PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Mosaik

joe552
July 10th, 2015, 01:32
I may be able to squeeze in a 10 day break to Pattaya in Oct/Nov time. I've stayed at Mosaik for the last 5 trips (or so) but thought a change is as good as a rest. I spend my night in Sunee, so want to be within staggering distance. I don't need a pool, but a balcony would be good. (In June, I was waking at 5.00 and happily sat on my balcony for a couple of hours watching the street come to life). Basically all I need is a clean bed and shower, close to Sunee. Any suggestions?

francois
July 10th, 2015, 03:42
Flamingo Hotel?

cdnmatt
July 10th, 2015, 03:45
Not sure if I should recommend this, but I enjoyed http://sanya-apartments.com

Please note though, main reason I enjoyed it was because it was more of an apartment will a full kitchen, versus just a hotel room. Plus it had separate rooms / areas, so while I was staying with Kim I could be up working at 3am, while he slept, or whatever. Nonetheless, large, clean, everything you need, and cheap. It's basically just across the street (and alley) from Friendship Market, so close enough to walk to Sunnee.

It is a lady's bar though, but obviously none of the staff care if you're gay (although they will all see you walking to your room with your boy special). If any of the old, fat white guys care just shoot elastic bands at them until they go away. :)

Up2U
July 10th, 2015, 08:23
Yensabai Condo (pool side)?

lonelywombat
July 10th, 2015, 11:40
I have been told that going direct to Yensabai can be pricey. There are a number of people who own condos there that read this forum . Perhaps you could ask and request a private reply, if they do not wish to go public. I believe the owner of Sanong Restaurant close to the entrance owns a few.

On quick trips I have stayed at TB Mansions around the corner from Mosaik.next to Grottino, I was not impressed with Flamingo and moved out after 2 nights,Baan Dok Mai has had good reports but I do not like the stairs or walking through the cafe downstairs.

I have been asked and posted about Colonial and had a discussion last trip about Elephant Plaza . I think it was about the stairs again.

You did not indicate if you stayed in the studios,one or two bedroom at Mosaik, so have no idea about price. But this may help.

joe552
July 10th, 2015, 13:04
Thanks for the replies. I usually stayed in a Studio in Mosaik, but stayed in a 1 bed last trip in June. I'll have a look at the other suggestions. At this stage, it's only a possibility, but hope springs eternal.

vnman
July 10th, 2015, 16:17
I'm staying in Holidays home Pattaya for a few days next weeks. Seems decent enough for a good price. Booking through their website is cheaper than Agoda. however, it's good to read the comments there.

http://www.holidayshomepattaya.com/

http://www.agoda.com/holidays-home/hote ... ya-th.html (http://www.agoda.com/holidays-home/hotel/pattaya-th.html)

joe552
July 10th, 2015, 17:15
Thanks, vnman. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it after your stay.

rtu55
July 10th, 2015, 19:20
I'm staying in Holidays home Pattaya for a few days next weeks. Seems decent enough for a good price. Booking through their website is cheaper than Agoda. however, it's good to read the comments there.

http://www.holidayshomepattaya.com/

http://www.agoda.com/holidays-home/hote ... ya-th.html (http://www.agoda.com/holidays-home/hotel/pattaya-th.html)

I┬┤ve stayed twice at Holidays home this year, about a week each stay. Great location, just opposite Mosaik, a couple of minutes walk from Sunee. One minute to Tukcom. Lovely service-minded staff. No problem with bringing guests. The hotel has the same owner as the more exclusive and expensive Mind resort, so as a resident at Hollidays home you get every day on demand a free voucher for using the excellent swimmingpool and gymnasium at Mind resort just 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

joe552
July 10th, 2015, 21:57
I'm a smoker, so without a balcony, Holidays home is out. I'm not going to the front of the hotel at 4am for a cigarette. That's why I want a balcony. It does seem like a nice place though and good value for money.

stkyricesf
July 10th, 2015, 23:54
I'm a smoker, so without a balcony, Holidays home is out. I'm not going to the front of the hotel at 4am for a cigarette. That's why I want a balcony. It does seem like a nice place though and good value for money.
I too wouldn't want to go to the front for a cigarette at 4 am. It does look like a nice place though.

goji
July 11th, 2015, 01:21
The Flamingo meets your requirements of nice clean bed and shower.

OK, the interiors are not the newest, however the cleaner cleans properly (not always guaranteed in Thailand) & it's a nice option. The corner rooms are quite good.

Halfhansum
July 11th, 2015, 02:03
I had a week at the `Holiday Home`,last September, and thought it very good value.
Clean and modern , with great location, but unfortunately, they had put their huge sign up, completely covering the only window in the room ...lol .
Ah well, It is Thailand ...

vnman
July 11th, 2015, 15:34
Here is something new.

I wanted to stay in Bangkok the first night because i arrive so late. I decided not to because of the amount of luggage i have. Anyway, the point is that i will arrive very early in Pattaya, around 5 or 6 am.I called the hotel and offered to pay an extra fee to avoid paying for a whole day. She wouldn't hear of it. She said "no worry, if free, you come early no problem" I asked here if she was sure and if she understood the time I would be arriving. "yes, no problem for early check in 6 am Monday. Only late check out pay extra."

