PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feeling the freeze?

cdnmatt
January 25th, 2016, 08:51
I guess it's mainly up north, but Bangkok seems to be a little chilly these days too:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... r-thailand (http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/836992/cold-spell-covers-upper-thailand)

It's +11C right now at 10am, but earlier this morning I noticed it was all the way down to +7C. Granted, I would prefer this over the +44C summer days, but still, this is quite chilly for Thailand. Aside from right now, the next coldest I can remember is +16C at night.

fountainhall
January 25th, 2016, 10:15
As the saying goes, when China sneezes South East Asia catches a cold. I was in Hong Kong on Saturday and it was bitterly cold. In fact, the weather this weekend is the worst there for more than 20 years. It's not unusual for surges of the north-east winter monsoon to result in lower temperatures here in Thailand, but this one is particularly bad. There is an intense polar vortex moving south and so this weather is likely to continue for several more days unfortunately.

francois
January 25th, 2016, 11:24
Definitely chilly in Pattaya! Luckily had to postpone a visit to Hong Kong this week since I have no warm clothing.

Jellybean
January 25th, 2016, 12:55
Yes cdnmatt, IтАЩm also feeling the chill here in Bangkok. ThereтАЩs been a rather cold breeze all day. My digital clock shows 22C, but it feels much colder than that. IтАЩm going out later and might consider wearing the top I usually reserve for my journey back to the UK.

Last night was the first time I slept without the need for air-con or a fan.

There is an intense polar vortex moving south . . .
Crikey fountainhall! That sounds rather worrying. Scenes from the movie The Day After Tomorrow spring to mind. Perhaps weтАЩll be snow swimming here before too long. I believe itтАЩs currently all the rage in West Virginia. :-s

cdnmatt
January 25th, 2016, 13:24
Yeah, looks like we're stuck with this weather for a few more days. According to weather forecasts, should begin warming up on the 27th, then be back to normal on the 28th.

Started early yesterday morning, and weather literally dropped 15 - 20C. Right now, it's 2:30pm, and according to my tablet it's only +13C. Even on a cold day, it should be at least +28C right now, it not in the mid-30s. Got a decent rain storm out of it though, so that was nice, as the yard needed a drink.

It's not too bad for me, because I'm Canadian, so can handle the cold. Feel a little bad for the locals though. Almost looks as though loads of people turned Muslim overnight, because everyone is running around with sheets tied around their heads, kids have little wool panda and tiger hats on, etc.

newalaan2
January 25th, 2016, 16:49
I guess it's mainly up north, but Bangkok seems to be a little chilly these days too:
Anyone else feeling the freeze? According to bf everybody in Thailand will be! Certainly, as you say, up Khon Kaen way they are. Chat everyday with him and the main topic has been the 'extreme' temps last few days. In his village it seems apart from a bit extra clothing, the way it is dealt with is by going to bed early! Talking yesterday at 7pm Thai time he said everyone was already in bed because SO cold! He runs a small shop beside his home where locals and many young males/females hang out from early evening, sitting around drinking beer/coffee/coke whatever.. and last couple days it's been deserted after 6pm! There's even been small fires set up in front yards around the village where the farm workers gather after work to eat/chat.......before going to bed early.

I'm there in a few days and prefer it cooler in the evening, but I bet the temp will have managed to soar back up by the time I arrive. Those westerners currently in Thailand, cdnmatt/francois/jellbean and others....do you prefer the cooler weather?

cdnmatt
January 25th, 2016, 19:31
Those westerners currently in Thailand, cdnmatt/francois/jellbean and others....do you prefer the cooler weather?

Depends what you're comparing it too. if I had to choose between this or +44C days in June, then I'd go for this. You can always put more clothes on, but there's only so many you can take off.

Personally though, I prefer the standard "winter" days, which should be back around Friday I guess. Low - mid 30s during the day, low 20s at night. Perfect weather.

It's not even really THAT cold (especially considering I'm Canadian -- -38C is cold, not +12C :)), but it's just nobody here is setup for it. We don't live in air-tight houses with triple paned windows and central heating, so for basically everyone, the temp outside is also the temp inside.

Dalewood
January 25th, 2016, 20:02
Cdnmatt:

If you are having trouble breathing, it is because my hands are around your neck and squeezing. It is 30 degrees Fahrenheit right now with 30 inches of snow in my yard. That goes for the rest of you too...

