PDA

View Full Version : Carrying your pasport.

arsenal
December 23rd, 2015, 09:00
The link below is copied from Gaybutton.
Two things come to mind reading this story. One is that the bars raided hadn't supplied enough tea and biscuits. Or, perhaps the Thai police have discovered that they can collect as much money by arresting people who are actually breaking the law thereby reducing the need for any corrupt practices. I think the latter may well be considerably worse than the first.

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7576

zinzone
December 23rd, 2015, 15:05
https://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/rt ... rts-times/ (https://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/rtp-spokesman-tourists-need-carry-pasports-times/)

egel
December 23rd, 2015, 16:56
It's all a pile of tosh.
If you read the current article they detained 1 yes ONE farang for an out of date passport. They also detained 3 suspected illegal Burmese.
What is there to worry about??
Suspect gaybutton is just trying to increase
his traffic!

Gaybutton
December 23rd, 2015, 17:33
Suspect gaybutton is just trying to increase
his traffic!
I have plenty of traffic, thank you, and I didn't post the OP on this board. You call it 'a pile of tosh.' I'm not the one who wrote the articles. I said on my board and I'll say it here - it would be irresponsible of me not to let people know what the police are doing and warn about it. If you don't want to carry your passport during this crackdown, am I supposed to care? I hope you don't get caught without it and if you do get caught without it I hope you won't have any problems. But if you do have problems, you can't say you weren't warned.

Tobi
December 23rd, 2015, 17:54
But if you do have problems...

"The Embassy, Esmeralda. The Embassy!!"

PeterUK
December 23rd, 2015, 18:42
For me the risks of carrying my passport with me at all times - losing the damn thing, having it stolen, wear and tear - far outweigh the remote (make that extremely remote) possibility that an officious boy in blue (sorry, brown) might demand to see it. I would reckon on being able to deal with such an eventuality reasonably amicably and without too much inconvenience if it arose anyway. Plenty of things alarm me in this perilous world, but not passport-inquisitive cops.

cdnmatt
December 23rd, 2015, 19:11
I agree with PeterUK. I remember in my younger years I used to pack my passport around with me. Then when I went to the Immigration Canada office to get it renewed one time, with the entire front emblem totally worn off, a couple pages slightly teared at the seam, a small bit of water damage, etc... well, they were less than happy to say the least.

Gaybutton
December 23rd, 2015, 19:27
For me the risks of carrying my passport with me at all times
Understood, but I'm not talking about all times. I'm talking about between now and New Year because that's the time period police are targeting foreigners.

I don't know what the argument is about. Those who don't want to carry their passport this week, or any other time, then don't.

Nirish guy
December 23rd, 2015, 19:32
? You left out your usual - "but you can't say you weren't warned" mantra .......

Tobi
December 23rd, 2015, 19:38
I'm talking about between now and New Year because that's the time period police are targeting foreigners.

Oh, all those hundreds and hundreds of poor foreigners, being compelled to languish in gaol for weeks-and-weeks-and-weeks and all because they simply forgot to carry their passports. You should call the Ambassador! :)]

arsenal
December 23rd, 2015, 19:53
Just occasionally I like to take a break from the never ending job of Gatekeeper to the House of Surfcrest and publish a simple information 'leaflet.' It's my equivalent of charity work.

a447
December 23rd, 2015, 20:36
I'm with the "take the risk" brigade.

If I ever found myself being asked for my passport by the police I'm sure we could come to some amicable "arrangement." 1000 baht would probably suffice and that's a small price to pay for keeping my passport locked away in the safe rather than in my pocket.

Gaybutton
December 23rd, 2015, 21:41
? You left out your usual - "but you can't say you weren't warned" mantra .......
How careless of me. I'll put it in. You can't say you weren't warned.

Tobi
December 24th, 2015, 01:16
You can't say you weren't warned.

I love your barking-mad hissy-fits. You've got to be a yaba addict. 8-}

egel
December 24th, 2015, 03:13
Now if they are looking for Syrian passports.... I joke not..think about it...

bruce_nyc
December 24th, 2015, 04:46
I agree that it might make some sense that they might be using this law to find certain foreigners here illegally. ( Tho they'd probably find the ones they're looking for easier at the immigration counter at the airport. ) I do wonder why it's only a bar or two on Walking Street in Pattaya that they targeted. That seems suspicious. Why not at the high end shops of Siam Paragon? Could their "crackdown" be somehow related to "morality"?

I also agree that it's far safer to keep it in the safe in your room regardless of that stupid law. Think of the 500 or 1000 baht maximum it might cost you..... in the extremely unlikely event you were caught up in a stupid sting..... as the cost of "passport insurance".

How would you feel if your passport were lost or stolen? I guarantee it'd cost a lot more than 500 or 1000 baht to get a new one.

cdnmatt
December 24th, 2015, 05:19
Now if they are looking for Syrian passports.... I joke not..think about it...

Yeah, that would actually make sense. They grabbed a single foreigner. Anyone know what nationality was he? Was he from an Arab country?

I wouln't be surprised if that's what they're doing, especially after the bomb attacks in Bangkok. It's just the police can't publicly mention they're searching for Syrians specifically.

bruce_nyc
December 24th, 2015, 05:53
It took us an extra month to get our visas to visit India... Because the India embassy ( and their outsorced agent ) in Bangkok stopped issuing all visas. We had to go to Laos to get a visa for India. Nobody could explain why the Indian Embassy in Bangkok stopped issuing any visas. Even when I went to the consulate office she could not ( or would not ) tell me why. Much later we heard that the reason was because of the bombing in Bangkok. Apparently India was overreacting. And I've heard that that's not the first time.

frequentfliers
December 24th, 2015, 06:35
I have visited Thailand for the last 18 years and have never been asked for my passport when out on the town.In saying that I also have never been in a bar or club that was raided by the police.Maybe a first time is due..

