PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been asked to send bail money?

Chuai-Duai
February 12th, 2016, 23:30
Over the years IтАЩve seen most of the Thai Guys appeals for money such as dead buffaloes, storm damaged roofs, sick mothers etc etc. But IтАЩve just had an email from a Thai guy which IтАЩd not heard of before. He says heтАЩs in prison for drunk driving (a motorcycle) and needs 7000 THB for bail or he will will have to stay in prison for 15 days. He says he frightened and in a cell with a drug addict. He says he will also loose his job.

What do you think? Genuine or is this another ploy that people have heard of.

As far as IтАЩm aware heтАЩs honest when IтАЩm with him as heтАЩs absolutely hopeless at telling lies to my face but a Facebook message is another matter and he does ask for money occasionally but I always refuse.

I was interested to note, however, that the latest friend added to his Facebook list this morning is a Policeman from PattayaтАж

Moses
February 12th, 2016, 23:37
If he in cell already, how he contacts you then? Do you think it is possible to phone/sms/email from Thai cell? If he isn't in cage yet, how he knows who will be mate in cell ("with drug addict")?

Chuai-Duai
February 12th, 2016, 23:45
He wrote that the Facebook messages were done on friend's mobile but I've no idea if that's possible in a Thai jail. That's why I was asking if anybody had heard of this ploy before. I've tried to call him but without success.

Manforallseasons
February 12th, 2016, 23:58
Probably a ploy! Ask which "Monkey House" he is in, if it is local to you go there in person otherwise just move on.

Dodger
February 13th, 2016, 04:27
Mobile phones are not allowed in local jails or prisons.

It's a common scam.

Tiktak63
February 13th, 2016, 04:29
If he can send an email then he'll be able to send a pic of his surroundings. I'd be asking for that.

RichLB
February 13th, 2016, 06:39
I've encountered a similar situation before, but in my case my friend was in the jail at the local police station. Contact rules were very lax and it would have been quite possible to loan him the use of my phone while he was locked up. If I were you, I'd tend to believe him, but if suspicious you might visit the local police station and ask the desk officer if the story makes sense and then act accordingly.

a447
February 13th, 2016, 09:20
If he's been caught drunk driving, then let him stay in prison. That's where he belongs.

arsenal
February 13th, 2016, 11:23
I'm with a447. Hope he learns his lesson because otherwise the next time he might ride his bike under a lorry. But it does sound like a scam to me.

Smiles
February 13th, 2016, 11:37
True, 15 days is not a long time. He'll probably be out before this topic has run its course, or the OP has figured out how to get the money to him.
On the other hand, 700 baht is hardly a large amount ... hardly enough to start a worried post asking for advice about it.
WTF .... Pay the poor kid 700 baht and demand 3 or 4 blowjobs.

francois
February 13th, 2016, 13:03
Your are slipping Smiles! 7000 Baht not 700 Baht

neddy3
February 13th, 2016, 13:30
Well spotted francois.

Yes, I'm afraid that the amount sought is worth considerably more than a few blowjobs!

Smiles
February 13th, 2016, 13:53
Your are slipping Smiles! 7000 Baht not 700 Baht
Oh my god, what a faux pas. Pardon me. I'm getting as bad as MFAS.
This serious upgrading of the costs involved changes everything! My advise now is ... forget the little drunken slut and let him rot in jail until he has learned his lesson.

latintopxxx
February 13th, 2016, 15:41
...sounds genuine...i would give him the 7k...he'll be soooo grateful, shack up with u and fulfill your every wish.

lego
February 14th, 2016, 00:00
The numbers don't add up. Substitute jail time for failure to pay a fine is 200 baht per day, so if he'd be jailed for 15 days, the fine in question would be 3,000 baht. That said, 7,000 baht or a longer jail term sounds more realistic for DUI.

RichLB is right, while in police custody and not yet inside an actual prison it's quite possible that he can use his phone, at least while he's being visited. Especially if he's on friendly terms with some of the officers.

Finally, I once got a call from a notorious thief when police finally caught him. His request was somewhat similar, police hadn't logged his arrest yet and they were willing to let him go, at a price. I declined and so did others he asked, he subsequently got sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for various thefts.

egel
February 14th, 2016, 03:52
Yes, I have had this happen.
Got a message from the boys friend saying he was I the slammer for driving his motor bike drunk. Needed 10,000 bt to get out. I.e. Pay off the cops.
I refused and he eventually got the money somehow or other.
I've since talked to him about it and I believe he was inside.
I have also read other stories about this and the 7000 is probably to pay off the cops. In the same story the farang again refused to pay and the boy was fined 2000 baht the next day.
Don't pay.

loke
February 16th, 2016, 00:25
If the boy is broke the cops will let him go after a few days if the offense is not too serious. bribe money can be paid as little as 500 baht . It depends on the situation really .
Whatever you do , do not pay him anything,

christianpfc
February 16th, 2016, 21:26
No.

