PDA

View Full Version : Hanoi Vietnam

JamesIII
January 6th, 2016, 08:24
Anyone visit Hanoi lately?
I will be there next month and wonder about gay life there in that city of over 2 million people.
Love to hear from my good buddies here about the trip..
thanks and hope the best for the new year..

firecat69
January 8th, 2016, 16:46
A year ago and had 2 nice meets with boys from Hornet. Love the city but only in the cool season. Great Boutique Hotels at low rates and food to die for also very in expensive.

Crossing the streets however is an adventure.

arsenal
January 12th, 2016, 08:27
There are a few massage places dotted around Hanoi. Polar is probably the best. You should be aware that if you're going during their Tet holiday then they will most likely be closed as the whole country virtually shuts down.

christianpfc
January 17th, 2016, 12:02
I spent 2 nights in Hanoi last week. Looked for saunas and massages on the usual websites: travelgayasia and utopia-asia plus some minor ones.

Went to Polar Spa for their sauna (but their main business seems to be massage). They had over 10 massage boys in an aquarium, none of them my taste. Sauna, steam room and darkroom is small, but was well visited. Never had that much attention paid to me in a sauna, had to flee at the end (anyway there was not much area to cover and none of the customers appealed to me).

Following day met a contact from hornet for sightseeing and didn't go out at night.

goji
January 17th, 2016, 18:43
I was last in Hanoi about 5 years ago & the highlight was a visit to the Ami Spa.

Their offering was a 1 hour package, where you have a short sauna, body scrub & about 30 minutes massage, starting in underwear & ending without it.
Their lads were very fit, slim with some muscle & they were energetic.
If I remember correctly, they allocated the masseur & they had over 10 of them, with only 4 rooms.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/AMI+SPA/@21.0281443,105.8170984,21z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x617810745f63f 9e3?hl=en

No idea if it's still open, however considering there is so little on Vietnam posted AND their very good service, I'm posting it.

I also visited 2 saunas and a gay bar, without much success.

scottish-guy
January 18th, 2016, 17:55
My BF lives in HCMC, and tells me that Hanoi "No like Gay"

As a result of his comment, 2 things occur to me:

1. It may just be a parochial thing and he simply prefers HCMC
2. This 3 word ungrammatical statement comes after 5 years studying English at my expense =))

But he may be right - and whilst you are unlikely to come across any prejudice when you're frequenting sex establishments, it might be a different matter socially.

I have to say I have never encountered any adverse looks or detected any distaste when we go out In HCMC to restaurants, cinema, bowling, nightclubs, or even beer or sports bars - and it must be quite obvious what our relationship is (why would a handsome 23yo Viet boy be hanging around some repulsive old cunt more that double his age). We never go to any specifically Gay venues - there's no need to as all the "str8" places are completely mixed

:))

lonelywombat
January 23rd, 2016, 10:09
Gay review of Vietnam both Hanoi and HCM
http://www.dailyxtra.com/world/travel/c ... nam-183348 (http://www.dailyxtra.com/world/travel/cruising-vietnam-183348)

Vietnam has been a star on AsiaтАЩs tourist map for years, but it usually falls under ThailandтАЩs long shadow as a gay party or play destination. On the surface, itтАЩs easy to thank the countryтАЩs communist regime for that. But like many countries in this region, contradictions are the norm in Vietnam. Despite a totalitarian government, the country proudly reminds anyone whoтАЩll listen that it has never had laws against same-sex acts, and that laissez-faire attitude comes to the surface in some surprising ways in its major cities.

Gay communities in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City are admittedly not as visible as those in Thailand. This discretion however, offers its own freedoms, particularly for those looking to explore the communityтАЩs friskier side. Saunas and massage spas are ubiquitous throughout both cities, and are likely to expand in Da Nang, a gateway city to central Vietnam thatтАЩs one of the countryтАЩs fastest growing destinations.

