admittedly short) queue once by the immigration officer and then by the customs officer. I'm sure I must have saved some time somewhere paying a premium for the e-visa but it's not immediately obvious.

My first bout of indulgence, after a visit to the disturbing Toul Sleng Genocide museum, was a visit to Ganesh House for a 90 minute oil massage. I haven't seen it mentioned a great deal, so here's my account for the record.

It didn't get off to a great start as either I picked a boy the manager didn't want me to, or he couldn't make out what letter I was referring to, but he kept trying to declare I'd chosen someone else. This happened four times, but I stuck my ground, and I'm very glad I did.

I had one of the best massages I can remember having. Not rushed but beautifully and evenly executed from a cute boy who has clearly had proper training.

At the end, he asked me if I wanted a special message, and there ensued a really great passionate time.

All in all, I really positive experience in some great premises.

More to follow..

Moses
March 21st, 2016, 22:59
Yeah, with or without e-visa you still have to fill immigration card at time of enter and to save half of it till time of exit from Cambodia.

bazzabear
March 22nd, 2016, 01:50
nasherich i am traveling to cambodia in november so i am looking forward to your part 2

nasherich
March 23rd, 2016, 10:20
Part 2

Spent the late morning at Wat Phnom, the hill which gives the city its name and took in a few other city sights including the Independence Monument.

Near there is the Feel Good Cafe 2, lovely, relatively quiet, place which serves good lunch snacks and excellent coffee. Highly recommended.

I could get used to the touchy feely flirty nature of the waiters in Cambodia.

On gay Romeo, I made contact with a guy from Siem Reap who was in Phnom Penh for some treatment on his teeth for a couple of days. After an hour of miscommunication about location (he turned up at the cafe I already mentioned above, despite me having told him I'd left and was heading back to my hotel), I had pretty well written off the chances of meeting, but amazingly we finally meet at a cafe near my hotel (a precaution of mine) and it was a pleasant surprise. Not only did he look exactly like his pictures, but he was a good English speaker. After the cafe, we adjourned to my nearby hotel where his other talents became obvious and two hours of pleasure ensued.

We agreed to meet later on, and went to the River House restaurant - also highly recommended. Following that, we adjourned for cocktails on the roof of the Urban Hotel where a cool breeze made for a very pleasant evening.

Then back to the hotel, where the presence of a bath on the balcony, which I'd hitherto thought was ridiculous, especially because it's in full view of the neighbouring property, provided the scene for another hour of erotic bliss in the dark. My God, I think I'm falling for this guy...

christianpfc
March 23rd, 2016, 21:00
I'm sure I must have saved some time somewhere paying a premium for the e-visa but it's not immediately obvious.
Probably not. I had visa on arrival twice (Jul 2014 and Jan 2016), it takes about 10 minutes. For me a no-brainer: it's cheaper and faster (I estimate e-visa would take longer, and then I would have to go to an internet cafe to print it out).

Moses
March 23rd, 2016, 21:55
Probably not. I had visa on arrival twice (Jul 2014 and Jan 2016), it takes about 10 minutes. For me a no-brainer: it's cheaper and faster (I estimate e-visa would take longer, and then I would have to go to an internet cafe to print it out).

Visa-on-arrival takes less time in airports and much more time than e-visa at points of border crossing by land. Also it is sometimes cheaper only in airports - at the land-border officers asking 1000 baht of bribes. Everyone can decline, but then for sure your visa-on-arrival will be not "faster" :)

When I 'm crossing border by land I decline bribes, give them answer like "Don't worry, I have a time" and take a seat with book. It works: usually after that they make visa in 15-20 minutes.

Andaman!
March 24th, 2016, 07:05
Glad to know you are having a good time. I love Cambodia and Cambodians. Which property are you staying at with bath on balcony?

nasherich
March 24th, 2016, 12:16
I'm staying at the Rambutan hotel. It's a lovely place, a little out of town but nothing that a tuk-tuk can't sort.

bobsaigon2
March 24th, 2016, 20:13
Rambutan has mixed clientele but is owned by a Dutch/Thai gay couple. Staff are lovely boys around 20 yrs old, not available for anything intimate. Nevertheless, I am in love with at least three of them. Hotel is located about 10 minutes' tuk tuk ride from the Hatha Khmer, Hero and Ganesh massage venues. There is no lift but there are rooms on the ground floor and first floor.

