PDA

View Full Version : "Gallery" button at top menu

Moses
March 5th, 2016, 21:21
I'm working with forum's gallery now. Idea is to pull old photos of Thailand, Asia, boys, gay venues from old posts and to publish them to place where they will be easy visible. I hope to finish coding and design at next few days and will open it for all then.

Have to point once more: it will be forum's gallery - that means everyone can watch, rate/like/share and (may be) to comment, nobody can post own pictures there. For posting own pictures everyone has own albums in the own account (click your nickname near word "Welcome" at top of the forum, then look for "Albums" tab at left column).

goji
March 6th, 2016, 03:33
"vBulletin Message
We are sorry but you do not have permissions to view the gallery. Please speak with the administrator if you feel this is an error."

A gallery is a good idea. How do I get permission to view it ?

Marsilius
March 6th, 2016, 04:16
I sent a PM to Moses with the same question earlier today. This was his response:

"Gallery" is... forum's gallery. I'm working with it now - it will show photos from forum's history: they are now under thousands of topics and nobody can find them and watch what members have been posted here years ago: pictures of Thaialnd, photos from travels, photos of boys. It is locked now while I'm making design and coding.

I hope that helps.

Moses
March 6th, 2016, 05:03
I hope to finish coding and design at next few days and will open it for all then.

A gallery is a good idea. How do I get permission to view it ?

It isn't finished yet

cdnmatt
March 6th, 2016, 06:05
Guys... a simple "thank you Moses for all your hard work" would be better suited for this situation, instead of complaining that a button doesn't work.

Moses, how much time do you think you're putting into this project? Beginning to end, probably about 200 man-hours, eh? That's about say $16,000 USD of sweat equity, so pretty generous of you. Glad you're getting 50% of the board in the process.

Moses
March 6th, 2016, 06:57
instead of complaining that a button doesn't work

In fact the button works perfect: it does what it has to do - allows to admins to see gallery's work while it is in progress and shows to other members what to visit gallery is over permissions. I'm sorry for such disappointment - it is part of testing: button separate users as in future it will separate visitors and users - users will have possibility to watch gallery while visitors will see note about permissions and invitation to registration :) Or may be visitors will see only small preview - I didn't make decision yet. It should work for to involve more gays to our community.

About second question: it is over 360 already, not 200. And this is OK, I have no regrets about that: besides the help to community I got some new experience (I mean not the forum, but more about technical stuff). Here I have to say "thank you" to Surfcrest - his trusting in me helps to do what I'm doing, also while his part of the work isn't so technical but is the same huge. For now about 65-70% of our way to new modern site/forum/server is already done. Also I want to tell all: thank you for your patience, I know what changes bring a lot frustration at first steps, but all you make great support to me :)

bkkguy
March 6th, 2016, 18:29
Guys... a simple "thank you Moses for all your hard work" would be better suited for this situation, instead of complaining that a button doesn't work.

I would of thought that the measure of the success of a project should not be how much hard work was done but how well it achieved its objectives and how well those objectives matched the requirements of the end user!

bkkguy

Moses
March 6th, 2016, 18:34
I would of thought that the measure of the success of a project should not be how much hard work was done but how well it achieved its objectives and how well those objectives matched the requirements of the end user!

bkkguy

Absolutely true. The only detail is missed: only owners know what exactly is target group of the project and who exactly is end user.

cdnmatt
March 6th, 2016, 19:22

bkkguy

We're sitting here having conversations with each other on an online forum for gay Thailand, aren't we? So from a technical standpoint, I'd say Moses has done an outstanding job, and it's been a resounding success.

Now marketing is a different beast, but for the technicalities, I'd say it's humming along just fine. Then again, I do this type of thing for a living, so I probably have more empathy, as I know what Moses went through to get the new forum up and running like he did.

Moses
March 10th, 2016, 08:32
Gallery is switched ON and visible for registered and logged in users. Some categories are at filling stage and are invisible/closed yet.

oldfarang
March 19th, 2016, 17:49
Gallery questions. Very nice images btw.
1. Would it be possible to have the images after clicking on the little one, come up in an overlay viewer or at least in a new tab.
I know it has now a previous/next buttons, but not always would like to see all images.
2. I see comments on images is disabled (or not working). Why?
3. Would it be possible for members to upload images to the gallery somehow?
4, I think the galleries should be viewable for guests also. In time (if comments are allowed) Google will pick it up and get people to the gallery and probably after to the forum.
5. For Google a short description of the images helps (but one hell of a job)

Moses
March 19th, 2016, 18:14
Gallery questions. Very nice images btw.
1. Would it be possible to have the images after clicking on the little one, come up in an overlay viewer or at least in a new tab.
I know it has now a previous/next buttons, but not always would like to see all images.
2. I see comments on images is disabled (or not working). Why?
3. Would it be possible for members to upload images to the gallery somehow?
4, I think the galleries should be viewable for guests also. In time (if comments are allowed) Google will pick it up and get people to the gallery and probably after to the forum.
5. For Google a short description of the images helps (but one hell of a job)

Almost all images are collected from this forum - they have been posted by members at old times and haven't bigger version: old forum's software just resized them till that small size (usually till size when one side is 500 px), by this reason we haven't bigger version for overlay. Gallery can show bigger image where is possible: click "enlarge" check-box on the top of the image

Members can make own albums, this gallery intended to show pictures uploaded at the past of the forum

Commentary and visibility: this gallery has some problem with software - commentary system doesn't filter program code if it will be inserted to the comments field and it is vulnerability and potential hole for hack. So it is waiting for switching on till time when author or me will write patch for to strip inserted content to pure text. All categories are visible for all - for members and for guests - I just checked that.