PDA

View Full Version : Bagan Dawn Balloon Flights

fountainhall
March 2nd, 2016, 10:19
Not sure if this is the right forum. I plan to go to Myanmar sooner rather than later. The photos I have seen of the dawn balloon flights over all the temples in Bagan look stunning. They are very expensive. Has anyone done that short balloon trip - do you reckon it is worth it?

Andaman!
March 2nd, 2016, 14:23
I have not done it but only because I left the booking until late and it was fully booked with all operators for the three days I was in Bagan. Some of the other people I was travelling with did do it and said it was an amazing experience. I regretted missing it. On the last morning we had an early start to get to the aerodrome for an early flight to Inle Lake. On route all the balloons were flying and it was an amazing site seeing them over the pagodas from the ground. Whilst in Myanmar, don't miss Inle Lake, it was a real highlight of my trip and the sunset trip in canoe and the all day boat trip to Indein in with its thousands of stupas were truly breathtaking. You can fly from Bagan to Heho from where it is less than an hours journey to the lake. I recommend Mann Yadanarpon Airlines which has very modern fleet and appears well run. We also flew with Yangon Airlines which had aged aircraft and the internal cabin was not well maintained and it did not run to schedule.

Moses
March 2nd, 2016, 16:49
Not sure if this is the right forum. I plan to go to Myanmar sooner rather than later. The photos I have seen of the dawn balloon flights over all the temples in Bagan look stunning. They are very expensive. Has anyone done that short balloon trip - do you reckon it is worth it?

Thus hot balloon flights can't be cheap: it is question of safety - pilots are known European and American sportsmen with modern very expensive equipment, they expect normal salary in accordance with homeland standards, cost of tickets has to cover it.

Each day if weather is good it is possible to make only 2 flights: at sunrise and at sunset - only at that time difference btw temperatures of hot air in balloon and outside air is allowing to make safe flight: balloon has power to lift itself and 6-12 people. Also pls take in account what season of flights lasts from November till March: at other months conditions aren't safe (again: March - June are too hot, then July - October too rainy (rain makes balloon more heavy).

fountainhall
March 3rd, 2016, 10:15
Thanks Moses and Andaman!. The hot air balloon flights are clearly one of those "must do" experiences despite cost. I'll make sure I book early.

lukylok
March 3rd, 2016, 14:50
I can only confirm that you will forget the cost, as the experience is unique. I did it also in the King's Valley in Louxor, but this is far better !

fedssocr
March 7th, 2016, 01:17
It was worth every penny to me when I did it. It is definitely an early morning wake up call.

My flight was about 1:15 due to light winds the morning I went. According to our pilot we got an extra bonus due to that since they only advertise :45 to 1:00.

When I went it was only Balloons Over Bagan flying, but now I think there are 3 companies all doing the same thing. Which makes the sky a bit more crowded so I am not sure how that might effect things.

Also agree on Inle Lake. I ended up liking it there much more than I expected.

Moses
March 7th, 2016, 01:32

4 companies each has up to 10 balloons... some days sky is quite "crowded"

Moses
March 7th, 2016, 01:51
https://youtu.be/8epwUR6BBos

4K UltraHD 8 min video

Moses
March 15th, 2016, 09:41
By the way: hot balloons are now only way to see sunrises in Bagan "in full": watching sunrise from pagodas has been forbidden:

Anger in tourism industry after govt bans Bagan sunset viewingBangkokpost 23 February 2016
Tourism industry leaders in Bagan have condemned a Ministry of Culture decision to ban visitors from climbing on ancient pagodas in the world-renowned archaeological zone.
Tourism industry leaders in Bagan have condemned a Ministry of Culture decision to ban visitors from climbing on ancient pagodas in the world-renowned archaeological zone.
Watching the sunset from the top of a pagoda is one of Bagan’s main tourism drawcards, and is regularly cited as a “must-do” when visiting Myanmar.
But the Ministry of Culture said on Monday all climbing on pagodas would be banned from March 1, following public backlash against a video showing a song-and-dance performance on top of one structure, the Myanmar Times reported on Tuesday.
The ministry said in a post to its Facebook page that it took the decision because a medical company had conducted a cultural show on Pyathagyi Pagoda in the second week of February, describing dancing and singing on pagodas as having an “ugly impact” on Myanmar’s culture.
The ban will also ensure the pagodas are “maintained for the long term”, the ministry said.
The growing number of local and foreign visitors to Bagan – the number of foreigners has more than doubled since 2011, from 120,000 to 250,000 last year – means hundreds are turning up each evening to ascend the temples, placing strain on the ancient structures.
But tourism business operators in Bagan were scathing of the decision, which they said was poorly thought out and damaging for the industry.
“I’m totally against the decision. The main reason tourists come here is to enjoy the views from the pagodas. This will damage the image of Bagan,” said Zaw Win Cho, chairman of the Bagan Guide Association.
“We want this decision to be reconsidered. They can punish this [medical] company directly. If they think climbing damages the pagodas, they should only allow it on temples that have no ancient art, have a strong structure and can hold over 300 people. That would solve the problem,” he said.
Another business owner in Bagan suggested that alternative viewing sites should be arranged before any ban is introduced.
“Tourists will be upset when they come and visit to Bagan but are not allowed to climb the pagodas,” said Khin Maung Htwe from New Bagan, who runs a travel agency and restaurant. He said businesses were also upset at the ministry’s failure to consult with them before making decisions about managing the archaeological site.
Bagan has more than 3000 ancient pagodas and temples, of which five are particularly popular for watching sunsets: Shwesandaw, Thitsarwady, Pyathetgyi, Shwenanyindaw and Oah Chan Pae Kone.
As the Myanmar Times reported last month, the Japan International Cooperation Agency has proposed building a raised earthen bank at the northwest corner of Nyaung Lat Phat pond near Sulamani temple for tourists to watch sunsets. The proposal is being considered by the government. — with Komsan Suwannarat and 5 others.

fedssocr
March 15th, 2016, 09:54
They did later walk that back a bit and will still allow people to climb on 5 of the big temples. Which means those 5 will fall down faster.