View Full Version : What happened to Rush's blog?

peeseua
July 14th, 2015, 08:20
I just tried to take a look at the Dancing With The Devil blog and couldn't access it. I got a notice that the signup page has been changed.

I hope Rush is all right.

Any news, Surfcrest?

christianpfc
July 14th, 2015, 10:19
Same here, my browser redirects to
http://sawatdeenetwork.com/wp-signup.ph ... d-blog.com (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/wp-signup.php?new=bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com)
and that gives
The signup page location has been changed.

I became aware of this a few days ago here:
http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic ... log/page-2 (http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/7987-do-you-like-the-writing-style-in-the-bangkokbois-blog/page-2)

Surfcrest
July 14th, 2015, 11:56
Friends,

I can tell you that the last time I heard from Rush was way back on April 16th when his computer died and he needed access back to his site. His last sign in to Sawatdee Network was on Friday April 17th...as Rush,Yet Again.

His site is still hosted on the Sawtdee Network, but I see the URL isn't presently active as so I suspect something may have expired. This is all I can tell you right now...but if I hear anything from him, I will let you all know!

Surfcrest

peeseua
July 14th, 2015, 21:48
Thanks for the update.

kram987
July 15th, 2015, 14:44
I hope he decides to restart his blog, but I think it has been long enough he has probably moved on.

Smiles
July 15th, 2015, 16:02
I hope he decides to restart his blog, but I think it has been long enough he has probably moved on.
I tend to agree with that. His blog was very popular but very ~ and this is an assumption ~ labour intensive: all that writing, all that searching for photographs, all that thinking about the next 'original' thoughts on the Thai world of sexual and social desires. Add to that answering of commentary posts, and fiddling around with the 'look' and general ambiance of the site. Takes a huge amount of personal energy, and I wouldn't blame him whatsoever for taking a very long time out ... perhaps permanently.

a447
July 15th, 2015, 20:26
I also hope he starts up again, although given the amount of work involved, as highlighted by Smiles, I can understand if he decided not to.

I loved reading his blog - it was informative yet humourous at the same time. Rush has an excellent understanding of Thailand was able to write about it in a very unique way.

Here's hoping we have not seen the last of him.

christianpfc
July 19th, 2015, 12:30
I hope he decides to restart his blog, ...
You guys are very optimistic. I think it's not a case of just stopping blogging (and participating in forum and answering email), I would guess he is unable to do so (excuse me being pessimistic: hospital, prison or dead; something more than a computer failure). I guess he would not just stop and let us leave wondering what happened. I can confirm it's an awful lot of work to post as much as he did.

We have the following blogs that expired (about 2010-2014):
gayboythailand (used to be a poster here before my time) stopped blogging to move on with his life, simply didn't pay hosting fees (my assumption)
pinkvn (a blog about gay life in vietnam) owner moved on, didn't have time (his goodbye message on blog)
shamelessmack (nobody knows, but the blog went private, i.e. he made it private, it wasn't an accident)

There is one way I can think of to find out what happened: track down his "bar boy friend and current love of my life" Noom who is in email contact with Rush's friends according to his blog.

fountainhall
July 19th, 2015, 13:16
None of use will really know until Rush himself provides the reason. But I agree with Christian and Smiles, writing a blog that went into so much intricate detail about so many aspects of life in Thailand and nearby must have taken a vast amount of time. When you travel constantly and have time to kill at airports and on planes, it's relatively easy. If you have to spend part of each day on it and at the same time hold down a high-end job, it must become increasingly difficult. Plus he had covered such a vast array of subjects, perhaps he just needed a break to recharge the little grey cells!

christianpfc
July 20th, 2015, 15:21
writing a blog...vast amount of time. When you travel constantly and have time to kill at airports and on planes, it's relatively easy....perhaps he just needed a break to recharge the little grey cells!
I compose all my posts at home, on my laptop (I need a keyboard, access to internet and access to pictures stored on my computer, I couldn't do this on a tablet when traveling). Don't know how and where Rush composed his posts.

