PDA

View Full Version : Favorite NON GAY restaurants in Pattaya

June 28th, 2006, 04:18
Now, we all know about the gay spots, the good and the bad.
How about just regular good food restaurants, of all price ranges.
What are people's favorites?

My favorties so far include

Au Bon Coin, Soi 5 off Beach Road

Casa Pascal Moo 10, 2nd Rd (the high season brunch)

The Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant at the Montien Hotel Resort Pattaya, has some of the best dim sum in Thailand

The Thai seafood open air place all the way to the end of Jomtien beach road, on the left, just before the very end of the road (where there is another good Thai seafood restaurant)

Would love to hear others favorites, especially not so well known places.

June 28th, 2006, 05:18

THE NOOK ! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

June 28th, 2006, 05:21

THE NOOK ! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Well, thanks for that, but the topic was NON GAY, and not as well known places.
It is fair to say to people on this board, that the Nook is VERY well known.

June 28th, 2006, 05:29
Well, thanks for that, but the topic was NON GAY !

Tell me your undercover, how do lady boys get in NON GAY ? :bigsmurf:

June 28th, 2006, 05:36

I go wherever I like, dear, food doesn't have a sexual orientation.

June 28th, 2006, 05:45

If food haven't a sexual orientation wy you like NON GAY ? NON GAY looks like a sexual orientation ! :drunken:

June 28th, 2006, 05:47

If food haven't a sexual orientation wy you like NON GAY ? NON GAY looks like a sexual orientation ! :drunken:
Thats because the best food is often found in regular restaurants. Most restaurants do not identify. I feel we greatly limit our enjoyment by segregating ourselves only in gay oriented establishments. We should feel free to go ANYWHERE.

June 28th, 2006, 06:07
Thats because the best food is often found in regular restaurants.

I let it up to you " the best food is often found in regular restaurants ". But if you means a regular restaurant is NON GAY, you must be far from home , how you even think about GAY and NON GAY restaurants, for myself i never make the question if a restaurant is GAY , LESBIAN, MUSLIM or what ever .

We should feel free to go ANYWHERE.

We are free to go ANYWHERE !

June 28th, 2006, 06:33
[quote]Thats because the best food is often found in regular restaurants.

I let it up to you " the best food is often found in regular restaurants ". But if you means a regular restaurant is NON GAY, you must be far from home , how you even think about GAY and NON GAY restaurants, for myself i never make the question if a restaurant is GAY , LESBIAN, MUSLIM or what ever .

We should feel free to go ANYWHERE.

We are free to go ANYWHERE ![/quote:1d1f0c2r]
Well, then, where you live you must not have gay restaurants then. Or Muslim ones. Because, they do exist? And why do you want to hijack this thread anyway?

bing
June 28th, 2006, 06:35
Thaiquila--- you ask a good question,,,, Try the Royal Garden shopping Center--- All sorts of places -- I like the Japenese place (ZEN) ---they have nice chicken on stick and Sake... mmmm but there are lots of places to choose from.

June 28th, 2006, 07:24
And why do you want to hijack this thread anyway?

I tell you if we meet at the nook ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

June 28th, 2006, 07:29
Royal Garden? If you like plastic, shopping mall fast food developed by chemists rather than chefs, yes by all means.

Mi Cow Chai-old
June 28th, 2006, 08:59
I like Kaffa in Jomtien. Excellent Thai, great music, wounderfull setting. For Pizza I like Pan Pan. For great anbiance Cabbages and Condoms.

June 28th, 2006, 09:20
Where exactly is Kaffa?
Zen is just a Thai style middlebrow Japanese chain, nothing special.
I agree Pan Pan is nice, had a good calzone there, and they have great desserts.

Surfcrest
June 28th, 2006, 09:55
Royal Garden? If you like plastic, shopping mall fast food developed by chemists rather than chefs, yes by all means.

When I'm alone, one of my favorite places is the "charge card" food court on the upper level. There is a Thai stand on the very end that makes the best basil / seafood on rice. The juice bar / smoothie bar have much of the vitamin intake any guy needs. Each entrant is given a card that is charged for ever purchase made. You pay when you leave and I've never seen anyone tip. You order, take a number sign back to your table. The waiters bus the food and the tables. It's one of the best "fast-food" options going in Pattaya.

Another "Non-Gay" favorite of mine is Coca Hot Pot at Tops Mall (Central Road & Second Road) upstairs and under the bowling alley. If you look like you don't have a clue, they'll help you out. The combinations Veg/ Meat/Seafood are great for two. You just boil and then eat to taste.

Surfcrest

June 28th, 2006, 09:57
DELETED

June 28th, 2006, 10:04
Definitely agree with Cabbages and Condoms for atmosphere (and the crab meat in yellow curry)

Rerngthai (don't know how to spell this) for BBQ steaks and Thai classical music

Nong Nual in Jomtien for Thai-Chinese seafood and excellent prices on wine

The Scottish breakfast at the Continental Bakery

June 28th, 2006, 10:07
Yeah, I agree you can get some good Thai food in the fancy food court on top of Royal Garden. If you like it Thai style spicy, they don't believe you though, they serve too many spice phobic Russians, etc. Also, the pasta at that Italian place sucks unless you like spaghetti with sugar sauce.

June 28th, 2006, 10:39
One of my favourites is the Thai roadside place on Pattaya 2nd Road, between Pattayaland Soi 1 & 2. It's a great location for a meal before going to the bars, is incredibly cheap and also has an extremely good selection of tasty Thai tongue tantilisers. However, I know for a fact that the bar boys will not eat here unless they have the cash, they will walk aways and get cheaper food, but offer to buy them a meal and they'll choose to stop right here.

