PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok half-marathon runners outraged by their extra 7km

lonelywombat
November 17th, 2015, 10:14
Bangkok half-marathon runners outraged by their extra 7km
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/bangk ... 133ba6e3c6 (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/bangkok-halfmarathon-runners-outraged-by-their-extra-7km-after-organisers-misplace-a-uturn/news-story/68ebe77fcb146802c1b9b9133ba6e3c6)
YOU know that feeling when itтАЩs like youтАЩve been running far longer than your watch suggests?

Well, this feeling turned out to be accurate for BangkokтАЩs half-marathon runners on the weekend, after they unknowingly huffed and puffed through a whopping 7km more than theyтАЩd anticipated.

Yep, BangkokтАЩs half-marathon has accidentally become the worldтАЩs longest after clumsy race organisers managed to extend the route by 30 per cent.

And the runners who signed up for the race have unleashed on social media, angry at the surprise news that they lugged their way through ThailandтАЩs humid heat for 28km instead of the 21km they had trained for.

Organisers are now trying extend an olive branch for their bungle by offering to send participants a specially-made T-shirt acknowledging the тАШbonusтАЩ kilometres тАФ but this peace offering has offended many.

Race officials say the blooper occurred because participants of the Standard Chartered Bangkok half-marathon were directed to chuck a U-ey at the wrong spot.

Captain Swing
November 17th, 2015, 12:40
Just the title of this post made me laugh out loud, and the story itself made me laugh even harder. Thanks, I needed that.

Smiles
November 17th, 2015, 14:01
Hilarious and only-in-Thailand, plus lots of TiT's.
LonelyWombat has come up with some pretty esoteric and oddly invigorating URL's lately. The old dear ...

[PS ... now - once again - I will be accused of being a raging drug addict one more time, as LW finds it impossible to distinguish between an out and out compliment and a couple of lines of coke. B-) ]

christianpfc
November 17th, 2015, 14:25
Quiet amusing.
"chuck a U-ey at the wrong spot" is what English for "misplace a U-turn"?

Some complained of тАЬphysical and mentalтАЭ injury developing as a result of the prolonged run, including unreasonably sore legs and blood blisters under toenails.
Hilarious!

Smiles
November 17th, 2015, 14:32
... Quiet amusing ...
As is . . . 'Quiet[ly] amusing'.

One's gotta love Thailand. Remember the white paper doves the Thai Air Force flooded the southern provinces with during one quite violent Islamic naughtiness. 'Just to calm them down saith the General in charge. The whole caper came to know as 'WhitePaperDovesGate'

In the USA the aggrieved and sweaty runners would have launched a class action lawsuit immediately.
I know this because my friend Bob in Chiang Mai would have been in there like a dirty shirt.

Doug
November 17th, 2015, 16:44
Did the Thais have to run the extra distance or is this just another example of farang must give more?

christianpfc
November 18th, 2015, 23:59
I meant "quite amusing".

Smiles
November 19th, 2015, 08:50
I meant "quite amusing".
Geee, no kidding ...

lego
November 22nd, 2015, 21:26
It's definitely a luxury problem to have, so the amount of sympathy that goes out to those affected from me is quite limited.