PDA

View Full Version : Telling foreigners the truth, or let it slide?

cdnmatt
August 3rd, 2015, 03:59
Many of us have been in positions where we meet other expats who aren't as knowledgeable. Do you tell them the truth, or just ignore it, and let it go?

For example, some foreigners don't know things like Thailand has universal health care, and it's a 30 baht user fee to see a doctor, regardless if it's for 10 minutes or a month. Then the wife is saying it's 70,000 for health costs per-year, which I know full well is bullshit. Do you tell them, or let it slide in order to not wreck the relationship?

thaiguest
August 3rd, 2015, 04:17
Manyve been in positions where we meet other expats who revelation knowledgeable. Do you tell them the truth, or just ignore it, and let it go?

For example, some foreigners don't know things like Thailand has universal health care, and it's a 30 baht user fee to see a doctor, regardless if it's for 10 minutes or a month. Then the wife is saying it's 70,000 for health costs per-year, which I know full well is bullshit. Do you tell them, or let it slide in order to not wreck the relationship?
You won't be wrecking the relationship merely hastening its demise. This particular revelation will be only one of a thousand cuts the farang will have to endure to attain true enlightenment.

Dodger
August 3rd, 2015, 04:42
cdmatt wrote:

Then the wife is saying it's 70,000 for health costs per-year, which I know full well is bullshit. Do you tell them, or let it slide in order to not wreck the relationship?

Actually, it may be better to explore all the facts before saying anything.

Thailands Universal Healthcare Scheme only covers Thai nationals in State sponsored hospitals which are commonly referred to by the Thais as "Places Where People go to Die". The State sponsored hospitals certainly serve a purpose for those with minor injurioes - but for anyone with a serious chronic condition these filthy shit holes are about as useful as a screen door in a submarine.

I have first-hand knowledge of the quality of care provided at Chonburi and Banglamung Hospitals, both of which are State sponsored (Free) hospitals and believe me once you walk in you know why they're free. The wife in the case may be telling the truth, if in fact she's paying for good health care coverage.

August 3rd, 2015, 06:50
:-* I sometimes wonder about the motives of people who sidle up to their friends and acquaintances with some piece of "information" that they're reluctantly going to impart because "I have your best interests at heart"

Often this is of the "your boyfriend is cheating on you" variety - to which my response is usually "If you have that mind-set that it's "cheating" I should bloody well hope so because I'm certainly "cheating" on him"

BonTong
August 3rd, 2015, 15:55
My understanding of the health care scheme is it is only available to those paying social insurance contributions and is not "universal". When you are registered to pay contributions by your employer (or voluntarily) you get assigned to a particular hospital (with some choice) and get a membership card, it is not just state hospitals but some private hospitals are in the scheme and funded by the government. e.g. Several of my staff in Chiang Mai opted to use Lanna Hospital, which is private, and have got reasonable care. BTW, this is also available to legally employed foreigners paying social insurance.

I'm not sure what other free/30Bt care available outside the social insurance scheme specifically at the government hospital where a Thai lives (i.e where they are registered on a Tabienban - housebook). But, as stated by Dodger, the level of care in these places is not great.

cdnmatt
August 3rd, 2015, 22:07
Yeah, found out it's private hospitals, so that makes sense. I don't know, I'll just stay out of it, and hope him the best with a smile, mainly due to the fact there's a 6 year old kid involved. I'm pretty sure she's taking him though, because it doesn't cost that much to live in Khon Kaen. He knows it too, but isn't willing to admit it to himself.

I spend about 50,000/month, and that's me being totally careless about money, eating Australian rib-eye @ 1500/kg, Chilean red wine, buying my dogs cooked ducks for dinner, and so on. He's a really good guy though, and don't want to see him hurt, that's all.

francois
August 4th, 2015, 03:06
What, no Red Caviar and Moet & Chandon Champagne to accompany your meal? And no foie-gras for the dog?

roguebear
August 4th, 2015, 08:13
If truth be told, I spend a lot of time and money to fly to the other side of the world to be lied to by boys with asses to die for...let it slide...

cdnmatt
August 4th, 2015, 11:17
If truth be told, I spend a lot of time and money to fly to the other side of the world to be lied to by boys with asses to die for...let it slide...

Aye. I won't bother harping on it anymore. It's just he's a really nice guy, and doesn't even know things like you can extend a tourist VISA by 30 days within Thailand, etc. He tells me how much he's sending his wife, and it just doesn't make sense. Again, it's so cheap to live here I don't budget myself in the least, and I'm still only at 50k/month. That's the main reason I'm still here -- this lifestyle in say Vancouver would cost me about 250k/month. So no idea how she's managing to blow through the amount she is.

Finally found a gik though, and yes, ass to die for, and absolute sweetheart too. Think on the inside he might be a low level thief though. Wouldn't surprise me, I don't know how to pick them worth shit. I'm assuming there's a reason he wanted me to fall asleep though.

Also know of an excellent short time hotel in KK now if anyone ever needs it. Always knew it was there, but never tried it until last night. Huge hotel with at least 200 rooms, 400 baht, comes with room service, and the rooms are surprisingly really nice. I was expecting a shit hole, but no -- nice king sized bed, extremley clean, plasma HDTV mounted on the wall, good A/C, excellent water pressure in the shower, etc. They each even come with a little drive way with curtain so you can hide your vehicle from your wife. Welcome to Thailand. :-)

BonTong
August 5th, 2015, 03:41
They each even come with a little drive way with curtain so you can hide your vehicle from your wife.
In Thai they are known as "man root" literally meaning curtain hotel, or similar. Very common in Chiang Mai, several near where I live, and yes mainly Thai clientele. Could tell some interesting stories....

cdnmatt
August 5th, 2015, 05:58
Oh yeah, there it is. Ñ€â•£Ð’Ñ€â••Ð³Ñ€â••Ð—Ñ€â•£Ð‘Ñ€â••Ð³Ñ€â••Ð±Ñ€â••Ð±Ñ €â•£Ð˜Ñ€â••â–“р╕Щр╕гр╕╣р╕Ф (literally "curtain motel"). Learn something new every day.

http://thai-language.com/id/215186

I don't know, I'm not very well versed on this whole gik thing, as that was the first time I ever did it, aside from times in Pattaya. Obviously giks are quite common though, because that hotel was huge, and it's just one of many around here.

Manforallseasons
August 5th, 2015, 11:39
When possible say nothing people want their own fantasy regardless of the financial or emotional cost, inevitably they "shoot the messenger".

christianpfc
August 18th, 2015, 12:31
400 Baht for short time hotel in Khon Kaen sounds very expensive.

I can get room as you describe for 260 in Bangkok: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/1 ... ngkok.html (http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/12/short-time-hotels-in-bangkok.html)

scottish-guy
August 18th, 2015, 13:18
Thanks for the blog photos Christian - I certainly never saw a short-time room complete with a Gynaecologist's chair before!!!! :))

Also, the hotel where the short-time rooms are decorated like a kindergarten playroom (traffic lights, phone booth doors) will no doubt appeal to those with certain predelictions. :-o