PDA

View Full Version : How much do you trust Thai Pharmacies?

Chuai-Duai
December 8th, 2015, 17:40
In the UK I take a prescribed medicine everyday which, as IтАЩm not yet 60, I have to pay for. ItтАЩs not a particularly powerful drug and it doesnтАЩt treat anything very serious. ItтАЩs not available at many pharmacies in Thailand but it was on sale at the very large one (sorry donтАЩt know the name) which is some way up North Pattaya Road on the right as you head out of Pattaya assuming it's still there.

I'll be back in Pattaya in a few days and I could buy a yearтАЩs supply for less than I pay for one month in the UK. But IтАЩve seen many stories about fake drugs in Thailand that I wonder if itтАЩs a good idea?

By-the-way itтАЩs not an antibiotic which I wouldnтАЩt buy.

Up2U
December 8th, 2015, 18:00
In the UK I take a prescribed medicine everyday which, as IтАЩm not yet 60, I have to pay for. ItтАЩs not a particularly powerful drug and it doesnтАЩt treat anything very serious. ItтАЩs not available at many pharmacies in Thailand but it was on sale at the very large one (sorry donтАЩt know the name) which is some way up North Pattaya Road on the right as you head out of Pattaya assuming it's still there.

I'll be back in Pattaya in a few days and I could buy a yearтАЩs supply for less than I pay for one month in the UK. But IтАЩve seen many stories about fake drugs in Thailand that I wonder if itтАЩs a good idea?

By-the-way itтАЩs not an antibiotic which I wouldnтАЩt buy.
It sounds like you referring to Fascino, which is a Thai chain. You can buy with confidence at Fascino. Get a member card and your next purchase is 5% off.

scottish-guy
December 8th, 2015, 20:56
Paying for prescriptions in the UK?

Clearly the OP is not a resident of Wales or N. Ireland - where the long-suffering English subsidise free prescriptions in the Principality of Wales or the Province of NI (aka: regions of England) - as well as everything else within the basket-case Welsh & NI economies which are of course both run by a bunch of tenth-rate politicians.

Just thought I'd save Kommie or Arsenal pointing this out, as I know how keen they are to be seen to be even-handed on such matters and certainly wouldn't dream of singling out any particular constituent part of the UK.

I'm 100% sure they'll have something to add though :p

To be more on topic - in Thailand I find it pays to be fussier anout where you insert your cock than about what you withdraw from a Pharmacy

:))

arsenal
December 8th, 2015, 21:25
Thank you Scottish, I didn't know you cared. :x

CD. Don't bother with the pharmacies. Go to a proper doctor. They don't charge any more and you're as sure as you can be about getting the genuine article.

scottish-guy
December 8th, 2015, 21:32
I care about all the lovely SGT posters O:-)

Your advice is interesting as I've never had the need to consult a Doctor in LOS - are you saying that the Doctor dispenses the prescription rather than the Px taking it to a pharmacy to be dispensed?

Just asking.

arsenal
December 8th, 2015, 21:43
Well I don't know about all doctors or all drugs but the doctor I go to sells me the stuff I want.

scottish-guy
December 8th, 2015, 21:50
Fair enough - it had never occurred to me.

Your advice to the OP seems very sensible then

anonone
December 9th, 2015, 05:03
Not sure why a Doctor would be any more reliable source then a pharmacy. Most of the counterfeit stuff happens much higher in the supply chain.
Doctors and Chain Pharmacies are probably getting their inventory from the same distribution.

Without knowing what the medication is...what would be the ramifications if it is not effective? Would there be warning signs that would enable you to get a new supply...other then just dropping dead?

Risk vs Reward

arsenal
December 9th, 2015, 09:35
Anonone: I do think a doctor is more trustworthy. Also, if someone need a prescription drug regularly surely it's better to at least have an ongoing relationship with a highly trained professional medical practitioner than not. Because maybe, at some point you'll need him/her for another reason.

roguebear
December 9th, 2015, 10:59
I buy some medications over the counter at Fascino and save quite a bit. I was surprised by the number of medications that do not require a prescription. The larger Fascinos have a Doctor on site, for a few hours a day, who can write script for a very small fee like 150 Baht. Some medications are significantly cheaper and I stock up for the year. However, some medications were priced comparable to what I pay in the US and require a prescription. The meds I got look and work just like the ones I receive in the US. I have been doing this for the last 4 years with no problem.

December 9th, 2015, 11:47
Getting your drugs dispensed by the doctor is a common practice in parts of SE Asia. It allows the doctor to enhance his earnings by getting the margin between the wholesale and retail cost

Chuai-Duai
January 5th, 2016, 11:35
It turns out that the generic version of the drug is no longer available. So the one they have at Fascino is a European import at four times the cost of paying the Prescription Charge back in the UK.

Oh well, never mind.

Up2U
January 5th, 2016, 15:46
Check the Chinese-Thai pharmacies on Rama 4 between Silom and Surawongse in Bangkok.

Patanawet
January 5th, 2016, 17:00
Check the Chinese-Thai pharmacies on Rama 4 between Silom and Surawongse in Bangkok.
Up2U is probably referring to CHULA BESAJ.
Be sure to get the right one --- that stretch of Rama 4 has several pharmacies next to each other.
Chula Besaj is big and crazy with a minimum of 10 staff scurrying around.
Many customers have sort of Excel sheets suggesting to me that they are from hospitals or doctors.

firecat69
January 6th, 2016, 04:55
The one next door going towards Silom is under same ownership and a little less hectic but doe not stock as many drugs.

Chula Besaj supplies most of the hospitals and I found them because a Dr at Bunrungrad told me to go there instead of hospital pharmacy where prices were much higher.

I have also had good luck with LL at Central Festival Mall. First pharmacy on right walking in from Pattaya 2 Rd. They don't have everything but they discount aggressively and prices are similar to BKK on some drugs.

Patanawet
January 6th, 2016, 13:37
Chula Besaj supplies most of the hospitals and I found them because a Dr at Bunrungrad told me to go there instead of hospital pharmacy where prices were much higher.

Thanks firecat for confirming my thoughts that Chula Bhesaj as supplying Hospitals.

Sorry if I'm repeating things I've said before but I think they're still valid:
Write your needs on a piece of paper (the assistant may not understand your accent) and if the pharmacy is packed out, just go into the middle of the crowd with your piece of paper prominently in your hand and invariably an assistant will find you.

This pharmacy saves me about 2k Baht per month (3K down to 1) on the prices at Bangkok Christian Hospital pharmacy.

Another tip --- also applies to any shopping in Thailand --- photograph what you're looking for on your phone or look for it on Google Images and photograph that. Saved me hours some time ago when looking for sink plungers (also save the embarrassing mime in a shop-full of people).

bkkguy
January 6th, 2016, 18:21
Chula Besaj supplies most of the hospitals

Zuellig Pharma and DKSH, both multi-nationals, have been building very large country-wide pharmaceutical warehousing and distribution networks in Thailand for almost 100 years so it is good to hear that plucky little family-run Chula Besaj with its one double shophouse and 3 courier bikes has managed to capture most of the hospital market in less than 30 years of operation

bkkguy