PDA

View Full Version : B/f goes for visa this week. wish us luck!!

June 26th, 2006, 00:58
after spending 4 weeks getting lots of UK paperwork, bank statements, copy passport, telephone details, letter from work, etc.....
but i think my b/f only has 10% chance but worth a try.

the joy if he get one will be great, whole family in Issan waiting for news. if he doesn't think there be tears for sure. I know he will be thinking i will change b/f for one who can get visa. hope he gets one though and spend 3 months in England.
me working as usual.

my b/f know i am lucky and have good work so hope he can handle bad news if it comes.

anyone here had b/f get refusal. hows is best handled?

Jing.

June 26th, 2006, 01:11
Keep the faith. You have to believe he will get it! Good luck and when he gets it hope he really enjoys his vist here. hes in for quite a culture shock!

colmx
June 26th, 2006, 01:54
Hi Jingmith

It took us 1.5 years to get my BFs first successful visa (for Ireland) we are in the middle of applying for his 2nd at the moment

The worst part about a visa refusal will be your BFs face loss amongst his peers

He has probably told all his friends he is going to europe and they will expect him to get a visa.

Unfortunately (for those of us outside the Schengen countries) it is so easy for Thais to get visa for Gerany/Belgium/Finland/Norway/Holland and they are unable to understand why YOU can not get HIM a visa for your country too...

Best of luck with the application!
And remember if you fail... the best medicine is to book another flight ASAP to the LOS!

June 30th, 2006, 04:17
All the very best of luck!

Do let us know how the process goes. Now that the visa application centre has started up in Bangkok there are no instant interviews, and no same day results I think?? Plus the added cost.

My boyfriend goes to Bangkok next week to lodge his application for a Settlement Visa for the UK.

Cheers!

Hmmm
June 30th, 2006, 20:05
Unfortunately (for those of us outside the Schengen countries) it is so easy for Thais to get visa for Gerany/Belgium/Finland/Norway/Holland and they are unable to understand why YOU can not get HIM a visa for your country too...

Do you know if the relative ease of getting a Thai guy into a Schengen country as a tourist only applies if 'sponsored' by a resident of those countries ?

July 1st, 2006, 00:05
Good luck to you all... Colmx, Jing and TrickyRich.
What a fantastic experience it will be for you all (including bf's) if you can get through all the red tape.
Fingers crossed :albino:

colmx
July 1st, 2006, 01:32
Hi Hmmm
I believe that Traveller Jim and some other US based posters on this forum have succeeded in Getting their Thai Bfs schengen Visas for Europr.

I believe Germany, Holland,Belgium, Italy and the Scandinavian countries are the easiest to get a visa for...

The visa would be based on:
-Him having enough money of his own to cover his own expenses
-Full itinerary, including provisional flight bookings, hotel and internal transportation booking
-Your Accompanyment

But i have no real expertise on this matter (only semi-expertise on Visa for Ireland!)

TJ or some others may be able to expand on this..

July 8th, 2006, 02:35
Myb/f today failed to get visa for UK. the process took three days and no interviews. the reason given, as expected, was that he did not have a letter from his employer, he said he was my b/f but could not show he had enough reason to leave UK, no real assets )property) and no real family ties. I think the main reason was that he could not prove he had regular work (not bar boy) in BKK. the also commented that one of my letter and letter from my employer had one digit wrong on my telephone number. a typing error. maybe that was to make him feel better. I am in UK and my b/f went along and burst into to tears when he was told no visa. now had tears on phone and does not want to try again. he says if he has 3 fails he can not leave LOS. in the past we have been Malaysia and hong kong.

bad luck i guess but not surprised.

Impulse
July 8th, 2006, 04:39
Goodluck Jingmith!Will you leave your bf if he gets denied?I know what a headache all the paperwork is,I went thru the process for my filipina wife.I would never want to go thru it again.I hope if he comes over he wont change too much.

bing
July 8th, 2006, 09:27
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You will have a great time.

bing
July 8th, 2006, 09:31
On second reading of your post. If he does not get it, you be there and assure him you will not toss him out for one who can get visa. I'm sure you would do this anyways.

July 8th, 2006, 13:44
Thats gut wrenching Jingmith, double pain of the refusal and then having to console the poor guy

I feel for you :-(

I hope you guys find a way forward past all this...

