PDA

View Full Version : New Expat Living in Chiang Mai

Letmeworshipit
August 23rd, 2015, 08:10
I am thrilled to be moving to Chiang Mai in the next week. I look forward to meeting local Thais, visitors and other expats for friendships, socialization and other activities. I will be staying at the Kantary Hills for several days while I look for a condo or house to rent. Great guy here who is committed to becoming a contributing member of the expat scene. :ymhug:

paulosussex
August 23rd, 2015, 11:04
Hi,
Good luck, it really is one of the nicest cities to live in long term. Food, ambience, climate are all great and I love my few winter months there each year. There are also some great apartments and houses so happy hunting.
Cheers

Khor tose
August 24th, 2015, 01:58
Congratulations, I think you have made a good choice. Right now because of the new liquor laws some of the clubs and bars are relocating. It is hard to offer any advice without knowing you, but I can help you meet gay locals and give you some tips. A lot of the locals start the evening at SOHO and then go on to Ram Bar. They can give you the most help on everything from boy finding to condo finding. Here are the local gay list/map etc. and the local farang newspaper. This farang paper is not only the Citynews but is also City Life, and City Now. Be sure to check the links at the tops of the page. Finally look out for Steve Yarnold, who is the photographer for this news outlet and ask him to put you on his events list. This will help you to get started.

http://www.travelgayasia.com/destinatio ... chiangmai/ (http://www.travelgayasia.com/destination/gay-thailand/gay-chiangmai/)
http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/

marti
August 24th, 2015, 13:52
Congratulations and welcome to Thailand. I do not live there but enjoy visiting there very much. Hope to meet you on one of those trips.

BonTong
August 24th, 2015, 20:24
Right now because of the new liquor laws some of the clubs and bars are relocating.
Really? Please do tell more.

Khor tose
August 25th, 2015, 04:26
Right now because of the new liquor laws some of the clubs and bars are relocating.

Yes, really. Now must be 300 feet from school. Here is a URL from Soho bar asking for help with this move. For any out there that have enjoyed SOHO and met the lovely ladies who run this bar, this would be a good time to show your appreciation. They do not need that much cash.

https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/1405014

PS There are other moves going on with some of the other gay places in town.

ddsfo
August 25th, 2015, 20:16
how do you expect to travel around? motosai or bicycle or _____ ?

when i first moved there a few years ago, i only used a bicycle and chose
to stay close to the center of town and some gay clubs in chang phuak.
the gay scene is changing with changing club and business locations.

what part of the town are you interested in living in ?

BonTong
August 26th, 2015, 14:21
[quote="Khor tose":g1hyb821]Right now because of the new liquor laws some of the clubs and bars are relocating.

Yes, really. Now must be 300 feet from school. Here is a URL from Soho bar asking for help with this move. For any out there that have enjoyed SOHO and met the lovely ladies who run this bar, this would be a good time to show your appreciation. They do not need that much cash.
[/quote:g1hyb821]
Actually, its 300M not feet (but we'll forgive you for being American ;) ) and, after much protest, the regulation has effectively been put on hold for six months. I posted further details in another thread.

For those who really support Shauna and Kradtai, would it not be better to do so by patronising the bar? Lack of customers seems to be the fundamental problem - crowd funding is not going to solve that.

Khor tose
August 29th, 2015, 00:00
Actually, its 300M not feet (but we'll forgive you for being American ;) ) and, after much protest, the regulation has effectively been put on hold for six months. I posted further details in another thread.

For those who really support Shauna and Kradtai, would it not be better to do so by patronising the bar? Lack of customers seems to be the fundamental problem - crowd funding is not going to solve that.

No just going to the bar is not enough. The girls are still moving and they still need helo to make the transition. I think I have some information that you do not have
about who, what, how and why of the moveS, and I do mean moves. Yes, I read your update and as soon as various people are willing to announce I will update it.