PDA

View Full Version : Quiet bars

Old git
October 19th, 2015, 12:12
I've been out of the loop for a while and now suffer from a form of tinnitus that makes loud music quite intolerable.

Can anybody recommend some bars that are well stocked with nice young lads where they don't feel the need for a satanic sound system?

francois
October 19th, 2015, 13:52
Where in Thailand? Bangkok, Pattaya, etc, etc. As for bars, are you interested in beer/host bars or go-go clubs?

Unfortunately even if one bar is quiet, the one next to it can be extremely loud and obnoxious.

Old git
October 19th, 2015, 16:27
"Where in Thailand? Bangkok, Pattaya, etc, etc. "

- I'm quite easy on that front - can travel..

"As for bars, are you interested in beer/host bars or go-go clubs?"

- I can live without go-go bars and oiled up dancers, but would prefer a bar where the guys have their shirts off..

Smiles
October 19th, 2015, 16:49
Mr old git ... please check your PM Inbox.

francois
October 19th, 2015, 17:39
"Where in Thailand? Bangkok, Pattaya, etc, etc. "

- I'm quite easy on that front - can travel..

"As for bars, are you interested in beer/host bars or go-go clubs?"

- I can live without go-go bars and oiled up dancers, but would prefer a bar where the guys have their shirts off..

Since your specs are too general or vague I can only offer negative responses. I know of no shirtless host bar in Sunee Plaza, Pattaya either quiet or noisy. There are some quiet bars but doubt they are well stocked with young lads. However next time around the Plaza will keep my eyes and ears open.

Furthermore what are your intentions with the lads? Just to chat and have a drink? Hold, hug, grope, kiss, cuddle, off them, etc? Or just look and lust? A lot will also depend on your willingness to buy a drink and give a tip.

On second thought, there is Good Boys in Sunee Plaza if you prefer the rougher type of lad. I don't recall any loud music directly from there and the boys are sometimes shirtless.

Old git
October 19th, 2015, 18:39
"Furthermore what are your intentions with the lads? Just to chat and have a drink? Hold, hug, grope, kiss, cuddle, off them, etc? Or just look and lust? A lot will also depend on your willingness to buy a drink and give a tip."

Depends on how much I fancy them.. I've always paid attention to reputation management when it comes to tips and drinks, and enjoy the close friendly company of good eye candy. If a guy really appeals to me I might take him ST to explore his lunchbox, but rarely back to my room.

Thanks for the tip for Sunee Plaza - have made a note..

Smiles - thanks for your PM

francois
October 20th, 2015, 00:09
For sure no quiet bars in Boyztown/Pattayaland area in Pattaya that meet your criteria. There may be some bars in Jomtien Complex, Pattaya, but will leave that to others with more experience than I.

Oliver
October 20th, 2015, 11:39
I note that the two noisiest bars in Boyztown , Copa and particularly Cafe Royale, barely attract double figures between them on an average night. Perhaps building walls to protect the sois from the noise may help? The three host bars, on the other hand, where music is tolerable, were reasonably busy last night, while BBB with its old- fashioned notions about four-walled rooms is, allegedly , doing well.
A word to the wise.

christianpfc
October 20th, 2015, 16:17
I take earplugs when I go to bars or discos (rarely need them in bars, but often in discos).

Oliver
October 20th, 2015, 18:40
Wise. I bought the best ear plugs available and they have an ensured a good night's rest this time.
Of course, it's not just the music but the ladyboy screams that follow the their closure.
I recall that Funnyboys, until recent changes, was the most popular of the gogo bars without shows....one of its USPs was that the music was kept to a reasonable level. Much appreciated by those of us over fifty!

Smiles
October 20th, 2015, 23:55
I take earplugs when I go to bars or discos (rarely need them in bars, but often in discos).
Ear plugs do NOT work at all if one has Tinnitus ... which is Old Git's hearing problem. They make no difference at all.

Nirish guy
October 21st, 2015, 01:02
Actually unfortunately sometimes the exact opposite is true in that wearing earplugs can have the reverse effect in that the earl plugs dull the outside noise source and so just serve to elevate the perceived volume of the tinnitus. This is som people, when their tinnitus is really kicking off go to bed with the radio on or if they're really with it download one of the many App's you can now get which play various background noises such as the sea or just white noise even, all on an inbuilt countdown timer, which if they're lucky helps them to "hopefully" get off to sleep.

I can say with absolute certainty that it was attending Thai ( and other) nightclubs without ear plugs that pushed my own hearing over the edge and has now resulted in me having permanent tinnitus and going a bit deaf, this started immediately I came out of a Thai club one night and has never stopped since and I remember the precise occasion it happened, so for all those that think "oh it might not look cool" - bugger that, you're hearing and NOT getting tinnitus is way more important - trust me on that :-(

scottish-guy
October 21st, 2015, 07:25
Since we are all piling in with our diagnoses and advice :)) - can I throw mine into the pot and point out it's not actually Old Git's tinnitus that is causing his intolerance of loud sounds at all - it's another condition called hyperacusis.

