PDA

View Full Version : Stick cold out this year, eh?

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2016, 04:51
Really, it's beginning of March already, and I haven't needed a fan for about 3 months now. I have my fan pushed as far away against the wall as I can, and even during mid-afternoon, it's debatable whether or not I should turn it on. During the afternoons, it's a touch too warm, but even with the fan on at low #1 setting, it's too cold.

Anyone else noticing the same? I'm not complaining, because this is absolutely perfect weather for me, but very unusual. I remember my parents visited a couple years ago in February, and my mom couldn't walk more than 5 minutes without complaining she's too hot. Definitely wouldn't be a problem this year.

Songkran is only 5 weeks away, so hopefully it warms up shortly, otherwise Songkran won't be much fun.

EDIT: And the next time I visit Canada, apparently I'm going to freeze my ass off. "Geez, it's only +27C. Cold out". heh.

scottish-guy
March 4th, 2016, 19:23
....I have my fan pushed as far away against the wall as I can.....it's debatable whether or not I should turn it on....During the afternoons, it's a touch too warm, but..(sometimes) it's too cold..

I'm not familiar with Canadian colloquialism - but is this some kind of reference to your vagina?

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2016, 19:54
No, the Canadian colloquialism was the ", eh?" part in the title. :) BTW... I always love it when non-Canadians (especially Americans) use "eh", because they never do it properly, and all us Canadians secretly laugh at them because they sound like idiots. :) (guaranteed, Surfcrest and Smiles just smiled upon reading that -- and if they didn't upon reading it, they just did now. :)).

Sorry, but the words "eh" and "sorry" are strictly reserved for Canadians.

But nonetheless, it is still unsually cold for this time of year. It's March 4th and I still don't even need a fan.

arsenal
March 4th, 2016, 20:09
In February it was cold enough for me to wear two shirts and a fleece. Bloody outrageous.

cdnmatt
March 4th, 2016, 20:24
Yeah, February was brutal. Cheap electric bill though, so I guess that's always a plus.

Something weird with the weather is going on though. Will be interesting to see what this summer brings.

Smiles
March 5th, 2016, 09:42
You talking about me, eh?
But you are quite right ... no one "eh's" like a Canadian, eh? (Which by the way -- an eh that is -- turns a regular sentence into a question real quick. So it does after all, have purpose).

cdnmatt
March 5th, 2016, 11:15
Exactly. Have you ever heard an American try to impersonate Canadians by saying "eh"? They suck at it, don't they?

They say stupid things. "I'm off to the mall, eh". or, "I like the color red, eh". I mean, it just doesn't make any sense, and all us Canadians snicker under our breath about the retarded Americans, with hopes they don't get too angry and invade us.

Anyway, word to non-Canadians I guess. Don't worry about using "eh" unless you're Canadian, because you're just going to fuck it up. I don't call cigs "fags", and I don't try saying "y'all", so don't worry about trying to say "eh", because you're just going to make a fool out of yourself. :)

Smiles
March 5th, 2016, 15:52
Anyway, word to non-Canadians I guess. Don't worry about using "eh" unless you're Canadian, because you're just going to fuck it up.
Yes, it's our culture, don't screw with it. Americans have Donald Duck ... oops, I meant Trump ... and Bitcoin.
Canadians have "eh", and unfortunately, poutine. (A tad neanderthal I suppose, but it makes us happy, and 'nice'.)

Nirish guy
March 5th, 2016, 17:40
Since when exactly do Canadians have dibs on the use of the word "eh" eh ? Us Brits have been using it ( correctly) for a very long time ourselves you know, hell one might even suggest that is where you guys picked it up from - eh ? :-)

And as for your accent you talk about your culture and yet you're happy to almost exactly mimic your US neighbours accent ( I believe this is intended as a cunning self defence plan so US citizens don't even realise that you ARE a different Country and hence it just never occurs to them to invade you !). So you happily mimic their god awful accent and yet when travelling someone says "are you American?" you get all self indignant and say "EXCUSE ME I'm CANADIAN actually" when it was your cunning self defence plan that caused the confusion in the first place !