Many, if not most, saunas operate as тАЬmassage spasтАЭ but incorporate traditional sauna elements such as steam rooms, dry saunas, chill-out area, and smoking lounges. Some will allow guests a choice of masseur, while others will assign based on availability. The level of professionalism and sexual service also varies widely, so check with reception if youтАЩre not sure. Most spas will be upfront about the services they provide, and expect clients to communicate their needs clearly. HanoiтАЩs ZSpa and Polar, for instance, happily advertise on their website that their massages include sexual service. Others, such as Namspa in Ho Chi Minh City, keep the focus on health and traditional spa therapies. Some will also include your masseurтАЩs tip in their rate, so be clear on this point before the start of any treatment or massage. Staff will typically not advise patrons on what is considered a standard tip, however a one-hour massage should not set you back much more than VND500,000 (C$31), tip included.

Ho Chi Minh City also boasts one of AsiaтАЩs best saunas, Nadam Spa. Though a good 20-minute drive from the tourist centre of Saigon, Nadam is a clean, well developed sauna offering 20 massage rooms, VIP rooms, herb infused hot pools, a deceptively traditional and relaxing setting, and a wide range of spa therapies. ItтАЩs the perfect escape from the crippling heat and frenetic pace of Saigon, but it takes some finding! More than a few queer visitors have passed the address to a hapless cab or moto driver, only to wind up circling the neighbourhood. For a small fee, Pink Tulip Hotel, a gay owned and managed boutique hotel in the heart of Ho Chi MinhтАЩs entertainment district, arranges a dedicated, return moto service to Nadam for its guests.

Note that VietnamтАЩs saunas and massage spas typically close between 10pm and midnight, so plan your visit accordingly тАФ perhaps as a way to unwind after a busy sightseeing day.

But Ho Chi Minh CityтАЩs hedonistic iceberg plunges much deeper. Sex here is a 24/7 business, conducted on the street like any other, while the authorities turn a mostly blind eye. Many locals insist Saigon has replaced Bangkok as Southeast AsiaтАЩs most liberal and decadent city. It certainly has no shortage of eager-to-please promoters, and it isnтАЩt at all unusual for these endlessly energetic young men to offer some arranged evening company to tourists theyтАЩve corralled into the rowdy bars of Bui Vien. Nobody bats an eye about your preferences in Saigon.

тАЬMeeting the localsтАЭ this way obviously involves negotiation, clear communication and a component of risk. Your companion will typically be young, polite and well-spoken in English, and the length and extent of their services will depend entirely on you. Your only obligation will usually be to cover their drinks. Some, however, will also expect you to pay for their time, and of course youтАЩll be able to negotiate for more intimate services. Fit Vietnamese men hauling massage tables on bicycles and motos is another common sight along Bui Vien and the adjoining streets, and they too can be procured for a negotiable fee.

When it comes to safety, sex workers in Vietnam are usually eager to make a fair deal. Just remember this is still an underground industry. Keep your wits about you and know what youтАЩve agreed to. Once a deal has been struck and services procured, youтАЩll be expected to honour the negotiated price. If the worker thinks theyтАЩre being cheated or smells trouble, it wonтАЩt be the police who come to their rescue. HIV is also prevalent and poorly addressed in Vietnam, so protection or preventative treatment is highly recommended.

lonelywombat
January 29th, 2016, 10:41
Vietnam тАУ From Hoi An to Hanoi
very nice pics I did not try and post, are with the article
https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/travel/25464 ... -to-hanoi/ (https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/travel/25464/vietnam-from-hoi-an-to-hanoi/)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
16:00 28th January 2016 by GT
Comments

TRAVEL > DESTINATIONS
While Hoi An is a touch of the past, Hanoi thrusts you into the future. It makes Vietnam the best of both.