Smiles
January 25th, 2016, 20:07
16c this morning at 6:30am in Hua Hin. Finally found testicles and warmed them over the toaster. Saved!
About 18c most of the day and very windy. Big waves in the Gulf bursting even larger onto the beach.
Forecast for tomorrow is 27c and 28c Wednesday. End of the world averted once again ... and good thing as I still have half a pizza left in the fridge.

francois
January 25th, 2016, 22:49
Those westerners currently in Thailand, cdnmatt/francois/jellbean and others....do you prefer the cooler weather?

Yes and no. When it first turned cooler it was wonderful but tonight a bit too chilly. However it was bearable and , when inside was able to "handle" the conditions to my advantage.

francois
January 25th, 2016, 22:54
Personally though, I prefer the standard "winter" days, which should be back around Friday I guess. Low - mid 30s during the day, low 20s at night. Perfect weather.

Hope you are referring to C and not F !!

christianpfc
January 26th, 2016, 10:03
22 C in my room now, and 19 C outside (according to weather report). I'm wearing socks now and will dress in long, even in my room (usually walk around in shorts only).

The weather is great for sightseeing, except for the rain on Sunday. No sweating and not too much sunshine (sunburn, shadows on pictures). However locals dress long, no ogling at legs in shorts.

Jellybean
January 26th, 2016, 11:03
In reply to your question newalaan2, I would say that when I arrived in Bangkok last November, it took me the usual one week to recover from my jet-lag. But, in addition to the jet-lag, I also had a problem with, what I considered, was the excessive heat. For at least the first 3 weeks, it totally floored me. I felt exhausted most of the time and rarely had the energy to do very much. Happily, it got cooler and I was able to function normally without thinking too much about the weather.

Yesterday, I had an appointment at 17:00 at the Bangkok Christian Hospital on Silom Road. Normally during the day, and most nights, I wear below the knee shorts. But yesterday I decided to wear jeans and an Adidas top over my polo shirt and I was jolly glad that I did. Once inside the hospital I removed the top, as I was too hot. I kept it off until I left the hospital an hour later, 1,320 baht the lighter, but it was distinctly cold, so I put my top back on. I donтАЩt recall ever needing to use a jumper/ top in Bangkok before.

Up until 2 days ago, the weather was just fine for me, in the Goldilocks zone if you like, not too hot and not too cold. However, the last couple of days have been quite cold. For the second night in a row, I didnтАЩt need to use air-con or fans . . . so a positive effect on the size of my electricity bill! Lol!

Today in Bangkok, as I type this, the sun is shining and there is a lovely breeze blowing through my 21st floor apartment. What bliss, youтАЩd love it Dalewood! IтАЩm sure it would get rid of those homicidal thoughts youтАЩve been having recently. Lol! Poor cdnmatt, if itтАЩs not stalkers and looney-tune boyfriends heтАЩs having to deal with, now itтАЩs members intent on strangling him (only joking Dalewood!).

So, in summary, I think IтАЩm with cdnmatt on my temperature preferences, low 30s Celsius during the day and low 20s Celsius at night тАУ perfect!

corky
January 26th, 2016, 12:12
What's happening in the gogo bars?
Are they still doing the shows; are the boys still on stage wearing only their knickers?

francois
January 26th, 2016, 14:27
The customers are acting as bun/bum warmers as a corporal work of mercy.

egel
January 26th, 2016, 22:20
Yes they are still in their pants, freezing their balls off.

egel
January 26th, 2016, 22:24
Yes corky still in their shreddies but freezing their balls off as the boss in Toy Boys insists in keeping the aircon on. Must be something Thai!

pong
January 28th, 2016, 13:02
Flew BKK/dmk->NAN monday, pretty cold in BKK, much more cold in Nan. And then in the eve-just after having finished an unremarkable dinner, rain started and lasted and stayed on all night, all tuesday, a few minor dry spots in the eve and again freezing cold rain night tue-wed. Took the bus to Cmai wedn, and it was in the AC bus hotter inside as out-with the AC off. ChMai: boys in 2brothers were clad like eskimo's in long furcoats, hats/caps etc. This own, overwhelmed by mainland Chinese now, is just now getting a minor ray of sunshine when i look outside. Hooray.

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2016, 13:18
Yeah, finally starting to warm up again. Phew! 2:15pm and +27C again, which is perfect weather. I'm sure the Thais would like it a little warmer, but for a canuck like me, it's perfect -- not too hot, not too cold.

Sorry for you guys in the West buried under snow, waking up every morning and having to scrape ice off your windshields. :)

loke
January 28th, 2016, 23:17
Very cold here in Pattaya. No aircon at night , still freezing.

I wear my long, sexy jeans and a sweater at night , but its getting better tomorrow I think .