View Full Version : Thai's complaining of the lack of tourist.

bucknaway
November 4th, 2015, 02:47
When I was in thailand, many of my Thai friends were containing about the lack of Taurus as many of my friends have work related to the tourist industry. I felt bad telling them that Thailand is becoming expensive.

Explain to them that with the spread of smartphones and the Internet the value of things are easy to compare to what they will be charged in their home country and it is often found that goods Entertainment is much more expensive in Thailand then it may be in their home country or another country.

I told them that many are trying other countries.

Am I mistaken? Is it the nightlife prices that are scary many of the red light district tourist away?

oldfarang
November 4th, 2015, 03:51
Many tourists stop coming, due to the bad, badder and baddest image Thailand has gotten over the years.

This is some what a "natural" consequence, because overtime all gets more expensive, but the service gets worse (not only in the paid sex department, but overall).
The second (and third) generation of farangs is now coming, but due to internet and more knowledge and other countries offering the same (as Thailand was 10-20+ years ago - the good old days, as we oldies like to say) the new generations of farangs don't stick to Thailand, just visit a few days and move on to other Asian countries (and afterwards maybe never come Thailand again).
Thailand has gotten a lot more UN-Safe over the years. 10-20+ years ago I felt safe walking anywhere around, not anymore.
Thais in tourist area's have made to clear that we are just a walking ATM to be taken advantage of (always was like that, but not obvious as it is now).

Besides these 4 reason, I am sure there are more, depends who you ask.

Long story short, Thailand has had it's best time and will always be a holiday/expat destination, but never as before.
Since Thailand is not ready (for many many many years) for the real high class tourists, which they say daily/weekly they want, they will have to do with horny fuckers, Chinese and Russians.

It is easy to say the Thais fucked it up themselves, but no, it is a natural process.
Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam are nice alternatives, even Philippines is not to bad.

Yraen
November 4th, 2015, 03:55
Dear Buck.

Did you proof-read this before you sent it? It would seem not.
Unless you enunciate very clearly, these voice-to-print dictation gadgets are very unreliable. :-o

latintopxxx
November 4th, 2015, 04:27
nah...from a pure sex tourist viewpoint it is still the best value for money/quality one can find. Some places do come close like Brazil....but Thailand is definitely safer/easier/cheaper.
If I throw clubbing into the mix then Brazil comes out tops, brilliant gay clubs with gorgeous gogo dancers/strippers....but if its sex one is after then Thailand is still tops.
To date have not felt unsafe walking the streets...even staggering home after 3am.

bucknaway
November 4th, 2015, 06:46
Sorry about the dictation......

Latin, I will let you know what I find in Mexico after my employer sends me there for a week or two in January or February. I was hoping to visit Brazil or the Dominican Republic but with this trip to Mexico I think I will be over my desire to visit a Latin country. It will be all work but I will depend on grindr and jacked to make my nights fun.

November 4th, 2015, 07:53
I assumed it was a story about Taurus the Bull (Buffalo)

latintopxxx
November 4th, 2015, 10:12
old farang, think u r being a bit harsh on the thais....not all in the tourist area see farangs as walking ATMs.

dinagam
November 4th, 2015, 12:20
Some Thais are simply wonderful. They talk, walk, & even sleep with their walking ATMs.

a447
November 4th, 2015, 12:52
My regular in Pattaya and they guys at Eros always complain about the lack of tourists. I basically repeat what Bucky and old farang said: many tourists have now discovered sex in neighbouring countries and choose to go there instead. Many don't come back. I found many of the guys on those countries just as ruthless when it comes to squeezing every last dollar out of me - Mr Bubblebutt in Phnom Pehn immediately springs to mind - but somehow they do it with a little more....um...finesse.

Drinks in Thailand are a lot more expensive, but I don't drink all that much so it doesn't bother me. And the tips the guys want seem fair and reasonable to me, given the higher cost of living in Thailand.

Overall, Thailand is still very cheap, except when bars charge 450 baht for a drink when they don't have a show.

