PDA

View Full Version : US is sending B-52s to Iraq & Syria

cdnmatt
March 9th, 2016, 06:55
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/08/politics/b52-bombers-isis/index.html

Yeah, you unfortunately read the title right. From the sounds of things, the US is actually going to deploy B-52s to Iraq and Syria. Holy fuck...

I mean, the B-52s aren't going to be equipped with laser & satellite guided missiles that can hit a specific target within a 3m radius to reduce civilian casualties. Quite the opposite, and they're basically designed to simply carpet bomb entire areas.

I'm at a bit of a loss for words, and can't believe the US is doing this. They obviously want this war to continue. Really, do they believe that by carpet bombing a couple countries with B-52s we'll end up having peace? They're not that stupid, so they obviously want war.

All that's going to happen is we're going to create more "terrorists", because it just so happens when you bomb some innocent guy's house and kill his wife and children in the process, he tends to get pretty pissed off.

I'm pretty sure carpet bombing other countries is against international law, but fuck it, what's anyone going to do? Anyone gets angry at the US, they just say, "keep your mouth shut or we'll shock & awe you".

Maxxy
March 10th, 2016, 13:35
Actually they carry smart bombs on the wing hard points and if those being deployed have been fitted with the new bomb bay launcher they will carry smart weapons galore. Just looks like they are resting the B1 bombers and crews that have been extremely busy. http://www.gizmag.com/b-52-weapons-bay/35706/

fountainhall
March 10th, 2016, 16:27
I'm pretty sure carpet bombing other countries is against international law, but fuck it, what's anyone going to do?
It's a bit late, but tell that to the peoples of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam! Laos remains the most bombed country in history - and that includes the two World Wars. The US spent $17 million per day (that's at exchange rates between 1964 and 1963) on bombing that country - an average of one bombing mission every eight minutes around the clock for nine years. It now spends all of $15 million per year to clean up its deadly remains.

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2016, 07:14
Actually they carry smart bombs on the wing hard points and if those being deployed have been fitted with the new bomb bay launcher they will carry smart weapons galore. Just looks like they are resting the B1 bombers and crews that have been extremely busy. http://www.gizmag.com/b-52-weapons-bay/35706/

Technically, yeah, B-52s are capable of "smart bombs". Realistically, we both know that's not what they're going to get used for. If the US wanted precision strikes, they would continue to use F-22s, A-10s, and so on. The B-52 is designed as a long-range heavy bomber, so if the US is deploying them, you can expect that's what they will be used for.

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2016, 18:10
It's a bit late, but tell that to the peoples of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam! Laos remains the most bombed country in history - and that includes the two World Wars. The US spent $17 million per day (that's at exchange rates between 1964 and 1963) on bombing that country - an average of one bombing mission every eight minutes around the clock for nine years. It now spends all of $15 million per year to clean up its deadly remains.

That's kind of the point though, isn't it? We haven't learned from our previous mistakes, or what? I'm no 5 star General who works at the Pentagon or anything, but I'm pretty confident deploying B-52s is only going to make things worse, and definitely isn't going to bring about peace.

Think they will do same as they did during the Vietnam war? If they have extra munitions after their mission, just dump them in any random area to get rid of them? What a fucken joke... worst part is, everyone is so used to hearing about war in the West, nobody gives a shit any more.

On an off note though, I never knew about the Canadian involvement in Cambodia that's still going on even today to get rid of the landmines Pol Pot left, until I went to Siam Riep and visted the landmine museum there. Definitely put a smile on my face, as I wasn't expecting to see the Canadian flag there.

francois
March 25th, 2016, 18:16
You worry too much matt! The B 52s might do some good in Iraq and Syria.