PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy First and Pinnacle

Wim888
August 7th, 2015, 18:35
Is Jimmy First still working as an agent for the Pinnacle and other gay-friendly hotels in Bangkok.
In the last week, I have emailed him several times, but have received no reply.

Manforallseasons
August 8th, 2015, 15:08
Jimmy had a stroke about 2 years ago his routine has changed a bit, I have gotten similar rates using Agoda and no joiners fee booking a double.

Up2U
August 8th, 2015, 15:55
I use Agoda too and pay using my credit card. I just found using Jimmy too much of a hassle (not replying to emails promptly, cash, time consuming to pay). Saving a 100 baht wasn't worth it. My last visit they had given him a desk in the lobby.

yaraboy
September 11th, 2015, 22:30
Just booked with Jimmy and he was slow in confirming so I have mentioned it to him. I like to support him as he has been helpful over the years

bruce_nyc
September 11th, 2015, 23:08
I've never heard of Jimmy. Nice to support him. But....

I use a 2 step process.

(1) I find the best rate / hotel on Agoda.

(2) I call the hotel directly and insist that they match the Agoda rate. ( They should since they save the Agoda fee. But if they won't, I choose a different hotel that will. )

I find that I have no hassles when I've booked *directly* with a hotel.

When I book through Agoda I have nothing but hassles. The hotel treats you like a second class guest. If you need to cancel..... or change dates... or even extend your stay at the same rate.... No way. You're out of luck. And God forbid you should have a problem with your booking. Their customer service is nonexistent. You'll have better luck arguing with a Coke vending machine.

Plus, I realy dislike hotels that give better rates to Agoda than they will give to their own longstanding direct customers ( even when they ask for it ). That's just wrong.... shortsighted and bad business.

September 12th, 2015, 06:47
When I book through Agoda I have nothing but hassles.
The worst (and only bad) experience I've had with Agoda concerned a Thai hotel (superfluous piece of information - of course it was a Thai hotel). I booked but didn't turn up (not even in Thailand at the time), but I had prepaid. I can't remember the exact deal, something to do with Agoda not paying the hotel until a guest had checked in. When I contacted Agoda they claimed the hotel had assured them that I had checked in and therefore Agoda had paid the hotel. Usual Land of Scams stuff.

Up2U
September 12th, 2015, 08:31
I just stayed at the Pinnacle using Agoda and paid with my credit card. The hotel room reeked with the smell of fresh paint but since it was a short stay I did not complain. The 14th floor was closed and under renovation. I know longer stay using Jimmy as the miniscule savings is not worth the hassle.

September 12th, 2015, 11:39
I'm told there's some sort of sauna in the Pinnacle Hotel occasionally frequented by young Thai guys. Any truth in the rumour?

Brad the Impala
September 12th, 2015, 16:11
I booked but didn't turn up (not even in Thailand at the time), but I had prepaid. I can't remember the exact deal

Most booking sites on a prepay deal would charge at least one night for a no show.

scottish-guy
September 12th, 2015, 18:28
In my experience, pre-pay deals are almost always non-cancellable - pre-payment and non-cancellation being the price of securing a better rate.

In those circumstances, if you don't show up how can you possibly expect anything to be refunded?

:-o

bruce_nyc
September 12th, 2015, 21:00
That is why I book directly and insist that the hotel give me the same rate as Agoda. Another advantage: I don't have to prepay. Most hotels do require a credit card to "guarantee" any arrival after 3pm. But some in Thailand don't even require that...... especially in low season.

What if one night at that hotel is so *horrible* I want to change hotels.... and I've already paid Agoda for 5 nights!? I'm so screwed. This has happened to me more than a few times. X(

September 13th, 2015, 04:44
I booked but didn't turn up (not even in Thailand at the time), but I had prepaid. I can't remember the exact deal

Most booking sites on a prepay deal would charge at least one night for a no show.
You don't say, Richard! That, however, would not have been noteworthy.

Brad the Impala
September 13th, 2015, 06:12

So why are you blaming Agoda for charging you, and citing this as a bad experience with them and a hotel scam?

September 13th, 2015, 09:33
So why are you blaming Agoda for charging you, and citing this as a bad experience with them and a hotel scam?
Jeez Richard Washington must really be rotting what's left of the grey matter. "Not noteworthy" means if the circumstances you describe were the ones that applied, I wouldn't have bothered noting the incident. No wonder Selina's election campaign's encountered so many problems

lonelywombat
September 13th, 2015, 12:59

Who is Richard?????