Andaman!
March 24th, 2016, 22:19
Rambutan is next door to Arthur & Paul where the cute staff are available for intimate activities

nasherich
March 25th, 2016, 00:49
I haven't dropped into Arthur and Paul yet. My last chance tomorrow before heading to Bangkok on Saturday.

Tonight visited Blue Chilli bar (some cute staff), Space Bar for about 1 minute (too noisy for me).

Andaman!
March 25th, 2016, 06:14
If you go around to A&P, I recommend the massages. Walter and Guru (Indian) are fantastic for a four hand. Very sensual and Guru is well endowed and pumps a big load. Avoid the spa manager (can't remember his name) he is very good looking and hunky but massage was disappointing and also a hard sell for tips? The cute and friendly guy behind the bar is also keen for some fun once his shift ends.

a447
March 25th, 2016, 16:06
I had no idea you could get a happy ending at the massage in A&P. A couple of the guys working there told me there was no funny business going on, only legitimate massage.

If only I'd known - I would have had no need to leave the hotel!

nasherich
March 25th, 2016, 19:31
So I made a visit to Arthur and Paul this afternoon after the 5 pm 'public' opening. It's very nice, clean and stylish, but I think I'm glad I didn't choose to stay there. Not sure I like the vibe, but each to his own.

I visited with my newly acquired companion from earlier in the week but we only stayed an hour or so. There weren't a huge number of visitors. There was some full on groping in the steam room, which is the darkest place I've ever been to. The stairs to it and the changing room are downright dangerous and I'm lucky I didn't end up in the local casualty. I'm normally quite good at seeing in the dark but that was ridiculous.

Decided against a massage as I'll save my energy for Bangkok tomorrow.

bazzabear
March 26th, 2016, 19:02
hi nascherich i am always a bit shy when i visit a massage place and hate having to look at all the guys before deciding who to choose, i will be in phnom phen later in the year and any information about massage places will be of use thank you , also which in your opinion would be the best gay bar to hook up with a guy in his say mid to late twenties [ someone who likes a daddy ]

bobsaigon2
March 26th, 2016, 22:13
Bazzabear, just enter "Phnom Penh Massage" in the Search box and you will find numerous reports about massage and night clubs in Phnom Penh.

Andaman!
March 27th, 2016, 06:58
If you go around to A&P, I recommend the massages. Walter and Guru (Indian) are fantastic for a four hand. Very sensual and Guru is well endowed and pumps a big load. Avoid the spa manager (can't remember his name) he is very good looking and hunky but massage was disappointing and also a hard sell for tips? The cute and friendly guy behind the bar is also keen for some fun once his shift ends.

Just remembered the name of the spa manager who is the one to avoid. It is Lenine....or at least it was in December 2015. He is very good looking, but massage was mechanical with a rather hard sell at a ridiculous price for a happy ending which was more painful than pleasurable. Walter and Guru are the stars And I loved the experience and their happy personalities. I never got to experience Maurice as my last day was his day off.

nasherich
March 27th, 2016, 20:09
Buzzabear, I only visited Ganesh as I unexpectedly acquired a companion on the second day. However, at Ganesh the guys were behind a glass screen and I was told they couldn't see me. Certainly it would have been difficult as their side was brightly lit and mine dark. So it wasn't awkward at all.

I only visited Blue Chilli, POPP and Space Bar. But I reckon you'd be better off with Gay Romeo or Grindr to find what you want personally

bazzabear
March 28th, 2016, 00:51
thanks naserich

paperboy
March 29th, 2016, 17:45
i arrive 1st june, cant wait.

Andaman!
March 30th, 2016, 13:08
i arrive 1st june, cant wait.

Don't forget to pack your candles Paperboy.......

paperboy
March 30th, 2016, 18:17
OOhhhh Andaman, i will be bringing a bit more then my candles

fedssocr
March 31st, 2016, 05:51
Great report.

