PDA

View Full Version : Feedback

Surfcrest
February 21st, 2016, 03:04
Members,

This thread is for members to let us know their feedback with the new site, including the front page with the articles and the Forum, now in vBulletin.

Please start a new thread for each concern!

The controls are similar to the old phpBB...but there are differences.

Look at this like a new car, with the new controls.

The "Like" function is a "Rating" tool above the post.

While you explore, Moses and I will continue to make adjustments to have this looking sharp and professional.

Surfcrest & Moses

Moses
February 21st, 2016, 04:27
Dear friends!
Welcome to new forum :)

Short note from me: this software demands bare installation. For now only basic functions and design have been installed. I will work next few weeks with upgrade and setup. First plans: to tune design for to make it more readable (bigger fonts, better text contrast, more wide screen, better image presentation and so on).

Surfcrest
February 21st, 2016, 04:57
Missing Toolbar

Moses
February 21st, 2016, 05:10

I have it...

BTW: as I see we also should setup how to show pictures in posts...

But now I'm going to sleep: it is 2AM here and for past 3 days I slept only 10 hours...

cdnmatt
February 21st, 2016, 08:10
Looking good so far! Only thing I can see is that it says I have 126 out of maximum 50 private messages in my inbox.

Is that limit of 50 supposed to be there? Should I wipe my inbox? I don't think there's anything special in there anyway.

Surfcrest
February 21st, 2016, 08:28
Yes, if you can hang on we'll try to up the limit. I know we were able to do it on the test Forum, so it is possible.

Surfcrest

loke
February 22nd, 2016, 23:39
I liked the old forum better , the colors , design etc. Progress? I don't know.

Moses
February 22nd, 2016, 23:47

It has been just necessary: the old software was not secured against hacks - developers abandoned it few years ago.

Smiles
February 23rd, 2016, 21:44
Loke I understand what you are saying. At first I thought changing to an entirely new board might perhaps not be the best idea ... especially when the Damocles sword hanging over the whole concept might well mean the loss of many loyal and important members.

Still not sure whether that gloomy event will or will not happen, but ... you really should give the New Look a chance.
After some screwing around with the joint I must say that it really is an easy board to navigate. If you're anything like me, I'm no fan of huge piles of new features most of which I will never use. But if you want it simple and un-complicated this new board can accomodate you with no problem. A small amount of tweeking to suit your desires are pretty easy to accomplish, and after that the place really does look like the old phpBB system. Not 100% but fairly close.
I like a board which is technically simple and does not annoy me, and the Mods stay hidden behind the trees. I would guess most folks think that way as well.

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2016, 21:45
Moses, just fyi... increase the session length. Not sure what vBulletin allows, but if possible, allow session length for as long as the browser is open. Otherwise, I can basically promise you'll begin getting complaints from other users. I just logged in, typed up a post, and upon submitting was already logged out due to the session length.

Moses
February 23rd, 2016, 21:59
Moses, just fyi... increase the session length. Not sure what vBulletin allows, but if possible, allow session length for as long as the browser is open. Otherwise, I can basically promise you'll begin getting complaints from other users. I just logged in, typed up a post, and upon submitting was already logged out due to the session length.

Thank you!

In fact it is 24 hours, but in case of inactivity user must to login again in 20 minutes: it is security option for users who use public computers from hotels or internet-cafe: it will be hard to hijack their profiles and take under control their accounts. I can increase that time, but we can face with stealing of accounts then.

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2016, 22:07
Up to you. :)

But yeah, I know how fun the game of user-friendliness vs. security is. I tend to piss all my clients off with the security measures I put in place. :)

Smiles
February 23rd, 2016, 22:24
20 minutes to time-out is ridiculous. Cndmatt's prediction comes true: I'm the first, but not the last, to whine.

Moses
February 23rd, 2016, 22:27
Then just don't be lazy and mark "keep me..." box at time of login

Moses
February 23rd, 2016, 22:37
As per me: I use passwords like 9u73ZGqh!rUX%&Eg at hundreds of places/sites and don't care to remember them: me and BF have installed Last Pass application on phones, computers, tablets instead, and this application keeps our passes for us, also we exchange and easy show to each other own passes easy: "Darling do you remember pass from our server in Germany? Dear, I just send it to your LastPass"... Thats all.

When you enter any locked space with pass you just click LastPass button instead to think "shit, what password and login I have here?".

cdnmatt
February 23rd, 2016, 23:24
Not to be a jerk, but Last Pass has had multiple vulnerabilities found within it. You should use KeepassX, as it's far more secure.

Moses
February 24th, 2016, 00:07
Not to be a jerk, but Last Pass has had multiple vulnerabilities found within it. You should use KeepassX, as it's far more secure.

does it already has 2-factor authentication?

Smiles
February 24th, 2016, 08:14
Then just don't be lazy and mark "keep me..." box at time of loginOF COURSE!! ​A 'Keep Me' box! (I should've known). Where's that?

Moses
February 24th, 2016, 08:27
OF COURSE!! ​A 'Keep Me' box! (I should've known). Where's that?

here it is:

loke
February 24th, 2016, 21:12
So if the "keep me box" has been marked , the session time will be unlimited , even if you forget to close the window ?

Moses
February 24th, 2016, 21:30
So if the "keep me box" has been marked , the session time will be unlimited , even if you forget to close the window ?

Depends on browser and it's setup. But in general yes, while it is still possible what at some browsers it will be 24 hours. Zoo of browsers are giantic now, so "nobody knows" :)))

loke
February 24th, 2016, 21:46
I just found out how to post a Youtube video , but that was a lot of work ! I had to copy and paste a BB code from somewhere else and insert the youtube code , I see no tools for this under 'Go Advanced'.

Moses
February 24th, 2016, 21:52
I just found out how to post a Youtube video , but that was a lot of work ! I had to copy and paste a BB code from somewhere else and insert the youtube code , I see no tools for this under 'Go Advanced'.

BB for video is switched off by security reason. I'm working on it right now. It is planned to deploy in 4 hours if everything will be OK.

Moses
February 25th, 2016, 00:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDvmWI6PFCs

from now everything with video will be much more easy, please read this post http://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?17629-BB-Code-Instruction-1&p=203258&viewfull=1#post203258

Surfcrest
February 25th, 2016, 16:01
I'll see what I can do.

Surfcrest