If he just needed a break, he would have told us.

A_Maat2013
July 25th, 2015, 07:31
Rush's blog was always the best. He saw the place with clear eyes. I also think he has enough nous to know that he'd said all that needed to be said. It is odd he just disappeared though - I posted a 'hope you're well' comment back in April and it never came off waiting moderator.

Maybe he just lost interest. Personally, from the moment that buffoon Suthep Thueaksuban appeared on the scene and was touted as the voice of the Thai elites I just started losing respect and interest in the place.

I'll probably visit Thailand again and I'm still happily sending 2,000 baht a month to the guy I met but it's just for old times sake. Nothing more.

Anyway..............Rush's blog and Rush himself in replies to my emails just nailed it I reckon. I'm still grateful. I hope he's going well.

christianpfc
August 3rd, 2015, 14:12
I just found that http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/ still works. Last entries are here:
http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2015/04/ and from there you can work your way backwards if you are looking for something.

Whereas bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com/ leads to error message as above and
https://bangkokbois.wordpress.com/ has been suspended.

This sudden disappearance (first of Rush, then his blog being unavailable on the net) leads to the question: what happens to your blog or forum when you are unable to take care of it (to spell it out: severe illness, prison or death)?

My blog is on blogspot, I guess it will stay for eternity (not hosting fees have to be paid).

Wait, it's not that easy! Recently I got a warning for an offending picture (penis with mooks) which I subsequently removed. If I hadn't read the message and taken action, they might have suspended my blog.

What would have happened to SGT if the previous owner had died before he sold it? A realistic scenario, with these events about a year apart.

scottish-guy
August 3rd, 2015, 17:32
.....What would have happened to SGT if the previous owner had died before he sold it?...

Well, it would have been sad to lose SGT - but in that particular situation one ought to think of the greater good.

:ymparty:

bruce_nyc
December 5th, 2015, 21:14
Wow. This definitely does not sound like the normal actions of a guy who has been so open, so public, and so devoted to his blog and his fans for so many years.

I am really concerned.

Has anyone heard anything?

I had been in correspondence with him a few times over the years. I just sent him an email.

I know that he was always pretty protective of his identity and privacy. I vaguely remember him telling me that someone may have connected his real identity to his blog. But I don't really remember now.

Has anyone here ever met him?

Surfcrest
December 6th, 2015, 03:27
I've hosted his blog for a few years and even I didn't know or didn't need to know his identity. He's been a member here for even longer than the blog, Rush Yet Again. He hasn't logged in since April of earlier this year and I believe his domain name has now expired, although his site continues to live on as an off shoot of the Sawatdee Network until I finally pull the pin on it some day.

Surfcrest

Smiles
December 6th, 2015, 03:39
Very odd indeed was his leave-taking. He certainly seemed to be in a rush to take a powder.
No explanation of any kind to, apparently, anybody. Strange that not a single person has a clue to the reasons why he would go away. My original thought was that he was just simply tired of the work needed to keep a very large blog filled with new perspectives on gay Thailand [and other Asian countries as well]. That I can easily understand.
But, now I think perhaps a more dramatic reason. I do miss his blog.

Tobi
December 6th, 2015, 04:37
I miss his blog too. You can access it here still, but you have to manually modify the urls if you click a link. It did seem odd that Rush just disappeared, I know there was some speculation elsewhere about a picture he posted, but I also recall towards the end he asked readers for donations for Noom, his boyfriend, and raised something like 100,000 baht on his behalf, which with hindsight looks like he might have been planning to stop blogging.

Smiles
December 6th, 2015, 13:47
Perhaps Bruce_NYC has an handy conspiracy theory regarding this. George Soros and his minions maybe? (Bitcoin theology also may make an appearance.)

bruce_nyc
December 6th, 2015, 15:28
This makes me profoundly sad.

Not ( only ) because of the loss of his writing as much..... But that I fear for his life.

Tobi, I wasn't aware of his last minute fundraiser. Anyone who sent him a donation have any information about where you sent the money to....?