Bustling Hoi An, with its streets of 19th century wood-beamed shophouses, Thu Bon river almost feels like an oasis of calm compared with the growing modernity and dynamism of VietnamтАЩs cities. The charm of Indochina seems to be fading as the spark of industrialisation burns bright in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and Hanoi, still destinations in their own right. Yet itтАЩs in places like Hoi An where a sense of a bygone Asia remains, one that hasnтАЩt been bombed or bulldozed.

Food glorious food

With direct flights from China, Korea and Singapore to this region, itтАЩs easy to understand the profusion of planned resorts and golf courses but Hoi An, the Unesco World Heritage site, a bustling port from the 17-19th centuries is still a delight, a real gem. The old town is traffic free and at night is adorned with multi-coloured lights as though visitors have stepped into Wonderland.

ThereтАЩs a profusion of local businesses catering to visitors, which have thrived since Vietnam opened back up to the world in 1986. The food alone is a reason to visit, with myriad restaurants to choose from, one of the best being the family owned Miss Ly, featuring local specialities like cao lau (flat noodles with sliced barbecued pork) and тАЬwhite roseтАЭ (steamed shrimp in rice paper). For under a third of the price youтАЩd pay in London, Mango Rooms is a real pleasing spot overlooking the river, although a little on the expensive side. Aside from the usual tourist tat, thereтАЩs shops selling authentic Asian artefacts to put on your mantelpiece and a number of galleries featuring local work.

Open to anyone

At least the shores of the picaresque Hoan Kiem lake mark a serene focal point for this frenetic city, offering the chance to wander among the lovers and the loners, feeling ever the stranger in a strange land but never threatened or intimidated. In fact itтАЩs a tribute to the Vietnamese and their spirit how warm the welcome afforded to Western visitors is, not the somewhat jaded response offered in more established destinations such as Thailand.

Surrounding the lake is the тАЬgay-friendlyтАЭ GC pub (which legend has it stands for Golden Cock). A claustrophobic one-room watering hole that when we visited was literally shaking to Lady Gaga with a procession of young, fashionably dressed Vietnamese guys lined up like debutantes at a tea dance. The ready smiles of the all-male clientele indicated this was not just gay friendly, it was gay.

Serving the T

While Vietnam is still lacking in gay venues, it has no laws against homosexual activity, with the government even reportedly considering legalising same-sex marriage. In a recent move to lift the visibility of gay people in the nation, a local LGBT group organised three тАЬflash mobтАЭ dance events held simultaneously in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and Danang attended by more than 1,000 people.

Nowhere is this new-found confidence more prevalent than in Ho Chi Minh City, still referred to as Saigon, undoubtedly one of the engines of growth of the new Vietnam and boasting such a vibrancy that thereтАЩs a feeling people can be who they want to be, without fear of the government interference of old.

But you canтАЩt come to Vietnam and avoid the history of the place, since around almost every corner there seems to be something of significance. What locals term the American War (1965-73) may be seared into the Western consciousness, but being here, surrounded by Vietnamese, makes exhibits like the War Remnants Museum all the more resonant. There is a harrowing section called Requiem, which is a photographic journey through the war, with accompanying and unbiased commentary.

Fit for a Queen

The Reunification Palace is a wonderful piece of 60s kitsch smack bang in the middle of District One. It was here in 1975 that the tanks of the Hanoi-based Communists smashed through the gates to herald the countryтАЩs тАЬliberationтАЭ and reunification, marking the start of more than 30 years of autocratic rule.

Other sights include such French-built gems as Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Post Office (no, really!), Hotel de Ville, Ben Thanh Market and the Municipal Theatre тАФ a place that was restored for the 2002 movie, The Quiet American.

As for nightlife, the aforementioned Q Bar is the only place in Saigon where staff scowl at you rather than smile, but this venue in the bowels of the Municipal Theatre screams cool. For something old Vietnam, try the brilliantly tacky rooftop bar of Rex Hotel up the road, which used to be a favourite spot for US army officers and their admirers during the war.

