View Full Version : Islamic State plotting attacks in Thailand: Lindsay Murdoch

lonelywombat
December 4th, 2015, 10:03
http://www.theage.com.au/world/islamic- ... lfg4f.html (http://www.theage.com.au/world/islamic-state-plotting-attacks-in-thailand-reports-20151204-glfg4f.html)

Bangkok: Islamic State is believed to have deployed 10 terrorists plotting attacks across Thailand, including at two tourist centres popular with Australians, according to Thai media citing a leaked police memo.

Issued "urgent" and "secret" the memo urges Thai authorities to increase security around venues associated with allies that have joined attacks on IS in Syria, including Australia, the United States, France, Germany and Belgium.

The memo cites intelligence information from Russia that between October 15 and October 31 four Syrian terrorists travelled to the tourist city of Pattaya, two arrived in Phuket тАУ where 20,000 Australians holiday each month тАУ two went to Bangkok and another two went to an unknown destination.

The information was sent by the Russian Federal Security Service, or FSB, to Thailand's National Security Council.

The memo dated November 27 leaked to Thai media outlets warns that the alleged terrorists are "likely" to attack Russian interests in Thailand, presumably in revenge for Russia stepping up air strikes against IS in Syria.

Thailand is popular with Russian tourists and Russians have established communities in Phuket and Pattaya.

Thai media reported on Thursday they have been unable to confirm the details contained in the memo with Russian authorities, but they reported the memo was issued by the intelligence arm of the Thai national police known as the Special Branch and was sent to all of its investigative branches.

The memo did not detail the terrorists' exact whereabouts or their names.

The warnings come three months after August 17 bombings in Bangkok that killed 20 people and injured 130 others. They are likely to damage Thailand's tourist industry, which accounts for 10 per cent of its economy, as it enters the peak tourist season.

Australia's smartraveller.gov.au warns Australians to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the possibility of civil unrest and the threat of terrorist attack.

But the advisory does not specially mention Russian intelligence.

In September a leaked Malaysian police report warned that 10 suicide bombers linked to IS and the southern Philippine terrorist group, Abu Sayyaf, had been deployed across Malaysia.

Malaysia's police chief, Khalid Abu Bakar, said at the time the memo was authentic but warned the information was not verified.

"There have been reports of imminent threats in Malaysia," he said.

Malaysia's government pushed through new national security laws on Thursday that give sweeping powers to a council headed by Prime Minister Najib Razak to declare a security area to protect "any interest in Malaysia".

Once a declaration is made the country's security forces are permitted to limit freedom of movement, conduct any searches and to arrest anyone on suspicion of committing "any offence under any written law".

But Phil Robertson, deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division, said the laws create a risk of abuse in the hands of Mr Najib, who is under fire over allegations of corruption, money politics and economic mismanagement.

Scores of government critics have been arrested or charged in recent months.

arsenal
December 4th, 2015, 14:47
That list now also includes The UK.

Nirish guy
December 4th, 2015, 16:04
Call me a cynic but I reckon the guys have bugged off for a holiday from all the Jihad stuff for a couple of weeks just, something like "Hey Amhed all this bombing is starting to get on my tits, you fancy fucking off for a while, I hear Pattaya is good at this time of the year and there's lots of cute / cheap guys and girls in a place called Pattaya?" - Fuck it says Mohammed ( not the peace by upon him one the other one his mate) book it, pack and lets GO !

See, who needs sanctions and aerial bombings to stop IS, all that was needed was Walking Street and Sunee Plaza it seems ! :-)

cdnmatt
December 4th, 2015, 16:21
Why would they target Malaysia? It's an Islamic state already.

Surfcrest
December 4th, 2015, 19:13
http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/04/plot-against-russian-interests-thailand-warns-fsb

I'm pretty sure Thailand hasn't sent any fighter jets to bomb Syria, but I may be wrong.