Tobi
December 6th, 2015, 16:03
Anyone who sent him a donation have any information about where you sent the money to....?

edited

bkkmfj2648
December 7th, 2015, 02:33
I hope it is not true what I saw in the internet....
if you open the above paypal link I will show you the name of the account owner for the donations to Noom.
then unfortunately the "whois" feature about domain names
identifies the same name as on the paypal link, which is then linked to an obituary of the same named person on 23 Nov 2015.
Let's hope that this is all wrong.
if it is true - then it is a GREAT loss - as I truly adored Rush and his excellent bangkokbois blog.
The next time I go to LOS I will try to hunt down Noom - but if the paypal donation thing did truly raise 100,000 baht for Noom, then it may be impossible to find him in BKK.

Mancs
December 7th, 2015, 03:24
Rush asked for donations on July 8th, 2014, here:
http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2014/07/08/p-s-please-send-money/

The goal of sponsorship for bodybuilding doesn't sound that serious. This is an extract of what he says.

"Instead, IтАЩm thinking that one of his desires IтАЩve studiously ignored in the past is a sponsorship for entering the senior division of body-building competitions. That would go a long way to feeding his ego. Which is ravenous. And would require he keep his body in tip-top shape. So IтАЩd benefit too. Plus it would lay a good groundwork for the future argument that the best way he could thank his sponsors would be a steady stream of photos of his bodyтАЩs progress. Preferably nude ones. Which sounds like a win/win proposition to me.If youтАЩve enjoyed reading this blog, have come to lub Noom as much as I have, or have found the information provided here useful or the large amounts of snark mildly humorous, then itтАЩs time to show your lub by sending some cash."

He said in the same month that Noom was working at Zeus -(Soi Twilight?)

Tobi
December 7th, 2015, 03:42
It was 70,000, my bad. http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/ ... -the-gift/ (http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2014/12/15/i-fell-in-love-with-a-bar-boy-the-gift/) It was a year ago this month.

RonanTheBarbarian
December 7th, 2015, 04:48
I hope it is not true what I saw in the internet....
if you open the above paypal link I will show you the name of the account owner for the donations to Noom.
then unfortunately the "whois" feature about domain names

Not sure where you are getting that from, bkkmfj - that domain name is registered (according to your link) to "Perfect Privacy LLC", which is a company that people use to make sure their name does not come up in "whois" searches.

Where do you see an named individual?

scottish-guy
December 7th, 2015, 06:22
Ditto - there is no mention of the named Mr edited on the link provided, plus I can find no obituary notice from November in that name either.

:-\

monsoon
December 7th, 2015, 11:56
Hi Guys,

Sorry to introduce myself in this fashion; long time lurker here and I was also a big fan of Rush's blog from the very beginning, commenting on there often. I just did a search on the name that I had from his old business site that I had bookmarked ages ago to see what he did with all those gemstones from those hilarious buying trips of his. Anyway the sad upshot of that is that I can confirm what bkkmfj said, there is indeed an obituary in the Modesto Bee dated Dec. 3, 2015 (3 days ago curiously) stating that he died Nov 23. There are enough other links to that named person to make me believe it was indeed him, including an article about his brother passing away from a motorcycle crash,(which he mentioned on his blog), and also a bit of a sad piece on his elderly mother, who he was primary caregiver for, and seems to have fallen through the family cracks temporarily with his passing.

RIP Rush.

bkkmfj2648
December 7th, 2015, 12:21
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that you have to use the Google cache feature when performing the whois search and you will see.
open a Google search session
type the following 2 keywords: bangkokbois
click search and the Google historical cache function will display the whois historical link

RIP Rush

Tobi
December 7th, 2015, 14:18
http://fox40.com/2015/11/25/ceres-polic ... -lost-son/ (http://fox40.com/2015/11/25/ceres-police-officer-buys-groceries-for-elderly-woman-who-recently-lost-son/)

a447
December 7th, 2015, 14:33
Thanks, Tobi, for the link.