The evisa can come in handy in Siem Reap if you happen to land just behind full flights. When I arrived a couple of months ago it was just after flights from SGN and ICN and was glad I had my evisa already in hand. I was first one up to the immigration desks and first one out of the airport. The visa on arrival line has a lot of people in it, but they seemed to have many officers on hand to process them.

Andaman!
March 31st, 2016, 13:23
Great report.

The evisa can come in handy in Siem Reap if you happen to land just behind full flights. When I arrived a couple of months ago it was just after flights from SGN and ICN and was glad I had my evisa already in hand. I was first one up to the immigration desks and first one out of the airport. The visa on arrival line has a lot of people in it, but they seemed to have many officers on hand to process them.

Absolutely right. Last time I was in SR, with my eVisa, I was out the airport almost an hour ahead of another traveller who was staying at same hotel and who was at back of queue for visa on arrival after several aircraft landed in quick succession. The "Cambodia eVisa" app available for iPhone and iPad customers makes the application process very simple. Not sure if there is also an Android version.

Nirish guy
April 1st, 2016, 17:32
I'm sure the immigration officers who are there to "help" you through for their 20 dollars ( in their hand as they simply take you papers away and bring them back stamped) are disgusted at the new evisa and its likelihood of delivering a quite dramatic drop in their back pocket pay.

goji
April 2nd, 2016, 05:10
I'm sure the immigration officers who are there to "help" you through for their 20 dollars ( in their hand as they simply take you papers away and bring them back stamped) are disgusted at the new evisa and its likelihood of delivering a quite dramatic drop in their back pocket pay.

NEW evisa ? I don't know when Cambodia first launched it, but I first had one in 2007. Very efficient it was too.

Gaybutton
April 2nd, 2016, 06:04
Not sure if there is also an Android version.

Yes, there is an Android version: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.e_visa&hl=en

However, most of the posted comments about it are not favorable

Nirish guy
April 2nd, 2016, 19:55
"NEW visa etc ?"

Yes, you are of course correct, poor choice of words on my part, what I meant was new in terms of different from the old / standard style queue up at the desks paper stamp visa that the immigration officers so loved as it gave them many opportunities for a little extra take home pay, whereas the "new" (i.e not the paper stamp version) does not.

bazzabear
April 27th, 2016, 00:44
hi all as you know i am making a trip to cambodia [ phnom phen ] in november, could any of you guys give me any profiles on grindre that i could look up before i go , i have tried looking on there myself but cannot seem to find any one from there . thanks . just send me a private message ,, many thanks

lonelywombat
April 27th, 2016, 10:30
I am surprised that you got poor response from Grinder
However gay romeo has many many listings just between 18 and 24
Most are in Phonm Penh as the do not break down initially into locations.
https://www.planetromeo.com/
go to users
online list of countries
you will see
phnom penh 629
siem reap 228
sihounkville 130

629 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userArea&sortierung=erstellung&locationId=5440101)
6 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userAdvert&advertsCategory[]=73&locationId=5440101)
17 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userOnlineIn&locationId=5440101)
Phnom Penhhttps://www.planetromeo.com/v1/img/tree/spacer.gif

228 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userArea&sortierung=erstellung&locationId=5440103)
15 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userAdvert&advertsCategory[]=73&locationId=5440103)
5 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userOnlineIn&locationId=5440103)
Siem Reaphttps://www.planetromeo.com/v1/img/tree/spacer.gif

130 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userArea&sortierung=erstellung&locationId=5440102)
2 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userAdvert&advertsCategory[]=73&locationId=5440102)

Sihanoukvillehttps://www.planetromeo.com/v1/img/tree/spacer.gif

6 (https://www.planetromeo.com/search/index.php?action=execute&searchType=userArea&sortierung=erstellung&locationId=5440100)

» Otherhttps://www.planetromeo.com/v1/img/tree/spacer.gif

Nirish guy
April 27th, 2016, 16:04
hi all as you know i am making a trip to cambodia [ phnom phen ] in november, could any of you guys give me any profiles on grindre that i could look up before i go

You can search for profiles on grindr, that's news to me ??

goji
April 28th, 2016, 00:50
hi all as you know i am making a trip to cambodia [ phnom phen ] in november, could any of you guys give me any profiles on grindre that i could look up before i go , i have tried looking on there myself but cannot seem to find any one from there . thanks . just send me a private message ,, many thanks
1 Download a "fake GPS" app.
2 Use it to set your phone location to Phnom Penh
3 Search for boys on Grindr.

