PDA

View Full Version : Security Theatre

bkkguy
October 19th, 2015, 19:53
When are the MRT, BTS and major shopping centers going to give up on the charade that is currently being enacted at their entrances?

Walking people through scanners then ignoring any alarms and waving a torch vaguely in the direction of a bag (usually without even bothering to look in) does absolutely nothing to increase security or public safety, it is just an inconvenience and a waste of time and money!

Paragon security staff seem to agree - when it is busy at the weekends and the entrances are crowded they just move the barriers aside and let half the people walk in unscanned and bags unchecked.

bkkguy

cdnmatt
October 19th, 2015, 20:15
I have to agree. We have those guys here at Central too. Gives me a chuckle, because generally the only time I go to Central is for groceries, because that's where I get all my imported stuff. I always take a duffel bag with me, because I have no need for 3000 plastic bags, and don't like throwing them in the garbage.

I walk in and out of the metal detectors without problem. Sometimes it'll go off if I have change or keys or something in one of the side pockets, but they just wave me through with a smile. Well, that is if there's anyone actually manning the station at that time.

I'm assuming it's just the same as things like the TSA in the US. Just some politicians giving their business buddies some contracts.

October 20th, 2015, 02:52
How long have you lived in Asia? Surely you know by now that in any contest between form and substance, form beats substance hands down?! That's what "face" is all about.

Oliver
October 20th, 2015, 11:32
The baggage checks at Central are, quite rightly, ignored.
What troubles me is the presence of G4S operatives. This is a huge UK/Danish firm that is involved in human rights abuses across the world and is quite, rightly, under investigation for its activities in the Middle East. Google "G4S" and see what sort of "security" they provide for racists, child abusers and thugs. And how much money they make from their criminal activities. What the hell they are doing here is beyond me....though come to think of it...

October 20th, 2015, 13:23
What troubles me ...I knew it wouldn't be long before the fruit loops turned up. It's quite easy to find out, Oliver - http://www.g4s.co.th/en-TH/ - even Google will help you

Oliver
October 20th, 2015, 13:45
Odd....the website doesn't mention the torture and child abuse. I wonder why? This is why G4S has lost so many of its contracts.

a447
October 20th, 2015, 15:53
I walked past the Erawan Shrine earlier this month and counted 12 police on duty sitting in a tent set up next to the entrance.

They were all playing on their mobile phones.