PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Dollar Breaks 34 Bhat

Manforallseasons
July 8th, 2015, 13:04
As of today the official exchange rate is $1.00 = 34.01 baht. This is not the rate individuals get.

Surfcrest
July 8th, 2015, 13:14
The US dollar is trading high against most currencies, with the current instability in Europe and specifically with the Greece situation.

Surfcrest

Dodger
July 8th, 2015, 16:57
Keep going baby I know u can do it....let's see 40 bt/$1 U.S. like the good old days !!!

anonone
July 8th, 2015, 18:22
I just received 33.90 at TT exchange in Pattaya for $100 bills

40.would be great, but 34 is the best I have seen in my 4-5 years. No complaints today

Up2U
July 8th, 2015, 19:20
I just received 33.90 at TT exchange in Pattaya for $100 bills

40.would be great, but 34 is the best I have seen in my 4-5 years. No complaints today

An excellent rate and good for you! The beach is closed on Wednesday so we took in a movie at Central Festival mall. A friend did an ATM run and got 33.93 from his VISA ATM/debit card.

July 11th, 2015, 08:49
A country that has hitched its economy to China's is now wearing the consequences. Mind you, I read an article during the week where a journalist ticked off the impact of a weakening Chinese economy on SE Asian countries: Philippines - yes; Malaysia - yes; Singapore - yes; the list went on. Thailand? Not a word. It has completely dropped off the radar. Another article I read spoke of Thailand's stagnation under the junta, and reminded its readers that fifty years ago Burma was the leading light of SE Asia - until the generals took over.

fountainhall
July 11th, 2015, 15:25
Another article I read spoke of Thailand's stagnation under the junta, and reminded its readers that fifty years ago Burma was the leading light of SE Asia - until the generals took over.
Not sure of the context here - and I do have doubts that in 1965 Burma was in fact more advanced than any other S E Asian country - but the conclusion seems to be that under military (which to a large extent can be equated to non-democratic) governments economies will not do nearly as well as under democratic rule. If that's the assumption, then the facts hardly bear it out. By the late 1960s Hong Kong and Singapore were economically the most advanced in South East Asia. Neither could be regarded as democratic in any western sense of the word - one being a colonial dictatorship, the other in essence a one-party state. Similarly Taiwan's economic development started under the dictatorship and military rule of Chiang Kai Shek. Further north, South Korea developed into a global powerhouse under military rule (which did not end until the early 1990s). And although it started later than the others China's massive development was led by another one party military state.

July 11th, 2015, 16:03
Another article I read spoke of Thailand's stagnation under the junta, and reminded its readers that fifty years ago Burma was the leading light of SE Asia - until the generals took over.
Not sure of the context here - and I do have doubts that in 1965 Burma was in fact more advanced than any other S E Asian country ... http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandal ... ting-game/ (http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2015/07/09/thai-democracys-waiting-game/)

fountainhall
July 12th, 2015, 00:17
Thanks for posting the link.

The article is pretty general and clearly written from the angle of a democrat. Nothing wrong in that. But it certainly does not suggest that the economic decline of a country is always a result of a lack of democracy and the imposition of military rule. In fact, he claims this -

Countries do not become underdeveloped overnight. It is a process which happens slowly when growth stalls for one country while others move forward. Thailand started stalling intermittently in 2005 and is now in full blown decay. The effect is apparent in many spheres.
So he accepts that the economic decline in Thailand started almost a decade before the military came to power! Interesting that he fails to mention the crash of 1997 and its desperate result for the Thai economy - although I certainly accept that was in large part due to the elite doing its best to look after itself and failing spectacularly.

The author then suggests that the basic problem is political and the only way out of the "mess" is through compromise. Yet In the 10 years prior to the coup compromise was something neither of the main parties was prepared to consider. Indeed, why should they do so now when they themselves themselves have contributed considerably to that decline through their inability to enter fully into the process of democracy (i.e. the winner does not always take all) and the enormous handouts they have dished out from the public purse to please their main electoral base?