This also works on other phone apps, such as JackD, Hornet & Planet Romeo. Although of course some of the apps have the facility to move your location built in.

For what it's worth, after multiple trips to Cambodia, I've not met a single person as a result of pre-trip contact on an app. They have all been met in bars, on the street or via contact on the apps after arriving there.
In Pattaya, you are dealing with professionals who may be logged in to the apps for over 12 hours per day, ready to take your money. In Cambodia, some of them might not log on for several days. This can coincide with your trip to town.

bazzabear
April 28th, 2016, 01:13
thanks guys always helpful as usual. northern irish. on my grindr ap i can access lots of asian guys from around the world but all it tells me on there pics is the k. away from me that they are . so finding any is difficult to say the least. but goji if you had to reccomend a good bar that would be very useful to me . once again many thanks

paperboy
April 28th, 2016, 06:40
go to blue chilli bar

bazzabear
April 28th, 2016, 12:56
thanks paperboy.

a447
April 28th, 2016, 15:27
Blue Chilli is basically dead during the week. Best to on the weekends.

Try the Space Bar. There was a guy who worked there who could hook you up with a guy. You may also find guys at Rainbow bar if you're lucky.

Heart of Darkness disco is also a possibility to find a partner.

bazzabear
May 27th, 2016, 19:47
hello paperboy how is your time in cambodia i am still looking forward to your report thanks

bazzabear
May 27th, 2016, 19:49
oh and are there any good cruising places in phnom phen?

paperboy
May 28th, 2016, 22:35
im still on my travels, will arrive cambodia i hope next week after i get my ass to BKK first.
i will keep you informed, dont worry lol.

bazzabear
May 29th, 2016, 02:27
thanks paperboy looking forward to that. hey wish i was going next week too haha. dont forget want all the info thanks and enjoy the rest of your travels

christianpfc
May 30th, 2016, 01:55
oh and are there any good cruising places in phnom phen?
I once (Aug 2014) got an offer during daytime in the park around the temple on the hill.

I have been to various saunas in Phnom Penh (details in my blog http://christianpfc.blogspot.de/2016/01/gay-saunas-bars-and-magazines-in-phnom.html), the are cheap and reasonably clean, but customers not so much my type (same as in Bangkok).

RiceConnoisseur
June 8th, 2016, 00:14
1 Download a "fake GPS" app.
2 Use it to set your phone location to Phnom Penh
3 Search for boys on Grindr.

Thanks for the tip! It's really nice to be able to browse potential boys the weeks before a new adventure in another country :-)

bazzabear
June 8th, 2016, 01:02
sorry i am not up with all this modern jargon or that good with apps so how do i do a fake gps and what is a gps. i would love to browse before i go too. you can always tell me personaly if you wish . many thanks for your help guys much appreciated

Nirish guy
June 11th, 2016, 18:04
GPS - global positioning system ( satellite )- you know the same thing that gives the data that tells you how far guys are from you in Km when you're on the Grindr app that you said already use ?? And "fake" GPS is a programme you can install to "fool" your Apps into giving them a false GPS, thus letting you pretend / intentionally deceive people / the apps into thinking you're somewhere you're actually not, thus letting you see guys from where ever you want on the planet whilst sitting at home. But I've a sneaking suspicion you perhaps know all this already ? :-)

bazzabear
June 11th, 2016, 22:55
hey northern irish thanks but i can assure you i dont know about that . so thanks . i am always confused by all the apps and the jargon

fountainhall
March 19th, 2017, 12:46
Some reports like this one have mentioned the Tuol Sleng Museum in Phnom Penh. I do hope all those who visit the city will visit the Museum and the Killing Fields outside the city. They are far from pleasant sights and many cry. But I do think it's so important to remember everything this peaceful country went through in its relatively recent history.

Tuol Sleng Regulations

Tuol Sleng "Hanging" Bar

Killing Fields Monument

The French and King Sihanouk are far from blame. But it was a CIA coup and then the undeclared war by the USA that was to result in the rise of the Khmer Rouge and the unspeakable genocide which then took place.