If it were just tinnitus, the loud noise would be welcome as it would mask the tinnitus to some extent (sometimes completely), but Old Git has the double whammy. You can have tinnitus alone, or hyperacusis alone - but they frequently occur together and that really IS a burden. Throw in hearing loss and you have a Full House - the tinnitus affecting and adding to the hearing loss - requiring sounds to be louder, but the hyperacusis reducing your tolerance to loud sounds!

Funnily enough (and this is from my own private research) tinnitus is not perceived at the point of orgasm! But don't just take my word for that............

Smiles
October 21st, 2015, 08:33
Wow, and here I was thinking that I was alone [though accompanied by Old Git] with my tinnitus. A most annoying affliction.
But now I see that everyone has got it. A disease de jour by the looks of it.

In the interest of science this morning I tested out Scottish Guy's theory regarding tinnitus and orgasms. Actually rather than being [i]not-perceived, it's just that it's ignored ... for more important matters of the moment.

francois
October 21st, 2015, 11:59
As others, suffer from tinnitus, possibly as a result of overuse of aspirin, or was it my reenactment of Dirty Harry with a .357 Magnum Colt Python w/o ear plugs?

christianpfc
October 21st, 2015, 12:02
I'm well aware that earplugs don't help against tinnitus (no personal experience, scientific reasoning).

...so for all those that think "oh it might not look cool" - bugger that, you're hearing and NOT getting tinnitus is way more important - trust me on that :-(
I came to the same conclusion, rather be "the guy with the ear plugs" than "the deaf guy".

Deaf and mute don't go hand in hand. Most deaf could physically speak, but they never learned to speak because they have no feedback from hearing.

Wearing earplugs does not hinder communication (by shouting at each other in a loud enviroment). The signal (what your chat partner is saying) to noise (music) ratio is the same, with or without earplugs.

October 21st, 2015, 13:15
Funnily enough (and this is from my own private research) tinnitus is not perceived at the point of orgasm! But don't just take my word for that............What does the sound of the bagpipes do for ye, laddie?

scottish-guy
October 21st, 2015, 15:32
As others, suffer from tinnitus, possibly as a result of overuse of aspirin.....

Asprin is known to cause temporary hearing loss - which ceases when you stop taking aspirin. There is very little reliable evidence (i.e.more than anecdotal) that it causes tinnitus - as the aspirin acts adversely on the hearing mechanism whereas tinnitus is NOT coming from your ears - it is just perceived by you as coming from your ears. The reason that many people may ascribe their tinnitus to Aspirin is because it depresses the hearing level and may therefore increase the perception of tinnitus.

The major fact to remember is that tinnitus actually comes from your brain, not your auditory system at all.

One of the more credible theories is that your brain manufactures the tinnitus noise (which varies greatly from person to person) as a stimulus in response to hearing loss where your brain is demanding a certain level of auditory excitement but is not getting it via your ears, so it invents its own noise to listen to.
Then, because the tinnitus noise cannot be explained by any environmental sound, your brain fixates on it. When your brain is sufficiently occupied with other actions, events, or noises, it concentrates less on the tinnitus noise - as in the case of orgasm when the tinnitus is not perceived at all (except by Smiles who apparently has the presence of mind during orgasm to ignore his tinnitus :)) )
However that theory does not explain tinnitus reported by normal hearing people - which is rare but is nevertheless reported (unless of course they originally had super normal hearing and have "deteriorated" to normal hearing levels).

Another theory is that we ALL have tinnitus - but normal hearing levels result in it not being perceived. When those hearing levels drop either temporarily or permanently, the tinnitus may be perceived.

Whatever the cause, there is still no cure and at this point in time Hearing Aids remain the most effective treatment for most permanent/constant tinnitus sufferers, as the amplified sound can help to mask the tinnitus. Plus the latest Hearing Aids have tinnitus sound therapy built into them which can often be programmed to match the users tinnitus frequency and volume, thus reducing it significantly in many cases. I'd recommend to search Professor Robert Sweetow on You Tube for info on the effectiveness of Hearing Aids in treating tinnitus. If you are fortunate enough to be able to ignore your tinnitus then you obviously don't need any intervention - but some people are acutely disturbed or even suicidal over tinnitus levels which often prevent sleep and concentration.

Getting back to Old Git, you might think that Hearing Aids would only make his hyperacusis worse (as they obviously amplify sound) - but the Hearing Aids can be programmed in such a way that when his hyperacusis level is established, the output of the aids would not exceed that - even if the enviromental sounds themselves exceed it. In other words the Hearing Aids would "reduce" the ambient noise to a more comfortable level.