Whilst he does mention Burma in the 1950s, nowhere does he mention the subsequent huge economic development in the S E Asian tiger economies which were either dictatorships or so-called democracies that were all but dictatorships. Indeed, he could have added with some justification that the reduction in economic progress in many over the last decade is a direct result not only of the 2008 global financial recession but also of increasing democratic awareness (e.g. in Singapore).

Dodger
July 12th, 2015, 16:15
Regardless of why the Thai baht is weakening against the U.S. dollar it should increase tourism which is a good thing for the gay venues who desperately need the business. As far as the impact that the weakening baht has on the rest of the Thai economy - who knows, but I think the term "stagnation" is putting it mildly due to the fact that the Thai economy is declining not stagnating.

cdnmatt
July 12th, 2015, 20:55
Now only if the Canadian dollar would catch up. 26.8 right now I see on xe.com, so probably around 25.5 at the ATMs. I remember when it was 33 back in the day.

On a positive note, at least most ATMs here now allow you to withdraw 30,000 at one time, instead of the standard 20,000 like it was at for years. Helps save on bank fees.

July 13th, 2015, 03:23
Surely the point being made about stagnation is that when democratic forms become dictatorships there is a negative impact on the economy. That's different to discussing the long term trajectories of countries that have always been authoritarian

fountainhall
July 13th, 2015, 21:16
Very fair point that I had not picked up on. I'm not sure I wholly agree, though, the more so when Thai democracy has never really taken root here with formal democratic institutions at various levels of society, rule of law etc. But others will no doubt agree with the writer's view.

July 14th, 2015, 03:19
I'm not sure I wholly agree ...
It's open to you to present examples to the contrary rather than argue the extent to which it was democratic. I think there's ample evidence that - lese majeste aside - it's a far more freedom inclined society than Singapore

fountainhall
July 14th, 2015, 18:48
It's open to you to present examples to the contrary rather than argue the extent to which it was democratic. I think there's ample evidence that - lese majeste aside - it's a far more freedom inclined society than Singapore

Since Burma was quoted, that example has to be quashed. When Bruma gained independence, it was not only riven with bitter ethnic divides, some of which continue to this day, it was yet another S E Asian pawn in the Cold War. No matter that the literacy rate, healthcare and education systems were advanced compared to other countries, democracy itself was extremely fragile to the point that it stuttered on for only a few years. The one man who might have kept the country together was Aung San, but he was assassinated before independence. Following independence various groups engaged in what was to all intents and purposes a civil war and it was this that led to the coup. Call the red/yellow divide what you like, it was no civil war.

That coup was a disaster for the country. But the author of the article quoted by Kommentariat cites Burma as his only example. And since there is no other example in S E Asia over the same time frame as far as I am aware, it's impossible to make a comparison of "examples to the contrary."

I think Thailand certainly was a more freedom inclined society than Singapore. That, though, is now changing quite rapidly in Singapore and this presents a huge conundrum for the ruling PAP. Both traditionally belonged to those Asian societies which regarded themselves with relatively few exceptions as group- and family-oriented. By the time of the rapid economic development of Thailand in the 1970s and 80s, that then changed. The rise of a more prosperous middle class and the accumulation of considerable individual wealth quickly took precedence over all else. It was almost as though Margaret Thatcher had transplanted herself 6,000 miles away from London!

Yet Thailand continues to score badly in the widely respected and often quoted Legatum Prosperity Index* - the only global measurement of prosperity based on both income and wellbeing. The 2014 Report has Thailand coming in at #51 in the world whereas Singapore is further up the heap at #18. Go back to 2010 and you get more or less the same results тАУ Thailand #52, Singapore #17. Recently that same Index provided information that 86% of Thai people were тАЬsatisfied with freedom of choice in their daily lives!тАЭ

I suspect the figures in that Report were based on pre-coup analysis. It will be interesting to see what changes result in the analysis of future years.

http://www.prosperity.com/#!/?aspxerror ... untry.aspx (http://www.prosperity.com/#!/?aspxerrorpath=%2Fcountry.aspx)

* In its own words, "The Legatum Prosperity Index contains data on 142 countries for 89 variables, spread across eight sub-indices. The Legatum Prosperity Index recognises the need for a country to promote high levels of per capita income, but also advocates improvements in the subjective wellbeing of its citizens.