PeterUK
December 24th, 2015, 14:28
You can't say you weren't warned.

I do hope for your sake, when the great moment of self-justification arrives and a cop stops you and demands to see your passport, that a new crime has not come on to the statute books, namely, smugness in the presence of a police officer.

bruce_nyc
December 24th, 2015, 14:46
When I first moved to New York City, naturally, it didn't take long for me to realize that it was time to let go of our two cars and motorcycle from our previous home state. We sold them eventually. Of course, having a car in Manhattan is an enormous burden and expense. Nobody does it. So..... It didn't take long before my drivers license expired from my previous state too. I never got around to renewing it in time in my previous state, much less applying for a new one in New York.... when I didn't even own a car. I just procrastinated.... permanently. However, since you're still required to have government ID to do anything like banking, for example, I carried my passport in my pocket. For like 8 years..... I carried my passport in my pocket.... just like I carried my wallet.... because you never know when you'll need ID.

I can attest to the fact that that kind of daily use ( abuse ) *will* result in it looking almost like it's been run through a washing machine with your laundry. In fact, it got so bad that the US Border Protection warned me more than once that I should replace it. "We cannot guarantee that it will be honored next time."

These days, I have a new one.... and I keep it in the thick plastic case it originally came in.... and I keep it locked up in the safe. I only take it out rarely ( when flying, checking in to a hotel, or doing non-ATM banking ).... So it's pretty much in mint condition. But it's good for 10 years.... and 10 years is a *lot* of handling, use, and abuse.

christianpfc
December 31st, 2015, 10:11
For me the risks of carrying my passport with me at all times - losing the damn thing, having it stolen, wear and tear - far outweigh the remote (make that extremely remote) possibility that an officious boy in blue (sorry, brown) might demand to see it. I would reckon on being able to deal with such an eventuality reasonably amicably and without too much inconvenience if it arose anyway. Plenty of things alarm me in this perilous world, but not passport-inquisitive cops.
I came to the same conclusion after carrying my passport with me all the time for 1 year and having it stolen once in this time, but never having been asked for my passport in 4 years in Thailand.

How would you feel if your passport were lost or stolen? I guarantee it'd cost a lot more than 500 or 1000 baht to get a new one.
8000 Baht and 20 hours in my case (Songkran 2013). The 8000 Baht is including "express fee" (something like 2 weeks instead of 4 at German embassy in Bangkok).

arsenal
December 31st, 2015, 15:19
I've been stopped by the police on numerous occasions and even been caught up in a radi at Dave Mans' Club but I've never been asked for my passport. If this became a genuine enforced rule the embassies would be overrun with citizens needing new ones.

fedssocr
January 2nd, 2016, 00:40
At the risk of jinxing myself, I've always carried my passport with me. These days I have some very nice REI trousers and shorts that have an extra zippered pocket inside the lefthand front pocket that is the perfect size to hold it. http://www.rei.com/product/877604/rei-adventures-pants-mens-28-inseam I did get a nice leather passport cover to keep it from getting crinkled up in humid weather.

christianpfc
January 14th, 2016, 10:12
I don't use a passport cover (when I carry my passport with me because I need it for immigration or hotel check-in or banking), but I put it in a plastic bag. One day I will get a drink spilled over my trousers, or fall into a river, or get into heavy rain without protection, and thanks to the plastic bag my passport will stay dry.

francois
January 14th, 2016, 11:30
I don't use a passport cover (when I carry my passport with me because I need it for immigration or hotel check-in or banking), but I put it in a plastic bag. One day I will get a drink spilled over my trousers, or fall into a river, or get into heavy rain without protection, and thanks to the plastic bag my passport will stay dry.

Good idea! This is how a drowned tourist was ID.

The body of a 50-year-old British National was discovered in waters off the coast of Pattaya on Monday Morning and for now Police are unsure of the circumstances surrounding his death.

Sea Rescue Workers removed the body of Mr. Jeffrey Carl Hewitt from the water (incorrectly described as Icelandic by other media outlets), and apart from his British Passport, was carrying nothing else in his short trousers.

The body was first seen by fishermen approximately 1km off the coast of Pattaya Beach, in the approximate area of Central Pattaya. There were no visible marks on Mr. HewittтАЩs body and Police are currently unsure if this was an accident or if foul play was a cause of his demise.

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/2206 ... aya-beach/ (http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220636/british-man-drowns-off-pattaya-beach/)

Dboy
January 18th, 2016, 10:05
Brochure handed out in Soi Cowboy, November 2015 (originally reported by Stickman):

http://imgur.com/CdjCx17

(image shows that BKK police say to carry a COPY of the first page of passport and the entry stamp/ Visa page..not the original one). Of course there's the official policy and there's real world policy. Best not to have in run-in's with cops if you can help it.

jimnbkk
January 21st, 2016, 09:30
I agree with PeterUK. I remember in my younger years I used to pack my passport around with me. Then when I went to the Immigration Canada office to get it renewed one time, with the entire front emblem totally worn off, a couple pages slightly teared at the seam, a small bit of water damage, etc... well, they were less than happy to say the least.

If you want to carry your passport and not damage it, I have found that the SCB bankbook cover, (clear plastic), is a perfect size.

I don't carry mine with me. I've been coming to Thailand about 12 years and have never been asked for it.