PDA

View Full Version : Phone

bing
June 29th, 2006, 08:43
I post this with the knowledge many of you are happy with your phone system. I found this in Budget Travel-- Rick Steves of TV travel shows says it is the best phone system he knows of. Don't know if he has a financial interest in the company or not. I sure don't, but pass this on as something the visitors to Pattaya may find useful. There is no monthly charge, you pay by your credit card only for calls made. If intested go to www.mobal.com (http://www.mobal.com)

The phone cost is $49.00 for a Motorola C117 and works in 140 countries including Thailand, this does not include USA.

There is also a Siemens A-70 for $99.00 that does include USA. This one works in 160 countries.

The sims card does not wear out as you use it in any country you go, and have the same phone number. If interested as stated above go to www.mobal.com (http://www.mobal.com)

The cost per minute is high but if you use it only on trips, you don't have to worry about sims card wearing out or monthly charges. You only pay for calls made and received. So if you use it on vacations only a few times a year. This could be the most inexpensive way to do it, and not get beat up with monthly charges. If you go to other destinations, it could save you a bundle.

Hope this is helpful. I just got the Siemens A-70. I'll let you know in the future if it is all that it is hyped to be. In the USA it will be handy to have in car for emergency calls. Again the no monthly charges are the big selling point.

June 29th, 2006, 23:57
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the phone. I travel to Thailand two or three times a year and also travel in Europe and Egypt so one mobile that I could just take with me everywhere and use straight away is an atractive idea.

Jon

June 30th, 2006, 00:04
Its a good idea for vital calls and if you travel to many countries, but did you check the per minute rates? Over the top. If you talk alot, it would be cheaper to buy a used phone and SIM card, at least in Thailand, just for one trip!

yaraboy
June 30th, 2006, 00:10
Rates are very high and not much different than on my normal GSM phone which can be used in most countries I visit........still way cheaper to buy SIM card in places like Thailand and Lao