View Full Version : DELETED

June 27th, 2006, 10:06
DELETED

Smiles
June 27th, 2006, 11:32
. . . . fair & reasonable comment, accompanied by description and reasoning. NOT a vendetta obviously. I think you probably went out of your way to be fair, given the background of past threads.

Looking forward to Chris's reply.

Cheers ...

American Teacher-old
June 27th, 2006, 11:50
Niddys Nook. Yes, shock horror, I ventured inside the place, sat at a table and ordered. So how did I find the food? Well I'm here this morning writing about it so it didn't kill me.

Well, first off, let me thank you John for stopping by the Nook. We appreciate you taking the time to try us out. That being said, let me try and address some of your main thoughts/concerns.

My first comment to Chris is, how can you say your cheeseburger is the tastyist in Pattaya? Have you tried the others? You are paying 180 Baht for the tastyist cheesburger in Pattaya you are expecting something special. Am I right?

Indeed you should expect something special -- and indeed many have found it special. Some have even posted such on this very board. Let us discuss in greater detail your specific experience below...

At 18.30 I entered the establishment. I was given a menu and I choose the cheeseburger and ordered a cocktail. At 18.40 my cocktail arrived. It took them 7 mins to get me a drink.

Ok, so at 6:30 you looked at the menu (and since you ordered a Milli-Vanilli, I assume you had to read about it first). Let's say that took you 2 minutes. Then you read the menu I presume. Another 3 minutes. Then you ordered. Let's say another minute. We are now at 6:35. You got your drink at 6:40. Therefore, it took the waiter 5 minutes to mix your specialty cocktail. Although I suppose I could have mixed it in about 3 minutes, I suspect sometimes the Thai Staff move a little slower. Still, I don't believe this timing is unreasonable.

At 19.10 my cheeseburger arrived. It was presented nicely. I opened it up and found just meat and a slice of processed cheese inside. I put katchup on it along with some of that yellow mustdard.

After ordering and receiving your drink -- according to you, it took 30 minutes for your cheeseburger to arrive. I don't know because I wasn't there, but after receiving your note I did talk to my waiter. He says that it took him the normal amount of time to serve you -- no unforseen problems. In my past experience, this usually takes about 20 minutes as everything is made fresh and mixed to order. I'd be curious what experience others who have ordered bugers at the Nook had in terms of serving time. Nonetheless, taking you at your word, this does seem a bit slow to me and I will follow up again with my staff tonight.

I cut into it and took a bite. Did the world light up for me? No, frankly. I found the burger to be very dry. The bottom of the bun had a lettuce leaf between the bread and the patty. That was wet as was the bottom bun. The bottom bun became as thin as a pancake as I eat the burger. The fries were served warm, not hot. I actually didn't finish the meal as it was becoming more and more dry.

Though I wouldn't necessarily expect the "world to light up" for you, frankly I do find your experience abnormal. Again, since I wasn't there to see for myself, I can only assume what you say is true. Normally, our burgers are anything but dry -- moist, juicy and thick, actually. In fact, your experience and LMTU's supposed experience when we first opened are the ONLY -- again I say, ONLY negative comments I have heard about our burger from an actual customer. If indeed this was true, I apologise as something must have gone wrong somewhere along the line. Again, I will follow up with my staff on this subject as well.

I left some and the waiter came over to ask if it was OK. I said not really and that was it.

This is especially interesting to me becuase I did indeed ask my waiter if he had checked with you to see what you thought about the food -- and he answered yes... AND that you said everything was fine. Miscommunication? I don't know.

The waiter who went off shopping after I had my food served went behind the bar and lit up. I was eating and although this is an open bar I didn't appreciate a staff member smoking close to me whilst I was eating.

This is completely uncalled for -- and they know -- against our company policy. I will be talking with Tonto (the waiter in question) and giving him a warning and strong repremand. I do apologize for this experience.

Scores: Service 6/10, Time of service 3/10, food quality 4/10, price 3/10

My comments to Chris:

There are some posters here who rave about it, there are some who don't. I have given a truthful and fair assesment of what my experience was like last night at Niddys Nook. Up to Chris how he takes it!

Indeed thank you for your comments, and I am truly sorry your experience was not to your liking. In the spirit of friendliness (as you so aptly claim your intentions to be), John, I would like to offer you another chance to come into the Nook and try our cheeseburger (or another dish if you prefer) free of charge -- on the house. The only thing I would ask is that we arrange it ahead time to be sure that I am there to experience your experience with you and gather your valuable feedback firsthand. As many users know, I have another full time job that keeps me away weekdays and early weekday nights -- but I am always there after that and all day/night on weekends barring any special situations. Just let me know. Again, thanks for caring enough to go through this whole process.

