PDA

View Full Version : I got scamed this morning

vnman
July 13th, 2015, 17:08
Well after all these years, I'm still able to make rookie mistakes.

I wanted to top-up my Thai bank account a bit and decided to change 2000 Euros. At 37.53 the course was pretty decent so I went for it. I get to the exchange boot and a woman is sitting in-front of the window and a guy with 1 eye (not sure why that is important) is standing next to her, and he is busy with the computer.

Mistake number 1, i didn't count the money in front of her. I just put it in the tray. 20 bills of 50 and 2 of 500. She asked me how much, and I dodged the question on purpose because, in my mind, I'm going to watch her count it and make sure she comes up with the right number. Yeah, weird thinking. i said something like "never enough."

She starts putting the bills in order and I'm watching here. Then mistake I made mistake number 2, somehow my mind stated drifting and i didn't pay attention for a second. She started counting and said "it's 1900, ok?" What>? No way, i said. The woman and the man started talking a bit and she put the money back in the tray. I counted it and of course it was only 1900. I pushed the money back and said "no, it was 2000." They spoke again for a few seconds and pushed the money back to me and said "only 1900"

At that time I decided to mentally take a step back. I told her that it was my mistake, but added because I should have watched her more closely. She said "i change 1900? and I agreed.

While this happened, my friend was waiting a few meter away from me. When i got 1900 worth of baht. We both walked away from the booth and discussed how to handle this situation. I must say, that I'm very happy I took this time out. Normally, I would have gone crazy and things could have escalated. The last time I counted the money was in the room and the 50s where wrapped up in the 500s. So that made loosing them underway impossible, but they could still lay around the hotel room. I need to figure that out first before I would take the next step.

Of course, no money in the hotel and after eating breakfast, we decided to go back and confronted them again. This time another woman was sitting in the booth. I asked for the manager and she pointed inside the internet cafe next to the booth. There we met the guy with one eye again. I told him that somewhere someone had made a mistake (read you stole from me) and We would like to see the security footage to make sure the mistake wasn't theirs.

The guy was very friendly, offered us a seat and we got some water. He went into the booth looking for the footage. then he called me to come in. I asked my friend to go because this time I wouldn't be so calm if i found out he scammed me. So my friend went in and it took a long time for him to come out. When he did, he had 1 thumb up which obviously meant that I was right.

According to my friend the guy tried to deny even when the truth starred him in the eye. The woman just shoved 2 bills of 50 under the telephone in-front of her. My friend says that they guy is 99% sure just a guilty. He apologized a 1000 times and I just took my money and left. I guess the proof of his involvement will be clear when that stealing &*^&*%$%^ is working again tomorrow.

Yeah, I made some rookie mistakes but luckily didn't pay school money.

vnman
July 13th, 2015, 17:14
I forgot to name the place.

When you come from Tukcom and pass the Kasikorn bank. The first booth on the right, Its main color is orange and it's in-front of an internet cafe.

Dalewood
July 13th, 2015, 18:18
Vnman, 2000 Euros seems like an awful lot of cash to be carrying around---in any country.

thaiguest
July 13th, 2015, 19:10
I forgot to name the place.

When you come from Tukcom and pass the Kasikorn bank. The first booth on the right, Its main color is orange and it's in-front of an internet cafe.
:-o

Don't you know that you will ALWAYS get a higher rate from the yellow coloured booth on Second Rd (beside Seamassage) than any of the booths on Pattaya Tai Rd?

Check out both locations tomorrow for you information.

Yes, if the scamming lady still works there the one-eyed gent is a pirate.

christianpfc
July 13th, 2015, 21:35
2000 Euro is a lot of money.

When I use exchange booth, I exchange 100 or 200 Euro, in 50 notes, which means 2 or 4 notes. I think they wouldn't try to make one note disappear because it's too obvious.

In taxis or bars, I usually pay the right amount (+tip), so I can't get short changed. At 7/11 I pay with 1000 Baht bills, there is good light and I can watch the cashier count my change.

goji
July 14th, 2015, 02:00
Eur 2000 is a lot of money, however most people planning a 1 month holiday will need more than this.

I've changed over ┬г2000 in Bangkok and the staff behind the counter were very amused by the sum of money. I count it in advance and they count it in a machine. Perhaps I should break it into smaller trades.

Oliver
July 14th, 2015, 14:23
I no longer change-up more than ┬г200 at one time after a cashier (in a bank next to Boyztown, not an exchange booth) "lost" a 1000 bht note. When I recounted, in front of him, and pointed this out, he immediately gave me another 1000 note indicating that he already knew.
I believe that the fact that I was a changing a large sum (┬г500) made this attempted deception more likely.

vnman
July 14th, 2015, 14:31
If two 2000 euro is a lot to be walking around with, everybody must decide for themselves but i agree that you don't want to be flashing that kind of cash. I planned this before leaving home and had a clear goal. I just dropped the ball handing her the money and after that, not watching her like a hawk.