Brad the Impala
September 13th, 2015, 13:40
Jeez Richard Washington must really be rotting what's left of the grey matter. "Not noteworthy" means if the circumstances you describe were the ones that applied, I wouldn't have bothered noting the incident. No wonder Selina's election campaign's encountered so many problems

Didn't manage to answer the question, why am I surprised!

bruce_nyc
September 13th, 2015, 14:41
I've booked on Agoda for 5 nights at a hotel. ......then had to cancel.

Agoda kept all 5 nights.

Agoda blames the hotel, saying it's up to the hotel.

The hotel blames Agoda, saying it's up to Agoda and Agoda charged you, not us.

I never use middlemen any more. Use those sites to find the best airline / flight / hotel / price .......but then book *direct* with the airline or hotel.

Brad the Impala
September 13th, 2015, 14:53
When I book through Agoda I have nothing but hassles.
The worst (and only bad) experience I've had with Agoda concerned a Thai hotel (superfluous piece of information - of course it was a Thai hotel). I booked but didn't turn up (not even in Thailand at the time), but I had prepaid. I can't remember the exact deal, something to do with Agoda not paying the hotel until a guest had checked in. When I contacted Agoda they claimed the hotel had assured them that I had checked in and therefore Agoda had paid the hotel. Usual Land of Scams stuff.

So seems like it's a completely normal practice, world wide, barely even noteworthy, and nothing to do with the fact that it was a Thai hotel "of course" or the usual "land of scams" stuff.

Just normal traveller stuff.

bruce_nyc
September 13th, 2015, 15:11
Keeping 1 night for a complete no show on a guaranteed reservation is normal.

Keeping all 5 nights is despicable and unethical..... as Agoda does.

If I had booked 5 nights directly with the hotel, the most they would charge me is 1 night, for a no show...... if even that....

And most likely, I wouldn't have been asked to pay in advance at all.

I call Ambiance in Pattaya directly and ask the best rate they have for *today*. They tell me. I tell them about what time I'll arrive. Done. That's the way hotel bookings should work. No need for middlemen websites to take my money in advance and refuse all refunds No Matter What happens.

dinagam
September 13th, 2015, 16:24
With booking.com you only pay upon checking in. And their last-minute rates are very competitive.

bruce_nyc
September 13th, 2015, 16:38
Do you still have to pay for all 5 nights upon checkin?

I won't do that. I pay one night at a time...... to be sure I'm happy with the place. ( or pay for all nights upon *checkout* )

scottish-guy
September 13th, 2015, 16:39
My dear Sirs

These are the sort of problems that this "internet" contrivance has created.

Why oh why can we not got back to the days when one arrived in Thailand by ship and simply had one's luggage trunks and hat boxes conveyed to the hotel to which one had sent a letter of confirmation several weeks before?

It all worked prefectly well when travel was quite rightly restricted to those of a certain class and airlines and hotels knew their place.

I remain

Lady Sniffington-Minge
Rodgerham Hall,
Uppingham.

dinagam
September 13th, 2015, 17:13
Bruce,
To protect your interest, it would be a good idea to make two bookings, firstly for the first night, and the second one for subsequent nights.
If for any reason you're not satisfied on first impression, you could always get back to booking.com to change to another property on the second booking.
Their rates are definitely lower than hotel's rack rates, or walk-in rates even with discounts thrown in.

September 14th, 2015, 03:59
Didn't manage to answer the question, why am I surprised!
I'm trying to keep you "in character", Richard

Brad the Impala
September 14th, 2015, 04:25
Who is Richard?????

One of Kommie's little fantasies that he wheels out as a diversionary tactic when he can't back up some silly statement that he has made.

lonelywombat
September 14th, 2015, 06:53
Who is Richard?????

One of Kommie's little fantasies that he wheels out as a diversionary tactic when he can't back up some silly statement that he has made.
Perhaps if he wants to use other peoples names, he should be honest and give us his real name

September 14th, 2015, 09:46
Who is Richard?????
try searching YouTube for "Jonah and Richard Veep"

September 14th, 2015, 13:36
Who is Richard?????One of Kommie's little fantasies that he wheels out as a diversionary tactic when he can't back up some silly statement that he has made.You're confusing my behaviour in general with my complete contempt for you as a human being.