In terms of a surefire way to meet a local mate to accompany you for the evening, the appropriately named Apocalypse Now is a bar/disco thatтАЩs an odd mix of whiskey-fuelled Vietnamese and goggle-eyed Westerners. ItтАЩs quite a commercial scene, so beware of those pronouncing тАЬlove you long timeтАЭ, but itтАЩs fun, while it lasts, like any trip to this fascinating country.

Vietnam Airlines now flies direct from London Gatwick to Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh, while flying several times daily from Hanoi/Ho Chi Minh to Danang.
GT stayed at The Nam Hai, Hoi An тАУ ghmhotels.com, the Sofitel Metropole тАУ sofitel.com in Hanoi and the Bong Sen in Saigon.
Robin NewboldтАЩs novel, Bloody Summer, is available on amazon.co.uk

Words Robin Newbold

Dboy
January 29th, 2016, 12:00
Love Hanoi, but the gay scene is a bit more fun (in my opinion) in Saigon. Also found things friendly in Hue, but I wouldnt visit Hue just for that.

goji
January 30th, 2016, 04:48
The Gay Times have a magazine to fill and it looks like the journalist is expected to file a report & employ whatever creativity is necessary to make it interesting.
Even if the budget didn't actually cover sending anyone to Vietnam. Or that's how it seems reading the article.

It is clear the journalist has to write an article, but at no point is it clear, or even suggested he has been to Vietnam.
Then it seems to evolve from internet research into spas onto possible fiction in the coverage of the bars, just to spice it up a bit.

I found Q bar in Saigon was just a mixed middle class bar class bar in the posh bit of Saigon with some gay customers. Very ordinary.
A couple of the spas were OK. Adam was quite nice, but the best bit was just enjoying the surroundings and chatting to some Western visitors. I had a massage there, but the happy ending was the most rushed I've even encountered. He certainly didn't want to get caught in the act.

The gay life I found in Danang & Hoi An can be summarised as absolutely nothing. .
Although Hoi An very much merits a visit just for the charm of the town centre.

fountainhall
January 30th, 2016, 09:05
It is clear the journalist has to write an article, but at no point is it clear, or even suggested he has been to Vietnam.
Then it seems to evolve from internet research into spas onto possible fiction in the coverage of the bars, just to spice it up a bit.
Gay Times is not the only organ that crafts travel reports from internet sites. In May 2013 I had a correspondence with the editor of gaytravel.com about articles purporting to have been written about a visit to Thailand. The writer raved about a male spa he had visited in Bangkok - but couldn't remember the name! (Probably Babylon - how on earth do you forget the name?) Bangkok has fabulous temples, he wrote, but the only one he named was 2 1/2 hours outside the city! The gay bars are congregated around Snow Cowboy! No, that's not my mistake. He actually wrote Snow rather than Soi, and clearly was not aware that Soi Cowboy is for other types of bar. No mention whatever of Silom Soi 4 or Soi Twlight.

There were several other horrors. What these "articles" highlight is the need for readers to be aware that several supposed gay travel sites spout drivel.

dinagam
February 26th, 2016, 08:21
The church in the Old Quarter.
View from the roof top breakfast room of a hotel in the area.
The bell chimes regularly every 30 minutes, and lasts a good two minutes at 5am for matin. Luckily I had my ear plugs handy.
There are still people who get up early to pray.
One is spoiled for choice of hotels in the vicinity of the Catholic church.

cdnmatt
February 26th, 2016, 08:49
I once went to Hanoi years ago. Had a hotel booked for a week, and only lasted 36 hours before I was back on a plane to Thailand.

Crossing the streets however is an adventure.

This was a big one for me. When travelling, especially when I hit a new city, I love to walk the streets for hours at a time. Doing that in Hanoi's Old Quarter is a little easier said than done though. Then on top of the 8000 motorbikes you have to manuveur around when crossing the street, other things like those ladies walking around with the poles with straw baskets on both ends selling stuff were a little too relentless. They would literally follow me around for blocks at a time.

