PDA

View Full Version : Thailand flights still available at very low rates.

newalaan2
July 9th, 2015, 21:50
Just returned from a Thailand trip and booked flight for next one at the start of October on KLM again for under ┬г500.

From UK regional airport flying on KLM via Amsterdam with short 2hr 30min stopover there at ┬г460 for economy (with fee for cancel/change rather than the normal no cancel/no change). I always upgrade to a more comfortable seat depending on what is available, last flight in June was just under the ┬г500 basic, but here a few months on the fares are still very reasonable. Other airlines (with possibly long transit times) are most likely available at even cheaper rates but I only ever travel with KLM nowadays as have Freq Fly card with them. It makes the journey a bit easier, as even tho the transit time is short still have time to go to Crown Lounge, check-in priority which avoids standing in Q's, upgrade possibilities and priority thro Thai immigration, the outbound flight is only 10.5 hrs from Ams to Bkk on 777-300. Gets into Bkk next morning at 9.50am which never seems to clash with many other flights meaning easy passage through immigration.

Business class seats were also available at reasonable rates, but I just can't justify the difference (to myself) in cost for what you get for your money and only a 10.5 hour flight. I just don't benefit from the levels of comfort. My 10.5 hour flight consists of 4 hours reading/listening to MP3, hour or so with meals/drinks service/eating, 3-4 hours sleep/dozing, and wake up a couple hours from Bkk in time for breakfast, which I only have tea and water as it's too early for me (equiv to 3am euro/body clock time) to eat. Last business class trip last year I didn't even use the lie flat bed option as didn't need it for comfort, the food while superior to economy would be worth about ┬г15 in any decent restaurant and I only have glass of wine worth a few euros, the snobbery/exclusive element means nothing to me whatsoever and there are no other considerations vastly superior to economy so in terms of value...it works out as very, very poor value.

joe552
July 10th, 2015, 01:38
Just checking flights from Dublin (DUB) to BKK, for early October British Airways via Heathrow are coming in quite cheap at about тВм600, compared to Etihad at about 615. Personally I prefer the break in the middle - to have a smoke and a walk about. I can't sleep on planes, so a 10 or 11 hour flight would be too much.

vnman
July 13th, 2015, 07:42
Business class seats were also available at reasonable rates, but I just can't justify the difference (to myself) in cost for what you get for your money and only a 10.5 hour flight. I just don't benefit from the levels of comfort.

What I have learned from the KLM is that their Service has downgraded a lot of the years. I don't know you, but I will infer from your post that you are a normal sized person from a length an weight perspective. I'm pretty tall with my 1.87cm and I got long legs too...not to mention weigh a few kilos. I live in Asia but I'm Dutch so I often make that trip to Amsterdam and I just cannot do it in Economy.

Last time I tried was during Christmas two years ago. I needed a last minute ticket from Amsterdam (one way) and business was just crazy 3000 Euro+ That flight i promised myself never to fly such a distance economy again. I have set my limit to 3hours flying and could make acceptations for a max 4 hour flight.

I have my frequent flyer program with emirates and i fly with them whenever I can. I love the fact that I can even fly with them from Bangkok to Hong Kong. Not only that, they are one of the cheapest when it comes to business class on that route and definitely one of the best.

The difference between business and economy can easily be 2000 euros so you will have to justify 100 euros an hour and many will say that it's just not worth it.

Another interesting thing, which is the topic of your post, are the rates inversely. I can remember 10 to 15 years ago, It would be cheaper to fly from Bangkok to Amsterdam than vice versa. That has changed I think. It seems that flight from Europe to Asia are cheaper now.