How sad. I'd never met him, and we did cross swords a couple of times here on the forum, but I greatly admired his intellect, wit and wicked sense of humour displayed on his wonderful blog.

RIP

Jellybean
December 7th, 2015, 16:30
Thanks to Tobi, bkkmfj2648 and monsoon for your posts and the links.

I too enjoyed reading RushтАЩs Blog. I particularly enjoyed his Sunday Funnies. IтАЩm sure he will be missed by many on this forum.

I felt especially sorry for RushтАЩs elderly mother. I sincerely hope that local social services will be able to take care of her now that her son is gone.

RIP Rush

scottish-guy
December 7th, 2015, 16:38
There are significant inconsitencies in the linked article which raise doubts as to whether it's the "right" person.

However, assuming it is - as a447 rightly says, Rush will be missed. RIP

We should also be discreet - I'm not sure how the American press behaves, but if it's anything like the UK tabloids then the last thing his mother needs is to be confronted with his predilections and online "alter-ego".

Maybe Surfcrest might consider removing the links (and my foolish mention of the surname) - and since he clearly had business dealings with Rush, perhaps he can confirm his demise or otherwise?
okay

francois
December 7th, 2015, 16:43
According to the article Russell lived with his 90 yo mother for the past 10 years. Is it possible that Rush was not Russell or possible that Rush lived a fantasy life on-line? Did anyone ever meet him? Was his bf a real person that anyone met? Did he ever live in Bangkok?

Not surprising if that were the truth since there are others on this forum who are not whom they present themselves.

Surfcrest
December 7th, 2015, 16:58
According to the article Russell lived with his 90 yo mother for the past 10 years. Is it possible that Rush was not Russell or possible that Rush lived a fantasy life on-line? Did anyone ever meet him? Was his bf a real person that anyone met? Did he ever live in Bangkok?

Not surprising if that were the truth since there are others on this forum who are not whom they present themselves.
This all seems more or less what I've known of Russ through Russ himself. The more his stories bloomed, the more real they became...or perhaps they were real all along and became more real in their telling. I can remove the surname, I never knew it until now...I did know him privately as Russ.

I always expected him to drop back one day after another crazy adventure. I find some of my Sawatdee friends do that from time to time. I also knew it might someday lead to this story, again based on what little he's shared with me over the years. He was like the tenant that lived in the apartment over the garage, with the private entrance and no need for rent. It was my pleasure to host the bangkokbois in the final years :)

Surfcrest

Tobi
December 7th, 2015, 18:25

If you read his blog, he never claimed to be living in Thailand. He visited, mainly for business, and documented his extra-curricular activities whilst there, along with his photography and opinions on everything from sports to monks and his long-distance relationship with Noom. Just because someone acts as a primary caregiver, doesn't mean they don't get to have a life outside of that role too.

RonanTheBarbarian
December 8th, 2015, 02:02
Now it has been confirmed, I would like to add my words of regret at Russ's passing.

His blog, while occasionally it could be a bit aggravating to some perhaps, never failed to amuse.
Some of his stories, such as the one about introducing a couple of his friends to the delights of Chiang Mai,or dealing with the dragon
-woman Chinese jewellery dealer in Bangkok, will stick in my memory.

And he could take a good photo as well.

dab69
December 8th, 2015, 08:40
missed seeing the original request for donations, but left wondering what may have happened
between then,the end of his blogging, and his recent demise around Thanksgiving of this year.

Guess we already know more than we were actually entitled to though.
Learned a lot from his blog.

Wonder if Noom has found out? I hope he is well.

http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2012/01/ubiquitous-plastic-stool-shot-6.jpg

(borrowed from his blog)

francois
December 8th, 2015, 15:27
If you read his blog, he never claimed to be living in Thailand. He visited, mainly for business, and documented his extra-curricular activities whilst there, along with his photography and opinions on everything from sports to monks and his long-distance relationship with Noom. Just because someone acts as a primary caregiver, doesn't mean they don't get to have a life outside of that role too.