Then I got scammed multiple times, drugged once, lost several times, etc. 36 hours after landing in Hanoi, I was back on a plane to Pattaya. :)

Although I will admit, loads of young, cute guys in Hanoi. Never hooked up with anyone there, but if you're into slim Asians with cute faces, then Hanoi has loads of eye candy to look at.

goji
February 26th, 2016, 17:29
I stayed close to that church a few years ago.
Found one nice hotel on Agoda.
After an overnight trip to Halong bay, I was offered & accepted a very good rate at another even better hotel, whilst walking back to my original hotel.
There can be benefits to travelling without a reservation.

The area is very nice. The hotels were up narrow side streets & I wasn't disturbed by the bells.

As for scams, I don't think I was scammed at all in Hanoi. Although during the whole Vietnam trip, there was certainly overcharging for some of the bus tickets.

Nirish guy
February 26th, 2016, 20:21
Take care if travelling in the Countryside and chose to go on an unauthorised tour with no safety gear it seems :-( Very sad.

Source : http://news.sky.com/story/1649239/british-tourists-die-on-vietnam-waterfall-tour

Three British tourists have died while climbing waterfalls in Vietnam, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

The bodies of one man and two women, reportedly aged 19 and 25, have been recovered downstream of the Datanla waterfalls in the central Lam Dong province - a popular tourist spot.

Police are questioning one man on suspicion of taking the group on an unauthorised tour.

christianpfc
February 27th, 2016, 10:34
Although I will admit, loads of young, cute guys in Hanoi. Never hooked up with anyone there, but if you're into slim Asians with cute faces, then Hanoi has loads of eye candy to look at.
And pale skin. But I like brown skin, Vietnam didn't offer much to me in that aspect. In fact, after spending some days in both Saigon and Hanoi, I can rule out Vietnam as a travel destination for boys.

Brad the Impala
February 29th, 2016, 04:16
The bell chimes regularly every 30 minutes, and lasts a good two minutes at 5am for matin.

One is spoiled for choice of hotels in the vicinity of the Catholic church.

I wonder if these two pieces of information are connected.

dinagam
February 29th, 2016, 12:56
I wonder if these two pieces of information are connected.

The St Joseph cathedral is one of the Grandes Dames of Hanoi.
The bell towers are clearly head & shoulder above the roofs of most buildings in the Old Quarter.
Some tourists find the settings charming, the rustic structures & the small square in front, plus the bell chimes. But in the still of the night, the punctual chimes can be a bit annoying, if your hotel room is facing the square. Some hotels have good double glazed Windows, and rooms facing away from the church don't hear much from the bell.
But it remains one of the attractions of the Old Quarter by virtue of its proximity to other sites. Only 200m to the lake & BC bar, convenient for pickups & dropoffs for tourists taking tours, 900m from the Opera House, 1-2km from museums & historical sites. And of course the numerous hostels, guesthouses, & hotels, restaurants & bars etc etc.

goji
March 2nd, 2016, 01:53
Only 200m to the lake & BC bar
Close to GC bar as well. Is BC some kind of copycat operation?

dinagam
March 3rd, 2016, 09:10
Close to GC bar as well. Is BC some kind of copycat operation?

My eyes failed me again, goji. I was referring to the longstanding GC bar in Bao Khanh road. It was always full on Friday evenings. This time around there was hardly a soul on a Wednesday evening when I passed by.

aussie_
March 7th, 2016, 21:55
I visited Hanoi three times in 2015. No problem meeting guys from the apps, some free or hotter looking guys for about 400-600k dong. Many of the money boys were quoting in $US.

Golden Cock gay bar closes at midnight and the police were outside to make sure it closed on time on the Saturday night that I went there. The locals at GC told me there are other clubs that stay open later so I will investigate further next time I go to Hanoi to find their location.