He says heтАЩs in prison for drunk driving (a motorcycle) and needs 7000 THB for bail or he will will have to stay in prison for 15 days. He says he frightened and in a cell with a drug addict. He says he will also loose his job.
Rightfully so! Even if it's true, I wouldn't send money. He can get a new job easily.

...sounds genuine...i would give him the 7k...he'll be soooo grateful, shack up with u and fulfill your every wish.
I don't think so. I once invited a boy for sightseeing in Bangkok whom I knew from Pattaya, but who had to flee Pattaya because he owed money to people. After sightseeing, I gave him 1000 Baht and told him which bus to use to get home and put him at the bus stop in the right direction. No sooner had I walked 50 meters away, I see him hailing down the next passing taxi. Then two days later a call: the money is all spent, can I get more?

Ivory
February 17th, 2016, 17:15
Bail money for drunk driving is about 30 000B as i know.

lego
February 17th, 2016, 17:27
Bail money for drunk driving is about 30 000B as i know.
For foreigners, that is.

christianpfc
February 17th, 2016, 17:37
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

Traditionally, bail is some form of property deposited or pledged to a court to persuade it to release a suspect from jail, on the understanding that the suspect will return for trial or forfeit the bail (and possibly be brought up on charges of the crime of failure to appear). In some cases, bail money may be returned at the end of the trial, if all court appearances are made, regardless of whether the person is found guilty or not guilty of the crime accused.
Drunk driving is easily detected (breath test instantly, blood sample for confirmation test in laboratory takes a bit longer), there is no suspect. I wonder about "bail money may be returned", I would have guessed bail is returned if the suspect shows up for trial.

Technically, the boy would get the bail money back when he goes to trial, but I wonder how many Thai boys can resist the temptation of spending it.

Bribing your way out of drunk driving is a completely different matter.

BonTong
February 17th, 2016, 21:34
Have some experience bailing Thai guys for the same here in Chiang Mai. 10,000 (Tai Yai or foreigner 20K) gets them out of the Police station for the night, but have to go back to court next day (unless Sunday). Fine 5-10K depending on what the alcohol level was. Through the lawyer it was always knocked down a bit. I heard over 100 is an automatic 30 days in gaol, but can't confirm that. Our worst was 94. :-o

The big alcohol stops are often BIB from a different unit, who don't take bribes (well, so they say.... TIT), but the offender is then consigned to the local Police station where other rules apply =)) . But, it gets more expensive once there is a paperwork trail in place.

Whilst in the local Police custody they can still use phones etc to call for help. Never had a problem getting bail money back, though always made sure the officiating BIB received a "tip". If you have to pay bail money, go to the Police station, show your passport and you will get an official receipt DO NOT send it too the boy!!!!!! L-)

7K sounds more like the court fine, and he ain't leaving until it's paid, or he's suffered a few days inside in lieu. Wether it's bail or an official fine there will be paperwork, if the boy can't produce it, or the name of the Police station, who to speak to (even to pay a bribe) then it's a scam.

christianpfc
February 18th, 2016, 10:50
What is 100 and 94? It does not fit any unit for measurement of blood alcohol content
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content
In Germany, we use 1 permille (тА░).

Nirish guy
February 18th, 2016, 16:01
"It does not fit any unit for measurement of blood alcohol content" ( That you know of it seems)

It stands for - 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood ( thats for in the UK)

In Thailand the maximum allowed level is 50 mg ( or the Thai scientific equation being 10,000 baht per the number of policemen present when you're arrested i.e just as much Baht as you can afford to pay to allow you to get away with it).

scottish-guy
February 18th, 2016, 16:31
...80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood ( thats for in the UK)..

Not quite, Nirish - the limit in Scotland has been 50mg for some time.

:-B

Nirish guy
February 18th, 2016, 16:36
Oh yes of course, I keep forgetting about the whole devolution thing and forgot about that change.

Damned inconsiderate of you all I say, even one pint just at lunchtime now along with your Ploughmans and you're running the risk of being buggered now it seems :(

Buggered in the non sexual way there I should add before certain members start flocking to Scotland to start drinking and driving in the the hope of getting caught ! :-)

a447
February 18th, 2016, 18:27
Bugger!

Just when I'd started looking for flights!