Brad the Impala
September 14th, 2015, 14:13
Who is Richard?????One of Kommie's little fantasies that he wheels out as a diversionary tactic when he can't back up some silly statement that he has made.You're confusing my behaviour in general with my complete contempt for you as a human being.

Surely your behaviour in general reflects your contempt in general for every human being. Most notably when gloating over the plight of Syrian and other refugees in Greece that reduced rent boy prices while you were there.

And of refugees themselves? The guys are still all available, at 20 Euros a go.
http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/greek-odyssey-t32518.html

September 14th, 2015, 17:16
Most notably when gloating over the plight of Syrian and other refugees in Greece that reduced rent boy prices while you were there.A liar to the end - there's nothing in my post to suggest that prices were reduced

September 15th, 2015, 03:57
Nothing yet, Richatd? Far be it from me to suggest your self-righteousness has lead you to infer something the plain meaning of the words does not support?

bruce_nyc
September 15th, 2015, 15:08
Bruce,
To protect your interest, it would be a good idea to make two bookings, firstly for the first night, and the second one for subsequent nights.
If for any reason you're not satisfied on first impression, you could always get back to booking.com to change to another property on the second booking.
Their rates are definitely lower than hotel's rack rates, or walk-in rates even with discounts thrown in.

But I think I would have to pay in advance, or at least provide a credit card in advance, for the additional nights. No?

If I book directly I can often book for as many nights as I want without paying in advance. Some hotels will require a credit card to guarantee for a late check in. ..... only if I plan to arrive after 6 p.m. But they would never charge me more than one night if I don't show up.

Once a hotel in New York City tried to charge me an "early check out fee" because I only stayed there one night. I told off the manager and they reversed the charge. ( The reason I was checking out after only one night is because the hotel was horrible. )

dinagam
September 15th, 2015, 16:39
bruce,
you don't have to pay in advance, but your credit card will be billed if you don't show up.
you only pay by cash or cards upon checking in.
this is when the two bookings come in handy.

if for any reason you don't like the hotel or neighborhood, you can use the second booking to change to another property and quarter... again no advance payment.
those with lots of cash to launder will find this arrangement to be very convenient indeed.

bruce_nyc
September 15th, 2015, 16:51
But if I must give them my credit card..... and they charge me if I cancel.... That's pretty much the same as charging me in advance. No?

I'd rather reserve a room directly with a hotel.... with no credit card offered. Then confirm or cancel later, once I know for sure.... like the morning of the check-in day.

September 15th, 2015, 17:31
But if I must give them my credit card..... and they charge me if I cancel.... That's pretty much the same as charging me in advance. No? I'm pretty certain that none of them charge your credit card, even a cent, until either you check in or you fail to check in and they then try to charge it.

I always give them a number - hell, why piss them off - but it's the number of a card I gave up some years back. They don't refer to that card when I do check in, as I've already got one to hand over. They can only verify that it's a valid, unexpired card (as opposed to a valid credit card number - there are well known algorithms to check that) when they try to charge something to it. It's a technique that has never failed me. As in so many things in life, it's a game of bluff and you only have to know how to play it

bkkguy
September 15th, 2015, 19:03
I'm pretty certain that none of them charge your credit card, even a cent, until either you check in or you fail to check in and they then try to charge it....They can only verify that it's a valid, unexpired card (...) when they try to charge something to it.

I'm pretty certain most businesses, including hotels, that accept credit/debit cards know how to make an authorisation hold or a pre-authorisation (there are many different terms used for the same concept) against a credit/debit card without making an actual charge to check that the card is valid and has funds available - it is part of the basic fundamentals of credit card transactions!

they may make this for just the charge for one night for a multi-night booking or even for just $1, or even do a pre-authorisation on check-in against possible mini-bar expenses, trashing the room, etc, or they may not bother if they perceive the risk is minimal for a particular booking

how much they do the pre-authorisation for, and how long they take to release it are a common bone of contention for customers

bkkguy

wunnie
September 29th, 2015, 10:13
I have used jimmy a lot over the years. But like many others stopped when he became too much of a hassle. I also felt sorry for him and tried him again last week. I got a very good deal and he was reasonably quick in replying. It is also easier to pay him as he has a desk in the lobby and is usually there