Finally - ear plugs. What's best is not simple ear plugs which block all/most sound and make you feel you're underwater. What you should look for are filtered plugs which will take a certain number of decibels off loud music etc whilst still allowing you to listen or converse - typically 15/20/30 dB reduction depending on the filter used. These cost around ┬г30-50 a pair with interchangable filters. You can also get electronic versions which are like "reverse" hearing aids and allow you to turn down sound - but you're talking about several hundred pounds a pair.

latintopxxx
October 21st, 2015, 16:38
Lord....I'm soooooooo bored!!!!!!

scottish-guy
October 21st, 2015, 17:01
Yeah it must be boring to realise there's more to life than saving $5 on a fuck.

Old git
October 22nd, 2015, 14:03
I wasn't trying to launch a medical thread, but for the record, my own tinnitus is a constant high pitched tone that my brain shuts out most of the time, although it also shuts out some external noise at the same time, most notably the doorbell, which is irritating.

Put me into a place where there is very loud music and all I hear is noise, not music. I literally can't think, and get angry, which is not like me - it's a bit scary.

Earplugs would be pointless, because I never go into a bar to get drunk or to leer - I like to chat..

Anyway, although I've not been there for about ten years now I recall that the scene in Chiang Mai was relatively quiet. Googling the current gay venues suggests that they now congregate in a different part of town to that which I recall before - unless I'm reading the map wrong..

What's the score there now? I recall the guys there being rather nice, relaxed and gentle..

Up2U
October 22nd, 2015, 15:16
Years ago, there was a crackdown on noise in bars which was actually enforced by the police for several months. Music could not exceed certain decibels. Consequences of Bar noise should be taken seriously. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adele-san ... 32760.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adele-sandberg/turn-down-the-music-noise_b_8332760.html)

egel
October 24th, 2015, 03:56
Can anybody recommend some bars that are well stocked with nice young lads where they don't feel the need for a satanic sound system?
All of me, Forest House, Odds, Green Chairs, all in Sunee Plaza, close together, and fairly quiet. Nothing like indoor Gogo Bars.
Also maybe try the numerous Massage places near Tukcom. No music at all if you sit outside!

Oliver
October 25th, 2015, 16:20
There's been plenty of research in the UK concerning the effects of continued exposure to loud amplification on the hearing of regular clubbers as they reach middle-age. Even members of symphony orchestras who sit close to the brass section are said to suffer forms of hearing loss.
So spare a thought for the guys who dance night by night in front of powerful amplifiers and speakers , playing music which most of the punters in the bar cannot stand.....but at least have the option of leaving.

francois
October 25th, 2015, 17:54

As Egel mentioned, Green Chairs Bar in Sunee Plaza does not, in itself, have loud music, and there are a number of guys playing pool/snooker who are shirtless and offable who are free lancers.

PeterUK
October 26th, 2015, 09:51
Yeah it must be boring to realise there's more to life than saving $5 on a fuck.

There once was a mean sadist called Latin
Who looked liked something that had been shat in.
He'd say to a boy,
"It gives me great joy
To ride you all night for almost nuthin'."

October 26th, 2015, 13:48
There's been plenty of research in the UK concerning the effects of continued exposure to loud amplification on the hearing of regular clubbers as they reach middle-age. Even members of symphony orchestras who sit close to the brass section are said to suffer forms of hearing loss.I was particularly entertained, some years ago, to read that the then Australian Minister for the Environment was a notorious noise polluter as a member of a rock band

Australia seems to throw up these oddities - a friend tells me they have an intersex cabinet minister at the moment.

Smiles
October 26th, 2015, 15:15
a friend tells me they have an intersex cabinet minister at the moment.
OK, I'll bite: what the fuck is an "intersex"? (I was equally flummoxed when 'Metro Sexual' raised it's ugly head.)

I could Google it, I could make a flying guess, I could ask Latinproxx, I could just bloody-well forget it. But I'd rather you tell me, as I am intrigued when an old decrepit one-eyed analinguist** like you decides to talk about sex on any level.

(** .... Ain't English adjectiveisation just the most wonderful language-enhancer of all time? Internet message boards and rampant spelling mistakes being #2 and #3)

francois
October 26th, 2015, 16:59
I thought, first a typo, so did search for the meaning, and yes, it is a valid word describing a condition.

October 27th, 2015, 14:01
But I'd rather you tell me, as I am intrigued when an old decrepit one-eyed analinguist** like you decides to talk about sex on any level.Did you find my refugee and his questionnaire (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/you-been-trumped-t34269.html#p307106) interesting? Or hasn't he got around to you yet? I must say I'm disappointed that I'm not on your Foes list, or are you over your recent hissy fit?

Intersex refers to someone whose genitalia is ambiguous; nothing to do with sex, per se. Maybe you're thinking of interfemoral (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Interfemoral+Sex) sex?

Smiles
October 27th, 2015, 21:53
My Foe List is non existent, just so you know.
Think of it ... you are just like everyone else. Disappointing I'm sure.

October 28th, 2015, 02:21
My Foe List is non existent, just so you know.
Think of it ... you are just like everyone else. Disappointing I'm sure.
Clearly you're not a deep thinker Smiles. You treat me as equal to everyone else. That is not the same thing as whether I am equal to everyone else :D