PDA

View Full Version : Laos in June, with a bit of Mukdahan.

dinagam
June 25th, 2015, 20:59
Mid-June is generally very hot, and is even hotter in the towns straddling the Mekong river. I started off this short trip in Mukdahan, which is best reached by flights to nearby airports in Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon, or Ubon Rachathani. I had chosen the latter for reasons of flight connectivity from Kuala Lumpur via Don Muang.
From Ubon airport I took a van(baht 350) for the 2.5 hours ride, and was dropped off at the Riverfront hotel right at the Mekong riverfront. Checked-in past 10pm(baht 850 for a comfortable std room with buffet breakfast).

Day 2 : Tour of Mukdahan tower & Manorom hill. The topography of Mukdahan is pleasant, bordered by hills nearby & the vast Mekong river, with pleasant inhabitants. From both sites one could take in the awesome views with Savannakhet just across the river. For those who like shopping the Indochina market could offer some distractions.
Gay impressions : Many guys online but some located across the river.

Day 3 : I checked-out after breakfast , got on the international bus to Savannakhet(baht 50), taking 45 minutes to reach Savannakhet bus station. Tuk2 to Saeng Sabai hotel by the riverfront(baht 100), with the room costing 1,200 baht inclusive of breakfast. A comparable room in Thailand would cost 300 baht less.
Within 30 minutes of checking in, my Facebook friend in Savannakhet was knocking on my door. Was it a hot & steamy afternoon? After a short siesta my friend dropped me off at a museum, for me to explore the small town on my own. Dinner on the river at sunset was made more pleasant by the attentive waiter.

Day 4 : After breakfast my friend came to fetch me to the bus station for my trip to Thakhek, which took 3 hours(30,000 kip). Checked into another riverfront hotel called Mekong(580 baht), which faced the Mekong river, with a splendid sunset over the beautiful lights of Nakhon Phanom town in Thailand.
In the evening, another Facebook friend came knocking on my room door, albeit 30 minutes late. We had some fun nevertheless, despite him not speaking English.

Day 5 : The relentless heat caused the thermometer to hit close to 40C. I only managed to get to wat Sikotabong late in the afternoon. The many interesting caves in the surrounding hills will have to wait another day, in winter.
The unrelenting heat was a good excuse for me to linger longer in the hotel restaurant enjoying Vietnamese food & coffee, served by a cute Vietnamese waiter.

Day 6 : After breakfast on eel porridge & Vietnamese coffee, I was off to Vientiane by bus(80,000 kip VIP bus), which took 6 hours. At the southern bus station I took bus #159 to Talad Sao(6,000 kip), and from there walked to my hotel.
Gay impressions - lots of guys online, prompt replies generally came from moneyboys.

Day 7 : Couldn't locate Heng2 massage near Chinese market. Instead I had a 90 minute massage at Wellness for 85,000 kip.
Having visited Vientiane many times already, I normally spend my time here going for my favorite foods and watching sunset by the Mekong river.

Day 8 : Left Vientiane in the morning for Kuala Lumpur.