Manforallseasons
July 16th, 2015, 12:16
Today Thursday 14th the official Dollar/Baht exchange rate is 34.20 bht to 1 U.S. dollar this is the bank to bank rate not your rate. In Pattaya at Frienship supermarket their money exchange booth posted $1.00 = 34.07.

http://youtu.be/I8P80A8vy9I

anonone
July 20th, 2015, 17:12
Still rising. 34.42 today. :D

Smiles
July 20th, 2015, 18:34
As for my Canadian loonie these days: We are not amused!!
Perhaps the Amurcans on this international board can just bloody well cease crowing.

Up2U
July 20th, 2015, 21:19
As for my Canadian loonie these days: We are not amused!!
Perhaps the Amurcans on this international board can just bloody well cease crowing.
The number of gay Americans in Thailand are a fraction of the demographics. I suspect the number of Brits, Europeans and Aussies and their exchange rate versus the baht will have a greater impact on the economy and number of tourist visitors. As an American, just a few years back the dollar dipped below 29 and my lifestyle was on the verge of being impacted. Today I could have an additional 15,000 baht a month if I so choosed so please forgive my happiness. My hope is the baht weakens dramatically against all currencies and we can all celebrate together.

Dodger
July 21st, 2015, 05:23
Fountainhall wrote:

Regardless of the way one would measure "freedom" Thailand has never fully embraced (or implemented) democracy. For example, freedom of speech and/or press does not exist. This was just as true under the past semi-democratic administration as it is under current miltary rule.

I don't see a connection between the weakening baht and the military takeover in-and-by-itself due to the fact that it has been a year since the last coup and the Baht didn't start declining in value until recently.

Just in the past 6 months Thailand has been faced with some serious factors, e.g., international press coverage of exploitation in the Thai fishing industry, decline in agricultural exports due to climate change (draught conditions), decline in foreign investments due to instability of government, Thai airline industry failing international aviation inspections last May. and the fact that Thailand has now been blacklisted by the West (including the U.S.) for operating without a constitution...and the list unfortunately goes on. I believe all of these factors contribute to the falling baht.

I love Thailand and want to see it get back on its feet - but predict that the exchange rate will come close to 37 baht/1 U.S dollar by years end which will help soften the blow.

Up2U
July 21st, 2015, 09:13
Why Americans are happy:

Up2U
July 21st, 2015, 09:20
And others not:

fountainhall
July 21st, 2015, 12:32
Fountainhall wrote:

Just for clarity, I didn't write that - kommentariat did!

July 21st, 2015, 16:41
Fountainhall wrote:

Just for clarity, I didn't write that - kommentariat did!Quite - and Dodger missed the point anyway by indeed arguing the extent to which it was democratic!! Horse, water, drink.

Dodger
July 21st, 2015, 17:18
Sorry fountainhall....those were in fact kommentariat's statements.

kommentariat also wrote:

and Dodger missed the point anyway by indeed arguing the extent to which it was democratic!!

You either misinterpreted what I said or your drunk.

scottish-guy
July 21st, 2015, 20:13
Fascinating topic.

So, at the going rate in Pattaya for a ST shag (say a generous 1500B) - and with rise in the exchange rate from 31.50B to 34.1B/$ - our American members (after spending all day trawling round exchange kiosks to make sure they secure the very best rate) are saving around $3.61 per fuck, right?

Or put another way - after only 12 fucks they'll have almost saved enough for an extra one?