Fondly,
Chris

www.niddysnook.com (http://www.niddysnook.com)
** Don't Miss Out On Trying Our Fish & Chips! **

June 27th, 2006, 11:56
Let me say first, I have no vendetta.
Chris, you sound sincere, but also understandably defensive.
I find it absolutely impossible to believe that no other customers have been disappointed.
You see, you must realize, complainers are very valuable. The vast majority of people when they have a bad experience with any business, don't say a word, and just never come back.
About the invite for a free burger under your close supervision, in what way would that in any way reflect a typical customer experience? It is like being warned that reviewer is coming.
Also, you really should lower your prices.

American Teacher-old
June 27th, 2006, 12:18
Let me say first, I have no vendetta.

I honestly believe -- that for whatever reason, you seem to be less motivated to personally and professionally crush me now. However Thaiquila, you, AS WELL AS THIS WHOLE BOARD know that something personal was going on with your previous attacks -- vendetta or whatever.

Chris, you sound sincere, but also understandably defensive. I find it absolutely impossible to believe that no other customers have been disappointed.

You are welcome to believe what you want -- I can only speak from my own experience.

About the invite for a free burger under your close supervision, in what way would that in any way reflect a typical customer experience? It is like being warned that reviewer is coming. Also, you really should lower your prices.

I do appreciate the comments. I have already stated that. In terms of my offer, it was more so that we could experience and discuss the sampling together (for my benefit, as you all are so concerned for my business -- as you say). It was not for me to monitor the cooking or such -- there are plenty of customers who come when I am not there and are perfectly happy to return again. Sometimes I see them, sometimes I don't!

Fondly,
Chris

** Check out our Online Store! **

June 27th, 2006, 12:27
Mr Botting, it is dissapointing when one expects something from a meal (or any experience) and then is supplied with something inferior. It sounds from your description that this is the case. When this happens I am disinclined to return to the restaurant, however, I hope this will not be the case and that you will take Chris up on his offer. My experience of Niddy's with my num friend was of a delicious meal, well presented and very tasty on the palate, we opted for food from the Thai menu. The prices, at least for the Thai food, were reasonable as far as I was concerned.

Thaiquila, you make some vallid points, Monty's burger is indeed tasty and I was surprised when it arrived on my table to find a nice wedge of 'real' cheese. It is a little 'greasy caff' for some I would think but very tasty for all that. Chris was not at the restaurant until we finished our meal and our experience was of decent service with the food served promptly. I for one may not be like 'most customers', if I feel I have been badly served or the food is not up to standard and I am forced to leave food uneaten, I have no qualms about stating this to the owner or waiter - having said that I will not then accept a reduction or cancellation of the bill, as I do not wish to appear as though I am trying to get something for nothing.

I think Chris is a decent guy and will take on board all comments that are made honestly, like Mr Botting's.

June 27th, 2006, 12:33
I honestly believe -- that for whatever reason, you seem to be less motivated to personally and professionally crush me now. However Thaiquila, you, AS WELL AS THIS WHOLE BOARD know that something personal was going on with your previous attacks -- vendetta or whatever.
Yeah there was something.
I am amused by you now. Before I was annoyed. Can't explain why.

June 27th, 2006, 12:39
My friend and I ate at Niddy's (first time) a few days ago. We were there in the afternoon about 2:30 or so. I really was not paying that much attention because it was not my intention to write a review.

When we went in, no one was there. No customers and no staff. We looked around and called out thinking staff must be busy in the back. As we decided to leave, a staff member came in from the outside. We asked if they were open yet and he said yes to my Thai friend. So we sat down, looked at the menu and ordered, one cheeseburger and one fish and chips. We each had water to drink. The water came right away. As we waited for the meal the staff member was polite and brought over a "Spice" magazine for us. He said it was the new edition. I thought that was nice of him to think of doing this. I have no idea how long it took for the food to be served as my friend and I were talking to each other and enjoying ourselves. When I eat alone, I do think time drags by.

The food was served both plates at about the same time. I had a bite of my friend's fish and chips and found it ok. We did ask for tartar sauce and the waiter said that none had been made.

The cheeseburger was pretty good and I have mentioned that to some of my friends. The price is high.

The waiter did also go behind the bar and lite up a cigarette, which also annoyed me. He was walking around setting up pictures so I could not get away from the smoke.

Overall not a bad experience. But I am not sure I would go back. There just does not seem to be the ambiance of other places. There is something missing. Maybe it is not having the owner visible. (I know now that he has another job). I think that one of the things I enjoy at Googies, Memories, Cafe Royale, is being able to say hello to the farang owner (manager). I do go to some Thai places in the market and don't mind, but there the prices are much less and a bit busier so I can do some people watching.

