PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of a wasp's nest?

cdnmatt
June 17th, 2015, 05:19
Not really gay related, but is Thailand related. What do you guys do when you get a wasp's nest in your yard?

I read up on them a bit, and it said there's a decent chance they'll just leave and move along to somewhere new on their own. That doesn't appear to be happening with this nest though, as it just keeps getting bigger. My one (Thai female) neighbour think I should set it on fire, but heh, gotta admit, I don't think that's a very good idea. I'm quite confident that would just result in me getting 30+ stings, while burning all bushes / flowers in my front garden bed to the ground.

So what do I do with this thing? My best guess is to dress myself head to toe -- ski-mask, boots, the whole bit. Then get a straw rice sack, cut the nest off into it, and immediately put it into one of those white air-tight barrels they use for plaster, etc. Then drown the fuckers. As far as I know, there is no pest control in Khon Kaen, so you're on your own. I guess I could probably pay some poor guy 1000 baht to poke around with it and get stung like crazy trying to remove it, but that seems a little rude.

dab69
June 17th, 2015, 06:26
if no can of spray insecticide is available just flip said bucket overtop the nest for a few days in the hot sun
with no water at such a time they are all asleep and in the nest.
maybe soak the ground around the outside so no easy way out and a good seal. (what a cruel way to go.)
wasps are usually docile unless you are threatening or wind is blowing them around.

cdnmatt
June 17th, 2015, 12:46
Yeah, they're really docile right now, and aren't causing problems for either myself or my dogs. At least neither of my dogs have ever came to me crying in pain because of a bite, so I'm assuming they know to leave the wasp's alone. Nonethless, the nest keeps getting bigger, so I can't let them live here forever.

I don't think the spray cans of stuff will work, due to where it's located. Front garden bed, and opening of the nest is facing the street. I can spray it from the street, but that's about 3 - 4 feet, and doubt it will work. Otherwise, I can go through the thorn bush into the garden bed, put my back up against the front wall, and spray the nest from there, but for some reason I don't think that's a good idea either. :)

I'll head to Home Pro and see if I can find some concentrate of that solution, and one of those "pump canisters" or whatever they're called, that are generally used for commercial application. You know what I mean... those plastic cansisters you pump from the top. They spray a good 10 feet, so that will easily hit the nest from the street.

Manforallseasons
June 17th, 2015, 20:52
There is another gay board located in Pattaya that is likely to deal with questions like this as well as how to use a bread machine, where to buy mascavado sugar etc.

goji
June 18th, 2015, 03:58
Is the nest hanging? Use something like a garden hoe to drop it into a bucket partially filled with water. Whilst dressed as best you can be.
Retreat rapidly.

When things settle down, come out and put a lid on the bucket.

(Warning: I have never tried this)

BonTong
June 18th, 2015, 12:40
I don't know about wasps, but bees are considered very good luck if they come and build a nest in your garden. It would be considered bad form to kill them!

I've had the bees arrive in a big swarm, hanging from a tree; looks like a nest but actually its just a big mass of bees. They stay around for a few days and then disappear.

Surfcrest
June 19th, 2015, 11:41
We had them every odd year on the farm I grew up on. My Dad would go up to them at night with a bag, put it over the nest and yank it off it's lodging stem and then put the closed bag out in the field for them to escape from in time. He got stung on occasion, but it didn't seem to fizzle him any. When it became my job, I found a good hardball from a distance was enough to take the nest down. That's best done in the day when most are away from the nest...and you can see the nest you're throwing the ball at. Once in awhile they'd come right back, but mostly they'd move on to a safer spot.

I've never seen anyone spray or burn or drown them, but I think there'd be a million ways for that to go wrong and hundreds of stings, especially in the wrong places might be enough to kill you.

I think there are beekeepers in Thailand you might call as well for help or advice.

Surfcrest

Bobett
June 19th, 2015, 14:46
Try spraying the nest with parafin or gasoline. use a fine spray and soak the nest well. This will kill everything in the nest. DO NOT set it on fire!! When you spray stand well back.

I used to be an exterminater in uk but we had the sprays and powders for this. I dont know if they have them in Thailand but parafin or gasoline will do the job.

thaiguest
June 25th, 2015, 02:55
You're the adult in this homosapiens/insect relationship. Can you not find a way to throw out the bath water without killing the child?