View Full Version : A few bits'n'bobs from a recent Pattaya/Thailand visit.

newalaan2
November 7th, 2015, 04:14
Well, a very odd Pattaya trip this time with regard to how busy various bars were, and how one day/night could be so very different in terms of numbers than the previous or next. As usual in the rainy season, which wasn't THAT rainy, if rain came early evening it put off punters from getting out to the bars...but where do they go? stay in for the evening? when all you need is an umbrella, in fact if you get caught while out in sunee all the bars I visited offered the use of umbrellas. Our favourite waiter in Double Shot even offering his poncho and a ride on his bike to BT and watchai at different times.

I don't usually pay much attention to customer mumbers, but with crazy pub/Krazy dragon closed coming up that soi makes you consider how busy the area really is. But some nights I found it surprisingly busy up at the light/busy end. As always low season numbers quiet some nights, but the busy nights let you see what is possible or potential. Just before I arrived, there had been a special night where all the sunee bars get together (end of Sept) to promote the area and by all accounts that had been very well attended and was a success, again showing that when making an effort the numbers are there. But as ever high season will be the yardstick of where sunee is at.

Certainly Cononial was busy early evening most nights, and heaving on 'kitchen nights' mon/wed/fri/sun. Had food there couple nights by accident as I didn't know in advance what was on, and enjoyed some very tasty western fare for small money. Huge helpings if you so wished and many did. I had delicious sausage/mash one night.....something I haven't eaten at home for years, and it will probably be the last for a while but it was very satisfying, I got the bill Bt175 and advised the waiter I had a drink too, but that included a beer, so the food was Bt125, and the beer Bt50 a real bargain! ridiculously cheap (certainly for a visitor). Warwick has a great bar there. it's always full in the front terrace early evenings when I was on the go and the 'kitchen nights deservedly very popular. warwick is mostly on hand for a chat, and local info updates and by all accounts the rooms there are doing very well even in low-ish season.

On the subject of eaterie bars around sunee, once again thoroughly enjoyed my stops in by Ouds Caf├й, with the inimitable Oud acting as cook and cabaret! had one of his famous sandwiches one night which was thick with filling, great side salad and French fries as well...far too much for me, and the coffee there is excellent to. Met up with couple waiters from there, gai and friend at the Morlam Night at the old Xyte and had great night.

Some nights, especially when raining or a hint of rain the bars certainly suffered, yet on the dry nights the likes of Allofme would be very busy, Diamond Bar would be almost full, the bar next to it and euro boys bar steady, but I also noticed Rainbow bar which is a 2 unit size across from Sunny Boys was very popular during the evening and especially late on, plenty of german customers as well as other nationalities.

Sunny Boys was a bit of a disappointment compared to my previous trip, even though there were a few very cute twinks, there were man-boys as well but very few customers compared to before. Apparently the Thai owner won't hire non-thai lads as it requires a hefty police donation as the owner not prepared to shell out. However he/she may need to or might decide to change closer to high season when income might justify it.

Nice boys was busy when I visited with a good range of lads mostly man-boys but 4-5 gay lads in the mix, one night there was a party of some kind and no seats to squeeze into so had to pass. Sky Bar up at the 'busy end' was steady most nights, with Duks a favourite watering hole, and really good fun and laugh. Tee and all the staff do make an effort to entertain, all for small money. Double shot was the usual famine or feast with regard to customers, and was closed a couple times outwith the usual sunday, but I did notice the owner sitting at other sunee bars enjoying drinks with lads there. One night went with bf (a change of scene for him as he only comes with me to sunee 2-3 nights on a trip) and we were sitting with one of the waiters we like, there were 2-3 customers apart from us, and the owner declared it was time to get things going rang the 'free drinks' bell and insisted we all have drinks, well he told our waiter to make sure we had two sets of doubles, as well as beers and sent over new additions to the range of Smirnoff/red bull cans to try, I avoid red bull and all 'energy' style drinks but took a couple sips and gave the rest to the waiter who already had a couple of his own, so for the price of a vodka and a Heineken we were well on our way to staggering-ville. I always thought the beers there were Bt140 same as the double shots there as I never usually check the tab, but bf was taking care and noted the beers are Bt100 which is ok.