I prefer Ho Chi Minh City for more night life and met some great guys there from the apps. The nightclubs stay open to around 3am or later with the Republic gay disco and the mixed Apocalypse club very popular. Never had any problems taking a guy to the Apocalypse club. Most nights I would go to the walking street for amazing eye candy and later Bui Vien street for food and drinks.

Bert
March 17th, 2016, 01:07
Hi,

I visit Hanoi in a month.
Can someone send information about hotel(s) where a joiner/visitor is no problem?

Thanks

a447
March 17th, 2016, 16:04
When I was in Saigon I stayed at the Caravelle Hotel, not the type of hotel you'd think you could bring a guy back to. But a guy I contacted on gayromeo told me it wouldn't be a problem as long as he left the room before 9pm. He been there before.

He told me that was the law in Vietnam. So no overnight visitors allowed in any hotel.

dinagam
March 17th, 2016, 21:20
He told me that was the law in Vietnam. So no overnight visitors allowed in any hotel.[/QUOTE]

I've never encountered this problem with guests staying overnight, although some reception staff needed firm assurance from me on the status of my guests. It was always smooth sailing when I checked in together with a friend.

Bert
March 18th, 2016, 00:29
Thanks a lot, I did not know about that 9 pm rule.
So it's best to invite a guy in my room in afternoon or early evening.
I guess Vietnamese guys (or money boys) know about that rule too?

Maybe if I take a double room a friend can stay overnight if he shows ID.

1moRussian
June 3rd, 2016, 01:20
Some details form May 2016, Hanoi:
- went to Zspa (map below),
- very simple,
- 250k dong for spa for 1 hour in simple room (they have superior and VIP), 250k to the boy (written in receipt and paid to the manager) and 100k in his hands,
- nothing serious during or after,
- and generally - "nothing to write home about".
Next day I was in Hero in BKK and Hero was 10 times better :)

The second (gray) building from the left:

1moRussian
June 3rd, 2016, 01:26
There is some activity in Jack'D and Hornet (I don't like Grindr with just only 1 photo) - but it's hard to tell who is MB and who is not. If I stayed longer, I would try these apps.

scottish-guy
June 3rd, 2016, 01:44
.. some reception staff needed firm assurance from me on the status of my guests...

So...if you pick up a bit of rent (which is what we are talking about), exactly what "status" would you be firmly assuring the reception staff of?

lonelywombat
June 21st, 2016, 13:42
Vietnam's Reunification Express train: Rolling with the locals

Penny Watson

http://www.traveller.com.au/content/dam/images/g/p/c/k/4/z/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gpck8s.png/1466402350046.jpgRiding the Reunification Express from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh. Photo: Getty Images

[*=center]SHARE
[*=center]Post on facebook wall (https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.traveller.com.au%2Fo n-the-rails-gpck8s&title=On+board+Vietnam%27s+epic%2C+1726km+slow-speed+train+)
[*=center]Share on twitter (https://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.traveller.com.au%2Fon-the-rails-gpck8s&text=On+board+Vietnam%27s+epic%2C+1726km+slow-speed+train+&via=TravellerAU)
[*=center]Share via Email
[*=center]Pin to Pinterest (https://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.traveller.com.au%2Fon-the-rails-gpck8s&description=On+board+Vietnam%27s+epic%2C+1726km+sl ow-speed+train+&media=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.traveller.com.au%2Fcontent% 2Fdam%2Fimages%2Fg%2Fp%2Fc%2Fk%2F4%2Fz%2Fimage.rel ated.articleLeadwide.750x422.gpck8s.png%2F14664023 50046.jpg)
[*=center]Share on Google Plus (https://plus.google.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.traveller.com.au%2Fon-the-rails-gpck8s&title=On+board+Vietnam%27s+epic%2C+1726km+slow-speed+train+)