( note my tongue is in my cheek right now before you all start apologising to me about that :-)

Smiles
March 5th, 2016, 18:48
Bullshit ;). Americans never get asked if they are Americans. Why, because they are all actually wearing or carrying something which shows they are Canadian: on their lapel, on their luggage, on their backpacks, on their phony leather passport holder. It's a well known ploy which works perfectly as they already know that being an American in this wonderful world can definitely be a major hindrance.
As for the British ... they don't pronounce it properly.
Check this out:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fACFeqRisXY

Nirish guy
March 5th, 2016, 19:04
That video clip is blocked here in the UK it seems, but if it's the Trump I'm going to bully my way into building whatever the fuck I want and insisting it's something great whilst in fact he's build a mediocre golf course at best bullying saga then thank god for the Scots who woke up to his bullshit and bullying and told him to fuck right off - both on a local and national level ( he and Alex Salmond are great friends now it seems - NOT and there's certainly no love lost between them). So as I say thank god the Scottish smelt Trump out for what he was and is and told him to do one, now just lets hope the good citizens of the US wake up and smell the coffee as they like to say and do likewise before it's too late for the West in general ( unfortunately I'm not holding my breath on that actually happening though :-(

Smiles
March 5th, 2016, 19:26
Damn this edit time limit!

Why would that youtube video be blocked in the UK? For Pete sake, it's available in this military dictatorship I reside in. (As is AEBN :confused: )
By the way, that golf course was indeed built and is now beng played upon. It was the wind turbines which he tried to put the kibosh on which was lost in court, not the golf course. The second course he wanted to build was abandoned.
And by the way, you are not the only one with his tounge in his cheek. Breathe mate. (So sayeth Mr Cruz)

Nirish guy
March 5th, 2016, 23:10
The video block is a licensing issue according to the screen message ?

Re the golf course yes I'm aware it was built but even re that course he made a massive amount of PR bullshit claims that it was going to be "the best course in the world" and have the best facilities anywhere and create SO many jobs in the local area etc etc - none of which has actually happened.

Yes an ok course was built( but let's face it that wouldn't be to hard to achieve considering the location) and apparently are CRAP and about a quarter of what was promised, just one mediocre club house, no spa, no big fancy hotel ( there is one small large hotel but nothing special), basically none of the top end luxury stuff he so boosted about.

They are of course saying everything from 'oh that's all still to come and are blaming the likes of that guy in the video for holding up progress and blaming the wind turbines for scaring away his investors but that's well accepted as bullshit now by most people here and now that he hasn't gotten his own way re the turbines he was basically threatening to take his ball and go home just because the Scottish Government didn't fall for his bluster and empty threats to leave the UK if he didn't get his way - and oh how we all wish here that it was true that he really WOULD !

Surfcrest
March 6th, 2016, 00:13
It's all perspective.

From a human's perspective, all zebras might look the same...just like, from a zebra's perspective all humans look the same.

You are both correct. When I'm traveling in Europe the Canadian accent gets pegged as American. When I'm in the States the differences in how we each sound is very defined. I think that's more indicative though of the many distinct accents from region to region that exist throughout the US.

A European who thinks we sound American has probably not travelled around the US from State to State much and a Canadian who has never been mistaken for an American probably doesn't travel through Europe very often.

Now here's the thing with eh. It sounds like a ? but it's not. It's more of a paraphrase. A digression. We just slide it in there to remind the person we are talking to, in case he isn't paying any attention, that whatever bit of humor or trivia I slipped into the conversation isn't part of the main theme. You need a little taste of Cape Bretan to hear the true magic of the word eh.

In Quebec, eh becomes lo and when I'm listening to Thais speak...na seems to be used much the same.

I write this from a beautiful Spring Day in Vancouver, the Tulips are well on their way, Daffadills finishing up and the Cherry trees are now all in full bloom. We've had tons of rain, the mountains full of snow (we stopped counting the avalanche victims this year) and an almost normal winter this year, compared to the sunny and dry winter last year...which lead to a terrible fire season. El NiƱo is supposed to pass over the next few months as the unusually warm Pacific temperatures normalize after a stormy 2 years out on the big ocean.