I do feel that if a farang wants to promote a place, he needs to be on site quite a bit or hire a farang manager to work with the Thai manager. Not because one is more competent than the other, but because there needs to be a connection. I have come to this conclusion probably based on the places I enjoy eating at.

I hope this is taken in a positive manner since that was my purpose.

June 27th, 2006, 13:38
My friend and I also went to Niddy's for the first time on Sunday, for a late breakfast or early lunch. We had actually intended to eat at Gossip, but when we took a wrong turn (I don't frequent Day/Night, so I get lost easily there) and saw Niddy's we decided to give it a try.

We didn't try any of the more unique dishes, so not much to say about the food, other than the fact that the chips (french fries...) were yummy, and neither Chris nor Niddy wrinkled their noses when I asked for mayonnaise with them :) I didn't notice that the prices were high at all (actually lunch cost about half what it costs at a cheap restaurant here in Hong Kong): while I am aware that one can eat lovely food at the market stalls very cheaply, I fancied a quiet cafe with fans where I might read my newspaper that day.

Having been there I would say is that a cafe, like a pub, relies on the pleasant company of its owner to attract business as its recipes and service, and my friend and I found Chris to be very welcoming (and Chris if you are reading this -- thank you for the after lunch tipple!). I think I was even more (pleasantly) surprised that an American-owned establishment allowed smoking, and was pleased to enjoy two very delicious cigarettes after the meal.

June 27th, 2006, 13:51
Nobody was comparing it to Hong Kong prices. That is absurd. We are comparing it to expat type places in low rent Thai districts.
We all have suicidal vices and addictions, but why brag about it?

June 27th, 2006, 15:15
I have never posted on this board but i am a longtime reader. I just couldnt sit back anymore with out speaking up about my own experience at this restaurant. I come to pattaya 2wice a year and have been to niddys nook on 5 different times. every time i have visited my experience has been positive. Ok, its not the quickest service in thailand, but it is not unreasenable either. and as chris said everything is prepared fresh plus it is a small place with a very small staff. the food is great. i have had the fish and chips, assorted thai dishes and the hamburger in question. My experience was that it was very good, soft, toast bun, melted cheese, flavorful burger with seasoning more than just the beef, and hot, fresh chips.

i think the writer of this post is actualy geniuine, but i question his nitpicking and need to act as some restarant critic hired by the bangkok post. i hope all this publicity helps this place and that the owner is not upset by the same handful of users that knock him constantly.

..john

TrongpaiExpat
June 27th, 2006, 16:09
I think the review was fair and balanced. Not everyone has the same taste. My God, he mixed both catchup and mustard together.

I had intended on trying the Nook last time I was in Pattaya but did not have a map handy and forgot exactly where it was.

I promise to get there next time.

wowpow
June 27th, 2006, 16:36
I have just returned from London and had a couple of hamburgers while I was there. Tootsies charge UKL9.90 (c Bt700) for their delicious Organic Aberdeen Angus beef burger with oodles of trimmings, superb fries and lots of sauces and pickles. Having heard of new places offering de-luxe burgers I saw one and popped in it was called The Ultimate Hamburger (burgers UKL6.70 and Fries UKL2.00. + 12.5% service) It arrived like a mountain and looked wonderful but it was overcooked a dry and had bits of grisle in it.

I have never had a superb hamburger outside of the USA except at The Hard Rock Cafes (a British invention!) and we are talking an inch or more thick and charred outside and pink moist deliciousness inside which dribbles down your chin, surfs down the shirt to a puddle in the groin. Now many places are not allowed to serve rare meat because of the potential infection - mind you I have been called a mad cow long before the disease was discovered.

I find complaint handling a fascinating topic and interesting to view reactions. In the case of a complaint the aims should be to mollify the customers, keep them as customers and address the problem so it does not recurr. There is a strong tendency for receivers of complaints to look at it through one or other end of a telescope.

I personally think that going through a report and dismissing what the customer says is not wise. JB went there to have this legendary cheeseburger so it probably took him 5 seconds to say that. Choosing a cocktail from a list would probably take around a minute maximum. Saying that 30 minutes plus is the norm for serving a hamburger (fresh, so no defrosting time required) would worry me. I would say that Chris has problems which need attention. I have not had a meal there but I do walk past often after super food a Cuisine au Beurre ( 3 courses with coffee for Bt190 and always packed) and his place rarely has a customer other than a couple having a drink. There are messages in that.

Having read the trail I'm tempted to hot foot it round to Monty's - real cheese in Thailand WOW!

June 27th, 2006, 16:37
DELETED

June 27th, 2006, 16:45
No need to apologize, John. The clearer-thinking among us appreciate your review and take it for what it is: the opinion of one diner, on the basis of one meal.