Not much change in BT from trip to trip, BzBzBz always busy inside and on terrace. Only one trip to Funny Boys which to be honest was a bit boring, Toyboys as ever good range of guys available, over on Pattayaland Soi 1 have noted less twinks in some of the bars, Dreamboys had mostly man-boy types with only a couple of twinks, Cupidol plenty of lads on stage but few customers, Kawakii boys had plenty of cute twink types for a change, also dropped in by Vassa for the first time in a while, previously known for twink-types to find it twink-less only 5 guys here all more man-boy types.

Enjoyed the Clubs as usual. Had 3 nights at NAB, busy on every visit. One Saturday night we went at 12.30am, quite early for NAB and still lucky to get decent table, that night I was bored with whisky and beer from previous nights, one of our friends had 3/4 bottle of Vodka which he took with him and that was a nice change in the club, we still had bottle of red for bf and couple friends, it cost Bt300 for Vodka 'corkage' and they put a small pourer into the bottle for easy serving. NAB popular with us as it's the easiest to get to/from south pattaya.

Two nights at Tamnanissan, and once again they were my favourite nights, bf not too keen 'apparently' as living in Khon Kaen area claims he get enough of Issan style music and food, yet 5 minutes in the door and the first glass from the beer tower and he is up dancing, then face in the menu to place an order. Food here is excellent, bf said all dishes were easily as good as back home. Four of us demolished 7 dishes including one plate of French fries apparently for me, yet I only managed to secure about 6 chips before the others 'helped' me. Can't remember how much the bill was but not big money for a great night out. Good mix of customers, a few farang, females and men, but overwhelmingly tables of gay lads. Trip to toilet there past/though all the tables still a very interesting and rewarding experience.

We tend to mix the late night club stuff between NAB, Tamnanissan and Walking Street, where 808 club, Walking St Pub, a couple of the rock music bars and ZAB Issan bar are all included in a walking street bar crawl. One night also attended the Morlam night, not on 3rd Road as normal, but a second night on the old Xyte grounds. This was a great night too, bf was knackered so I headed there myself and met up with Gai from Ouds bar and a couple friends visiting from Bfs village. But I could easily had gone by myself and had tons of company. The crowd was mostly gay lads and katoey, in groups drinking all matter of alcoholic drinks. Invites all over place to join for drinks. Some very cute lads not working on the pattaya bar/massage scene. Beer on sale at Bt50 per small can, cant remember how much for large beer bottles, Bt140 entrance fee for all, outside had big car park which was full.....so many non-drinkers what a surprise! with toilets at far side (stamp on wrist for pass-outs) but most males just take a piss inside at the side of the arena. Lavish costumes and show, great entertainment including comedy stints. Even if you don't understand or don't care for Issan music, it is well worth a visit just for the experience. As usual took songtaew taxi from and to Tukcom for Bt120 each way irrespective of how many passengers, MUCH safer (in my view) than risking motocy taxi, especially on way back at 2am!

Wat Chai eateries still in my opinion one of the easiest places to get a late night hook up. Always packed with bar boys and friends, many a little boozy and so more confident to approach, on they night after Morlam when I was on my own heading back to Mosaik I had numerous 'where you go?' 'we can go together?' 'you alone?' approaches in the space of 20 minutes.

A bit rushed and have spell-checked best I can. I mentioned accommodation at Mosaik and East Suites on a separate thread, I have had a few questions about both places and happy to update any queries. On Colonial, I did get a chat with a british farang staying there on holiday and he spoke very highly of the rooms, especially that the one he had was very spacious. Also Colonial has side entrance as well as access through the bar if you want a bit of discretion.

latintopxxx
November 7th, 2015, 13:24
mega thanks for the update...can hardly wait until Jan when Im there...

Smiles
November 7th, 2015, 19:54
Nice juicy narrative Newalaan, as always. I look forward to these wanderings through the bowels of Pattaya/Jomtien ... so much so that I think I'll print it out next time I show up town and carry it around under my arm, lIke a bible.
Stanely looking for Livingston.

francois
November 7th, 2015, 23:23
Wat Chai eateries still in my opinion one of the easiest places to get a late night hook up. Always packed with bar boys and friends, many a little boozy and so more confident to approach, on they night after Morlam when I was on my own heading back to Mosaik I had numerous 'where you go?' 'we can go together?' 'you alone?' approaches in the space of 20 minutes.