You are quite right Tobi. I was not a regular reader of his blog so was not knowledgeable of any of his personal business nor his relationship with Noom. Many of his blogs were so interesting and informative I just assumed he was a long term resident of Bangkok. His writings were so descriptive of persons and adventures and witty especially the Turtle Ass Awards it seemed he personally knew his subjects. He once wrote a type of obituary for the oldest performing kathoey in Bangkok that was wonderful, yet his own obit was nothing more than his age and date of his death.

One article I did find mentioned he was self employed and sold wind chimes and jewelry. There was even a photo of him. If anyone interested they can PM me.

christianpfc
December 9th, 2015, 08:44
I believe his domain name has now expired, although his site continues to live on as an off shoot of the Sawatdee Network until I finally pull the pin on it some day.
(my underline)
What a weird idea! If anything prevents you from further hosting of bangkokbois, raise the issue here and I'm sure the membership will come up with a solution to keep bangkokbois online.

francois
December 9th, 2015, 09:55
. I can remove the surname, I never knew it until now...I did know him privately as Russ.
Surfcrest

It seems likely that his on-line name Rush may have been a combo of first and last name, RUS+H.

Surfcrest
December 9th, 2015, 15:02
It seems likely that his on-line name Rush may have been a combo of first and last name, RUS+H.
He was a very interesting man, very articulate. We may never know why he chose the user name Rush, Yet Again.
Russ dropped off the radar map back in April of this year...I was helping him get back online after his domain name expired.
He told me that his computer went on the fritz, that he hadn't been well and he needed a little time to plug Bangkokbois back online.
When this thread started on July 13th I sent him an email with the link to the thread.
I never heard from him.

(my underline)
What a weird idea! If anything prevents you from further hosting of bangkokbois, raise the issue here and I'm sure the membership will come up with a solution to keep bangkokbois online.
Excellent question Christian. Bangkokbois still remains on our server and connected to the Sawatdee Network. When Rush and the Bangkokbois were suspended from Wordpress hosting, I moved them over to the Sawatdee Network and just put a re-direct on the http://www.bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com URL. If I could redirect that URL back to the Sawatdee Network, you should be able to view it as before, although there won't be any new updates.

When I dissolve the Network, move us from our current unshared server and disconnect the WP Pro, only Sawatdee Network will remain. Bangkokbois is part of the WP Pro package. Until that happens, Bangkokbois can still be viewed here at: http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/

I can't imagine the new owner or administrator wanting to keep the WP Pro with the extra monthly costs and the amount of space it eats up. If I pass the site over to someone new before I detach the WP Pro, it will be up to the new administrator to decide if he wants to keep it or not. It does require a certain amount of time to maintain and then there's the monthly costs of it.

That's where it may be complicated to keep, but I'll think about other options in the meantime.

Surfcrest

bruce_nyc
December 10th, 2015, 13:05
Surf, I would be honored to commit to hosting a permanent copy of Russ' bangkokbois blog. I have an unlimited hosting account and capacity is no issue. His blog deserves to be hosted in perpetuity. I will do that. ( If more than one copy exists, that's not a bad thing either. )

Reading these old emails..... They feel like I just received them yesterday.

Hey Bruce:

Happy New Year!

Sounds like it will be since you and E___ will be reunited with A___ in
just a few days. Geeze - but leaving on Valentine's day??? You are so
gonna break that poor boy's heart!

I'll be in SE Asia for the lunar new year this year, so our paths may
cross. Just not sure which days we'll be in BKK since Noom and I will
be travelling about a bit too. If you have a set schedule for your
time, let me know . . .

Ciao-
Rush

Damn, I miss you, Rush.

( We never met in person. )

bruce_nyc
December 10th, 2015, 13:07
Did the obituary say the cause of death...?

Surfcrest
December 10th, 2015, 14:08
Surf, I would be honored to commit to hosting a permanent copy of Russ' bangkokbois blog. I have an unlimited hosting account and capacity is no issue. His blog deserves to be hosted in perpetuity. I will do that. ( If more than one copy exists, that's not a bad thing either. )

Reading these old emails..... They feel like I just received them yesterday.

