PDA

View Full Version : How much time passed..

christianpfc
December 11th, 2015, 11:26
Question for those who have or had a Thai boyfriend: how much time passed between first meeting your future boyfriend (or past if it's an ex now) and proposing? How much of this time have you spent together, in what environment, which activities?

(Language note: how do you shorten this question for a headline?)

Jellybean
December 11th, 2015, 12:35
How long before proposing what exactly ChristianPFC? Before proposing you go out for dinner? Proposing you meet his parents? Proposing you have sex? Proposing you set up home together? Proposing you have a shared bank account? The list is endless.

Were you perhaps meaning proposing getting married? If so, that's something I've never done and, at this late stage, doubt I ever will.

One suggestion for a more pithy title, assuming you were alluding to the question of marriage might be: How long before you popped the question? Hmmm ... but that is even longer than your original title, but I believe most people would get the meaning.

But it could be shortened to: When did you pop the question? And retain the meaning.

bruce_nyc
December 11th, 2015, 14:07
My fiance and I met..... and then we spent nearly all of our time together... for about 5 months.... before I asked him if he would marry me. ( I just now verified this with him. ) He says he thought about it very carefully for about 1 month.... before deciding, yes, to marry me.

We will be married in New York about a month from now.

bruce_nyc
December 11th, 2015, 14:09
( is someone we know preparing to pop a question......? ) :-*

francois
December 11th, 2015, 14:18
Question for those who have or had a Thai boyfriend: how much time passed between first meeting your future boyfriend (or past if it's an ex now) and proposing? ]

My Thai bf "proposed" to me within three weeks of first meeting him. However an unexpected interlude of two years occurred before I was able to accept his proposal. That was 14 years ago.

Smiles
December 11th, 2015, 14:29
I had to go back and add up the years on this one.

~ Met in Bangkok December 2000.
~ As I was still working then I traveled to Thailand on holiday about twice a year from 2001 until November 2007.
~ Retired in December of 2007 and we have lived together in Hua Hin since that time. So that adds up to 7 years of getting-to know-you, plus 8 years shacked up.
~ That makes us now just slightly over the ha sip/ha sip mark.

Not too shabby I guess. And still a very happy union if I don't say so myself.

cdnmatt
December 11th, 2015, 15:21
First 6 months was just getting to know each other in Pattaya, plus I made an occasional trip to KL to see my parents during that time. I just gave him a key to the Mosaik apartment (and subsequent apartments I moved to), and he would come and go as he pleased. We weren't with each other 24x7, but seen each other nearly every day. Just did the typical things you do in Pattaya -- go eat Thai BBQ, go to karoke, have sex, cuddle and watch a movie, etc. Some nights we'd sleep together, some nights not -- was up to him, and how he felt that day.

At the end of Pattaya he had a falling out with with roommate, so was with me basically 24x7 then. After that, we moved to Khon Kaen, and spent the first couple months in a hotel. We were probably a little too close to each other then for comfort -- he didn't have any friends in Khon Kaen, I obviously didn't either, so we were with each other in a hotel room 24x7. Wasn't bad though.

Then we "stumbled" into a cheap house for 4500/month, and lived there for about 2.5 years. As for activities, we just did the typical things that any couple does. Well, aside from the 10 ladyboys that were living with us by the end -- that's probably not very typical.

bruce_nyc
December 11th, 2015, 15:26
10 bridesmaids.....? ;)

cdnmatt
December 11th, 2015, 15:42
heh, I wish... but no. 10 low life pieces of shit, actually. They rubbed off on Kim a little too much I think, as when we broke up he was a different person than when we first met.

Jellybean
December 11th, 2015, 15:52
. . . Retired in December of 2007 and we have lived together in Hua Hin since that time. So that adds up to 7 years of getting-to know-you, plus 8 years shacked up. ~ That makes us now just slightly over the ha sip/ha sip mark . . .
Crikey Smiles! Fifty years (h├вa-s├мp bpii) together. Well, well, well, and you both look so young! Must be something in the water in Hua Hin. The Thai equivalent of Shangri-La by the sounds of it.

But be careful, you do realise you canтАЩt leave, otherwise profound and dreadful consequences will ensue. :-s

s├мp-h├вa bpii = 15 years :-B

anonone
December 11th, 2015, 18:56
I think in this context, smiles meant ha sip/ha sip to mean 50%
Same amount of time "dating" as "married".

As for me, took about 2 years before becoming "committed" to each other, with about 5 trips of 7-10 days each year together.
Gradually over that time became closer and more partner-like.

scottish-guy
December 11th, 2015, 19:36
I normally find they propose to me as we approach an iphone shop

dinagam
December 11th, 2015, 20:51
Has anyone gone through the Elizabeth Taylor's experience of more than half a dozen spouses?

Smiles
December 12th, 2015, 00:42
I think in this context, smiles meant ha sip/ha sip to mean 50%.
Same amount of time "dating" as "married".
Thanks Anonone .... bingo!
Jellybean, please lay off the yaba before you post. Heaven forbid that you should become a clone of the one and only wombat living on this board.

Jellybean
December 12th, 2015, 00:45
I think in this context, smiles meant ha sip/ha sip to mean 50%Same amount of time "dating" as "married" . . .
Ah, cтАЩmon anonone, donтАЩt be such a party pooper. YouтАЩve been a member here long enough to know that you donтАЩt let the facts get in the way of a good post.

Smiles, no offence meant, hope you saw the funny side of my post.

Right, IтАЩm a little pixilated, met a great guy tonight and IтАЩm very happy, but itтАЩs high time I went to bed.

Goodnight all! i-)

colmx
December 12th, 2015, 02:29
I met my BF 13 years ago last month...
Not really how we went from our first meeting to being BFs... it just kinda happened and evolved over time...

A lot of people say we are more like best friends than BFs as neither of us is the lovey dovey type - and neither of us the jealous type... the fact that we are both quite predatory when we spot a potential "victim" makes us very compatible

Any talk of marriage is usually laughed off by both sides (who would be the wife!) - and he is so superstitious!

We spend around 14 weeks of the year together (me in Thailand for 9, him in Ireland for 5) chat on phone 3-4 times a day when separated and also by line chat, FB Chat and Line Video Chat

anonone
December 12th, 2015, 06:04
Ah, got it. Sorry, I must have been channeling my inner ChristianPFC.

Cheers.

bruce_nyc
December 12th, 2015, 09:43
I normally find they propose to me as we approach an iphone shop

Ha ha !! Nothing ever has been more true...

Has anyone gone through the Elizabeth Taylor's experience of more than half a dozen spouses?

I have. Tho only the last 4 have been Thai. In fact, I think I have Elizabeth Taylor and Liza Minelli *combined*.... beat.

christianpfc
December 12th, 2015, 11:46
How long before proposing what exactly ChristianPFC? Before proposing you go out for dinner? Proposing you meet his parents? Proposing you have sex? Proposing you set up home together? Proposing you have a shared bank account? The list is endless.

Were you perhaps meaning proposing getting married? If so, that's something I've never done and, at this late stage, doubt I ever will.

make an offer of marriage to someone.
"I have already proposed to Sarah"
synonyms: ask someone to marry you, make an offer of marriage, offer marriage; informal pop the question;
dated ask for someone's hand in marriage
"you've proposed to her!"
But in gay context I mean boyfriend and not marriage. I just realize, before gay marriage boyfriend was the highest achievable status, whereas in the straight world boyfriend/girlfriend is just an intermediate.