Good report newalaan2. I like walking the Wat Chai Night Market just for fun. As you say, always something there to check out. All it takes is a glance, a wink and a nod! Except, for me, by midnight am mau too much for any real fun.

newalaan2
November 8th, 2015, 06:18
Jomtien
There ya go! in my rush completely forgot about start of trip in Jomtien! Thoroughly enjoyed short 3 night stay at start of trip there. As already mentioned stayed at East Suites, nice and central to everything. A few changes around Jomtien since my last trip in June. Couple new bars expanding an already pretty full Jomtien Complex. Last visit Pour House was closed and being renovated, those upgrades finished along with change of ownership to Ganymede. Usually just 2-3 regular staff at old Pour House, but Ganymede version had the place brightened up and more staff, about 8 each night I was there. Busier with customers then previous too. Eager lads staffing here keen to interact.

Needed all 3 nights to get round all the bars now as there are so many. Pink Cocktail Van no longer there, replaced by Lets Enjoy bar. Also couple new bars further down the soi called Your Bar and another @Home, ran by former Soi Twilight, Bkk guys. The bossman said he knew me from there, I couldn't place him, but he knew some of the guys I have known in Soi Twilight for years so nice to see new ventures being set up in Jomtien. All the bars seemed to have plenty of staff, a couple having way more staff than I thought would have been necessary. But good numbers of customers also.

Although boys in the bars are keen to interact they are not pushy, any of the boys who did approach, asked if they could sit and not offended if I wasn't interested. The vibe is more laid-back like sunee, with boys delighted if bottle opened or drinks bought and respond with great banter/entertainment.

One thing I've noticed about Jomtien and sunee, is when you have been a regular for a few years and get to know staff the drinks often seem way too strong. A few times I had to get Vod-coke topped up with more coke and ice as they were very strong, no wonder I was half-cut by midnight here.

The sort of visit at start of trip eases me back into Thai atmosphere, can walk round by the beach and plenty of places to sit and chill on way back to the Complex. Also plenty eaterie choices. Later in my trip I was surprised to hear Bondi was closed, right enough when I visited things were not as usual compared to the last few years there. Previously either Colin or Malcolm were always in the bar at some stage, over the 3 days I didn't see either of them which was unusual, the guy who makes up the food orders seemed to be in charge, nevertheless their sandwiches and snack foods were as usual. But it will be a miss, always enjoyed late afternoon stop there.

Went to the Venue show, which was reasonably well attended for so late on...after 11pm, and decent show (which is ok if you leave a decent gap between visits). Dolce Vita had good attendance for their weekly buffet. The whole place felt less low-season than sunee and BT.

Just a quick recommendation for Pattaya Limo again. They picked me up from Airport and as usual were there 30 mins ahead of time, their cars always big saloons like Toyota Camray, always have bottles of water sitting in the back for you, even had Fortuner 4x4's on trips. Used them again later in trip from Mosaik to Tarntawan, again very comfortable and reasonable speeds not more than 120kph. Airport to Jomtien Bt1200 inc tolls, Pattaya to downtown Bangkok Silom/Suriwong Bt1500.

Also for a change rather than drive at start of trip both ways to Issan and back, decided to fly up to Khon Kaen where bf met me at airport. Flew with Airasia from Don Muang. Usually I book stuff well in advance, at least couple of months, but we made a late decision about flying up, and the cost was about the same as 2-3 months earlier when I first checked them out, Bt1,100 one way plus extra for more luggage. 40 minutes from D'Varee Silom to airport. Don Muang is caotic nowadays with so many domestic flights. But I was able to check in couple weeks before and que's for baggage drop went down very quickly. Flight time about 50 minutes, felt like no time at all. Easy flight despite the thunderstorms at that time of year.

A few nights in bf's Issan village then slow drive back to Bkk with plenty of stops on way via Khon Kaen, Korat, Saraburi. Noted on this trip that it was the first time we didn't see any police check points either side of Korat. Bf said Army had cut back police unauthorised stops to get tea money. But for how long? ha.