About the rate; never heard about that booth near Seamassage. I did hear about other places but I was looking for a place nearby and before i left I checked the exchange rate on xe.com. it was 37.7x...not sure about that last number. So when i saw 37.53, I was a happy camper. I probable wouldn't have gone to Seamassage at this time, even if they would have given me the same rate as xe.com...which i doubt you will ever get. However, thanks for the information for future reference. I can plan to change there next time.

Christian's suggestion makes sense too, but really, I wanted to get it over with. I also didn't trust the euro holding its present value.

I might go to friendship a bit later today and will definitely have a peak who is sitting in the booth :-)

pong
July 14th, 2015, 19:12
Recommend Super Rich-they now als have an office near to the ARENA-building on silom.
Their main ofices near WTC/BigC have throngs of people-often Chinese, who come there with thick bundles of CNY-in value often more as 5000 eur. Once there was a kind of tradesman before me, a Hungarian, who had bundles of 5/10 eur bills but total value well over 2000-he did sale and resale @home. IN the airport-Swampy, they also have an office hidden behind the desks of the Raillink-left hand side, where they even have a MINimum to change posted (not that much, I think 2000 THB=ca 60US).

zinzone
July 15th, 2015, 06:57
Congratulations to the OP for not only his post but his determination in getting back the money that was stolen from him and telling us about it. I was recently the victim of an attempted "scam" by being given change from 500 baht when I ought to have had change from 1000 baht. I not only caused a fuss at the time and got back what was owed but I made sure the head office of the restaurant( at an airport departure lounge) was informed of the attempted theft.

Gaybutton
July 15th, 2015, 09:15
I haven't had to exchange cash or traveler's checks in years, so I don't know if this is still the case, but years ago I used to get much better rates at private exchange houses rather than bank exchange booths. You might want to check into that.

Instead of changing money at exchange booths, you're better off going to a bank, especially if you're exchanging a large amount. At least in a bank, you're unlikely to encounter a cheater.

Also, if you ever go to Vientiane, do your exchanging via the 'open secret' of black market exchange at the Morning Market (which is actually open all day). You get much better rates there.

One thing is clear - no matter where you do your exchanging, make sure to pay close attention to the goings-on, don't let anything distract you, and trust nobody. Most exchanges are perfectly honest, but you don't want to find out the hard way that you ended up at one that isn't.

vnman
July 15th, 2015, 10:46
Also, if you ever go to Vientiane, do your exchanging via the 'open secret' of black market exchange at the Morning Market (which is actually open all day). You get much better rates there.

Who have you been talking too? :-)

Tomorrow, I'm traveling to UD and after the weekend Vientiane. I will have a look into that place. I'm not expecting to stay to long or spend too much money but it's good to know.

vnman
July 15th, 2015, 10:50
I not only caused a fuss at the time and got back what was owed but I made sure the head office of the restaurant( at an airport departure lounge) was informed of the attempted theft.

You are right, however I didn't want to wast anymore time on this. I don't wanna think about going to the police station make a complaint. I got better things to do while in Pattaya :-)

Gaybutton
July 15th, 2015, 12:17
Who have you been talking to?
I've been talking to myself. I know from personal experience. Don't believe me? Ask any boy from Vientiane or see for yourself. When you walk into the Morning Market it won't take long before vendors start approaching you, asking if you want to exchange money.

vnman
July 15th, 2015, 14:40
Who have you been talking to?
I've been talking to myself. I know from personal experience. Don't believe me? Ask any boy from Vientiane or see for yourself. When you walk into the Morning Market it won't take long before vendors start approaching you, asking if you want to exchange money.

I meant the coincidence that I'm just on my way in that direction. like someone told you I was going there etc.

Gaybutton
July 15th, 2015, 18:03
I've been talking to myself.
I still was talking to myself. At my age I do that a lot . . .

Nirish guy
July 15th, 2015, 20:01
Just a note of caution re black market money changers in many Countries as whilst they can and do usually give you a better rates they are also renowned if they're changing for an out of town tourist to use that opportunity of mixing in or at least leaving you open to the risk of you getting fake currency back in part of your exchange, either in whole or in part.

With the problem being that as they ARE a black market operator ( and thus usually a front / supported / paying in to the local Mafia chapter) your chances of having any recourse either from them or the authorities are a big flat ZERO so you might want to ask yourself IS it worth taking that risk over a few percent?

Also GB - just wondering do travellers cheques even exist anymore ?? I thought they'd quietly died out a few years ago now as less and less places stopped accepting them and the banks stopped issuing them ( at least in Europe anyway as far as I know ?)

Gaybutton
July 15th, 2015, 20:29
Also GB - just wondering do travellers cheques even exist anymore ??
They existed three years ago. I bought some American Express checks right here in Pattaya. As far as I know, the only place that sells them is the Bangkok Bank branch in Naklua.

As far as getting scammed at the Vientiane Morning Market, I was with a Lao friend when I exchanged money. I was not scammed. I received the genuine article. I doubt they would scam anyone by doling out fake notes or any other scam. As soon as word of that would get around, and they're not stupid enough to think it wouldn't, that would be the end of their business. In any case, I got my money from honest crooks . . .