No wonder they're turning cartwheels.

Up2U
July 21st, 2015, 21:11
Fascinating topic.

So, at the going rate in Pattaya for a ST shag (say a generous 1500B) - and with rise in the exchange rate from 31.50B to 34.1B/$ - our American members (after spending all day trawling round exchange kiosks to make sure they secure the very best rate) are saving around $3.61 per fuck, right?

Or put another way - after only 12 fucks they'll have almost saved enough for an extra one?

No wonder they're turning cartwheels.

Around the middle of 2013(about 2 years ago) the dollar bottomed at about 28.5, it is now almost 6 baht higher. If I chose, I would have 30,000 additional monthly income. Using your generous tipping amount, this equals 20 free fucks, so we Americans are happily doing our cartwheels.

scottish-guy
July 21st, 2015, 21:42
I was of course, referring to your own graphics which do not cover the time span to which you are now alluding.

Since you clearly get a hard-on over a 2.5B increase in a year, that 6B increase must have you creaming in your dry goods - and in no need of a fuck (free or otherwise).

:))

Dodger
July 22nd, 2015, 03:55
scottish-guy...

When you're comparing the 3 baht increase to a small amount of money it doesn't mean much - but comparing it to a lot of U.S. money one may be exchanging it means a hell of a lot. If the baht stands where it is right now the increase will cover the costs of about 30 offs during my next holiday...and yes, I'm creaming in my jeans just thinking about it.

latintopxxx
July 22nd, 2015, 07:20
...funny...seems like i got competition when it comes to getting value for money arse...

scottish-guy
July 22nd, 2015, 10:02
....If the baht stands where it is right now the (3B) increase will cover the costs of about 30 offs during my next holiday...and yes, I'm creaming in my jeans just thinking about it.

Only 30? Don't be so cheap!

If you increased your holiday spending to a more generous $12000 instead of a measly $4000 (which, assuming a 400B off fee, is the spend reqd to make a saving equating to 30 offs), you could in fact have 120 free "offs" instead.

Now, I've no idea how long your holiday lasts - but if it's 2 weeks, you'd only have to get fucked 8.5 times a day to take maximum advantage.

I'd respectfully suggest that in taking it up the poop chute at that rate, it would not be so much a matter of "creaming in your jeans" as involuntarily voiding your bowels down both trouser legs for the rest of your life!!

Personally, I'd advise cutting the shagging to 4 a day and using the cash saved for rectal prolapse surgery.

Up2U
July 22nd, 2015, 10:46
....If the baht stands where it is right now the (3B) increase will cover the costs of about 30 offs during my next holiday...and yes, I'm creaming in my jeans just thinking about it.

If you increased your holiday spending to a more generous $12000 instead of a measly $4000 (which, assuming a 400B off fee, is the spend reqd to make a saving equating to 30 offs), you could in fact have 120 free "offs" instead.

Now, I've no idea how long your holiday lasts - but if it's 2 weeks, you'd only have to get fucked 8.5 times a day to take maximum advantage.

I'd respectfully suggest that in taking it up the poop chute at that rate, it would not be so much a matter of "creaming in your jeans" as involuntarily voiding your bowels down both trouser legs for the rest of your life!!

Personally, I'd advise cutting the shagging to 4 a day and using the cash saved for rectal prolapse surgery.

My earlier graphics were to illustrate that not everyone unfortunately is not sharing the good fortune of the dollar, are you? Just a few years ago, I know Brits who had to repatriate because Thailand was no longer affordable. When the dollar bottomed a few years ago Americans were wondering if it could actually return to 25 (pre Asian flu of the 90's). Yes the dollar is strengthening and I know a few Americans who are now essentially living rent and utility free since the bottom with forecasters predicting even better times. My only hope is other currencies share the dollars good fortune. Remember, not everyone is a tourist, even Dodger has bought a condo and will spend more time here.

scottish-guy
July 22nd, 2015, 18:23
My earlier graphics were to illustrate that not everyone unfortunately is not sharing the good fortune of the dollar, are you?

