PDA

View Full Version : Utapao flights

PeterUK
December 23rd, 2015, 21:38
I never really think of Pattaya as having an airport. I've heard of Utapao, of course (don't ask me exactly where it is), but have always imagined it as a place where weeds grow on the runway and a few bi-planes buzz around looping the loop. Only when booking a flight to Chiang Mai the other day did I realise that there are now direct flights to CM from Utapao by AirAsia. I was quoted about 4900B return. That had me interested until I was told that the two current daily flights are at 6.40am and 5.25pm. Not convenient for me, though the saving on taxi time to one of the BKK airports certainly would have been. There are quite a few other domestic flights too; also a daily flight to Kuala Lumpur. Has anyone actually used Utapao? Is it, erm... safe?

bruce_nyc
December 24th, 2015, 06:38
Great questions..... I've often wondered too.

I'd also like to know how far that airport actually *is*..... time wise, by car.... from Boyztown, for example.

anonone
December 24th, 2015, 08:42
Easy to look on google maps.

Doesn't look like it would save much time. About 1 hour 5 minutes from Utapao to BT, instead of 1 hour 20 minutes from BKK.

Might be worthwhile for a cheap airfare...as an alternative to Don Muang or something.

bruce_nyc
December 24th, 2015, 08:52
Yeah. That's what I seemed to remember. Not a time savings really.

And the fares are usually more..... not less.

That's too bad.

They need to convert Walking Street into a runway and make a small airport there to serve Boyztown.

arsenal
December 24th, 2015, 14:45
I've used it. I liked it but then I like small slightly run down airports over the huge mini towns that are being built all over Asia. It takes about 40 minutes to get to from Pattaya although the cost of a taxi is similar to going Bangkok. If you do use it remember to say a little thank you because it's the reason Pattaya exists in its current form.

Gaybutton
December 24th, 2015, 15:15
I'd also like to know how far that airport actually *is*..... time wise, by car.... from Boyztown, for example
Without traffic delays, about 45 minutes. Just go south on Sukhumvit and stay on Route 3. You can't miss it.

I understand there is a free shuttle that departs on Sukhumvit, right near the Ford dealership - near Chaiyapruek. I've never spotted it or tried to find it. Maybe your hotel has information about where it is and what the schedule is.

I also suggest asking your hotel if they have information about getting to the airport. There are transportation options available far less expensive than a taxi.

U-Tapao Airport is on a military base. If you drive rather than take a taxi, you have to leave a form of ID with the security guard, which will be returned when you exit. Parking is 20 baht, whether you park a car for 5 minutes or 5 days. You pay the 20 baht as you exit the parking lot.

The parking lot is just across from the airport lobby entrance. I've walked much further at shopping mall parking lots to the entrance than the distance from the U-Tapao parking lot to the entrance. It's right there.

PeterUK
December 24th, 2015, 15:27
If you do use it remember to say a little thank you because it's the reason Pattaya exists in its current form.

What, with all its Russian tourists, you mean? :-? I understand that many of the Russian tourists arrive at Utapao.

arsenal
December 24th, 2015, 16:11
No peter. I mean because it was used in the Vietnam war and so Pattaya became the place for serving Americans to get some r and r.

bkkmfj2648
December 24th, 2015, 16:24
Hey guys - back in January 2014 I flew into Utapao from Koh Samui on Bangkok Airways.
The experience was very pleasant and convenient - but somewhat expensive - since Bangkok Airways controls most of everything regarding the Koh Samui airport. The van ride from Utapao to BoyzTown was about 45 minutes.

Here is what I posted about Utapao in my trip report:
post286661.html?hilit=Utapao#p286661 (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/post286661.html?hilit=Utapao#p286661)

This is the last segment of my 25 wonderful days in Thailand.

09 January тАУ 14 January 2014 Trip Report to Pattaya

Thursday 09 January тАУ Arrive in Pattaya - went to BoyzTown

Flew to UTP - Pattaya тАУ Utapao from USM - Koh Samui with Bangkok Airways departing at 11:10am and arriving at 12:25pm, costing 5,210 bahts тАУ not bad for a 1hour 15 minute flight. Arriving at the U-Tapao-Pattaya International Airport was a strange feeling as it has the look and feel of a military airport. In fact, it is a joint civil-military airport housing the Royal Thai Navy Airfield. Interestingly, U-Tapao was an ex-military base for the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War years. The airport is about 45 minutes away from BoyzTown in downtown Pattaya. Taxis were scarce so I had to share a van with 8 other single guys that looked like they were from Russia and/or some Arab countries. As they were very heterosexual, it was good that I was the last stop, as I would not have been able to imagine the look on their faces had we entered BoyzTown as the first stop. Hehehehe.
================= end of trip report excerpt ==============================

For you history buffs - we can link the role that Utapao had during the Vietnam war to what Pattaya is today.
enjoy this read:

http://www.1stoppattaya.com/articles/sattahip_gis/

Even before the start of the Vietnam War, American GIs had put Pattaya on the map as the best beach destination to unwind and indulge. But when large numbers of troops began to arrive at the neighbouring Ban Sattahip Air Base in 1968, things really picked up in Pattaya. Also known as U-Tapao International Airport, the army base at Sattahip was heavily staffed and used by the US Air Force throughout the Vietnam conflict.......

bruce_nyc
December 24th, 2015, 17:01
Great info! Interesting.... Thanks!