Surfcrest

Smiles
December 4th, 2015, 20:27
I'm pretty sure Thailand hasn't sent any fighter jets to bomb Syria, but I may be wrong.
And I doubt anyone ever will. Thailand likes to stay well away from the heavy problem stuff in this world.
The Thai Navy performs one bangup of a fine job guarding the King here in Hua Hin ... and that means even when he is in Siriraj Hospital in Bangkok. The Navy also likes to play footsy with those murderous boat people. The Non Comish Off's love fishing at Ban Saray.
Does Thailand Air Force actually have a plane. Who knows.
There was once a rumour 6 or 7 years ago that Thailand was threatening Cambodia with a small nuclear device over the Prasat Khao Phra Wihan Problem, but that got lost in the bureaucracy somewhere. It could be dug up mind you.

thaiguest
December 4th, 2015, 21:00
Islamic (in this case Syrian) terrorists would most likely transit from Malaysia to Thailand via the southern provinces of Thailand. If terrorists have arrived in Pattaya they will most likely be embedded in the arab quarter of the city and we know where that is; just as the Uyghur bombers lay low in the Uyghur district of Bangkok. This is not to defame either community. This is a serious matter. I'm surprised at the flippancy shown here by some. Excellent original post.

arsenal
December 4th, 2015, 21:05
China hasn't got any fighter jets there either but IS still killed a Chinese Hostage.

bruce_nyc
December 4th, 2015, 21:55

Every country they have attacked has been an Islamic country. That's not the point. In fact, "Islamic State" aka Isis, Isil, IS or Daesh... are NOT Islamic at all.

It would be like if a domestic terrorist group in the US called itself, "The Christian State" .....as they went about raping, murdering, plundering, etc., etc....

December 5th, 2015, 04:40
Have you thought about doing some fact-checking before you post? Malaysia is majority Muslim (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Malaysia), but by no means an Islamic state. Daesh would be aiming to exterminate all the non-Muslims (roughly 40% of the population), just as they have in Syria and Iraq, if they attempted to turn Malaysia into an Islamic state.

Smiles
December 5th, 2015, 06:55
In fact, "Islamic State" aka Isis, Isil, IS or Daesh... are NOT Islamic at all.
Isis is not much different from any other 'legitimate' state in the Middle East - the difference lies only in their level of bloodthirstiness, which is formidable.
Deep down the Middle East is completely awash in Fascist states. Isis is only slightly different mainly because it is not a member of the United Nations, and doesn't seem to get the concept of 'borders'.

francois
December 5th, 2015, 10:59

According to Google, their Air Force has at least 100 fighter jets.

Smiles
December 5th, 2015, 11:02
Thanks for that Francois. Obviously tongue-in-cheek is not your favourite tool.

anonone
December 5th, 2015, 11:21

Every country they have attacked has been an Islamic country. That's not the point. In fact, "Islamic State" aka Isis, Isil, IS or Daesh... are NOT Islamic at all.

It would be like if a domestic terrorist group in the US called itself, "The Christian State" .....as they went about raping, murdering, plundering, etc., etc....

KKK, for instance.

December 5th, 2015, 13:05
Thanks for that Francois. Obviously tongue-in-cheek is not your favourite tool.
Not your cheek, anyway

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2015, 13:56
In fact, "Islamic State" aka Isis, Isil, IS or Daesh... are NOT Islamic at all.

Yeah, they're US created, trained, and equipped.

Sure glad Bush and Cheney went into Iraq, and left all the military equipment behind. Thank god we got rid of those non-existant WMDs though. Phew... otherwise, Saddam would still be in power ruling Iraq with an iron first, which quite fucken obviously is required to run a country like a Iraq.

Oliver
December 5th, 2015, 15:46
The US's "other" ally in the region, Saudi Arabia, is the source of the Wahhibism which is causing these problems and the money that keeps Daesh so dangerous, has its origins there and (as Russia has pointed out) from the oil that, another US "ally", Turkey, buys from them. Some of which, allegedly, is sold on to Israel. Money talks....even across warring religions.