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
March 6th, 2016, 02:22
More biscuits for your morning tea :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA

http://www.much.com/5-times-south-park-really-understood-canadians/

Smiles
March 6th, 2016, 20:31
Re the golf course yes I'm aware it was built but even re that course he made a massive amount of PR bullshit claims that it was going to be "the best course in the world" and have the best facilities anywhere and create SO many jobs in the local area etc etc - none of which has actually happened.
Yes, and just one more reason that The Donald actually becoming POTUS is a (potential) horror story of biblical proportion. I assume the 65% of reasonable Americans who cannot stand the sight of the Great Ego will not let that happen, ....... but ...

Dalewood
March 6th, 2016, 23:30
Exactly. Have you ever heard an American try to impersonate Canadians by saying "eh"? They suck at it, don't they?

They say stupid things. "I'm off to the mall, eh". or, "I like the color red, eh". I mean, it just doesn't make any sense, and all us Canadians snicker under our breath about the retarded Americans, with hopes they don't get too angry and invade us.

Anyway, word to non-Canadians I guess. Don't worry about using "eh" unless you're Canadian, because you're just going to fuck it up. I don't call cigs "fags", and I don't try saying "y'all", so don't worry about trying to say "eh", because you're just going to make a fool out of yourself. :)

You can not screw up y'all. It is the plural of you. Give it a try next time you are in Atlanta. Now Baltimore is a weird city: It sits right on the y'all/yous line. And I did mean to put the "s" after "you".

cdnmatt
March 7th, 2016, 00:12
Ohhh, I lived in Texas for a year, so I'm pretty sure I could fuck up "y'all". Us Canadians don't do it though, because well, we're scared you'll invade us. :)

Would be a pretty short war, eh? More than likely, it'd be more of a, "ehhh, guys... how about instead of sending cruise missiles our way, we just invite you in for some maple syrup, poutine, beer, and a hockey game".

Not to mention, we have stupid names for our military aircraft. Previously, our Navy had a fleet of helicopters called the "Labrador" -- a big, dumb dog that jumps into the ocean -- not exactly the greatest name for a military helicopter. You Americans on the other hand have really cool names for yours -- Apache, Blackhawk, Osprey, etc. Those are cool names, not to mention far more powerful than our Labrador's. :)

cdnmatt
March 7th, 2016, 18:24
And while we're on the topic of culture and slang, I just realized something. Someone tonight asked me if I'm "luuk krueng" again, and I realized, that's actually extremely deragatory and rude. It literally translates to "half child".

So that means when little Johnny is growing up here with his Thai mom and farang dad, he literally gets called half a child all his life. That's a little rude, isn't it? Sorry little Johnny, you're not like the other boys and girls -- you're only half a kid.

scottish-guy
March 8th, 2016, 20:54
..You Americans on the other hand have really cool names for yours -- Apache, Blackhawk, Osprey, etc. Those are cool names, not to mention far more powerful than our Labrador's. :)

The Yanks are good at that - Enola Gay, and Little Boy were cool names too. Hell, even Fat Man had a ring to it.

catawampuscat
March 8th, 2016, 21:15
Tried to erase but need 10 letter minimum. Delete would be appropriate .

cdnmatt
March 14th, 2016, 16:40
And so much for it being cold out. Back up to +40C every afternoon. Only mid-March and already this warm -- might be in for a hot summer, or a stormy rainy season, or both.

Hopefully the rainy season comes sooner than later, as that always helps cool things down. I'm already at the point where I'm pulling the dogs into the office, closing the office door, and turning the A/C on in here so they can cool down a little.

Thinking about that, last rainy season had an unusual amount of thunder and lightening, didn't it? Usually there's not much thunder and lightening during rains here, but last year, it was nearly every day. Let's see what this year brings. Bring it on mother nature, I'm ready for ya!

http://texasforestcountryliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/flagguy-351x185.jpg