View Full Version : Bangkok Bar prices during low season

bucknaway
August 25th, 2015, 00:25
I wonder if the bangkok bars have changed their prices to get more butts into the seats? I've been waging my own boycott of dreamboys as not to encourage their high prices. I must admit that I still wondering what is going on inside there and think I may venture inside just once on my coming holiday.

Imy wondering if the Chinese are still throwing their money around in the bars even after their currency has been devalued?

fountainhall
August 25th, 2015, 01:06
Imy wondering if the Chinese are still throwing their money around in the bars even after their currency has been devalued?
A 5% devaluation is nothing compared to much larger swings in other currencies since the start of the year.

firecat69
August 25th, 2015, 01:25
Two chances they will lower their prices. Slim and none. More likely they'd raise them which is the Thai way.

Sen Yai
August 25th, 2015, 02:05
I've been waging my own boycott of dreamboys as not to encourage their high prices. I must admit that I still wondering what is going on inside there and think I may venture inside just once on my coming holiday.

Yes, that's what most folk do and that is why they can charge the higher prices.

latintopxxx
August 25th, 2015, 03:03
oh bucky boy, I do enjoy your (most) postings but stop carrying on about dream boy prices, the arse on show on stage is really prime stuff...even if u dont want to watch the stoopid show just treat yourself to a drink and ogle the " boys"...

goji
August 25th, 2015, 03:54

As has already been pointed out, a few percent change in exchange rates shouldn't make a difference to this.

On the other hand, those who invested on the Chinese stockmarkets using margin might have to restrain their spending somewhat. The potential losses are much larger there. Even then, the vast majority would have too much sense to get drawn into that.

To some extent, the spending in bars must depend on the kind of Chinese people attracted to the Bangkok bars.
As we all know, China has a very large population. So if the very few who make it to the Bangkok bars happen to be successful businessmen from the top 0.001% of the Chinese wealth distribution, I suppose they have money to throw around anyway. Particularly if they are on a short trip.

thaiguest
August 25th, 2015, 06:26

As has already been pointed out, a few percent change in exchange rates shouldn't make a difference to this.

On the other hand, those who invested on the Chinese stockmarkets using margin might have to restrain their spending somewhat. The potential losses are much larger there. Even then, the vast majority would have too much sense to get drawn into that.

To some extent, the spending in bars must depend on the kind of Chinese people attracted to the Bangkok bars.
As we all know, China has a very large population. So if the very few who make it to the Bangkok bars happen to be successful businessmen from the top 0.001% of the Chinese wealth distribution, I suppose they have money to throw around anyway.
Particularly if they are on a short trip.
The reality is, like it or not, the chinese frequented bars might very well be closed by now were it not for their custom.

bkkguy
August 25th, 2015, 19:41
As we all know, China has a very large population.

depending on whose definition of "China" we are using here you may need to be considering the economic situation beyond just mainland China - I am not sure about the Spratlys or Macau but the Dream Boys target audience includes visitors from Taiwan and Hong Kong and the diaspora in Singapore and probably even Vancouver!

The reality is, like it or not, the chinese frequented bars might very well be closed by now were it not for their custom.

and given the target audience of this forum, I (and most readers here) should care about this why? If Dream Boys closed its doors tomorrow what impact would it have on local gay Thais and current (mostly western) gay (s)expats and (sex) tourists and even the Thai economy?

compared to the Erawan shrine bombing it would be an unnoticed blip on the "Chinese" tourism radar, and as for attracting the yellow pink dollar to replace the declining fat ugly old falung dollar there are enough massage places and other sex bar options around without worrying about Dream Boys

bkkguy

christianpfc
August 26th, 2015, 23:39
From a small sampling in Pattaya and Bangkok (and prices noted on the entrance of Soi Twilight bars), prices are the same as a year ago.

However number of boys is low in some bars, and Soi Twilight bars still have foreign boys in jeans (I even spotted some fully dressed looking through the door of Fresh Boys), so you get less value for your money now.

Dream Boys conundrum: I have never seen as many boys walk in or out as there are on stage. (From sitting in the Soi in a beer bar 7-8 pm and looking who is going where, and my last visit to Dream Boys about two years ago. There are two meanings for last: here I mean "the most recent visit", but it could as well mean "there will no further visit".)

svyturys
September 4th, 2015, 10:36
Last week I was in soi Twilight for the first time. I didn't go to any go-go bars, just sat at one of the beer bars and watched the crowd. There were only a few white men coming and going. 80-90 % of the clientele were Asians. Actually, white men mainly sat at the beer bars and were crowd-watching. In Pattaya I did not see any at all - only old European men.
I don't think there is need to loathe Chinese for splashing at BKK go-go bars. It's something that they don't have in their own repressive country, so for them it's a reasonable price to pay. I spoke to one boy at a beer bar and he only confirmed that most customers come from East Asia.
I didn't see many offs though. Maybe 2 or 3 in one hour. The boys were really gorgeous though. One was offed by a middle-aged Asian, the other - by a fat, ugly, although fairly young European. It looks like most customers come to look at the boys.

fountainhall
September 4th, 2015, 11:38
The Chinese Yuan is already on the rise again so the actual devaluation is now less than the initial 5%. Singapore and Taiwan have dropped considerably more than 5% in recent months. Only Hong Kong has remained steady as its currency is directly linked to the US$.

The impression I have is that mainland Soi Twilight visitors still tend to go in groups. With the fall in the price of oil, it's reasonable to expect their package tour prices have fallen slightly. So there may be little change in their available spending cash.

An occasional glance at gay web sites for Singapore and Taiwan certainly seems to show that these guys also generally come to Bangkok in small groups of 2 or more, and are far more into meeting up at saunas and discos than they are at taking off boys from a go go bar. I wonder therefore if the off rate has declined considerably.

Smiles
September 4th, 2015, 11:51
Slightly off topic, but ...

" ... I don't think there is need to loathe Chinese for splashing at BKK go-go bars ... "
A bit of pretense to suggest anyone here (i.e. within the thread, or out of it) "loathes" Chinese folks. Not even close to fair commentary, painting all ~ or any, in terms of this particular topic ~ with that nasty brush.