It's dark outside, the Vietnamese city of Nha Trang is quiet for a Sunday, but the train station is a picture of chaos. Plastic tartan bags, cheap suitcases and boxes reinforced with masking tape have been dumped unceremoniously on the platform. Waiting room television screens rival each other for volume. Makeshift stalls selling travel essentials –Coke, beer, bananas and over-packaged biscuits and noodles – do a peak-time trade.
The train is late and instead of pulling in on platform one it has headed to platform four. From what I can make out, we have to cross three rubbish-laden tracks in the dark to reach the train, then climb on board and find our cabin before it takes off again. My husband, Pip, and I, all wide-eyed from strong, condensed milk-loaded coffee, have three bags, a pram and two somewhat bewildered kids to contend with. But there's no time to dwell on it; up the track a blinding light is cutting through the darkness and a big old retro engine from a long-ago era is grinding down the tracks. Within minutes we're joining the throng in a mad scramble to board.
SEE ALSO

Vietnam travel guide (http://www.traveller.com.au/vietnam)

The Reunification Express has been cutting a path along the East Coast of Vietnam since 1936. The 1726-kilometre, 33-ish hour journey from Hanoi in the north to Ho Chi Minh in the south averages 50km/h, only marginally quicker than it was in the 1930s. It might be ageing, but it's still a reliable mode of transport for travelling between some of Vietnam's most popular tourist destinations. An overnight leg is also something of an adventure. The pace, excitement, local insight and occasional chaos are all part of the experience.
http://www.traveller.com.au/content/dam/images/g/p/c/k/5/4/image.related.articleLeadwide.520x294.gpck8s.png/1466402350046.jpgPassengers on the Reunification Express which travels between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. Photo: Getty ImagesOur train ride begins in Hanoi and ends two weeks later in Ho Chi Minh. In between we'll have a few nights each in the ancient cities of Hue and Hoi An, and a beachside stint in Nha Trang. It will mean three overnight train legs and one shorter trip between Hue and Hanoi.
The 'SE' express trains are more comfortable for tourists, with hard sleeper (six beds in two tiers), soft sleeper (four beds), hard seat and soft seat cabins. Both sleeper cabin options are comfortable with air-conditioning, and clean cotton sheets and bedding. The soft sleeper is the natural choice for our party of four, but it's not a disaster when, on one leg, we find ourselves in a six-sleeper. We wake to see two smiling 20-somethings looking down on us from the cheaper top-tier beds. They speak a little English and tell us they're students returning home. They're as friendly as family, sharing coconut juice and dried biscuits with the kids in return for photos, no doubt captioned: 'CUUUUUUUTE'.
Meanwhile, Pip and I get a chance to look out the window. We did this train trip together 10 years ago, pre-marriage. It's harder work this time, with an 18-month-old and four-year-old, but we're chuffed anyway. Outside, green rice paddies and banana palms rush past. There are farmers in conical hats, kids freewheeling in backyards and yoked water buffalo, yawning knee-deep in mud. When the train slows through hamlets clustered along the railway line, we see dozens of locals on overloaded motorbikes waiting for the boom gate to open. In other parts, hazy blue mountains separate the track from the sea before it reappears again with glimpses of beach, blue water, fish farms, nets and boats. It's like a tourism advertisement for rural Vietnam and nothing seems to have changed in the decade since we last saw it.
http://www.traveller.com.au/content/dam/images/g/p/c/k/4/y/image.related.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.gpck8s.png/1466402350046.jpgThe Minh Mang Tomb is on the west bank of the Perfume River. Photo: Getty ImagesWhat has changed is the hotel scene. Vietnam is now flush with luxury hotels, both lovely old heritage places and flash new resorts. We spent our first night in Hanoi at the decadent French colonial Metropole, where we were greeted with a "bonjour" and ushered into a room with high ceilings, teak furniture and French doors. On departing, such is its clientele, the concierge declared us the first guests to ever need a transfer to the train station rather than the airport.
Thirteen hours down the track, La Residence, in the serene town of Hue, is similarly historic. It was built in the 1930s as the French governor's residence and the art deco era is reflected in the building's porthole windows and nautical lines. Our room overlooks the Perfume River. On the opposite bank, we can see the entry to the UNESCO-listed former Imperial Citadel. It's the perfect cultural immersion for kids with no queues and cycle rickshaws to get around on.
The train connection between Hue and our next stop Danang, near Hoi An, is late at night so we decide on a daytime car transfer. It's a good comparative exercise. At just under three hours, the train is quicker, but more pertinently, Vietnam's roads, especially Highway 1, the main north-south artery, are notoriously accident-prone. We drive past an accident, the motorbike driver being attended to on the side of the road. It's a sobering vision and we're glad the rest of the trip will be on rails.
http://www.traveller.com.au/content/dam/images/g/p/e/n/z/e/image.related.articleLeadwide.520x294.gpck8s.png/1466402350046.jpgAna Mandara near Nha Trang. Photo: AlamyHoi An is a French colonial town known for its enchanting lantern-lit streets and cheap tailor-made clothes. We stay in a family suite overlooking another river, the Thu Bon, at Anantara Hotel. With ornate balustrades and colonnaded balconies, it is in keeping with the architecture in the UNESCO-listed old town, an easy stroll away. Happily, Anantara is family-friendly with a shallow pool and sweet treats delivered at bedtime. The hotel bikes are equipped with kid's seats, so when we're not eating street food in the old town we're riding through the little villages.
Kudos goes to Vietnam for being able to offer cultural experiences as well as perfect beach holidays. Ten hours by train from Danang, Nha Trang is a coastal resort city with great scuba diving and a party vibe. We head out of town to Six Senses Ninh Van Bay resort, courtesy of a flash speedboat. It's a castaway island paradise. Our wooden beachfront villa has a thatched roof and there are no cars – once again we're getting around on bikes with the kids on the back. Children under-five sleep and eat for free here, and there's a kids club, giving Pip and I the chance for a cooking class.
After four sun-soaked days, our four-year-old is back talking trains. We are transferred to Nha Trang train station for our final leg, the one that starts with that night-time sprint across the tracks. Soon after, we'll be lulled to sleep by the soft rhythmic side-to-side motion of the train on our way to Ho Chi Minh.
TRIP NOTES