Oliver
November 4th, 2015, 15:03
The problem is that as the number of gay falangs in Boyztown and Sunee decreases - and this has been a continuous process for a number of years- it creates its own vicious circle. The less vibrant these places become, the fewer falangs will go.

I was there two weeks ago, as I always am in September/ October. There were times when I found the experience depressing, despite the ministrations of my Tee-rak. The workers looked fed-up; the bars all but deserted. I don't bother with bars very much now but there were a few occasions when he went to bed early and I wanted to revisit the "good old days" by spending thirty minutes in a go go bar. The highest number of punters I found was six. Often, when I looked in, there were none at all. You know the scene....a guy outside will welcome you, open the door with a flourish and clap his hands to wake-up the dancers who'd been sitting around morosely in a deserted bar. Yes; depressing.

cdnmatt
November 4th, 2015, 17:56
Thailand has gotten a lot more UN-Safe over the years. 10-20+ years ago I felt safe walking anywhere around, not anymore.

Come up where I am. Never felt safer. Even in downtown Vancouver, which is about as safe as you can get in this world, I still feel safer walking around here at night.

Thais in tourist area's have made to clear that we are just a walking ATM to be taken advantage of (always was like that, but not obvious as it is now).

Come on up to Khon Kaen, and you'll get a totally different experience. Instead of them looking at you as an ATM, they won't look at you at all. When chatting with them on apps like Grindr / Hornet, if you bring up the question of money, they'll feel quite insulted and cut off the chat. Many times, I've asked what they're looking for (in Thai) -- "Looking for fun? Money? Boyfriend? Friend? Or what?". That simple mention of money many times doesn't go very well, lol. Sometimes it works, but more than often it doesn't.

firecat69
November 4th, 2015, 18:55
nah...from a pure sex tourist viewpoint it is still the best value for money/quality one can find. Some places do come close like Brazil....but Thailand is definitely safer/easier/cheaper.
If I throw clubbing into the mix then Brazil comes out tops, brilliant gay clubs with gorgeous gogo dancers/strippers....but if its sex one is after then Thailand is still tops.
To date have not felt unsafe walking the streets...even staggering home after 3am.

I hate agreeing with Latin on anything but on this he is Spot ON!

Forky123
November 4th, 2015, 20:54
I really can't say I feel unsafe here at all. Unless you are speaking about the state of the pavements and trying to cross the roads, which can be a bit unsafe. Walking through Pattaya or Bangkok I regularly go down streets I'd definitely think twice about if I were at home. I've certainly felt much more unsafe in any number of cities around Europe and the U.S than I do here.

egel
November 5th, 2015, 01:08
Its nothing about feeling unsafe or the perceived increase in costs...
Its.....
Airport sit in
Tsunami
Floods
Riots and shootings in BKK
Curfew
Scams

Few are acts of nature,the remainder are controllable by the Thais

Some Falangs don't forget a fucked up holiday quickly.

latintopxxx
November 5th, 2015, 01:38
egel...I suggest u do fully guided tours of disney land...I can assure you niothing will go wrong.
Forthe rest of us...a little excitement thrown in for free is welcome.

colmx
November 5th, 2015, 02:39
As others have pointed out, Thailand is one of the safest feeling places that i have ever visited

I am a night owl and rarely home before 5am any night... most of the time i walk home to the apartment that we rent at MyView Condo
Most unsafe thing for me is the guys that i bump into in a 7-11 that try to tempt me to bring them home with me!

latintopxxx
November 5th, 2015, 07:29
...he probably means its not safe as he cant navigate the broken paving on his zimmer frame...

cdnmatt
November 5th, 2015, 10:01
Thinking about safety, I don't ever close my doors during the day. Both, front and back doors are open from about 7am - 10pm every day, and if I head into town for a few hours or anything, I never lock up. Granted, I do have two healthy 30kg dogs who will defend their home with their lives, so they act as a pretty good deterrent to would-be thieves, but nonetheless, never had a problem.

I couldn't imagine leaving my doors wide open like that in other parts of the world.