That's very nice of you Bruce, I'd still have to figure out how to do that. I think the media is stored on my site, which is why it isn't viewable. If you have some suggestions on how we could do this, please let me know! I had wanted to keep the personal site that jinks had with all those old photos, but wasn't able to figure that out before it expired.

Surfcrest

christianpfc
December 10th, 2015, 14:36
from Sawatdee Network Update topic34955.html (http://sawatdeenetwork.com/forum/topic34955.html)

I've dissolved most of the Network, although Bangkokbois will remain on our site for the time being. I'll probably be moving us off this server over the coming 6 months in order to reduce the monthly costs...I can't guarantee I'll be able to hold on to Bangkokbois after that, but I'll let you know first before I disconnect it.
I just noticed most pictures on http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2015/04/ are missing. This must have been caused by recent changes (I clearly remember in September all pictures were in place, haven't checked since then).

Surfcrest
December 10th, 2015, 16:59
I just noticed most pictures on http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2015/04/ are missing. This must have been caused by recent changes (I clearly remember in September all pictures were in place, haven't checked since then).
Fortunately, they are all still there when I go into the site through the Admin portal. Where the phpBB software that runs the Board is fairly simple to navigate through, the WP Pro is anything but. I'm amazed that I've figured out on my own how to do what I've learned to do both with that and through Google Tools. I actually had to dedicate a couple of weeks to resolving a serious glitch in the WP Pro that almost took all the sites down last February. Now that Russ is gone, I'll go in to his site through his Admin Portal and see if I can't plug some buttons back in.

Surfcrest

bruce_nyc
December 13th, 2015, 14:48
Let's talk more about how to do this offline, Surf. We can figure it out.

If it's just a Wordpress site, it shouldn't be that difficult to rebuild. But if we can get all of the data together, I can even hire a Wordpress expert to put it all back together... on my host. I would love to see it back up again..... as if he never left. And then it can be backed up to several backup sites for safety.

The photos are an essential part of it all, of course. He took great care to select the perfect photos for every section of every article he wrote.

His blog is one of his legacies.... and it should be presented as he intended it to be. He deserves that.

( wow..... deep thought.... when your legacy is entirely digital.... it could be your writings.... even your money in the form of bitcoin... your entire legacy could be digital.... that's a pretty deep thought... and i don't even smoke weed... )

bruce_nyc
December 13th, 2015, 14:54
I wonder how Noom is doing....

bkkmfj2648
December 13th, 2015, 16:24
me too, I often wonder how Noom is doing.
If I lived in BKK I could try to track him down to find out....
from Rush's blog and reading about this character Noom, I've always wanted to meet him...

roguebear
December 13th, 2015, 17:37
I wonder not only about Noom, but Mom, Dave and Phil as well. Such an emotional roller coaster for all of them. I have made arrangements for my boy friend to be taken care of after my demise, since he will most likely out live me by a few decades. I hope Rush was not caught off guard and was able to make some sort of preparations for the inevitable. My Thai friends do not like to discuss such morbid things as death and illness, so it is hard to make any such plans with them. I lost contact with my boy friend for a few weeks a couple of years ago and later found out from him that he had been in the hospital. Now I have his family's contact info so if something would happen, I can at least get some information. It is difficult when someone you care about just comes up missing. I missed Rush when he stopped blogging, but now I have a deeper sense of loss knowing he is gone. His blog revealed that he had lived a very full life and that is of some consolation. Although I never met the man, I feel like I have lost a friend.

bruce_nyc
December 13th, 2015, 18:06
I do live in Bangkok.... but what clues, if any, do we have to go on....

I guess I didn't pay attention enough to remember details that might identify him, or where he lives or works...

Or maybe from the obituary there is a family contact? Might they know Noom?

dinagam
December 13th, 2015, 18:42
If I recall correctly from reading his blog sometime back, Noom was working at Tawan bar. I'm sure the boys there know him or his whereabouts if he's no longer employed there.

