PDA

View Full Version : hotels near bridge over river kwai

aot871
August 25th, 2015, 22:55
On my next trip in a few months , I would like to go up to the bridge , having never been before ,does any one know of a decent hotel foe a couple of nights . I will be taking a friend from Saigon with me .

Mancs
August 25th, 2015, 23:38
The U Inchantree hotel was fine in January 2014. Pleasant room, restaurant/bar beside the river, walkable distance to the bridge. I recall a fairly strenuous walk up a well known local waterfall trail being a highlight of a short trip.

Smiles
August 26th, 2015, 10:25
Haven't been to Kanchanaburi for a number of years now and I can't remember any specific names. But below is a map of the town with a couple of notes regarding at least a place to start.
There is no lack of lodging in Kanchanaburi ... it's a major tourist area. There are small guest houses strung out along the river both in town and outside, and lots within walking distance of the bridge itself as well as the cemetery and a small museum. At this time of year (and recent problems) it should not be much of an issue getting a decent hotel even if you just show up. Kanchanaburi itself is not huge ~ i.e. the town centre, most interesting area ~ and easily walkable.
Frankly, if 'in-town' is what you want, then I'd start looking on the other side of the river and it's numerous riverside hotels. Nice touch is that you get to walk the bridge every time you want to go into town.

The post above I think refers to Erawan Park and it's famous waterfall. It should be bursting with falling waters this time of year. The pathway up the waterfall is a great hike, although it gets steeper as you go up. We made it to #6 (if I recall correctly) and well worth it, but it was not easy. You can swim with the fishes in the pools on the way up.

(click on map to enlarge)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/sawatdeephotos/river%20kwai3_zpsx6pjg741.jpg

Surfcrest
August 26th, 2015, 11:05
For a unique experience you could stay at one of the rafthouses along the river. They're pretty basic, check TripAdvisor for the better ones (Kanchanaburi)...some provide good home cooked meals.

Surfcrest

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Surfcrest/IMG_0973.jpg

paulosussex
August 26th, 2015, 11:59
Hi,
I also booked the U Inchantree for a weekend next month as it has a great location and decent reviews.
Cheers

christianpfc
August 26th, 2015, 23:49
The bridge is a few km from the main Farang area (they have even girly host bars and massage, but I didn't spot anything that looked gay), and even further from bus station and main train station.

Songtheos to the west drive past in about 1 km distance to the bridge. I found Erawan waterfall slightly underwhelming, now with little rain it might by disappointing. There is a public bus going to Erawan National Park. Details on my blog.

goji
August 27th, 2015, 05:04
It depends what you define as decent.

I was very happy staying at the Ploy Guesthouse. It's hardly Claridges, but has some style, an average of 4 stars on Trip Advisor and is set back from the main street, so was quiet enough.

I also enjoyed the Erawan waterfall complex. And meeting up with a Korean tourist on JackD.

morse
August 28th, 2015, 11:13
You didn't give your budget. I have visited a number of times and like the Felix Kwai River Resort. It has rooms along the river as well as (less expensive) rooms away from the river. The grounds are very nice. The breakfast is excellent and the restaurant good. The swimming pool is very good. You can easily walk to the bridge from the resort. It is a short walk from "the other side of the river over the railway bridge". It is a bit of a drive to get to the resort from town since there is no road bridge across the river at the museum/railway area. But if you want to spend a little more and indulge yourself, it is a NICE place to stay.