vietnamtourism.com (http://www.vietnamtourism.com/).
MORE INFORMATION

TOURING THERE

See Vietnamese Railways' own website (vr.com.vn (http://vr.com.vn/)) butseat61.com/Vietnam.htm (http://seat61.com/Vietnam.htm) is more helpful. It's best to book train tickets in advance through hotels on the ground in Vietnam or a travel agency before you leave.

FarangRuMak
September 12th, 2017, 06:59
I went to Ho Chi Minh City last year for a week.
I enjoyed the sights and the little that's left of the old city and I even warmed to the robosta coffee.
I searched in vain for any gay fun while I ploughed my way through mobs of straight-sex pimps and female prestitutes.
If it's gay friendly they do a f--king good job of hiding the fact in Saigon.
No where, anywhere, comes anyway near Thailand for gay people and that's it- end of story.

kjun12
March 2nd, 2019, 12:13
How do Vietnamese feel about older and overweight men?

lonelywombat
March 2nd, 2019, 16:02
How do Vietnamese feel about older and overweight men?

I think you will find they are respectable of you ,as long as pay your way

Indianer
May 17th, 2019, 01:50
But I'm not sure about the 9 o'clock rule. No visitors at hotel in the evening?

paperboy
May 20th, 2019, 21:19
i arrive next week, soon tell you all.

bazzabear
May 22nd, 2019, 02:53
from my experiance they are some of the most loyal and generaly nice guys , alas not many places to meet though , so grinder or blued is your best bet. there is a gay bar , the golden cock ,but can be a bit slow until late at night,