Dodger
June 27th, 2006, 16:48
Satisfying customers in the service industry relies on this sort of negative feedback in order to understand where improvements need to be made.

I think Johns report was fair and unbiased. That being said, the one area where Chris may want to focus is this posters statement...
There just does not seem to be the ambiance of other places. There is something missing..

I think what was missing was the owner.

Chris, your comments led me to believe that you do not allow your staff to smoke (cigarettes) in the restaurant, and several of your visitors have said that this is happening and it Anoys them. If your staff isn't following your business policies when you're not there, is it possible they're not following the recipe's either?

Monty told me something very important once, that if you want to own and operate a successful business in Thailand, you have to live it and breath it...meaning, you have to be there to ensure it's operations.

Just a thought

mai pen rai

American Teacher-old
June 27th, 2006, 16:49
Chris, has made on the whole a respectful post back to me, yet he said a couple of times in his replies, "if indeed this was true", and he lumped my comments in with those of LMTU a percieved knocker (rightly or wrongly) of Niddys Nook.

I would not waste my time posting the whole experience just to have a go at you.

I realize this John, and I do truly thank you for your input. Though I would like to actually meet you sometime (I think we might actually get along quite well!), I respect your reasons for not meeting me. I think most of what you said was fair -- hell, they are your observations -- but I am just trying to make sense of the few things that were completely in conflict between your comments and my staff's. Anyhow, that's my problem, not yours.

Thanks again,
Chris

** Don't Miss The BIG Party on July 8th -- Free Food!! Lots of it! **

June 27th, 2006, 23:33
I have only eaten there once - on my last visit to Thailand.
Verdict....Grossly over-priced, lukewarm food, indifferent service says it all. There are far better eateries in the area.
Unlike General MacArthur I will NOT return.

June 28th, 2006, 00:29
Well, part of the problem may be shouting loudly that it is Pattaya's best cheeseburger, when this is clearly not the case. Perhaps either stop the overhyping or bring the reality more in line with the promotion. And what did I read that a customer asked for tartar sauce and the answer was it wasn't made. Couldn't it be made when asked? What kind of real restaurant is like that?

Smiles
June 28th, 2006, 00:43
Prices on the high side (can they come down?).
[/*:m:uipl1lu3]
An employee who smokes on the job when the cat's away ... after the cat has already said "Mai Ow" (To Be Addressed)
[/*:m:uipl1lu3]
Processed cheese slices on the meat!!! (Inexcusable and possibly most telling of all. What restauranteur would make such a crazed decision?)[/*:m:uipl1lu3]

Cheers ...

June 28th, 2006, 00:54
Processed cheese slices on the meat!!! (Inexcusable and possibly most telling of all. What restaurateur would make such a crazed decision?)[/*:m:nd2n9g2b]

Cheers ...
McDonald's?

June 28th, 2006, 03:50
What Chris wanna do is make his gaff different from the other places in Pattaya. Hows about doing a scat night one or two times a week?
I been past his place a few times and some of the boys there would look loverly squatting on the bar and droppin a big steamin log on the floor

June 28th, 2006, 03:52
How low can you go mister John Botting, go eat on the nook for illuminate the business from Chris white a clockwise in your hand. Most off us are in Holiday if we go eat, time is not so important, and also we eat a dinner the name word, not a cheeseburger.

I hope someone illuminate your car rental mister john Botting, have a good start and listening to Boygeorge.

Soon they will tell Chris what time he has to go sleep and what time to wake up !

Sad Belgium is so far for you mister John Botting and Tataquila you not even enter my business back door even if you moved your fad asses and big mouths 10.000 km( count it in miles yourself ) , to illuminate my business !

Impulse
June 28th, 2006, 04:07
Since the last post didnt make too much since and the one before was rather tastless,I will take this moment to ask Smiles about his avatar.What the hell?Is that bucknaway holding a banana to his head? I will give the Nook a try when Im there in August as my curiosity has been aroused.I play it safe and eat at Tips on beach road.It is very expensive,but the stir fried veggies are out of this world.

June 28th, 2006, 04:24
I still think Niddy's Nook has some potential if just a few adjustments are made:

1. Lower prices, forget the discount clip specials, people do not like those
2. Make sure everything needed to cook menu items is on hand, if you can't, reduce menu choices until you can
3. Improve the famous cheeseburger, better ingredients perhaps
4. Push the fun cocktails even more, that seems to be the unique thing about the place
5. Owner needs to stop being so defensive; honest comments like from Mr. Botting do a great service, if every customer who had a beef spoke up, and every owner LISTENED, alot fewer businesses would TANK.

