View Full Version : discrimination

gregvc
September 16th, 2015, 00:08
went to Mens Factory sauna in Silom at around 3pm and was told that the cheaper rate was for Thais only. I said that discrimination was disgusting and took my money back. Haven't we been fighting for equality only to find it in the gay community. I know the arguments that it is their country or that it isn't much but all those views are racism dressed up.

bruce_nyc
September 16th, 2015, 00:57
If you view it as a discount for local residents, it's really not considered a bad thing. Even Disney World does the same thing for local residents of Florida.

Also, it's probably packed full of local Thai guys. If they charged full price for Thai guys, it'd probably be empty.

christianpfc
September 16th, 2015, 01:24
What exactly were prices for foreigner and Thai? Did you spot any activity? From my visits and reading comments elsewhere, it's not worth going.

BTW, R3 and Sauna Mania charger higher prices for older customers, the opposite of senior discount.

bucknaway
September 16th, 2015, 02:07
Sanuk changed its policy of charging Thai less than faring after receiving a lot of negative comments on the message boards.

I try to avoid dual pricing when u can.

bruce_nyc
September 16th, 2015, 02:18
...higher prices for older customers, the opposite of senior discount.

That's funny. Made me laugh. I don't know why. :)

What..... They double your age in baht.....? lol

latintopxxx
September 16th, 2015, 02:57
I really don't care, if it means that it keeps flabby old guys out and attracts fit younger guys then I'm all for it. The world is NOT fair...get used to it.

bruce_nyc
September 16th, 2015, 11:34
Yea. It's not "discrimination"..... it's a discount for locals. It's all in how you look at it.

When you go to a gogo bar and are required to pay 450 baht per drink..... do you assume that the boys on the stage also had to pay 450 baht to get in...? No. And if they were forced to.... that gogo bar would have no boys.... and no customers.

Poor people have less money than rich people. That's life. Get over it.

Surfcrest
September 16th, 2015, 13:37
BTW, R3 and Sauna Mania charger higher prices for older customers, the opposite of senior discount.
It's not that farangs have to pay more or Thais get in for cheaper...it's a promotion. The saunas I've been to both in North America and Europe offer cheaper rates or cheap nights to students or the younger age groups on certain nights...and it works! Of course the older guys don't complain with more young stuff in the mix and I imagine if there were more Thais available, because of the lower rate they were charged...would that be a bad thing?

Surfcrest

christianpfc
September 16th, 2015, 13:51
In case of R3, it's clearly not a promotion for younger, but overcharging older:
age under 50 years everyday 160 Baht (which is within the normal range)
age over 50 years everyday 300 Baht (which is the highest entry price of all Bangkok saunas)
(different prices on special events)
While I disapprove of this policy, I won't go as far as boycotting them as has been suggested by people who commented on travelgayasia.

Some places have promotions for younger customers, but then the prices are on the lower end of the usual price range of Bangkok saunas.

September 16th, 2015, 15:05
While I disapprove of this policy, I won't go as far as boycotting them as has been suggested by people who commented on travelgayasia.
Unlike airlines?

latintopxxx
September 17th, 2015, 07:40
...if i ran a sauna/sex venue i would pay fit young thai guys to frequent it and then rip off the old flappy farangs that would follow

firecat69
September 17th, 2015, 08:10
Unlike airlines?

You don't mean you would expect Christian to be consistent!

dinagam
September 17th, 2015, 18:22
Sometimes it's still possible to get a discount from the listed price by simply asking. Once in a while the guys running the ticket counter are quite flexible, or conniving by giving you a discount over the farang price while issuing a receipt for locals, and pocketing the difference.