Well- it doesn't obsess me - but off the top of my head I seem to remember a couple of years ago it was as low as 44B/┬г and it now appears to be 53B/┬г (official rates) - so that's around a 20% increase isn't it?

Yet despite that I'm neither turning cartwheels, creaming in my dry goods, not calculating the number of extra penises I could fit up my Hershey Highway with the windfall if it continues into next year when I intend to re-visit - but maybe that's just me :))

..Just a few years ago, I know Brits who had to repatriate because Thailand was no longer affordable...

Well, it wasn't that long ago the only Brits who could afford to stay in Spain (at almost Euro/Sterling parity) were the ones on the run from the police. Look at it now - almost 1.4 Euro/┬г. If they behaved like some members of this board they'd be banging like a shitehouse door now (except by the time any young Spanish guys come out, all the Brits are asleep)

....Remember, not everyone is a tourist, even Dodger has bought a condo and will spend more time here...

I'm pleased to hear about Dodger's residential arrangements and I wish him well - but as a comparison 3 weeks ago when I was visiting MY condo in Saigon I got an extra 1000 Vietnamese dong/┬г than in 2014. Just saying y'know.

:ymparty:

Up2U
July 22nd, 2015, 19:22
My earlier graphics were to illustrate that not everyone unfortunately is not sharing the good fortune of the dollar, are you?

Well- it doesn't obsess me - but off the top of my head I seem to remember a couple of years ago it was as low as 44B/┬г and it now appears to be 53B/┬г (official rates) - so that's around a 20% increase isn't it?

Yet despite that I'm neither turning cartwheels, creaming in my dry goods, not calculating the number of extra penises I could fit up my Hershey Highway with the windfall if it continues into next year when I intend to re-visit - but maybe that's just me :))

..Just a few years ago, I know Brits who had to repatriate because Thailand was no longer affordable...

Well, it wasn't that long ago the only Brits who could afford to stay in Spain (at almost Euro/Sterling parity) were the ones on the run from the police. Look at it now - almost 1.4 Euro/┬г. If they behaved like some members of this board they'd be banging like a shitehouse door now (except by the time any young Spanish guys come out, all the Brits are asleep)

....Remember, not everyone is a tourist, even Dodger has bought a condo and will spend more time here...

I'm pleased to hear about Dodger's residential arrangements and I wish him well - but as a comparison 3 weeks ago when I was visiting MY condo in Saigon I got an extra 1000 Vietnamese dong/┬г than in 2014. Just saying y'know.

:ymparty:

Much of above I could written myself when I was working and anxiously counting the days for my next trip to LOS, but being a pensioner now changes one's perspective. I only wish I could still do cartwheels and don't spend all that dong in one place.

oldfarang
July 23rd, 2015, 04:28
I want 40-42 back

Dodger
July 23rd, 2015, 06:27
scottish-guy wrote:

My holidays last 3 months.

The comparison I made between the increase in cash due to the dropping baht compared to off fees was in jest...as I can count on one hand how many off fees I've paid in the last 3 years. Most of my money has been spent on condo renovations and partying my ass off at night. I have been spending my fun time with guys I've linked up on GayRomeo versus bar boys which has worked out really well...no off fee's or tips...very economical... and the quantity and quality of sex are at much higher levels...works for me. And for the record, I prefer top.

The U.S. economy is doing well...our dollar is strong...and it's putting more baht in my pocket...what's not to like.

latintopxxx
July 23rd, 2015, 10:56
dont wanna come across as facetious but is this really that critical?? after all if u r going to retire to a low cost country like Thailand what diff does an extra 10 to 20% fluctuation really matter...after all 20% of nothing is still ...nothing?!