BonTong
February 18th, 2016, 20:28
What is 100 and 94? It does not fit any unit for measurement of blood alcohol content

The question has already been answered, but it really doesn't matter, its just a number. The test machines I've seen here have a nice big red readout of the number. Over 50 and your buggered, over 100 and your doubly buggered. Unlike in Scotland, time the Kathoeys catch up with you in gaol it may well be in the sexual sense :-o :-o

goji
February 20th, 2016, 21:02
Drunken driving is a hazard to others, so I wouldn't send him a single baht for that.

Chuai-Duai
February 22nd, 2016, 01:04
I’ve now spoken to my friend and to one of his friends who speaks better English. I’ve also seen some photos of his damaged motorcycle. I’ve no doubt that the accident did happen and he was held at the Police Station for one night.

His boss turned out to be more understanding than he expected and gave him an advance of 2,000 Baht on his salary so he didn’t loose his job. His friends then got together and lent him the other 5,000 to get him out of the Police Cell.

The “bail” was initially set at 10,000 Baht but was subsequently reduced to 7,000 Baht and threats of court appearances seem to have been dropped.

He didn’t ask again for money and I didn’t send him any.

Mancs
July 26th, 2020, 22:50
When a Cambodian man I was with was arrested for overstay by police at a drugs stop we went to the police station in the back of a police van. The cops asked for 5,000 bt to forget it and he bargained them down to 3,000. I presume he used the 'Mother Hubbard' negotiating gambit (the cupboard is bare). Since it was my 3,000 I consider this a result. He did offer to pay me back but I said no to that as he didn't have much. As others have said, 'bail' can be a flexible concept.

latintopxxx
July 27th, 2020, 03:50
...times r tough for all including the police with all the entertainment establishments closed their tea money revenue stream has all but died up...as for your Cambodian...hes got a body...surely u could come to an arrangement...just saying..

Zebedee
July 27th, 2020, 14:25
...times r tough for all including the police with all the entertainment establishments closed their tea money revenue stream has all but died up...as for your Cambodian...hes got a body...surely u could come to an arrangement...just saying..

Latin....forever the kindhearted.....just saying.

latintopxxx
July 27th, 2020, 16:42
..have u ever considered that he's loosing face by having to accept charity ...

arsenal
July 27th, 2020, 16:51
An overcome with the spirit of human kindness Latin wrote.
"..have u ever considered that he's loosing face by having to accept charity ..."

Seriously!
'You want boy? Tip for me?'

They teach them that in kindergarten.

latintopxxx
July 27th, 2020, 17:00
...LOL...ROFL...wish :D

christianpfc
July 27th, 2020, 22:24
A friend from Myanmar who used to work in Bangkok without a visa for Thailand once told me he got caught by police and had to pay 10 kTHB (no visa and no work permit).

A friend from Lao recently asked me to translate the following from Thai to English: he got caught while trying to cross the Mekong and needs 25 kTHB to be released. On his facebook posts of normal life continue.

I have sent the one or other boy 500 or 1000 or in rare cases even 2000 THB, but if anyone hits me up with such numbers: sorry, cannot!

goji
July 28th, 2020, 00:01
Hiring someone a couple of times does not mean we are liable to act as an insurer of last resort for any bar boys.

Or even be on a panel of "insurers", along with all the other punters they have had in the last few years.

As for 25,000 baht for crossing the Mekong, surely the police who are experienced in the process of bribe collection expect to negotiate the bribe for a minor offence to a level where the victim can actually afford to pay it ? So rightly or wrongly, I would immediately assume a boy asking for 25,000 is just making a fraudulent request.

bucknaway
July 28th, 2020, 00:58
A few years ago, the guy in my profile pic was locked up in a beach sweep. He's not Thai. He was kept in the johmtien police building. An officer let him use his phone to ask for someone to pay his way out of jail. He asked me for 900 and to bring it to the station. Then I got a message saying his friend would take the money because if I came the price for his freedom may double or triple. His lady friend came to me and asked for double the money I was told. When I told her that she sheepishly smiled and said okay.

Shortly after that he walked out the building.

latintopxxx
July 28th, 2020, 03:48
goji...25k is nothing for a MB...less rthan a weeks earnings if we are to believe how generous almost everyone here is when engaging their services...

christianpfc
July 29th, 2020, 22:10
Earning 25 kTHB and saving 25 kTHB are two different things.

Those 25 kTHB were probably to bribe his way out of the situation (whereas the thread starter asked for a bail, i.e. the money is just a deposit so the accused can walk free until trial), or more probably an attempt to scam money from a foreigner. The boy in question is not a money boy (at least the two or three times we met, he hold other jobs) and speaks no or poor English.