Smiles
June 28th, 2006, 04:43
" ... Since the last post didnt make too much since and the one before was rather tastless,I will take this moment to ask Smiles about his avatar.What the hell?Is that bucknaway holding a banana to his head? ... "

:blackeye: Yes, and thanks for asking. That was a banana (a nice fat one), and that was BCG/Bucknaway trying to shoot himself with it.
Read all about it here (close to the last 3 or 4 posts): http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... ght=#81126 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81126&highlight=#81126)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/paulindelaware/1idol.jpg

I was rather touched actually, but have today reverted back to my own suicidal delusions . . . all brought on by the way, from being forced to read this Cornucopia of Filth (excuse for a) Message Board.

Cheers ...

June 28th, 2006, 04:45
Never visited the Night/Day area before (or Niddy's) ... but after all this bickering, I'm DYING to give Niddy's a try next time I'm in Pattaya!

I wonder how many other "first timers" will be paying Niddy's a visit after this?

June 28th, 2006, 04:49
Never visited the Night/Day area before (or Niddy's) ... but after all this bickering, I'm DYING to give Niddy's a try next time I'm in Pattaya!

I wonder how many other "first timers" will be paying Niddy's a visit after this?
No doubt, very many. The curiosity factor is definitely there.

Smiles
June 28th, 2006, 05:00
I will go when next in LoS so long as that waiter isn't still lighting up, and Chris drops the processed cheese and puts The Real Thing atop the meat.
I will NOT however be announcing the visit . . . and I hope Mr Botting doesn't either.

However, Thaiquila and LMTY should make the date & time of their next visit known to Chris . . . so some special flavouring can be added to the hamburger mix just in time for their appearance. ( I'd certainly like to be there to watch :blackeye: )

Cheers ....

June 28th, 2006, 05:05
I will be glad to visit whenever the new THAIQUILA cocktail is announced. I want to do my part to make the Nook a success, and gladly offer the name THAIQUILA to the cocktail. Now, this is a publicity gimmick worth at least 300 baht, but I am really that generous!

Smiles
June 28th, 2006, 05:09
I will be glad to visit whenever the new THAIQUILA cocktail is announced. I want to do my part to make the Nook a success, and gladly offer the name THAIQUILA to the cocktail. Now, this is a publicity gimmick worth at least 300 baht, but I am really that generous!
That's the most constructive you've been in this whole never-ending Niddys Nook thing.
A damn good idea ... something the owner should definitely think about. It would have much meaning for Sawatdee members who sneak by for a look & a taste.

Cheers ...

June 28th, 2006, 05:11
That's the most constructive you've been in this whole never-ending Niddys Nook thing.
A damn good idea ... something the owner should definitely think about. It would have much meaning for Sawatdee members who sneak by for a look & a taste.

Cheers ...
Thanks. I have mentioned it before though, and no response.
It could be a real fun thing, in a campy bitchy queen kind of way.

June 28th, 2006, 07:09
Not long now for my next visit and Ill give you 5 star write up, if you let me, I can tell u then and everyone else.

Go in smoking LMTU, then they all now it is you go enter.

Sometimes i wonder if this soap is playing in Pattaya. It lets me remember i was in the US, and did stop the car in a small village, 5 minutes later the police was arriving because the village people did call the police, "a car did stop white 2 strange people". I am sure some off you did escape from that village and living in Pattaya now, white your village mentality still on board .

American Teacher-old
June 28th, 2006, 09:38
...You know what. Now, I can't really even make sense of most of your illiterate rantings this time -- however, I'd like to suggest something to you. Why don't you get some proper English lessons on writing and grammar? Surely, we woud ALL benefit from that.

I won't even bother addressing all the lies in your last post, except to say that I laughed out loud when I read your comment about Niddy working in a hotel! Do you even know who Niddy is??!! I know this is just more of your hot-winded hyperbole, but this time you've outdone yourself!

Thanks for a good laugh.

Fondly,
Chris

** Home Of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger **
(yes, you heard right!)

June 28th, 2006, 09:41
DELETED

American Teacher-old
June 28th, 2006, 09:45

Many! Thanks Danny, we look forward to serving you on your next visit!!

Fondly,
Chris

** Try Our Fish & Chips *WITH* homemade Tartar Sauce! **

American Teacher-old
June 28th, 2006, 09:49
Bazil, boygeorge has NEVER rented a car off me and is in no position to pass comments.

Funny that. Thaiquila has never eaten at my restaurant either. But that doesn't stop him/her from passing all kinds of comments.

Fondly,
Chris

** Try Our New Spicy Tex-Mex Style Chili! **

June 28th, 2006, 10:04
[quote="John Botting":3lhpv6ld]Bazil, boygeorge has NEVER rented a car off me and is in no position to pass comments.

Funny that. Thaiquila has never eaten at my restaurant either. But that doesn't stop him/her from passing all kinds of comments.