Up2U
July 23rd, 2015, 11:24
dont wanna come across as facetious but is this really that critical?? after all if u r going to retire to a low cost country like Thailand what diff does an extra 10 to 20% fluctuation really matter...after all 20% of nothing is still ...nothing?!
It is very critical. Many farangs retired here years ago on small pensions and thought they were living like kings when the dollar was 45 and the pound over 70. They unknowingly made retirement decisions based on those exchange rates and then reality struck as the baht along with other Asian currencies strengthened dramatically. If you were retired would you like to see your government and/or private pension effectively reduced by 1/3? When you are on a holiday here you have options (shorten your visit, less expensive food and accommodation) but when retired your options are limited, and then there is local inflation.

Dodger
July 23rd, 2015, 17:37
Up2u...

You make a very good point.

I think it would be wise to hope for the best and plan for the worst when retiring regardless of where one choses to retire for the reasons you stated.

fountainhall
July 23rd, 2015, 19:32
It is very critical. Many farangs retired here years ago on small pensions and thought they were living like kings when the dollar was 45 and the pound over 70. They unknowingly made retirement decisions based on those exchange rates and then reality struck as the baht along with other Asian currencies strengthened dramatically.

The key word here is clearly "unknowingly". With respect, though, anyone who based their retirement decisions solely on those exchange rates was living in some kind of cloud cuckoo land and had certainly done very little research. For about 12 years, the Baht had been held at a fixed exchange rate of US$1 = Bt. 25. As the speculators moved in in 1996 and 1997, the inept Thai government spent the country's entire foreign exchange reserves trying to maintain an increasingly unsupportable rate. The result on 2 July 1997 was the start of what became known as the Asian Economic Crisis. The baht fell 10% against the US$ in a matter of days. Within six months it had lost half its value. All Asian currencies ended up being affected, apart from the Chinese RMB and the Hong Kong dollar - the latter being totally linked to the US dollar.

However, the Baht - like all Asian currencies - then started the long climb back. By mid-1998 it was back to under 40 against the US dollar. By end 1998 it was down to 36. It never hit 45 again apart from a very brief period near the end of 2001.

Sterling saw a similarly dramatic rise after July 1997. But it has been much more volatile against the US$ and had major peaks in the mid-2000s when it was trading at over ┬г1 = US$2. Hence its rate against the Baht has shown greater variation. But the overriding long-term effect was essentially the same - downwards.

No-one should make make major retirement decisions based on the exchange rate at any one moment in time - the more so in a situation of extreme crisis or when one currency is historically abnormally high against another.

Up2U
July 23rd, 2015, 21:15
I agree with the above. It was easy a choice for some, retire as an elderly gay man living in a big city slum on a meager pension, or live like a king (or queen) in an exotic Bangkok, Pattaya or CM. I know a few who have had to repatriate for financial/health reasons and the strong baht was a factor.

fountainhall
July 23rd, 2015, 22:00
I know a couple who are in some financial difficulty. But their problem is not the exchange rate. It arose with the global financial recession of 2008 which resulted in savings pots generating a mere fraction of the interest they fully expected to receive prior to the crisis. When you have been told by all and sundry that you will safely earn 5% - 6% interest - or even more - and that drops to between 1% - 2% over 6 years and more, the nett accumulated loss is pretty severe.

Up2U
July 23rd, 2015, 22:14
I know friends that live off of social security only (no savings) and manage, but I know I couldn't do it myself. Any exchange rate relief is a blessing.

Dodger
July 24th, 2015, 06:51
The link below shows the 10 year trend in Thai Baht to the U.S. Dollar.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... B&view=10Y (http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=10Y)

No one can predict (some try) how much the exchange rate will fluxuate in the future - but for retirement planning purposes a person could reasonably budget his/hers retirement on an excahnge rate of 29 TBt/$1 U.S. which has been the low over the past 10 year period. Having said that, I personally wouldn't plan my retirement budget solely on the exchange rate as there are many others financial factors that have to be considered.

marti
July 24th, 2015, 08:55
That's a real laugh. A scott complaining about another person being cheap.

fountainhall
July 24th, 2015, 11:05
. . . for retirement planning purposes a person could reasonably budget his/hers retirement on an excahnge rate of 29 TBt/$1 U.S. which has been the low over the past 10 year period. Having said that, I personally wouldn't plan my retirement budget solely on the exchange rate as there are many others financial factors that have to be considered.