I recommend that anyone visiting should read two books - "Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon and the Destruction of Cambodia" by William Shawcross, one of the first journalists to enter the country after its liberation. In a later edition, Shawcross mutes his criticism of US actions, but not by much.

The second is the harrowing "The Gate" by Francois Bizot who was actually captured by the Khmer Rouge before being set free. He returned to the country afterwards. As a Buddhist who lived in Cambodia and had a knowledge of its society and values, Bizot has a vastly better understanding of the dark times he was witnessing than the American policy wonks in Washington and the generals who clashed fruitlessly with a culture totally foreign to them. Perhaps surprisingly, he developed a sort of friendship with the infamous Comrade Douch, a man who seemingly thought nothing of torturing his fellow countrymen with tremendous barbarity and yet conversely whose innocent desire was to see democracy established in Cambodia. Perhaps interesting that a desire by people who live in a different reality to impose their desires on peasants of several countries has over time led to some of the world's worst atrocities

The superb English translation was done by none other than John Le Carre. Not surpringly it reads like one of his best novels.

FarangRuMak
March 20th, 2017, 13:07
Re fountainhall trip.
Don’t omit Chairman Mao (Pol Pot’s mentor) from the rogues’ gallery.
It was in China under Mao that Pol Pot learned the art of genocide of one’s own people.
When Vietnam liberated Cambodia from the Khmer Rough the Chinese invaded Vietnam in revenge causing the death of 10’s of thousands.
There is of course another twist. The USA predicted that the Vietnamese would not withdraw from Cambodia after the liberation but they did.... and they didn’t.
They took control of a lot of Cambodian resources.
I’ve been told by friends in Cambodia that Vietnamese business interests hold a long lease on Angor Wat secured at a ridiculously low price price, for instance.
Angor Complex is a perpetual goldmine. Cambodian schools could do with some of that cash.
Nothing is simple in Asia.

fountainhall
March 20th, 2017, 21:30
I agree entirely that Mao played a role in the Cambodia genocide. I'm not so sure that Mao provided the model for that genocide, though. Certainly his crazy revolutions had mobilized the masses and then resulted in the deaths of tens of millions of Chinese peasants, followed by intellectuals, landlords etc. How much of a template this provided Pol Pot I don't know. But whereas Mao can be said to have had at least some good, if totally misguided, intentions, Pol Pot went much further. The genicide of hundreds of thousands of ethnic Chinese in Kampuchea, for example, was not a by-product of an attempt to develop the country, It was outright mass murder. And Mao, at least in part, recognized the importance of the family as a unit within the communes. Pol Pot was intent on the total destruction of that unit.

And yes, the Cold War and the historical loathing of the Vietnamese and Chinese led the latter to invade in early 1979. I remember that short war only too well. I arrived in Asia at the start of March in that year. Vietnamese air space was closed and so my Air France flight was routed around the south of Vietnam resulting in an additional hour on the flight - and an extra half bottle of wine!

Like all conquering forces, the Vietnamese took what they could from Cambodia. They do need to be given some credit, I suggest, for doing what no other country would do - get rid of the mad genicidal regime of the Khmer Rouge. Yet we also have to remember that Hun Sen led a Khmer Rouge brigade when Pol Pot seized power and remained as a Khmer Riuge leader until he fled to Vietnam 2 years later.

Indeed, nothing is simple in Asia.

FarangRuMak
March 23rd, 2017, 14:27
Interesting details. You have been closer to the events than I.
Mao is a pet hate of mine I must admit. He deserves the title “The worst of the worst” in my view.
He was a repugnant person to start with, having no philosophy, no courage, no empathy, no allegiance with workers or peasants, no love for his (abanoned) first family, no patriotism ( he never lifted a finger to expel the Japanese), no human feelings (He denied permission to one former comrade to go to Moscow for cancer treatment) and he was carried in a litter during the largely fictitious “long march”.
He is unique among major despots in that he caused the deaths of tens of millions of HIS OWN PEOPLE during PEACETIME. His militias took the rice from the village stores at gun point and he swapped it with Russia for weapons. It is a historical fact the villages exchanged their children to be used as food during the ensuing famine.
Stalin at least fought a war against invaders before he turned on his own people.
Even in Mao’s old age he gave China one final nightmare-The Cultural Revolution. Students were told to turn on their teachers and they did so all over China. The first teacher murdered in her classroom was killed by female students. Provincial police tried to stem the growing horror but Mao explicitly told them to leave his Red Guards alone.
It’s estimated that 80% of China’s cultural heritage ( ancient books, art, music etc) was destroyed by his young thugs.
Mme Mao is wife and accomplice in destruction gave as her excuse “ I was Mao’s dog. I bit whoever he told me to bite”