Fondly,
Chris

** Try Our New Spicy Tex-Mex Style Chili! **[/quote:3lhpv6ld]
That is true, I haven't eaten there, but how would you know that for sure if I said that I had? Do you have so few customers that you do a background and identity check on each one?
Anyway, I still invite you to consider featuring the Thaiquila cocktail.

And how can you make this claim: ** Try Our Fish & Chips *WITH* homemade Tartar Sauce! **
when people request the sauce and you don't have it?

June 28th, 2006, 10:27
And people complain about @Richards (in Bangkok)! More seriously, there's an old saw about "for every person who complains to the owner, several don't - but they tell all their friends". I'm well aware that one of the afflictions suffered by restaurateurs and bar owners are customers who are not afraid to make suggestions for improvements. However at least two posters have commented about common experiences at the Nook - specifically staff who smoke on the job, and more generally inattentive staff. In my experience a restaurant that expects Westerners to become its regular patrons needs a Westerner to be involved actively (and full-time) in the management - and care about the levels of service. There are enough restaurants and bars where the business exists almost solely to provide the Western owner with a excuse to stay in Thailand, not to mention the owner who has the expectation, voiced or otherwise, that because they're gay that homosexuals should patronise the business for no other reason than that. There are very few gay-owned businesses in Thailand that could stand on their own merits alone (and in that context I must give a plug to Image Limo)

June 28th, 2006, 10:31
John Botting wrote :

Can't understand any of this .

I am sure you can't !

June 28th, 2006, 10:31
This phenom of gays putting up with substandard, overpriced businesses just because of their gay identification is found all over the world. I am not saying all gay businesses are guilty of this, of course, but many are. And if we support such substandard businesses, we only have ourselves to blame.

June 28th, 2006, 11:12
Niddy's Nook gets a lot of posts and much flack from certain areas, but how does it compare with other Farang owned (or co-owned/run) gay restaurants and eateries, I hear very little about other gay places. I know compairing some of these places is like contrasting chalk and cheese, they do not necessarily go for the same markets.

Anyone help with the listing below, I have some opinions:

Amor Restaurant - Large, well staffed, great location, good food, overpriced, nice ambiance
Ambiance Coffee Shop - small menu and ok food, suitable for a hotel eatery, not a favoured choice for a place to go for a meal
August Renoir Restaurant (Flamingo) - Untried by me
Dicks Cafe - Same same as the one in Bangkok, nice food, limited selection, pleasant staff
Enchanted Hut - I ate there once, more of a dining experience, very limited menu IMHO, the staff were ok but didn't appear totally with it
Le Cafe Royale - Favourite amongst many who eat there every night, English food can be a little like 'school dinners', Thai food can sometimes be a little bland, overpriced, very nice staff, great location, biggest breakfasts I have ever seen
Luxor - Untried by me
Pooseidon - Went once, was not impressed with the staff, had almost no Thai food I could see, left after ordering a drink and did not eat there
Symphony Brasserie - Untried by me
White Night - As I recal (it's over a year since I have been - I went a few times), a nice buffet menu selection and staff who were (at least when I went) desperate to be taken off!

ps. The longest wait I had a for a meal (a starter) was in Bangkok @Richard's - 45 minutes, for those who say 'you are on holiday, don''t be a clock watcher', I say there are limits and I never went back.

June 28th, 2006, 11:42
The White Night is OK once in a while, good value for sure.
Renoirs is kind of mediocre and the staff is just like Fawlty Towers. The German Pork leg is pretty good, and shockingly big. Also like the mussels and fries special on Friday (are they still doing that)?
Amor is pleasant and good location, but the food is way overpriced for that quality in Thailand. But good service. I don't care about good service for mediocre, average food though.

June 28th, 2006, 12:52
Anyone help with the listing below, I have some opinions:

Okay I'll bite (sorry I couldn't resist):

Amor Restaurant - Okay food, but eating there once is enough..
Ambiance Coffee Shop - Only ever had coffee there...
August Renoir Restaurant (Flamingo) - Definitely want to try
Dicks Cafe - 'Same same as the one in Bangkok, nice food, limited selection, pleasant staff' - 100% agreed
Enchanted Hut - pleasant atmosphere and charming host, but too many savoury dishes spoilt by sugar
Le Cafe Royale - Cold roast beef with mustard sauce, eggs mayonnaise, and smoked salmon -- all 'caww really noice'
Luxor - Excellent food, service, wine list, and hospitality; reservations recommended even during low season
Pooseidon - Not the same since Helmut left and opened Luxor
Symphony Brasserie - Looking forward to trying it
White Night - As a fat old tart I avoid buffets and their evil temptation

and two more:
l'Olivier - cheap and cheerful French cuisine -- a combination one never sees in any other country (well, perhaps Laos as well...)
Bruno's - Mediocre food and staff untrained for a restaurant in that price range

ps. The longest wait I had a for a meal (a starter) was in Bangkok @Richard's - 45 minutes, for those who say 'you are on holiday, don''t be a clock watcher', I say there are limits and I never went back.