Now letting people know where I live is another story. I'm pretty cautious about that one.

goji
November 6th, 2015, 04:10
Are tourist numbers really down, or is it some loser complaining to you about the lack of business he is picking up?
I suspect total visitor numbers are a long way ahead of 10 years ago.

Secondly, if the Junta pull dumb stunts like downsizing beach concessions and closing the beach on Wednesdays, this will put off some tourists.

Finally, as for the safety, I think Thailand is fine. I feel perfectly safe walking around any slums in Bangkok, which is more than I can say for some other parts of the world.

latintopxxx
November 6th, 2015, 09:29
from a gay perspective something has definitely changed in the last 10 years. Soi twilight in BKK used to be real busy, every gogo bar had a fuck show at 10.30 qith a second around midnight. Bars were full. Doi was full. Strangely enough the night clubs are still busy and so is soi 4 (balcony/telephone bar).
I can only put it down to the availability of quality cheap sex on the net. No need to buy inflated drinks, tip everyone in sight and pay, off fees.
I dont mind paying 300/400 bht for a drink if there is talent on the stage and they put on a good x-rated show.....but even that is hard to come by in BKK; most times I feel like jumping onto the stage and show them hows its supposed to be done!!

dinagam
November 6th, 2015, 09:51
I was almost stunned when I first saw the acrobatic sexual acts on trapeze at X-boys Soi Twilight several years ago. How talented & imaginative.
Recently one of the older waiters advised me to go next door for better value at the massage shops. After reading some positive comments from patrons of massage shops in Soi Twilight, I might just take his suggestion.
However, I still enjoy looking at the boys on stage for an hour or so, with or without show. The more boys the better:-)

Smiles
November 6th, 2015, 15:36
" ...most times I feel like jumping onto the stage and show them hows its supposed to be done!! ... "
I might pay to see that.

PS ... I'd be sitting right beside the old dude in the Wombat getup and no underwear.

Nirish guy
November 6th, 2015, 16:08
with a torch :-)

latintopxxx
November 7th, 2015, 01:13
well you'd get more bang for your baht...I'm no 5 minute wonder...my fuse is real long.

oldfarang
November 7th, 2015, 05:55
old farang, think u r being a bit harsh on the thais....not all in the tourist area see farangs as walking ATMs.

Come up where I am. Never felt safer. Even in downtown Vancouver, which is about as safe as you can get in this world, I still feel safer walking around here at night.

Come on up to Khon Kaen, and you'll get a totally different experience. Instead of them looking at you as an ATM, they won't look at you at all. When chatting with them on apps like Grindr / Hornet, if you bring up the question of money, they'll feel quite insulted and cut off the chat. Many times, I've asked what they're looking for (in Thai) -- "Looking for fun? Money? Boyfriend? Friend? Or what?". That simple mention of money many times doesn't go very well, lol. Sometimes it works, but more than often it doesn't.

latin and matt,

If you would have read my previous posts, you would understand that I do not bother with the tourist area's anymore, and why the freaking FFFF would I want to go to Canada at my age.
I now live in Pattaya for some months after 30+ years long holidays and 1 longterm BF (read my previous/first introduction posts).

I have been the farang going shopping for numbers "Mamsan, number 27 very sexy, new boy?" Overtime the freaking MS's (=MamSan's) probably cost me more than the sexy boys.

I don't do the bar area's anymore.In th few months I live here now, I have met 4-5 lovely sexy 20-25 yo lads, damn wish I knew then (20-30 years ago) what I know now.
There is NO love, NO attachment. Just entertain and some extra entertainment will come my way, free of charge and FREE of their choice, not obligations.
A lot more fun then sitting in a GoGo and looking at $eyes.

I live in the real Thailand, thanks to my dead boyfriends family, who have taken me in and show me the real Thailand/Pattaya, YES Pattaya also has a REAL Thailand.

Thank you and God Bless.

latintopxxx
November 7th, 2015, 13:15
oldfarang...would love to read more about your experiences. Do u seriously mean that u dont pay fpr sex...in ni way, manner or form??? And that the family of your late partner look after you and expect no recomponse...u dont pay for housing/water/power...etc...

Brad the Impala
November 7th, 2015, 19:16
Amazing concept isn't it Latin? Some people can actually be appreciated for who they are rather than how much or how little they pay! Don't anticipate it would ever apply to you.

svyturys
November 10th, 2015, 04:17
I spent 3 weeks this August travelling the country and, I must say, the only place that I fell was not busy was Pattaya. Koh Pi Pi was packed with 20 - something Westerners drinking and shagging, Krabi was fairly busy too and so was Bangkok. Pattaya, on the other hand, seemed quiet. There were lots of Westerners, but bars on Walking street and the gay scene had only a handful of customers. Boyztown was literally dead. In fact, everywhere staff outnumbered customers. How do they make a living, I can only guess. It must be the internet and the apps. In comparison, BKK non-commercial gay scene seemed to be thriving: Soi 4 bars were full, so were a couple of gay bars for Thais in Silom. Not to mention DJ Station that is packed like a tin of sardines on weekends.
I'm sure go go bars will remain, but there will be far fewer of them. These bars seem to be dying with their clients.
I visited several countries in the region and, overall, Thailand felt so much busier than others. It is still getting the biggest chunk of tourists coming to SE Asia. But the country must accept that there are other alternatives and they can't take they status - as a magnet for tourist - for granted. And why not to explore other regions. I don't really understand people that only goes to the same country when there is such a large choice.

oldfarang
November 10th, 2015, 06:11
oldfarang...would love to read more about your experiences. Do u seriously mean that u dont pay fpr sex...in ni way, manner or form??? And that the family of your late partner look after you and expect no recomponse...u dont pay for housing/water/power...etc...

OH, Mr. Latin Dutch,

I understand you are considered here a Cheap Charlie, well my congrats. The less you spend on the hookers the better it is.

I was a big spender in my time, especially the first 10 holidays or so, before I learned.
My holidays got a lot cheaper after that, but that might even be before you time.

I see prices here on this forum going for short and long term, which is over night, maybe morning sex is was to drunk (he or me) to do anything, but the only thing extra is sleep (make sure all valuables are looked up.)

Anyway I have not had a GoGo or bar lad for more then 7, almost 8 years.

Before that I never paid more then 500 baht (well maybe 540 for taxi), but I guess they where cheaper then, since now it seems to have doubled or even tripled.

To answer your question, my late BF family takes care of me in a friendship/family matter. I live alone, not to far away. The younger lady 24, comes and clean everything twice a week.
2-3 times a week, we (me and family (maybe 2-3-4-5) varies) go out for a meal and maybe a drink, well drink is mostly with the 2 brothers, the women are boring when it comes to alcohol.

We always go to real Thai venues, they drive (I can drink). For some reason they always seems to SOMETIMES attract a nice youngman.

Don't ask me why, maybe they pay him secretly(crossed my mind, they got they money).

Honestly, I am to old to care, I am here to live out my last years(maybe even decade(s), who knows).

Anymore questions let me know.

PS. I am glad kommie did not remember me, but is haunted by Buckie

November 10th, 2015, 11:48
PS. I am glad kommie did not remember me, but is haunted by BuckieYou flatter yourself if you think you're worthy of my attention. However, say or do something inane (Bucky's speciality) and you'll soon show up on my radar. You seem quite content with your life and the care that your Thai in-laws take of you; good luck to you

francois
November 10th, 2015, 16:38
You flatter yourself if you think you're worthy of my attention.

Isn't that a bit smug of you, kommentariat? Judging from your numerous put-downs it would seem many of our members attract your attention and your barbs.

November 11th, 2015, 13:44
]You flatter yourself if you think you're worthy of my attention.
Isn't that a bit smug of you, kommentariat? Judging from your numerous put-downs it would seem many of our members attract your attention and your barbs.
Always be kind to old people francois, there's a good chance you'll be one yourself some day - unless of course they're behaving foolishly in which case you say something like "Hurry up grandad". A friend of mine in his seventies uses that particular phrase to great effect, especially to someone slightly younger who's behaving like a twat

oldfarang
November 13th, 2015, 01:22
Always be kind to old people, there's a good chance you'll be one yourself some day.

Sorry Kommie, just shortened your reply to the basics you are saying. Since you always want to be nice to old people, like me, almost 71 (old enough I hope), I can get away with anything I want, without you doing your daily thing on this forum, which is finding gaps and shit on other members, your favorite past time. Sorry you haven't got anything better to do with you your time all day. H├й, it's your life.

OK wrong topic, kommentariat, letters name game,

I hate the K, because most good English words start with a c (sounds like K), thank God for Google, =))

Keen On Many Messages Explaining Nothing, Therefore A Real Idiot Abandoning Truth

Damn that was a good one. I am sure many here agree with that one.
Remember Kommie, I am an OLD GUY, so be kind =))

November 13th, 2015, 05:36
Always be kind to old people, there's a good chance you'll be one yourself some day.

Sorry Kommie, just shortened your reply to the basics you are saying. Since you always want to be nice to old people, like me, almost 71 (old enough I hope), I can get away with anything I want, without you doing your daily thing on this forum, which is finding gaps and shit on other members, your favorite past time. Sorry you haven't got anything better to do with you your time all day. H├й, it's your life.

OK wrong topic, kommentariat, letters name game,

I hate the K, because most good English words start with a c (sounds like K), thank God for Google, =))

Keen On Many Messages Explaining Nothing, Therefore A Real Idiot Abandoning Truth

Damn that was a good one. I am sure many here agree with that one.
Remember Kommie, I am an OLD GUY, so be kind =))
How sad that someone who's only 70 describes himself as "old" a clear lack of self respect

November 13th, 2015, 06:08
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 31711.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/police-share-tea-with-elderly-couple-who-rang-999-because-they-are-lonely-a6731711.html)

That,oldfarang is what is meant by "old". I thought you were at least 85

Marsilius
November 18th, 2015, 21:42
Its nothing about feeling unsafe or the perceived increase in costs...
Its.....
Airport sit in
Tsunami
Floods
Riots and shootings in BKK
Curfew
Scams

Few are acts of nature,the remainder are controllable by the Thais

Some Falangs don't forget a fucked up holiday quickly.

Some very good and true points in that list... And there's one more factor worth mentioning, as a result of which several of my friends and I have not visited Thailand - specifically Pattata - since January 2014, after previously visiting at least twice annually every year since 1993.

The Russian invasion! What a boorish, uncouth, impolite, aggressive lot many of them were as the influx of budget tourists built up. No idea of good manners, self-control, accommodating the needs of others (even something as basic as moving along the seats to create space in the bus). The Russians spoiled the Pattata experience for us and we moved on elsewhere.

I've since heard reports that the number of Russian tourists has diminished - any truth in that? If so, Pattata may get back on our list of possible destinations in 2016.

cdnmatt
November 18th, 2015, 21:58
especially to someone slightly younger who's behaving like a twat

You mean like this?

[youtube:1qg66umw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TnZdiyxXEg[/youtube:1qg66umw]

bruce_nyc
November 25th, 2015, 01:42
I agree with Latin and others. Thailand is by far the best and cheapest and safest place to go for sex..... in the whole world. I've traveled around to many countries looking for something even remotely comparable. It doesn't exist. It's either nonexistant, or it's crazy expensive *and* nowhere near a good.

For those who think, "Thailand is getting expensive".... Sorry. You're from another universe. Try Malawi.

The decline in numbers of customers in the sex bars has more to do with Hornet and Grindr than with anything else. Ever since you could download any musix

GWMinUS
November 25th, 2015, 09:04
I blocked Kommen a long time ago.
Wish you guys would not humor him by re-posting his stupid dribble.

bruce_nyc
November 25th, 2015, 16:23
Wow. I see that I totally fell asleep while posting that last message.... @-)

fountainhall
November 27th, 2015, 12:22
I've since heard reports that the number of Russian tourists has diminished - any truth in that? If so, Pattata may get back on our list of possible destinations in 2016.

Not sure of the latest figures, but arrivals from Russia were down by 46% in January. The rouble's crash has certainly had a major affect on arrivals. Both TG and Cathay Pacific have cancelled their services to/from Moscow.

cdnmatt
November 27th, 2015, 18:16
Don't forget, the middle class here has expanded greatly in the past couple decades. Before (from what I've read) the entire NE population was poor as dirt, but it's not like that now. Sure, a lot of people are on a tight budget and everything, but nobody is going hungry or unclothed. In the villages it's a little different, but in the city at least, everyone seems happy and healthy, the younger folk in their 20s are all educated, know English, have ambitions, etc.

30 years ago, I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that up here, hence the (reported) decline of Thai boys in the bars, and hence the decline in tourism as a whole. Just one of many aspects of course.

christianpfc
November 28th, 2015, 08:51
In the villages it's a little different, but in the city at least, everyone seems happy and healthy, the younger folk in their 20s are all educated, know English, have ambitions, etc.
You must be living in a different country than I (I'm in Thailand).

cdnmatt
November 28th, 2015, 09:16
So you don't believe the middle class has expanded greatly here in the past 20 years?

I don't know about you, but all I ever see is nice brand new vehicles driving around, everyone seems happy and healthy, well clothed, etc. This isn't exactly an impovershied African nation, which it probably seemed like it was 30 years ago. I'm not saying everyone's rich, but they're fine, and earn enough to put food on the table without having to sell their bodies.

Example -- just 20 years ago there were ox / buffalo carts running around the streets here. Now, there's obviously been some massive government funding in infrastructure, because just in the past few months tons of roads have been newly paved, renovated, etc.

Without question, society has systemically improved here over the last couple decades, and doesn't seem to be slowing down any, hence less Thai hookers. They have to import them from Laos and Cambodia now, from the sounds of things.

fountainhall
November 28th, 2015, 10:08
Without question, society has systemically improved here over the last couple decades, and doesn't seem to be slowing down any, hence less Thai hookers. They have to import them from Laos and Cambodia now, from the sounds of things.

Let's not forget either that between 1987 and 1996 Thailand was the fastest growing economy in the world with average growth rates of 10%. I met several Thai guys in the early 1990s who had once worked in gogo bars but who then were buying and selling properties quickly and making really big bucks.

Then everything came crashing down in July 1997. But that recession mostly hit large businesses and individuals who had borrowed heavily in overseas currencies to avoid high Thai interest rates. Some of the wealth which had earlier been created must have spread into the provinces where not everyone was affected.

November 28th, 2015, 14:07
Don't forget ... the younger folk in their 20s are all educated ...

On 27 May 2015, the Ministry of Public Health released Thai student IQ survey results. They indicate that the IQ of Grade 1 students has dropped from 94 in 2011 to 93. The international standard is 100.[9]

It is highly possible that Thailand's education system is harming student IQs. While the IQ of pre-school students is acceptable, IQ drops as primary schooling commences, suggesting a need for changes at schools. The IQ of students in rural areas is considerably lower, at just 89. This difference persists at university. While studies have found the IQ of Bangkok university students averages 115, the IQ of provincial university students is 5-8 points lower.[9]

Alarmingly, the low IQ levels in the recent survey confirm continuing high levels of intellectual disability: IQ levels lower than 70, also termed "mildly impaired or delayed". The average global percentage of such students is 2%. However, a previous 2011 survey found that 6.5% of Thai students scored in this range. The recent results suggest intellectual disability in some rural areas could now be up to 10%.[9]

One cause of lower IQs might be traced to nutrition. WHO research suggests iodine deficiency accounts for losses of between 10тАУ15 IQ points. However, according to ThailandтАЩs 2012 Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey, only 71% of Thai households consume enough iodised salt, falling to 54% in the poorest households. There is again a huge regional disparity, with 82% of households in Bangkok and only 54% of households in Thailand's northeast consuming adequately iodised salt. The regions with the lowest IQs are those same areas with the highest iodine deficiency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Thailand