There are so many factors we know little or nothing about that contribute to actual exchange rates that they should play just a very small part in the thinking about retirement. Here's the Thai baht against the US$ graph since the early 1980s -

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/thailand-currency.png (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/thailand-currency.png.html)

I realise that some arbitrary rate has to be considered at least for budgetary purposes. But whereas there were specific reasons for the huge spike in 1997 in Thailand, anyone retiring to Thailand in 1995 would have reasonably expected the exchange rate peg to continue and certainly would not have known the speculators' tsunami was coming. Here's another example. Check the rate for the Australian dollar against the US$ for the same period. Once again you have huge volatility with a 50%+ relative halving of the currency between 1981 and 2001 -

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/fountainhall/imggraph.php.png (http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/fountainhall/media/imggraph.php.png.html)

I've made too many financial mistakes in my life to give advice to anyone. All I can suggest is that prospective retirees must never base relocation decisions on existing exchange rates and be prepared for wide spreads over the years. Have your nest eggs in a basket of currencies so that you have some degree of asset protection in the event that one or more crash. And once you have moved, do you have sufficient assets to withstand yet another global crash like the bursting of the dot-com bubble in 2000 and the 2008 recession?

Up2U
July 24th, 2015, 12:27
The baht was "fixed" using a complicated formula linked to the dollar throughout most of 80s and 90s. When it was allowed to "float" in response to the Asian economic crisis it spiked and we of course were doing cartwheels. It is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback but many financial decisions were made on these high exchange rates. I signed a long term condo contract in 2005 and watched the dollar sink over the term of the contract. Like others I shouldn't be giving financial advise but most advisors agree to secure the costs of your primary residence, that means don't go into retirement with a mortgage or paying rent. If you are committed to Thailand and if you have money in dollars I see a buying opportunity.

anonone
July 25th, 2015, 22:58
Just keeps climbing...

34.91 at the moment...35 in our immediate future? Higher?

Dodger
July 26th, 2015, 15:12
Up2U wrote:

Like others I shouldn't be giving financial advise but most advisors agree to secure the costs of your primary residence, that means don't go into retirement with a mortgage or paying rent. If you are committed to Thailand and if you have money in dollars I see a buying opportunity.

I agree. After being a renter in LOS for the 17 years I decided to make the move and purchase a condo to help mitigate the risk associated with the fluctuating exchange rates after I retire. I made the purchase when the dollar was fairly strong against the Baht and the housing market was at an all-time low when bargains could be found...and conditions are even better now.

July 27th, 2015, 08:17
store.bmiresearch.com/thailand-country-risk-report.html

travelerjim
July 29th, 2015, 10:37
Exchanged $100 US bills at TT in Pattaya, Beach Road
Received 34.79 Thb / US$
Tuesday night July 28th

Superrich in Bangkok is quoting 34.80 / US$ this Wednesday morning
http://superrich1965.com/

Bangkok Bank was offering 34.50 Thb/US$ Tuesday night.

tj

MiniMee
July 29th, 2015, 13:49
Wow! By searching out that preferential rate at TT, rather than simply changing your 100 bucks at Bangkok Bank, you are now 29 baht better off!

Time to go a little crazy and buy yourself a treat from 7-11.

travelerjim
July 30th, 2015, 21:35
Multiply that by $1,000 or $2,000 or $3,000.....
As a resident expat retired 8 years ago here in Thailand...when the Thb = 36
The upside is better than the downside of 29.5 Thb we were getting not long ago.
tj

anonone
July 30th, 2015, 22:58
Just keeps climbing...