Yes we had a similar experience -- even the drinks took a very long time, to the point where I suffered from low blood alcohol content. That said, they surely must have trained their staff by now, so it may be worth another chance.

June 28th, 2006, 15:00
It amazes me that one or two seemingly crazed individuals have been allowed to use this board to continually and relentlessly bash away at one business. I find it particularly annoying that LMTU speaks of "we" and "us" in his crusade to save the gay population from (shock horror) mediocre cheeseburgers. Who exactly does he speak for? Not me!! Who the fuck cares if Niddy has another job? Not me!!

I cannot reconcile these bashing practices which have persisted for several months against the complete opposite when I and a couple of other posters made justified and proven criticism based on actual real experience of another gay business in Pattaya (Siam Thani). Our posts were hastily deleted with "libel laws" being weakly presented as the reason. I wish someone would explain the difference to me!

As regards any business gay or otherwise, ultimately market forces will prevail and determine the success or failure of that business. Whether or not Chris chooses to heed or ignore some of seemingly legitimate complaints posted here is entirely up to him.

June 28th, 2006, 15:26
It amazes me that one or two seemingly crazed individuals have been allowed to use this board to continually and relentlessly bash away at one business.

I don't have any connection to LMTU though I don't have anything against him. Actually, the chatter about Niddys has only recently flared up again in response to John B's wonderfully objective review. I also don't care how many jobs ANYONE has!

American Teacher-old
June 28th, 2006, 15:38
It amazes me that one or two seemingly crazed individuals have been allowed to use this board to continually and relentlessly bash away at one business. Who the fuck cares if Niddy has another job?

Thanks for your comments Brett. But please, let's not fan the Let Me Bore You fires. I can assure you that Niddy has no time for another job (this is so funny, I am still laughing)! Running the Nook keeps him quite occupied from 1:00 PM to 1:00 AM every day of the week (we have no weekly closing day).

Once again, LMBU's comment is a complete lie -- based in no truth whatsoever. I can't wait to see how he explains this one!

Cheers!
-Chris

** Need to Send Money To Thailand? Try Our Online Money Transfer! **

June 28th, 2006, 16:02
.... some people have too much time, obviously.... :geek: but well, maybe thats the daily life of PTY..... I am not an insider ^_^

June 28th, 2006, 17:31
DELETED

June 28th, 2006, 18:00
Chill brother!

I was not referring to your post. Far from it. Your post would fit into the "seemingly legitimate complaints" category in the last paragraph of my post.

I am referring to the relentless and continual bashing of Niddys by two posters one of whom does so on behalf of "us" while the other admits he has never been there!

June 28th, 2006, 18:38
Don't knock relentless bashing until you try it! It is so marvelously cathartic, they should bottle it and stock it at Boots!

June 28th, 2006, 20:16
Yes we had a similar experience -- even the drinks took a very long time, to the point where I suffered from low blood alcohol content. That said, they surely must have trained their staff by now, so it may be worth another chance.Don't bank on it. A friend told me he was there recently and even one of the owners was complaining about the time it was taking for his food to arrive. Don't let that stop you, however

June 28th, 2006, 21:45
Niddy, I'm almost never in Pattaya and I've never been there since you opened your restaurant. However, you may find that Thai staff will tell you what they think you want to hear, not the truth- especially if that truth paints them in a bad light. They may even conspire against the "farang," especially if they are friends. Western management techniques don't always work here. I'd agree with other posters that you need to be spending a lotta time in your restaurant the first year or two.

I frequent a fairly good gay-farang owned restaurant in Bangkok, and each and every time the owner is gone for awhile it goes downhill- service, food, hygiene, and all. It's almost to the point where I'd rather call ahead to see if the owner's in to make sure things are all right. He's complained to me before about how tough it is to make the staff take directions and policy seriously- from portion sizes to the kind of dishes used for various foods to the ingredients in the potato salad. When he arrives in his restaurant, he's on the job immediately prompting the staff to get their act together and keep the place running smoothly- I've seen him nag them for an hour before the sluggish inertia seemed to fade.

Another farang restauranteur, I hear, despairs at any kind of incentives for his staff to provide good service- bonuses based on sales, service charges, nothing seems to disturb "mai pen rai." Better salary offers might attract staff who care more, but might not.

I second the others who take JB's post at face value. And I hope I have a chance before too long to check out your place myself- I need a trip out of town.

American Teacher-old
June 29th, 2006, 12:33
Let Me Bore You:

You do make me laugh, I'll give you that.

