PDA

View Full Version : Genuine advice please.

arsenal
March 1st, 2016, 14:35
My passport will have 2 days less than 6 months left before it expires at the start of my next Thailand trip. Is this likely to be a problem at immigration?

neddy3
March 1st, 2016, 15:32
That is a risk I would not take.

cdnmatt
March 1st, 2016, 15:51
What are you going under? If you're just showing up, and getting stamped in for a 30 day VISA exempt stamp, wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you have something like a double / triple entry tourist VISA, or a 1 year VISA of some kind, then it might be cause for concern.

fountainhall
March 1st, 2016, 17:15
Most Thai visas require a minimum of six months validity. I am not sure what the rule is for the visa exempt 30 days entry stamps. However this might not simply be a problem with Thai Immigration. Your airline may refuse to take you if you have less than six months validity in your passport. As neddy3 suggests, don't even think about risking it!

Mancs
March 1st, 2016, 17:55
Below is a traveller's experience in 2011 from another forum:
"I was recently denied boarding onto a China Southern flight to Bangkok because my passport expires in 4 months, and Thailand has a six-month validity rule. The decision to deny me came after much confusion on the part of the ticketing staff and manager. They knew of the six-month rule, but apparently it is usually not enforced for US passport holders. The computer at the ticketing counter said I could go, all that was needed a valid passport. The manager checked "the back office" and said she found conflicting information - the 6-month rule is hard and fast. Then the manager checked with other managers of other airlines, and told me they said I could go. She actually issued my boarding pass, and checked in my luggage. THEN she said oh wait, she just got a call from the manager of Thai airlines, who said she should not let me board. So she took the boarding pass back, and retrieved my luggage."

Dodger
March 1st, 2016, 18:34
Arsenal...

You're probably aware of this already, but in case you're not, you can get a new passport in 24 hours. You'll have to pay a few hundred dollars for the service - but the new passport is good for 10 years and you won't have to worry about this. You can find an expediting service easily ...just keyword search "Fast Passport".

scottish-guy
March 1st, 2016, 19:54
Arsenal - I assume it's a UK Passport?

You can get a new passport issued in 4 hours for £128 - if you can visit an issuing office in person - or £103 for 1 week service

Go here ...

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-day-or-1-week-service

...for a list of participating offices and to make an appointment

Absolutely no need to pay a third-party.

:p

PS: I observe the link is being abbreviated to "One Week" service but it's actually a link to the one day service too.

cdnmatt
March 1st, 2016, 21:51
No idea about UK passports, but I know for Canadian passports, you generally need a genuine excuse to use the "urgent processing" options. And the "I'm horny, and need to get to a go-go bar" excuse probably isn't good enough.

You could always just lie though. The one time I got a passport, I ended up with the 48 hour option -- they wouldn't give me the 24 hour option, as they said timing was too tight for processing. I lied to get the 48 hour option though, and said my dad had a stroke, and I needed to get to Malaysia ASAP. Worked though.

arsenal
March 1st, 2016, 22:50
Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. It's a little more complicated because I don't currently live in the UK but even that is not the big problem, the big problem is getting my visa transferred to the new passport which is quite a hassle. That's why I asked about the rigidity of the rules.

lego
March 1st, 2016, 23:47
Thai immigration would admit you, as they changed the rules a few years ago. Airlines should be aware of that, as they can access a database with such rules. However, being denied boarding remains a possibility you'd need to prepare for (print the rules and ask for a supervisor if necessary).

Also, how about the country you're currently living in that isn't the UK - are you sure they will let you back in with that passport?

goji
March 2nd, 2016, 01:50
Incidentally, you can renew a passport I think as much as 6 months before expiry and still keep the old expiry date.

My last one expired in January, but I got it replaced 5 months early, with the new one valid for 10 years and 5 months.

If you already have the visa, then either getting some kind of written confirmation on the rules from the Thai authorities or moving your flight by 2 days could be options to deal with the problem.

arsenal
March 2nd, 2016, 08:31
I've e-mailed the Thai embassy in London. I'll publish their reply if and when it comes.

sjaak327
March 3rd, 2016, 01:11
Thailand scrapped the 6 month validity rule quite a few years ago, it now just needs to be valid for the duration of your stay and subsequent return flight.

arsenal
March 3rd, 2016, 09:00
Sjaak: That's not what it says on the London Embassy website. It says 6 months although I don't know if that is enforced. Well anyway they didn't reply so I'll renew my passport before I go.

sjaak327
March 3rd, 2016, 14:39
Thai embassies and consulates websites often are hopelessly outdated.

IATA's Timatic (the system most airlines use to determine visa requirements) does no longer mention this requirement (as I stated, it was scrapped by Thailand several years ago).

You seem to imply you have a stamped Thai tourist visa. Do you really believe the embassy or consulate would give you the visa if your passport does not comply with current regulations ?

The only worry is the next destination, if that isn't a country you are a national or resident off, you might get problems IF that country does enforce six months validity.

I know several people who have travelled to Thailand on passports that were much nearer to expiration as yours.

Having said that, I guess peace of mind is king here, so renewing your passport might be the best option.

Forky123
March 3rd, 2016, 15:14
Just because people get away with it 9 times out of 10 doesn't help you much if you're the 1 out of 10 who has their holiday trashed by meeting the official who got out of bed the wrong side that morning.

arsenal
March 3rd, 2016, 15:21
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I've started the renewal process so I'll see that through. If the Thai Embassy ever do send me a reply then I shall let you know.

Dodger
March 3rd, 2016, 17:17
Arsenal...

I just went through the process of obtaining my first Non-Immigrant O-A Visa and did this here in the U.S. One of the requirements was of course that I had 6 months validity on my passport when applying, which I did, and the Visa was granted. As far as I know, and I have read all of the Thai Visa policies, there is no requirment that addresses the life of a passport relative to the duration of a persons trip to Thailand. If there was 6 months left on your passport when you applied for the Visa and they granted the Visa, at least according to the policies I've read, you should be OK. Having said that, when dealing with Thais it's always better to aire on the side of caution.

Also, just so you are aware, you can get a new passport at your embassy in Bangkok. The processing time is about two weeks...they allow you to carry your old passport until your new one is granted...it costs $100 U.S...and they give you a form which you then take to a Thai Immigration office in order to salvage your current Visa and have it transferred to the new passport. If by chance you choose this option, go on-line tn make an appointment at your embassy in Bangkok first, as most do not accept walk-ins, and read the requirements.

Good luck