June 28th, 2006, 10:42
Yeah that place is alright and convenient the nightlife, but it isn't anywhere near the best non-royal style Thai in town.

June 28th, 2006, 11:10
the pasta at that Italian place sucks unless you like spaghetti with sugar sauce.

Anyone restaurant cook who makes sugary tomato sauce (or puts sweet dressing on a pizza) should be beaten over the head with a cudgel.

June 28th, 2006, 11:14
One of my favourites is the Thai roadside place on Pattaya 2nd Road, between Pattayaland Soi 1 & 2. It's a great location for a meal before going to the bars, is incredibly cheap and also has an extremely good selection of tasty Thai tongue tantilisers.

Mmmm -- or the night market near Day Night: Caww!

Market food (or 'street buffet' as my ex calls it) is one of the nicest ways to eat in most Asian countries. Singapore, Seoul, Taipei and Hong Kong come to mind immediately...

PeterUK
June 28th, 2006, 14:25
Maharani Indian restaurant at the Royal Cliff.
International buffet at the Montien, Saturday evening.
Mike's Mexican, Tappraya Road.
Chez George, Third Road (when I lapse from vegetarianism - hurry if you want to try the excellent food, he's planning to sell).
Valencia, Tepprasit Road.

June 28th, 2006, 14:45
Maharani Indian restaurant at the Royal Cliff.
International buffet at the Montien, Saturday evening.
Mike's Mexican, Tappraya Road.
Chez George, Third Road (when I lapse from vegetarianism - hurry if you want to try the excellent food, he's planning to sell).
Valencia, Tepprasit Road.
Hi Peter, well if you are from the UK I can't really trust you on your Mexican pick (I don't think really good Mexican food exists in Thailand), but I am curious about Valencia? Do they actually get any business in that location? What dishes do you recommend? I love Spanish food.

PeterUK
June 28th, 2006, 15:17
The Mexican place is quite good. I always have the vegetable burrito when I go there and it hits the spot. Valencia is well worth the hike down Tepprasit Road. Vince the owner is a nice, if rather garrulous guy, who does all the cooking himself in the spotless kitchen, so service can be a bit slow. I have the vegetarian paella ('yuk!' I hear the purists cry), but a friend who is a whizz in these matters assures me that the seafood paella is really top notch. The place has a loyal clientele.

June 28th, 2006, 15:18
Where exactly is Kaffa?It is directly next door to KFC.

June 28th, 2006, 15:20
Is there an echo in here?

June 28th, 2006, 15:24
Sorry about that bg, but when I was reading the posts the first time, I didn't see that there was a Page Two! At least I'm not contradicting Mr. Botting. ;-)

June 28th, 2006, 16:39
The Mexican place is quite good.

Where is Mike's Mexican? Since Gossip no longer have the chef who cooks Mexican food, I've been dying for a nice taco (and here in HK, lunch at a Mexican place will run you well over ┬г40!)

June 28th, 2006, 16:43
The Mexican place is quite good.

Where is Mike's Mexican? Since Gossip no longer have the chef who cooks Mexican food, I've been dying for a nice taco (and here in HK, lunch at a Mexican place will run you well over ┬г40!)
On the Thapraya Road between Jomtien and South Pattaya, on the left if coming from Pattaya, I think a bit past the cheap spaghetti joint. I went in there once and looked at the menu. It looked promising for Thailand. The Thai ladies working there were super friendly.

Smiles
June 29th, 2006, 00:14
Added a couple of good ones in Bangkok because I dislike the continual overwhelming emphasis on Pattaya every time, all the time. This is a gay Thailand message board, not a bloody gay Pattaya one. (End minor rant).

IN BANGKOK:

A terrific little hole in the wall serving just-as-terrific downhome Thai food can be found on Thanon Charoen Wiang in Saphan Thaksin neighbourhood.

It's name is Grong Soi Restaurant but the sign is not in English . . . just look for a pretty little restaurant with 2 sides open to the evening breeze (Soi Charoen Wiang is not very long). All the standard Thai staples, deliciously cooked by the Mother and Father and served by a couple of daughters and assorted relatives & friends. Populated mostly by Thai folks, there's a small stand-up gossip bar (always full) and about a dozen tables serving shift after shift of customers.

La Buca Restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 1.

Excellent Italian cuisine with very reasonable prices. A great snapper dish on the menu (he had it ... never having passed up the opportunity to compare Thai fish dishes with western examples. It was pronounced "great taste"). Nice pizzas! Yummy Tiramisu.

IN PATTAYA:

A dear & generous friend took us out to dinner at The Sugar Hut.

The ambiance was sublime and a full moon that night made it even more memorable for the more susperstitious amongst us. All Thai food (which is what we ate anyway .... can't recall if there are western dishes on the menu, though I wouldn't doubt it). Not absolutely certain what I had that night (it was mostly about seeing an old friend again), but I can recall not being disappointed in anything at all (I grazed off others' dishes as well). Our friend paid ... which was lovely, and I believe The Sugar Hut is moderately expensive.
An leisurly evening there with Thai and western friends can't be beat.

My turn to pay, so a few nights later we were hauled up the hill to try the Royal Cliff Indian Restaurant (sorry, can't remember the formal name of it . . . just walk through the lobby and you'll see a sign).

We ate "tapas" style with a whole array of delicious examples of Indian cuisine. Loved it all.
Suphot's eagle eye spotted a hair in one of the dishes, and we discreetly presented it to the waitress for educational purposes . . . hoping the whole time not to hear the anguished screams of Under Chefs being disembowled by an enraged Head Dude. But all was quiet through the swinging doors and we carried on wading through our most excellent spread.
Did I mention it was "my turn to pay"? Yes, I guess I did . . . not cheap!! But worth every satang.

Cheers ....