Of course, some would argue that Daesh is not only the creation of ultra-conservative groups but is quietly but effectively support by the US and its allies because it is anti-Shia...and therefore, anti -Iran. The secular nationalism of Iraq, Libya and Syria is seen by US neo-cons as more dangerous than Wahhabism. And so the vicious autocracy of the Saudis is supported while the secular autocrats attacked. Historians will be interested by the US's support for fundamentalism- Islamic in Saudi Arabia, Jewish in Israel and Christian at home.

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 16:29
They support religious fanatic extremists.... no matter *what* religion they are.... all over the world....

Why?

Because who better to become warring parties...?

And "the powers that be" want more than anything.... in one word.... war.

War is the most profitable enterprise ever invented -- both in more and more financial profits and attaining more and more power.

Also, they have a list of countries they want to destroy and take over.... one by one.... planned many years in advance. The only thing that changes is the exact excuse they decide to give to the people about why they are taking these extreme actions. Often, they claim they must "liberate" the people of a country... ignoring the fact that there are 80 other countries in much worse circumstances.... which they are ignoring.

They want war.... but it also must serve a strategic global outcome whereby they end up with more worldwide power than they had before... and they always do.

It's not always about oil. More often, in fact, it's because the countries they target are countries where they *don't* yet have total control of that country's Central Bank. Once they control a country's Central Bank.... they own the entire country in every way. They also pay off the politicians, get them elected, and force them to vote to "privatize" all of that country's natural resources. Of course, the Central Banksters are the ones buying *all* of the country's natural resources. Their objective is to have the entire country by the balls. They already have most countries by the balls. There are only a few they *don't* totally control yet.

It won't be long before we have that One World Government.

Many say we already secretly do.

Smiles
December 5th, 2015, 17:00
It won't be long before we have that One World Government. Many say we already secretly do.
Oh good god ... yawning wide as well.

The right wing conspiracy nut-jobs are slowly slowly infiltrating ... SAWATDEE B-) . Eh.
And here I thought Oliver was the worst, on every level. But no ....

The best of the best of the New World Order scatterbrained group; The ever-engrossing Mr Alex Jones.

[youtube:26umxosw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MeFiZRdkWI[/youtube:26umxosw]

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 17:28
It's not a "left-wing / right-wing" thing at all. It's way above that.

There does exist a small set of, what many people call, the "global elite". It's a fact. They do pull all the strings. It's a fact.

The efforts toward a One World Government are not even a secret at all. Everything is going in that direction.... quite openly. Nobody involved denies it. In fact, they talk about their plan very plainly and openly. I mean, most of their methods are secret, of course. But the ultimate goal.... they talk about often and plainly.

Existing regional unions of nations

European Union[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
NATO[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
CARICOM[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
African Union[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
ASEAN[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
Commonwealth of Independent States[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
Arab League[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
Union of South American Nations[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]
Turkic Council[/*:m:w0ls3jr8]

These are not "theories". They are facts.

Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_government

The media you get your "facts" from.... might not be Alex Jones.... but it is definitely one big giant Propaganda Machine.

Take a close look at some of these facts.... https://goo.gl/D09Luc

Globally, almost ALL media --- from the small town newspaper to the national news networks --- is now owned and controlled by only FIVE *5* corporations.

Five men sit in a room and decide what you will know about, and what you will be made to believe... to illicit the feelings, and thus the reactions... that they want you to have, and do.

Smiles
December 5th, 2015, 17:40
The efforts toward a One World Government are not even a secret at all ... I mean, most of their methods are secret, of course. But the ultimate goal.... they talk about often and plainly.
OK ... Just for you. Alex [Mr ONE WORLD ORDER] Jones going crazy. It hardly ever gets better than this.
These are the type of dudes you are partnering with.

[youtube:2m41iwfr]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8FUHVLHzVA[/youtube:2m41iwfr]

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2015, 17:46
Back in 2002, the Middle East was for the most part quite peaceful, aside from Israel and Palestine. Then the US went into Iraq for no apparent reason, and everything went to hell.