July 8th, 2006, 15:24
Jingmith, I am so sorry that your boyfriend did not get the visa. It must have been terrible for him, "loss of face" too because he will have been talking to all his friends and family about travelling to the UK. You must be feeling bad too.......

Will you encourage him to try again or not?

This was a dilemma I faced when we were applying for the holiday visa in March. To be honest I had already decided that I could not face a long-distance relationship. Living so far apart for the two years since we met has been really hard. It got easier (a bit) when he voluntarily left the bar business and went to work in a restaurant. But he is still a young man with a high sex drive (another good reason for wanting to marry him!!) and surrounded by temptation. Long distance would not work, I would go mad, and probably drive him mad too.

Therefore if we fail to get the settlement visa this time, we shall definitely appeal and go on trying.

Please don't give up? Maybe if he wants this enough he would consider a job outside the bar trade for a few months before trying again?

My best to you both!

July 8th, 2006, 18:47
so sorry jingsmoth! keep the faith. You will see him soon.

July 8th, 2006, 20:20
Jingmith, sorry for you and your boyfriend. If you in Thailand go together your boyfriend to your embassy , you both have a lot more defense ! Seems to me they refuse the visa just like they make a hole in the air ! Your country has a law about tourist visa and if you follow that law there is nobody go can refuse the visa for your friend. In your case i put my lower on it ! ( i am not "pretending", just try to help !).

July 9th, 2006, 16:06
Myb/f today failed to get visa for UK. the process took three days and no interviews. the reason given, as expected, was that he did not have a letter from his employer, he said he was my b/f but could not show he had enough reason to leave UK, no real assets )property) and no real family ties. I think the main reason was that he could not prove he had regular work (not bar boy) in BKK..

It is absoulutely sesential that your B/F can show he has a job and has reason to return to Thailand.

Your own financial standing will not sway the decision one way or another, all the Embassy are interested in is 'Will he return to Thailand or will he possible become a burden of the British taxpayer? A job, a bank account with regular income showing and even better a stable family background will all count towards him being granted a Visa.

My own B/F at his first time of trying last November (aged 18) was granted a Visa to travel with me to visit my family in the UK. B/F was in full time education, had a p/t job at my place of work and also had a place waiting for him at University. The visa was granted in a matter of weeks and a second Visa has been granted for our next trip in a few months time.

Tell him to try again in maybe 9 months - 1 year's time but in the interim to find himself a regular job of work (not the bars) and remember that although your letters of support are taken into account when looking at the Visa application they are not the determining factor no matter how finacially well-off you are.

July 9th, 2006, 18:32
The easiest way is to put several thousand baht in passport when handing over passport. Sorted!

colmx
July 9th, 2006, 20:39
To Balziel:
I think you will find that the visa rules governing the UK (and Ireland for that matter) are quite different to those in the schengen countries such as belgium.

It is incredibly harder to get a visa for UK as at the end of the day its dow to the "opinion" of the Visa officer as to whether they grant the visa or not. They are not answerab,e to anybody and make decisions based on their "gut instincts" (or some cynics say based on the humours!)

To Jingmith:
AS NBN points out the most essential thing for a Thai to have is a reason to go home at the end of the visa...
These should include:
-Good Job (non bar work)
-Letter from reputable school - if hes a student
-Family Ties in Thailand (but no wife or Kids - as they will hold this against him - perhaps he is going to UK to earn money to support them)
-Previous Travel History
-Non Brand-new passport
-Land and/or property in thailand
- No large deposits into his bank account - in last 6 months

Now that you have been refused it is suggested (by those over on Thaivisa.com) that you wait 9-12 months before trying again... A long time to wait... but it will unltimately be worth it!

My BFs first visa took 1.5 years to get.... But in the end the pain was worth the rewards!

July 9th, 2006, 23:37
The easiest way is to put several thousand baht in passport when handing over passport. Sorted!

I hope quote above is for to laugh !

For Belgium it is the ministry of foreign affairs in Brussels go make the decision to make the visa( or not ) and not the embassy in Thailand. Thats way it takes one month to make the visa.

For colmx . I hope more countries getting part of Shengen in the future ! :cheers: