PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Hotel Jomtien - Gay Friendly?

fountainhall
June 28th, 2006, 12:51
Anyone stayed here since it opened a few months back? Any problem with overnight guests? It's a perfect location for the gay beach. Internet rates are about same as the Rabbit further along, but looks 5 star - and the Rabbit charges 700Bt extra for overnighters.

DeHaro-old
June 28th, 2006, 15:39
I heard from Thais that the Avalon is packed with Russians. No thanks.

June 28th, 2006, 16:34
Stayed there with my long time b/f at a concessionary rate about three weeks after it opened. The place was still having teething problems and the restaurant in particular was not up to acceptable standard of service (but that may now have improved). I had enquired in person earlier, before booking, that bringing b/f would not be a problem and was told that as long as he was over 18 it would be OK. One night receptionist gave me the third degree about my companion until I said that he was a registered guest. Joining fees were never mentioned however I would not be at all surprised if they were charged...they even have a 500 THB a night surcharge when staying over the Songkran period !!
You should note also that they charge 3.5% on top of the bill when paying by credit card...for this reason alone I would not stay there again. As stated, stayed at concessionary introductory rate but taking everything into account I think the room rates are on the high side for what is on offer.

fountainhall
June 28th, 2006, 19:06
Thanks everyone - no way will I stay there.

bkkguy
June 28th, 2006, 21:38
and the Rabbit charges 700Bt extra for overnighters.

no they don't according to the last discussion here - try search

bkkguy

June 29th, 2006, 08:31
Rabbit no longer charges for joiners. They changed their policy almost a year ago.
Avalon seems a bit sterile for my tastes. I like the "bungalow" ambiance of Rabbit and the owner Deb is very friendly.
Just stayed there for 2900 bhat. Best rate I found was from Thaihotels.com

June 29th, 2006, 08:53
You should note also that they charge 3.5% on top of the bill when paying by credit cardThat is such a common practice in Thailand and, increasingly, other places that it's hardly worth remarking

June 29th, 2006, 09:56
You should note also that they charge 3.5% on top of the bill when paying by credit cardThat is such a common practice in Thailand and, increasingly, other places that it's hardly worth remarking

Yep, I know that some of the smaller businesses and particularly travel agencies make a charge for credit card use but this is the first time I have heard of a hotel doing it. Out of principle I refuse to do business with any organisation that uses this extortion...usually I just walk out but was caught out this time after a three day stay at Avalon. I will make sure to ask other hotels in future before I book or take up residence.

June 29th, 2006, 10:01
Out of principle I refuse to do business with any organisation that uses this extortionAnd it is "extortion" that you expect them to discount their prices by 3.5% because you use a credit card whereas someone who pays cash or travellers cheque gives the business the full whack? I'd have thought you are the extortionist. As I said, a number of countries now allow the credit card merchants' fee to be passed on to the consumer by the vendor

June 29th, 2006, 10:11
Out of principle I refuse to do business with any organisation that uses this extortionAnd it is "extortion" that you expect them to discount their prices by 3.5% because you use a credit card whereas someone who pays cash or travellers cheque gives the business the full whack? I'd have thought you are the extortionist.

I do not expect them to discount their prices - they will have already factored in the 3.5% in their set price anyway...I have been reliably told this by a Thai bank official. They just try it on with what they consider to be ignorant Falangs in the hope that the Falang will adopt a mae pen rai attitude and put it down to this being Thailand !!!!!

June 29th, 2006, 10:29
they will have already factored in the 3.5% in their set price anyway...I have been reliably told this by a Thai bank officialOh dear, you've got me laughing in the aisles here. A bank official - any bank official - can know "reliably" how every business has arrived at its pricing!? Oh dear me. I'm in business in Thailand and I can tell you - reliably - my bank hasn't the faintest idea how I determine my prices

And you still haven't addressed the "this isn't just Thailand" issue. The USA and Australia, to name just two OECD countries, allow for the merchant fee to be passed on to the consumer in one form or another. In the US this takes the form of a "convenience fee"; in Australia it's a credit card surcharge. The Reserve Bank of Australia took Visa and Mastercard to court to prove that the practice is entirely legal - and won. Companies such as the largest telecoms provider and the largest airline routinely add the surcharge for credit card payments

fountainhall
June 29th, 2006, 10:32
Rabbit was charging Bt. 700 for overnighters just 2 months ago. I think short timers are OK, but overnight is definitely charged.

June 29th, 2006, 10:46
[And you still haven't addressed the "this isn't just Thailand" issue. The USA and Australia, to name just two OECD countries, allow for the merchant fee to be passed on to the consumer in one form or another. In the US this takes the form of a "convenience fee"; in Australia it's a credit card surcharge. The Reserve Bank of Australia took Visa and Mastercard to court to prove that the practice is entirely legal - and won. Companies such as the largest telecoms provider and the largest airline routinely add the surcharge for credit card payments

I fully acknowledge that the practice is legal (maybe my mention of extortion gave the impression that I thought it not legal) ... but that doesn't make it ethical or right.
Pay the charge if you wish but please allow me or the many others who refuse to be ripped off (this has been the subject of a lot of press comment in the UK) to exercise our right not to do business with such companies.
With the almost universal use of credit cards in the Western world most businesses allow for credit card use (and absorb the merchants fee) when considering what price they charge for the service or goods...those who pay by cash or other means are the unfortunate ones who pay the merchant fee without using a credit card and without their knowledge !!

June 29th, 2006, 10:59
With the almost universal use of credit cards in the Western world most businesses allow for credit card use (and absorb the merchants fee) when considering what price they charge for the service or goodsWrong again. Those businesses are not permitted in their agreements with the credit card providers to on-charge the merchant fee. They have no choice in the matter. This is so as to encourage credit card use and thereby revenue for the credit card providers. It was this restrictive trade practice that the Reserve Bank of Australia challenged in court. Other central banks haven't taken such a courageous stand. Its effect is to penalise those who pay by cash. You rarely see "discount for cash" signs in Britain by those who take payment via credit card - and for the same reason. Their merchant agreement with the credit card providers doesn't let them offer it

Marsilius
June 29th, 2006, 11:14
A business needs to make the commercial decision as to whether accepting credit cards will bring in sufficient extra business (and profit and economies of scale) to compensate for the fee it pays to the card issuing company. Most businesses decide it will, but I guess a hotel that is always full can afford to decide not to accept cards at all (though that will not be a practical proposition for a large hotel hotel with many guests on package tours not bringing sufficient cash with them) or to charge the supplement.

Customers often prefer to use a card because of the financial protection it offers - especially refunds from the credit card company if anything is untoward, but whether it is worth the extra charge imposed by some suppliers is debatable.

June 29th, 2006, 15:39
With the almost universal use of credit cards in the Western world most businesses allow for credit card use (and absorb the merchants fee) when considering what price they charge for the service or goodsWrong again. Those businesses are not permitted in their agreements with the credit card providers to on-charge the merchant fee. They have no choice in the matter.

I can assure you that on-charging is a fact of life and is a common practise in business whatever you may read or believe, it is just no-one talks about it and would certainly not admit to it, especially to their credit card company. If you believe otherwise you are foolish and naive in the extreme.

Absolutely my last post on the subject...but no dubt you will come back with the last word as seems to be your want !!!!!!!!!!!!

gearguy
June 29th, 2006, 19:59
I own a store in the US and I can say that the merchant card agreement does not permit a surcharge to be added when paying by credit card; but I can not find any statement in the agreement with the merchant bank I use which prohibits a discount for cash. Policies in other countries may be different.

It is also not permitted to have a minimum sale amount for use of the card but this is pretty common practice and I've not heard any merchant punished for requiring a min. of $10 or more for a credit card purchase. But I guess if a customer complained to the bank then there might be a problem. It's pretty frustrating to take a card for a $2 sale, knowing that 35 to 40 cents of the profit goes to the bank.

The fees can be very high and to top it off, if a customer uses a card with perks, guess who helps fund that perk? That's right the merchant. The fee charged on a sale on a "gold" card or an card with points or miles, or whatever perk, is higher to the merchant than a regular card. Like wise for business cards as well.

Fees include a per transaction fee (I even pay this on a refund!) and a percent of the sale. Amex is the most expensive and averages around 3.5-4% of the sale to the bank.

Different merchant banks have different fee scehdules, some with a higher per transaction, lower % of sale, etc and I have looked at 4-5 different plans over the years and ran the numbers. At the end of the day, pretty much the same costs no matter how they structure it. I guess if you knew you're credit sales were always high $$ value, you can find a plan which worked better than others.

Debit cards are better for a merchant to accept than credit cards. The fees are typically lower and the card-holder has less rights to challenge the sale than with a credit card. The assumption is I guess that if you had the card and entered the pin (and the card was not stolen) you knew what you were buying.

June 29th, 2006, 20:39
Absolutely my last post on the subject...but no dubt you will come back with the last word as seems to be your want !!!!!!!!!!!!Wont, surely - http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wont

Don't get me wrong - I think it's wonderful that you and your chums can get all hoity-toity on this issue. Feeling morally superior is such an ego-booster - as cottager can attest

June 29th, 2006, 20:53
..........I can say that the merchant card agreement does not permit a surcharge to be added when paying by credit card; but I can not find any statement in the agreement with the merchant bank I use which prohibits a discount for cash............

Thanks, exactly my point. In other words merchants who add a surcharge for credit card use are ripping off their customers.

June 30th, 2006, 07:47
Absolutely my last post on the subject ... merchants who add a surcharge for credit card use are ripping off their customers.
http://upload4.postimage.org/508230/conveniencefee.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/508230/photo_hosting.html)

The therapeutic value of feeling morally superior? Priceless. For the rest, there's Mastercard