Oliver
December 1st, 2015, 14:17
I see that the junta isn't quite so sanguine about Thailand's prospects. Censoring a US newspaper seems a rather hysterical step take.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... lank-space (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/01/thai-printer-international-new-york-times-blank-space)

cdnmatt
December 1st, 2015, 16:57
Yeah, the junta seems a little hard lined. Apparently, they even have their eye on John Oliver, lol

[youtube:1rh4g3aq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNwSO_99q_c[/youtube:1rh4g3aq]

fountainhall
December 3rd, 2015, 09:36
I see that the junta isn't quite so sanguine about Thailand's prospects. Censoring a US newspaper seems a rather hysterical step take

Strictly speaking the Thai government did not censor the International edition of the New York Times - the Thai publisher did. Self-censorship in other words, and it's not the first time that organ has done it. On the other hand, publishing a large blank section on the front page has almost certainly ensured far more global coverage of the content. So who shot whom in the foot, I wonder?

bruce_nyc
December 3rd, 2015, 10:45
Exactly.

If I were wanting to bring to the attention of the world.... the censorship, etc that's going on..... I can't think of any better way to highlight it and spotlight it..... than to print a big blank white area where an article was obviously censored out.

Also, I don't think we can assume that it was a case of self-censorship. We don't know what private conversations took place. Maybe they were forced to "self-censor" it.... and to deny being forced to do it.

bruce_nyc
December 3rd, 2015, 11:09
Now that "the Russian invasion" seems to be over.... I wish there was a way that Pattaya could market itself to the world.... as the "great sex for very little money paradise" that it is.... Or maybe someone else could market it as such....

One big problem is that..... both..... the Thai government *and* the Western government have a big problem with anyone -- especially a business -- advertising or promoting any sex for pay destination.

The Thai government doesn't want that reputation.

The Western government wants to prosecute it under the guise and screwed up logic that, "If it's illegal here, then it's illegal to promote it elsewhere.... anywhere. "

You can say that it *should* be legal. But you can't go around telling people that it *is* legal ( or accepted ) anywhere else.... and encourage people to go there.

......at least not as a business. ....not as a tour company or something.

However...... There is still a little free speech left. Journalists seem to still get away with talking about just about anything they want to talk about.

I think the Pattaya Business Guild ( if there were one ) should hire a great PR firm to hire independent journalists and bloggers from all over the world to write "independent" articles about how wonderful the sex-for-very-little-money holiday in Pattaya is.... ;)

The West probably won't muzzle the free press online ( just yet ), and Thailand can't block *every* web site on earth.... ( besides, the intended readers aren't in thailand anyway ).

I think horny men --- gay and straight --- would flock to Pattaya by the millions.... if they knew about what it has to offer..

francois
December 3rd, 2015, 11:36
Everyone knows what Thailand is about and it is not about the Temples and the pleasant weather. Any sex advertising plan would have the opposite effect and kill the pleasure industry.

Jellybean
December 3rd, 2015, 12:33
You know what they say, be careful what you wish for. We hear many complaints on the forum about the lack of customers in the bars these days. Well, I can tell you there is something worse . . . too many customers and not enough boys!

My final experience of visiting a host bar in Hua Hin, two or three years ago, was a major disappointment. I arrived to find two bar staff behind the bar and one boy sitting with a customer. From memory I think there were another four fa-r├аng customers in the bar, and all were considerably younger than me. Gulp! Well, there was clearly little point in me hanging around as I had no hope of taking a boy home that night. So, given the choice, IтАЩd much rather go into a bar with fewer customers, but enough to keep the bars running, and a choice of bar-boys. But maybe thatтАЩs just me being selfish. :p

latintopxxx
December 3rd, 2015, 17:14
wouldnt that be funny, a shotage of Thai ass!! Guess the market would correct itself by raising the price of ass which in turn would lead to more guys entering the trade. Problem solved.

dinagam
December 4th, 2015, 09:23
As to fear of any shortage of Thai bar boys, there will always be boys from Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos , Vietnam, etc working in Thailand, if you're not being too particular about nationality.

fountainhall
December 4th, 2015, 09:47
As to fear of any shortage of Thai bar boys, there will always be boys from Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos , Vietnam, etc working in Thailand, if you're not being too particular about nationality.