34.91 at the moment...35 in our immediate future? Higher?

Yep. 35.19 at the moment. Climb baby !

Dodger
July 31st, 2015, 00:47
I can see it plateauing at 37 by years end...and I haven't the foggiest clue why as I know absolutely nothing about this financial stuff...just a gut instinct.

Come on baby...climb like the devil and soar above the clouds.

travelerjim
July 31st, 2015, 08:51
Quoting 34.95 at superrich in Bangkok Friday morning
Reached 35.00 last night.

The below rates are subject to change without prior notice.
Please contact our foreign currency service counter for confirm rates.
These rates are applicable for business hours from 9.00 am - 6.00 pm. at the RAJADUMRI and SILOM branch only

tj

Up2U
July 31st, 2015, 18:01
I can see it plateauing at 37 by years end...and I haven't the foggiest clue why as I know absolutely nothing about this financial stuff...just a gut instinct.

Well you could be right IF the big event occurs, I will be happy if we make it to 36.

francois
July 31st, 2015, 20:15
My financial guru told me 6 months ago that the exchange rate would go to 40 TB/USD by end of 2015. Hope he is right.

travelerjim
July 31st, 2015, 23:14
Superrich in Bangkok 35.12 Thb / $ close on Friday July 31st

tj

Manforallseasons
August 6th, 2015, 23:36
The dollar broke 35 baht today!

August 7th, 2015, 07:45
The dollar broke 35 baht today!
Generally known as "the Generals don't have a fucking clue" http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/06/b ... -weak-baht (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/08/06/bank-thailand-struggles-weak-baht)

cdnmatt
August 30th, 2015, 20:52
Just pulled out 30,000 earlier tonight from a Bangkok Bank ATM, and got 25.8 THB / $1 CAD out of the deal.

Well, that sucks ass...

Up2U
September 1st, 2015, 17:05
Just completed ATM withdrawal using my VISA Plus card. 35.77

oldfarang
September 8th, 2015, 05:50
As of today 36+ baht per USA dollar.

At these rates getting higher and higher the past months, we can look forward to 40+ again by New Year :ymparty:

Manforallseasons
September 8th, 2015, 07:33
Today's official rate is 36.13 as of this posting.

thaiguest
September 8th, 2015, 08:58

I'm happy if you're happy and if this trend keeps our go-go bars filled with cuties on the back of the soaring green-back but is there not a downside to the strong dollar also?
Less tourists in the USA and export markets more difficult to penetrate resulting in less jobs at home thus less cash in the collective pension moneypot resulting in belt-tightening by US expats and less cuties in the go-go bars here for instance?
Sorry for a quick edit; would a go-go bar trend graph/index not be a usefull tool to include in all this global currency analysis?

Dodger
September 8th, 2015, 17:35
thaiguest...

More tourists = more spending = more boys = more fun.

Up2U
September 8th, 2015, 17:51
thaiguest...

More tourists = more spending = more boys = more fun.
Against the backdrop of a weaker Thai baht.

Up2U
October 1st, 2015, 08:33
36.33 from the ATM yesterday.

BOY69
October 2nd, 2015, 04:03
You can blame the ruling Junta on that :)

bruce_nyc
October 2nd, 2015, 23:38
Blame? Or Thank? ...... depending on your perspective.

October 5th, 2015, 18:32
You can blame the ruling Junta on that :)
That's actually complete nonsense, as this piece in the Jakarta Post (http://jakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/business/thailand-ages-itself-out-of-asean-growth/) shows. Warning Bruce - it contains many long words.

Central bank Governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul likened the country to a patient with flu and arthritis -- the flu being an export slowdown caught from the global economy and the arthritis being the country's own structural problems

Thailand's working-age population is forecast to peak in 2017 - no wonder the country is flooded with "working boys" from countries where that is not the case

Up2U
October 7th, 2015, 16:15
The dollar has not fared well the last few days and I was checking fx trading live and it had dipped below 36.