Well, that was interesting :-)

I can understand your smoking issue Joe. When I stilled smoked I wouldn't even smoke in the room, even If I was allowed too. Same in the car.
So opposite is booked full?

joe552
July 11th, 2015, 17:28
I haven't checked if Mosaik is available. I just fancied a change if I can actually make the trip.

joe552
July 11th, 2015, 18:55
Just as an aside, I booked the 1 bed for my last trip because I had a "friend" staying with me. It worked out well with a separate sitting room - he could watch TV while I slept and vice versa. However that only lasted a few days so I had a big apartment I didn't really need. But I liked the balcony, as I was waking at 5.00am and could sit there for a couple of hours watching the street come to life.

francois
July 11th, 2015, 21:00
As I recall some of the rooms at Flamingo have a balcony but you would have to check to be sure.

travelerjim
July 11th, 2015, 22:30
If Sunee area is your choice...
Try Two Guys Guesthouse...
http://www.twoguysguesthouse.info/
John the owner is a fine owner and you will have a good room with good food available too.
I highly recommend it.

TJ

joe552
July 11th, 2015, 22:43
When I was there in June I went looking for Two Guys to have breakfast, but couldn't find it. I tried twice. I thought I knew where it was based on Nicky's maps, but no luck. Any clear directions from, say, Forest House bar?

Halfhansum
July 12th, 2015, 01:32
Just out of interest, has anyone stayed at the` Ban Dock Mai`, since it was taken over by the new owner ?

goji
July 12th, 2015, 04:54
Any clear directions from, say, Forest House bar?

Head up the soi as if you were heading back to Mosaik. When you reach the Family Mart, instead of heading left, turn right after the store. Head down that street for 100m it's on your right.

I stopped staying there several years ago as the bathrooms and the bedding were just not clean enough. Meanwhile, the cleaner appeared to be employed to sit on her arse in the reception area. However, any prospective customers will need a more recent review than mine.

joe552
July 12th, 2015, 08:30
Thanks, goji. That sounds very clear - I'll try again next time.

lonelywombat
July 14th, 2015, 15:48
For those planning to stay again at Mosaik you should be aware the rates have gone up 25% after the recent change of ownership,even for regulars.

Whilst many still feel Mosaik is good value ,not all will be of the same opinion.

joe552
July 14th, 2015, 18:06
I have been quoted 5800Bt for a Studio and 9200Bt for a 1 bedroom for 10 nights from 9-19 October. That still seems reasonable to me.

newalaan2
July 15th, 2015, 03:05
For those planning to stay again at Mosaik you should be aware the rates have gone up 25% after the recent change of ownership,even for regulars.Whilst many still feel Mosaik is good value ,not all will be of the same opinion.
Lonely's second hand information is only partially correct, the rates have not gone up.....yet. See below.

I have been quoted 5800Bt for a Studio and 9200Bt for a 1 bedroom for 10 nights from 9-19 October. That still seems reasonable to me. There was a note at the foot of emails sent out by Mosaik that there is to be a price increase, but no % mentioned, starting Nov 1 that's why Joe and myself have received our 'normal' low season rate, as I have also booked one of the larger one-bed deluxe's for 10 days in October. The note stated that "due to we'd change a major shareholder, a higher of goods price and minimum wage for employee by government, we'd like to raise up our room rate from I nov 2015".

Joe, you are probably aware......but in case not, the Studio Prestige units which are much larger than the deluxe studios have balconies, some large like the one bed units, I know in Block C we have often stayed in C3-3/C3-4 which have large balconies at the rear of the building overlooking Bordeaux Restaurant and soi at the back connecting Day/night two & one.

but thought a change is as good as a rest.
I agree a different place can be a nice change, when visiting Bkk I alternate between different hotels/guesthouses. But in the past like yourself I have considered alternatives in Pattaya, but after investigating and having a good look round have never been able to come up with a decent alternative to Mosaik which ticks all our boxes for a place to stay for 7-10 days, so have always stuck with them.

Very few of the places I checked out had decent (or any) balconies, probably the balcony view from Yensabai would be about the best, but there have been mixed reviews about staying there. Flamingo, TB mansion, Baan dok mai, Holiday Home are very close to Mosaik so not really much of a change of scenery from the balcony and none can compare in quality, as with Two Guys and Mosaik.

Just out of interest, has anyone stayed at the` Ban Dock Mai`, since it was taken over by the new owner ?
I haven't heard of any reviews or comments about BDM with the new owner. I decided not to go back there when warwick sold it, if staying for a short 2-3 day visit I'll give Colonial a try next time. The room boy at BDM is now at Colonial and about two weeks ago when I passed the caf├й on the lower floor of BDM was closed and that side of the unit shuttered. That may have changed since I was there. That's all I know.

Baan Dok Mai has had good reports but I do not like the stairs or walking through the cafe downstairs.
Have these good reports been with the new owner since Warwick sold it or before? As above my understanding is that there is now no caf├й open there, unless that has changed since couple weeks ago. As for your complaint about the stairs there, where in the area/sunee are there (gay?) guesthouses/hotels with elevators apart from Mosaik/Yensabai Condos? Also I don't understand why you needed to 'walk through' the caf├й at Baan Dok Mai. What was the issue with walking through anyway? but the 'night' entrance there is open 24/7 and there has never been any need to walk through the caf├й if you don't want to at any time of day.

joe552
July 15th, 2015, 05:03
Thanks, I didn't know that some Studios had balconies. That makes a difference as I don't really need a 1 bed if staying on my own (with occasional guests).

anonone
July 15th, 2015, 06:36
The cafe at Baan Dok Mai was open last week when I walked by. I think the official name is Corner Restaurant. Very good massaman there.

lonelywombat
July 15th, 2015, 07:06
For those planning to stay again at Mosaik you should be aware the rates have gone up 25% after the recent change of ownership,even for regulars.Whilst many still feel Mosaik is good value ,not all will be of the same opinion.
Lonely's second hand information is only partially correct, the rates have not gone up.....yet.

My friend who stay 3 times a year and has rebooked for mid november, was told of the increases before leaving in June. 25% was the suggestion ,to be confirmed.
He has rebooked , the increase did not worry him.