Patanawet
December 30th, 2015, 10:03
but have always imagined it as a place where weeds grow on the runway and a few bi-planes buzz around looping the loop.

My imagination was quite the opposite ----- I always thought that Utapao had the biggest runways in S.E.Asia; so big in fact that it was used by the Americans in the Vietnam war to handle B52 bombers. I also imagined that it once handled Concorde -- but that might be one imagination too far.

Gaybutton
December 30th, 2015, 12:21
I always thought that Utapao had the biggest runways in S.E.Asia
The runway at U-Tapao is 11,500 feet long.
The longest of the two runways at Suvarnabhumi is 13,123 feet long.

thaiguest
January 1st, 2016, 01:01
The upgrading if Utapao is part of the national development plan being hatched by the government. I've read that there's disagreement on an official name. "Pattaya Airport" is being considered and would seem to be the obvious choice but a caucus among the rulers is against this as they don't want their spanking new airport named after a location of sin, sun, spanking and so on.
It is their opinion that Pattaya had not done enough to promote family values.

dinagam
March 16th, 2016, 20:46
My recent experience going through Utapao airport:

1. Sometime around mid January 2016 - it took about an hour to clear immigration on arrival due to 2 aircrafts arriving simultaneously, with only 4 officers manning the booths.
2. There were 3 desks at the exit with touts offering taxi & minibus services. Bell Travel services for big bus transfers was also represented.
3. I took the minibus for 250 baht which dropped me off at my hotel. It passed by Jomtian to drop off passengers at hotels along the way & onwards to central & north Pattaya.
4. On a return trip to Utapao, I used the Bell Travel services long bus costing 150 baht, boarding from the north bus station, with only 3 passengers. Without stopping along the way it took about an hour to reach the airport.
5. During my most recent trip a week ago, Bell Travel services no longer served Utapao. I guess the minibus & taxi services provided value for money.
For 250 baht I got picked up from my hotel around the appointed time, and reached the airport in one hour approx.
To book a trip, simply send by sms to the following numbers: - 081-3772778, 081-8407150, stating your name, hotel & room number and day & time of travel. They will return a confirmation sms.
If you prefer taxi, it costs 700 baht.
6. There was some ongoing construction work for a new terminal? So far I've used the airport during the dry season. I dread to imagine what is it like to be bussed from the plane to the terminal and vice versa on a rainy day.

christianpfc
March 17th, 2016, 11:11
In brief, public transport options seem to be limited and expensive, considering you can get from Suwarnaphumi to Pattaya for 134 Baht (bus 389 "sex tourist express") or into Bangkok by various buses from the airport bus terminal (with a free shuttle from passenger terminal).

fountainhall
March 17th, 2016, 11:26
Utapao is certainly safe. Remember when the yellow shirt protestors closed down BKK in 2008? Many airlines moved flights over to Utapao, including top carriers like Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, United and Qantas. Since the rouble crashed, the number of Russian tourists flooding the country has also crashed. Not sure how many Russian charters still arrive there, though. TG and S7 have scrapped their scheduled flights to Moscow from BKK.

Dodger
March 17th, 2016, 16:26
The upgrading if Utapao is part of the national development plan being hatched by the government. I've read that there's disagreement on an official name. "Pattaya Airport" is being considered and would seem to be the obvious choice but a caucus among the rulers is against this as they don't want their spanking new airport named after a location of sin, sun, spanking and so on.
It is their opinion that Pattaya had not done enough to promote family values.

The reason for all the debating about the name actually has more to do with the struggle between the Thai Navy and civialian aviation in terms of who will be comissioned to manage and operate the airport going forward. The Thai Navy wants to maintain control and prefer to have the name remain "Utapao" and the Thai civilian airline industry wants "Pattaya" in the name. They are apparently close to reaching an agreement to name it "Pattaya-Utapao International Airport", although the two sides are still wrestling for control.

Plans to construct a new runway and international flight terminal have apparently been approved. They also plan to link a high speed rail system from BKK to Utapao as phase 2 of the project. This investment is aimed at relieving the capacity at Suvarnabhumi and Don Meung, as well as boost tourism is Sattahip and Rayong Provinces due to the fact that Pattaya is over-capacity and in the process of imploding.

I took a R/T Air Asia flight to Udon Thani from Utapao last November which was flawless...2,000 baht round trip.