That process is well under way in many of the Bangkok bars - even the beer bars. Most of the cuter guys seem to be non-Thais now.

loke
December 5th, 2015, 00:52
Don't forget, the middle class here has expanded greatly in the past couple decades. Before (from what I've read) the entire NE population was poor as dirt, but it's not like that now. Sure, a lot of people are on a tight budget and everything, but nobody is going hungry or unclothed. In the villages it's a little different, but in the city at least, everyone seems happy and healthy, the younger folk in their 20s are all educated, know English, have ambitions, etc.

30 years ago, I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that up here, hence the (reported) decline of Thai boys in the bars, and hence the decline in tourism as a whole. Just one of many aspects of course.

I think you are wrong , big difference from 20 years ago perhaps, but the people in BKK are mostly poor , living below the middle class standard , and they do not speak English . Bangkok is a big city , if you only hang around the Silom area you might get that impression perhaps.

cdnmatt
December 5th, 2015, 03:26
Even fountainhill pointed out how many of the cute prostitutes in Thailand these days are non-Thai. I see the same type of thing up here, in the city at least. People willing to go for money are few and far between.

There's a reason for that. Remember, minimum wage got a 33% increase a few years ago during the Yingluck government. That extra money spreads itself out to everyone else -- from the guy selling pork at the market, to a small mom & pop shop. Again, not saying everyone is rich, but economic conditions have definitely improved in the past couple decades. I definitely don't see anyone going hungry.

And again, villages are a different story. That's where they do things like go for a family trip into the jungle to collect bamboo, so they have some extra food.

December 5th, 2015, 04:36
There's a reason for that. Remember, minimum wage got a 33% increase a few years ago during the Yingluck government. That extra money spreads itself out to everyone else -- from the guy selling pork at the market, to a small mom & pop shop. Again, not saying everyone is rich, but economic conditions have definitely improved in the past couple decades. I definitely don't see anyone going hungry.

And again, villages are a different story. That's where they do things like go for a family trip into the jungle to collect bamboo, so they have some extra food.
As an antidote for Matt's panglossian view of Thailand (does he really live there?) I recommend the Coconuts Bangkok (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/) site. Here's a recent story about the tough economic conditions the Thais are facing (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/25/drought-holds-back-thailands-retail-store-expansion) (there have been others about street food vendors living day-to-day, for example).

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 17:04
Matt, if boys where you are..... are not willing to go have sex for money..... I can think of a very logical explanation for that....

ALL the boys and girls willing to work in the sex-for-money profession, already know that there are not enough customers "out there" where you are... to make a living. So they've already left long ago to go work in Pattaya and/or Bangkok.

Anyone who is willing to be a sex-worker knows.... that you MUST go to Pattaya or Bangkok.... if you hope to make any sort of living at all.

Pattaya and Bangkok are still full of *tons* of Thai boys and girls who are *thrilled* for you to choose them..... so they can give you all the sex you want.... for a song.

Of course, you're right, there is a trend....

While.... even in the Shan regions of Myanmar.... and in Vientiane, Laos..... and in Cambodia.... almost all the boys know that they must go to Pattaya or Bangkok to make money.

More and more *Thai* boys are going to Singapore, on a tourist visa, to work as sexworkers there... and make 5 times more...

Meanwhile, boys from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia are still taking the bus to get to Pattaya... And Thai boys are still coming from Isaan to Pattaya and Bangkok to work in the sex trade too...

People who never leave Boyztown might be accused of having a biased perspective... But people who rarely ever go to Boyztown also could be accused of having the *opposite* biased perspective.