Overnight in Navanakorn on Bangkok outskirts not far from Ayutthaya as is usual, catching up with long-time friends who work for the multinational firms there. This time we went back to an outdoor restaurant, a huge courtyard right in the middle of a very busy Navanakorn town centre. From the outside you wouldn't know it was there, surrounded by small side streets and huge car park behind walled enclosure, and then you just come upon this huge open courtyard full of large tables, place was packed, I was the only farang. At top end live 6-piece band playing thai and occasional western tunes with requests encouraged. There are roofed areas surrounding the main courtyard, but on a lovely cool (for Thailand) evening it was great to eat outside under the stars. Large beers only as in Issan, and great food menu, had my favourite Moo-Geramin (German style smoked pork on the bone) with tender chunks of pork falling off the bone, it is a dish always found in the big beer pubs like Tawan Daeng, and SengJan. Bf and friend had fish, shellfish, papaya salad, and all excellent, Kaopat koong, (prawn fried rice) was especially delicious. Many company workers come here in larger numbers together, many tables set up for 12. The servers and staff right on-the-ball here, food comes quickly, drinks topped up quickly, excellent service. As time progresses you can hear the tables around get louder as the drink takes hold. but not like the big pubs, no drunkenness but tons of laughter and smiles with great atmosphere.

Closed by 11-11.30pm. Then for many its on to late night pub or one of the many small karaokes surrounding the area with females available for the enjoyment of the male factory workers. We just headed back to the room with a few beers from the local Seven to catch up with all the happenings since last Thailand trip. Up and away reasonably early next morning to Pattaya. Easy drive on main motorway, only slow section was as you come into Pattaya Sukumvit Rd where the huge road works are going on. Stop outside Mosaik, luggage in, give pick-up keys to security guy with tip and car parked perfectly in very compact space outside Mosaik. I think that about covers everything.

Smiles
November 8th, 2015, 08:11
" ... Previously either Colin or Malcolm were always in the bar at some stage, over the 3 days I didn't see either of them which was unusual... "
This one's a bit dicey, and possibly a bit gossipy ... but according to scuttlebutt they have abandoned ship and are now lying low at Blackpool, or some such place.

all-good-things-must-come-end-farewell-bondi-t34514.html (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/all-good-things-must-come-end-farewell-bondi-t34514.html)

Unfortunately Gaybutton has sanitized the Bondi Story on his board ... i.e. he has washed that thread of anything which comes even close to being "not nice". Now there's just 2 posts of back-slapping and well-wishing.

Smiles
November 8th, 2015, 12:52
Oh dear ... I have done Gaybutton a diservice. Apologies to him, I jumped the gun. If I could I would edit my post above, but the time limit for doing that has passed.

The story on the Bondi boondoggle - insofar as anyone knows the full details - is within this link http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7465 . . . NOT the one mentioned in my post above.

anonone
November 9th, 2015, 04:37
Thanks for the update, Newalan. Very timely as I will be heading back to Patts next week.

Sooo looking forward to TNI, Ducs bar, Wat Chai after hours, and all the other highlights that you so eloquently described.

scottish-guy
November 9th, 2015, 06:20
.... now lying low at Blackpool...

Blackpool is certainly the place to do it - there's nowhere lower.

[attachment=0:29z8vqb7]blackpool.jpg[/attachment:29z8vqb7]

Gaybutton
November 9th, 2015, 07:43
I have done Gaybutton a diservice.
No, you were quite right. I did post a 'sanitized' - very sanitized - version of what happened. I have my reasons for having done it that way, but believe me - I have no sympathy for the owners. My sympathies are for the staff and the customers who will miss it. However, I'm sure sooner or later someone will come along and take it over. I just hope they run it right.

Smiles
November 9th, 2015, 13:46
.... now lying low at Blackpool...
Blackpool is certainly the place to do it - there's nowhere lower.
[attachment=0:1nt74sic]blackpool.jpg[/attachment:1nt74sic]
Looks like Pattaya's walking street to me. The only one in that photo is that of the guy walking away from the camera, and is truly distressing.
The ghost of Neal perhaps?

thaiguest
November 10th, 2015, 23:36
I have done Gaybutton a diservice.[/qte]
No, you were quite right. I did post a 'sanitized' - very sanitized - version of what happened. I have my reasons for having done it that way, but believe me - I have no sympathy for the owners. My sympathies are for the staff and the customers who will miss it. However, I'm sure sooner or later someone will come along and take it over. I just hope they run it right.
I would always feel sorry for staff in situations like this particularly in these straitened times UNLESS the staff contributed to the closure. I know of quite a few places that were brought to ruin by management and staff during my time here.

newalaan2
November 11th, 2015, 06:05
Thanks for the update, Newalan. Very timely as I will be heading back to Patts next week. Sooo looking forward to TNI, Ducs bar, Wat Chai after hours, and all the other highlights that you so eloquently described.
I enjoy visits to NAB and the other late night venues, but like Hollywood sometimes the club DJs play their own personal music tastes like the hiphop style stuff which is just one long same beat for an hour, and that can be a bit boring even for some of the younger Thais, but with TNI it doesn't matter what time of night/day you are there it is wall-to-wall fun and entertainment, be it what's happening on stage or what the other customers are up to! The good thing about the likes of Duks is, if the evening is quiet around it doesn't take much to get the Duk's staff going and you can have a great time there irrespective of what's happening in other bars.