fountainhall
March 23rd, 2017, 15:10
I can't go as far as you in your feelings about Mao. Certainly he caused the deaths of tens of millions of his countrymen and the Cultural Revolution was a disaster whose effects are still being felt. But we need to remember that China was in a state of total chaos when Mao came to world attention. Indeed, it had been in a state of virtual chaos since the early 1800s. Mao and his forces came to power out of a genuine conviction that only total revolution could rid It of that chaos, foreign influence and its corruption on a massive scale. Like all dictators, though, power and paranoia went to his head. As the paranoia came to the fore, he came to fear some of his colleagues and along with his wife, Jiang Qing, they bred the Cultural Revolution. I believe Jiang, who was desperate to wipe out western cultural influences, was at least as much to blame as Mao - and then as the leader of the Gang of Four became increasingly so as the Revolution continued.

Is Mao really unique in having killed - or allowed to die is, I suggest, perhaps a more accurate description - many millions of his own people during peacetime? I don't think so. Millions died during the famines under Stalin's rule in the early 1930s. We should also remember that 3.3 million were deliberately killed in the Ukraine. That was murder, pure and simple - not the result of some ill-thought out idiotic government development plan. And it was done during peacetime! Then many were slaughtered during The Great Terror prior to the start but of the war! I believe Stalin was at least on a par with Mao, if not worse.

The Nazi legacy need not be rehashed here. But Hitler was definitely way up there! And I believe Pol Pot deserves not only a seat at that particular table, he should be at its head. Whilst the numbers murdered do not equate to those of the other three, Cambodia was tiny in comparison and the sheer, cold-blooded, genocidal terror he unleashed on his people - during peacetime! - was in sum and in ferocity beyond that of the other three. So I have Pol Pot as the worst.

PS. You mention Mao never lifted a finger to expel the Japanese. I don't see how he could have done that as Chiang Kai Shek more or less ran China at that time. Mao did not come to power until well after the Japanese had all left. He was certainly not unhappy that the Japanese had invaded as this so diverted Chiang's forces it no doubt helped Mao's communists rise to eventual power.

Nirish guy
March 23rd, 2017, 18:31
I do hope all those who visit the city will visit the Museum and the Killing Fields outside the city. They are far from pleasant sights and many cry.

And I was certainly one of the many. Man what a powerful and emotional place that was, you could almost feel the oppression and pain that had gone on there oozing from the brickwork.

My trip there along with the other must see places in P.P really brought it home to me about just how much PR and propaganda we're all fed by our OWN Governments as well the opposed side to get us to support their causes as when you seen some of the horrific pics on the walls and the deformed babies etc in the jars as a result of American chemical warfare such as agent Orange use and the use of napalm etc etc as well of course as the KR's crazed cruelty to their own people and the skulls ( as can be seen in FH's pic), SO many skulls, all just piled up around the place of course it really hit hard and left me quite shell shocked for the next few hours after I left.

So, when I say well worth a visit I mean it not in a light hearted "oh when there you'll really have to pop in and see" but more "you really SHOULD go and see what was carried out in the West's name too as by god we've a lot to answer for just as much as others have in terms of human suffering too".

FarangRuMak
March 25th, 2017, 14:17
Re fountainhall. Mao.
It’s my understanding that Mao’s forces did share (for a period) the same war theatre with the Nationalists and the Japanese and that he always avoided taking on the invaders when he could have done so.
Yes he did welcome the Japanese presence because they tied up his Chinese oponents in my view.
However I can see that you know more about this place and time than I do.
My other pet hate is the Little Corporal, by the way, but we can keep that for another day.