By the way, you still haven't explained your lie about Niddy working in a hotel. Please enlighten us with your "facts."

Fondly,
Chris

** Try Our New Tex-Mex Style Spicy Chili! **

June 29th, 2006, 13:48
Chris:

I agree with Brett that there is a distinct nastiness in the critiques of Niddy's Nook by your detractors. However, you are playing right into their hands through this endlessly dragging tet-a-tet.

Initially, I got the same sense as some other Forum readers that it might be interesting to drop into your establishment to try the food and drinks myself and observe the wait service. This was due to sheer curiosity, in part, and sympathy for someone seemingly under brutal attack (and your detractors do seem brutish).

However, since you continue to egg them on by responding to their catcalls I am wondering if you have all your marbles.

Business-wise, IMHO you would have been better off with your original abandonment of SWDF rather than your current posture of overindulgence on the Forum.

June 29th, 2006, 14:21
to bash?

Food preferences are a matter of taste--Good or bad.
I've heard a certain Pattaya (British) restaurant raved about--and ranted at. I, personally; thought it was the worst drowned-in-gravey, greasy glop I've ever had--But they love it--so, Enjoy! (And have my share too...please!) I do listen carefully to the advice of those same epicures--Then do the exact opposite. The secret is to know the gourmands from gluttons and act accordingly.

Most legitimate (Professional) restaurant reviewers--Unfortunately, there is no one here who fits that description--would wait at least six months before publishing another word about an establishment once reviewed. To keep incessantly harping sounds like a vendeta.

And, Chris, the gentleman (Stargaze) is right. Stop replying--And playing into hostile hands. They are determined to have the last word--And will.

American Teacher-old
June 29th, 2006, 14:39
And, Chris, the gentleman (Stargaze) is right. Stop replying--And playing into hostile hands. They are determined to have the last word--And will.

Fair enough. Thanks.

Fondly,
Chris

** July 8th Anniversary Bash! **

June 29th, 2006, 14:43
And a wise decision that is, Jane Marple always gets her man.

June 29th, 2006, 17:15
Well on my visits to Pattaya I've not been to niddy's nook so I can't comment there. Strange though that with all the bashing being done it does draw one towards giving it a try. From those I have tried and can remember;
(I'm not obsessed with gay joints when I'm eating so these are just general)
FATTIES was my fave for a burger altho I hear that the owner has sold up and moved on and the place has turned to crap
AMOR was ok, food pretty decent but a tad pricey
FLAMINGO I waited forever to be served and it was average at best when I was
PASCALES too dear and over fancy for my palate
HOT STONE GRILL I absolutely loved for my steak. Top notch IMO
Some place called NUMBER 1 restaurant (or something similar) was pretty poor to say the least
BURGER KING Look I was desperately hungry and it was late and it was open

June 29th, 2006, 17:28
Some place called NUMBER 1 restaurant (or something similar) was pretty poor to say the least

There's also a NUMBER 2 restaurant.

June 29th, 2006, 23:08
Chris serves waffles? I LOVE waffles!

June 30th, 2006, 07:45
Chris serves waffles? I LOVE waffles!Surely you knew? He waffles enough in his posts

June 30th, 2006, 08:29
No tartar sauce needed for waffles though.
Real Vermont maple syprup would be nice.

rincondog
June 30th, 2006, 11:34
R they Belgian waffles?

June 30th, 2006, 11:56
R they Belgian waffles?
If you want them to be.

June 30th, 2006, 12:28
I can't wait to eat at Niddies Nook. I am jealous. I love Controversial food. I get so bored with the same same.
If ever I have to pass through there on the way South, I will make a point of finding your restaurant Chris, I hope you are in at the time because I love a good chat.

Another excellent place to get Controversial food is the Thai restaurant at the Sukhothai Hotel Bangkok. Dont try unless you have a lot of cash or a rich client to dine with. For starters I was served a large platter of assorted sticks, stones and incredibly pungent raw onion, this is rolled up by yourself in some heart shaped leaves that are pretty much indigestible, as is the whole mouthful, but the sensation of eating but not swallowing is wonderful. You only need the one mouthful to satisfy. I felt so fresh and light when I left, I even played some tennis after.

For mains I had the highly recommended roast duck smoked in tea. Well this didn't disappoint either, it was served just like that, a piece of duck on a plate, and a single small prettily carved vegetable sculpture along side. The duck was even more sensational than the starter, it is carefully roasted then smoked to a turn until it snaps in your mouth like a tree branch. The bones are sharp enough to pierce your cheeks so take care, this exotic fare is not to every-ones taste. Some of the best controversial food I have ever had in Thailand.

Highly recommended. Seven stars!

June 30th, 2006, 15:08
Cheeseburgers? Controversial?