Tobi
December 13th, 2015, 18:50
I think Rush mentioned towards the end of his blogging that Noom was working at Zeus but only at the weekends.

bruce_nyc
December 13th, 2015, 19:08
Does anyone have a photo of Noom. That might help a lot.

christianpfc
December 13th, 2015, 21:57
There was a picture of Noom on the blog (but good luck finding it, even when pictures are back!), and I think I recognized him several times throughout this year in Soi Twilight, last only weeks ago. I think I saw him entering Dream Boys.

Rush mentioned that Noom is in email contact with his (Rush's) friends and family members.

BonTong
December 14th, 2015, 12:35
If it's just a Wordpress site, it shouldn't be that difficult to rebuild. But if we can get all of the data together, I can even hire a Wordpress expert to put it all back together... on my host. I would love to see it back up again..... as if he never left. And then it can be backed up to several backup sites for safety.

The photos are an essential part of it all, of course. He took great care to select the perfect photos for every section of every article he wrote.
Indeed. Speaking as something of a WordPress expert it should not be too hard to do this. Looking a the site, it seems to be fairly standard WordPress. Provided you have access to the database and the original uploaded photos directory it should be possible to massage the database so it points to where the photos are. i.e as a standalone WordPress installation, rather than part of a multi-site network. It appears to use a standard theme that may still be commercially available. But it's probably not hard to just use or customise a similar theme. All looks like standard stuff with no major theme dependent features.

As you say, the photos are important and it would be necessary to maintain them in the WordPress framework as uploading all the photos again, and adding them back to each post would be a major, major task.

Of course, it would be necessary to use a host that doesn't get bent out of shape over adult content......

Surfcrest
December 14th, 2015, 13:03
There was indeed a post titled, photos of Noom.

http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2014/06/26/7-shots-of-noom/

http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2013/08/20/bonus-shot-bad-photos-the-noom-edition/

When I found the "hyrda" topic through a Google search, the photos loaded up fine and you can scroll from day to day without being re-directed to the expired page.

When I get some time I'll look at solutions for this.

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
December 14th, 2015, 13:11
http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/2013/08/20/bonus-shot-bad-photos-the-noom-edition/

If you scroll to the bottom of this functional page you will see links to each month of posts. Everything after November 2013, the photos are not visible...yet.
I believe November 2013 was when he moved over to our server.

I hope to fix that!

Surfcrest

bruce_nyc
December 14th, 2015, 16:16
Of course, it would be necessary to use a host that doesn't get bent out of shape over adult content......

My hosting company is a dream. I love them. They have absolutely no problem with full on porn even. And I have unlimited storage and bandwidth.... as long as the storage is used for serving a web site....

I can set up a standard Wordpress install on my host... on a domain name dedicated to this project ( I own hundreds of extra domain names ). Then, you can just let me know what theme you suggest we try.... or if we can track down the original theme that was used.... and I'll install it. I can then give you admin access to the Wordpress site or whatever is needed to get it up and running again.... just like before.... ( sadly, with no more new updates ).

bruce_nyc
December 14th, 2015, 16:25
On the photos of Noom page....

mark said:July 2, 2014 at 8:58 pm
Nice pics but he does look better in person.

Anyone know who this Mark is...?

Also, of course, the photos of Noom are not loading for me.

BonTong
December 14th, 2015, 18:23
I just ran a quick check. The image problem looks fixable. The problem is the full image urls are embedded in the posts e.g. http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.co ... /06/n5.jpg (http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2014/06/n5.jpg) which points to a different server (presumably the old one) and the url is dead . Fortunately, as Surfcrest stated earlier, the images seem to be present on the current server and in the right locations e.g:http://bangkokbois.sawatdeenetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2014/06/n5.jpg works!

Therefore, some surgery on the database should fix the problem. If migrating to a new standalone WordPress install some trickery maybe needed to get the directory structure for the uploads compatible, but should be doable.

dinagam
December 14th, 2015, 18:29
A sample pic of Noom. [attachment=0:2xvup1qs]a-tigers-tale.jpg[/attachment:2xvup1qs]