I've a bit longer to wait until next visit in January, so have yourself a great time when you get there!

I have done Gaybutton a diservice. Apologies to him
A diservice?....As if! By his own admission you were right the first time.

No, you were quite right. I did post a 'sanitized' - very sanitized - version of what happened. I have my reasons for having done it that way, but believe me - I have no sympathy for the owners. My sympathies are for the staff and the customers who will miss it
Believe you? why should we? you have given absolutely no indication why there should be no sympathy for the owners. Yet you make announcements not only on your own blog but here too in language which condemns the owners but without a single word to justify it. Unless you are prepared to back things up with something of substance and containing some facts you're best position on it would have been to keep your big trap shut and say nothing at all or certainly until you are/were prepared to justify those comments at the same time you made them. The only good thing about your posting here is individuals can answer and challenge you without having their posts automatically deleted by you just because you don't like the response, or using it to exact petty revenge on anyone having the audacity to challenge or disagree with you.

I didn't know the Bondi owners personally........only as a passing customer over a number of years, but irrespective of whatever caused the closure, Bondi over those years was a very enjoyable place to visit and over that time and until it seems fairly recently appeared to be 'run right'. Are you saying that the Bondi has never been 'run right'?

frequentfliers
November 11th, 2015, 08:34
Believe you? why should we? you have given absolutely no indication why there should be no sympathy for the owners. Yet you make announcements not only on your own blog but here too in language which condemns the owners but without a single word to justify it. Unless you are prepared to back things up with something of substance and containing some facts you're best position on it would have been to keep your big trap shut and say nothing at all or certainly until you are/were prepared to justify those comments at the same time you made them. The only good thing about your posting here is individuals can answer and challenge you without having their posts automatically deleted by you just because you don't like the response, or using it to exact petty revenge on anyone having the audacity to challenge or disagree with you.

I didn't know the Bondi owners personally........only as a passing customer over a number of years, but irrespective of whatever caused the closure, Bondi over those years was a very enjoyable place to visit and over that time and until it seems fairly recently appeared to be 'run right'. Are you saying that the Bondi has never been 'run right'?
Random avatar
newalaan2

Totally agree with you on this.This is the same guy who informed us that the Venue was for sale and even had the sale price.

anonone
November 12th, 2015, 17:34
Thanks for the update, Newalan. Very timely as I will be heading back to Patts next week. Sooo looking forward to TNI, Ducs bar, Wat Chai after hours, and all the other highlights that you so eloquently described.
I enjoy visits to NAB and the other late night venues, but like Hollywood sometimes the club DJs play their own personal music tastes like the hiphop style stuff which is just one long same beat for an hour, and that can be a bit boring even for some of the younger Thais, but with TNI it doesn't matter what time of night/day you are there it is wall-to-wall fun and entertainment, be it what's happening on stage or what the other customers are up to! The good thing about the likes of Duks is, if the evening is quiet around it doesn't take much to get the Duk's staff going and you can have a great time there irrespective of what's happening in other bars.

I've a bit longer to wait until next visit in January, so have yourself a great time when you get there!

It has been a long time since we have visited any of the other late night clubs. TNI is such a guaranteed fun time, and less expensive by a big margin, that it just always wins out. Also amazing how many former "friends" happen to be around and get the chance to get re-acquainted with. :D

Agree about Ducs. It has become our home base, replacing the sadly-closed Crazy Pub. Staff can always make things entertaining. Also really enjoy that they play only Thai music instead of the Western stuff. Actually feels more like I am on holiday, as opposed to sitting in some random bar back in the states.

I might be back in January as well, at least for a short visit. Perhaps we will run into each other at either Ducs or TNI.
Thanks again for the detailed update.
Cheers.

Daniel-old
November 12th, 2015, 20:08
In his post, Gaybutton asks that you believe he has no sympathy. He is not asking you to believe that his lack sympathy is justified; if that were the case, then it would be reasonable to ask for the justification.