Do you really believe that was just a big "whoops", or maybe a little more to it?

Dalewood
December 5th, 2015, 17:56

ISIS and Boko Haram have killed far more muslims than those of other religions.

Dalewood
December 5th, 2015, 18:00
In other news, this week the brilliant Senate of the US defeated a law that would have prevented those on the US Terror Watch List from legally buying weapons. If I am going to get shot for nothing, I might as well get shot in Pattaya.

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 18:03
Do you really believe that was just a big "whoops", or maybe a little more to it?

A lot more to it... 50+ years of planning.

Smiles, if I find a lunatic who agrees with you.... Does that make me right and you wrong?

arsenal
December 5th, 2015, 19:44
CDMatt is right. Only a bastard like Saddam can control a nation such as Iraq. But that has become apparent quite recently. Right up until and indeed after the 'Arab Spring' there was a genuine consensus that democracy would work in those countries. Now we know.

Smiles
December 5th, 2015, 20:20
Smiles, if I find a lunatic who agrees with you.... Does that make me right and you wrong?
:-o Bruce, from everything you've written on this board over the years I've never witnessed you "being right" on any subject at all. Much less this one, in particular.

But do carry on ...

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 20:58
You didn't answer the question. Just sayin'....

To be very clear.... The point is: If I find a seemingly crazy guy who agrees with you ( on any topic )... No. That does *not* make you wrong.

It doesn't make a person wrong.... just because a crazy guy agrees with him.

Bringing up Alex Jones and ridiculing him..... is just a distraction, and a way of evading the topic.

Why don't you mock Wikipedia too?

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2015, 21:06
Anyone who believes the official story, that we went into Iraq because Bush is a freedom loving junkie is just plain retarded.

You'd have a tough time convincing me that the Pentagon, CIA, NSA, MI5, etc... didn't know they were going on flaky at best intelligence. There were quite obviously some ulterior motives there. You don't send 120,000 soldiers to invade a foreign nation on a hunch they might have weapons you don't agree with. If that was the case, I'm pretty sure North Korea would have been invaded by now.

Same as I don't believe the "Arab Spring" just naturally occured out of nowhere. Something helped ignite that, and I doubt it was the one dude who lit himself on fire.

arsenal
December 5th, 2015, 21:35
CDMatt: Invading North Korea would be virtually impossible without at least the tacit consent of China. They tried it in the 50s if you remember.

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 22:31
Anyone who believes the official story, that we went into Iraq because Bush is a freedom loving junkie is just plain retarded.

This made me laugh out loud. It's so true.

Same as I don't believe the "Arab Spring" just naturally occured out of nowhere. Something helped ignite that, and I doubt it was the one dude who lit himself on fire.

It didn't occur out of nowhere.... It was a Twitter thing. If they have Twitter.... this is what always happens. ( I know that for sure because I heard it on the news. ) ;)

a447
December 5th, 2015, 22:46
The threat is a real concern, but I'm going ahead with my trip to LOS in a fortnight, regardless. What can you do? You can't live your life in fear and stay at home. And these days probably nowhere is 100% safe.

But I certainly will not be hanging around where crowds are. Last year I went to the Ratchaprong intersection for New Year but unlike my previous NY I didn't venture into the middle of the crowd, deciding to stand on the edge across the road from the the Gaysorn shopping centre. I made sure I stood next to one of those concrete pillars supporting the BTS.

This year I'm going to spend NY eve in Chiang Mai, preferably in bed with a handsome Shan guy.

But when in Bangkok I'll also be staying away from the Patpong Market. I always get an uneasy feeling whenever I walk through that market. And these days travelling on the BTS worries me a bit, as does walking down Soi Twilight and going to Siam Paragon.

Shit! Maybe I should stay at home afterall!

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 23:00
Don't stay home. Use Uber to get around. Avoid highly crowded placed. You'll be fine.

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2015, 23:10
CDMatt: Invading North Korea would be virtually impossible without at least the tacit consent of China. They tried it in the 50s if you remember.

Ok, then how about Syria? They definitely have WMDs. They've even crossed the magical "red line" that Obama said they're not allowed to cross. Why aren't we sending a massive ground force there?

Oh right, we were hoping to, but it didn't work out quite as planned. Just before Bush declared "mission accomplished" in Iraq, there was tons of propogranda regarding Syria. All the major news networks were reporting that Iraq may not have WMD, because they smuggled them into Syria before the invasion, so we should probably invade Syria too.

Unfortunately, Iraq didn't go as planned -- ok, it went to complete hell. Then the Arab Spring magically happened, loads of US military equipment was left sitting in Iraq (finders, keepers I guess), and now we as a world have this mess on our hands.

francois
December 5th, 2015, 23:54
Ok, then how about Syria? They definitely have WMDs. They've even crossed the magical "red line" that Obama said they're not allowed to cross. Why aren't we sending a massive ground force there?

What's this we shit? Thought you were a Canadian?

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2015, 00:01
Yes, "we" as in Westerners. In case you didn't know, Canada was involved quite heavily in Afghanistan, and somewhat in Iraq, plus is currently bombing ISIS locations in Syria and Iraq.

Actually, Afghanistan was the first time Canadian soldiers were killed in combat since the Korean War.

francois
December 6th, 2015, 00:05
Well then, maybe Canada should lead the way with a massive ground force and show the world how it is done?
The USA tried and look what happened both in Vietnam and Iraq and Afghanistan.

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2015, 00:06
No, Trudeau has promised to do the opposite. Go the other the way -- stop bombing Muslim nations, and maybe they'll stop being in such a murderous rage against us.

Brad the Impala
December 6th, 2015, 01:36
CDMatt is right. Only a bastard like Saddam can control a nation such as Iraq. But that has become apparent quite recently. Right up until and indeed after the 'Arab Spring' there was a genuine consensus that democracy would work in those countries. Now we know.

And only a paranoid bastard like Gaddafi could control Libya or a western educated sadistic bastard like Assad control Syria.....Oh. He was suucch a bastard that his people revolted. There's always one that breaks the trend. Maybe he wasn't a bastard enough initially, that's a western education for you!

arsenal
December 6th, 2015, 07:49
Brad: Regarding Gaddifi. This is interesting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35005828

Smiles
December 6th, 2015, 14:39
Arsenal: Regarding Gaddafi. This is interesting also.
http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2011/0 ... -in-libya/ (http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2011/03/02/how-the-abu-salim-prison-massacre-in-1996-inspired-the-revolution-in-libya/)

Brad the Impala
December 6th, 2015, 17:28

The same old same old, let's show our power and remove the tyrant, without any comprehension of the likelihood of what will probably follow. As Gaddafi, ghastly as he may have been, correctly forecast, since the fragmentation of Libya on his demise, that country has become the main conduit of refugees from all of Africa to Europe.

As the article also points out, the economic benefits of a stable and profitable Libya spread far beyond it's borders into Central Africa. The loss of those benefits is another factor in the desperate migration of refugees.

The west keep trying to overthrow national dictators, "for the sake of their own population", allegedly, but history shows that the life of the population often gets worse if we succeed.

cdnmatt
December 6th, 2015, 17:47
I don't know, but Gaddafi doesn't seem too bad to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... ar_Gaddafi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Libya_under_Muammar_Gaddafi)

He went against the West, but sounds as though he did a lot of good for the Libyan people. Free education, medical care, electricity, $50k upon getting married to buy a house, etc.

December 7th, 2015, 00:34
The same old same old, let's show our power and remove the tyrant, without any comprehension of the likelihood of what will probably follow.Sykes-Picot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes%E2%80%93Picot_Agreement) all over again, do you think?

arsenal
December 7th, 2015, 08:55
Smiles: You are right about it being interesting. Most of us can only imagine the horrors of living in those countries.