PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Bar has big crowds the dinner nights.

lonelywombat
June 5th, 2015, 10:34
Several weeks back I arrived in Pattaya and had made an appointment to meet a friend at The Colonial bar on the wednesday night.

I arrived over the weekend, called in for a few beers and was annoyed to receive beer that was not cold even though the fridge was getting very little work. It was obvious when they sold a bottle or two they replaced them from stock and delivered those warm or not really cold bottles to the table. I pointed out that previously I had always got a cold bottle every time I was there. They improved a lot from then.

The crowds on the weekend and the Tuesday were low and I wondered how they kept the bar open

Wednesday Night I arrived and found well over 20 in the bar , I noticed several leaving and others came in after me. We had to queue to get our cold beers and they were cold and then I was asked if I was ordering dinner. It was sausages with mash potatoes with onion gravy, 125 baht Why not? My friend was tired.

In the past I had noticed when they had meals, that many served themselves several repeats and there was a number of take aways at the same price

Whatever the meals 3 nights a week have bought trade back into the bar. These were not drinking water and walking out but staying a lot drinking house wine.
We guessed that probably 30+ were in the bar that night. Hopefully they can hang onto those numbers.

lonelywombat
June 7th, 2015, 18:01
I have been asked about the Colonial rooms for visitors. I have not been upstairs and I am not sure where the entrance is after hours.

The new owner does live on the premises . He told me that when we met over a drink. There has been several members who have stayed there and perhaps if you do a search you might get more info.

I have heard no bad reports.

egel
June 15th, 2015, 18:51
Whatever the meals 3 nights a week have bought trade back into the bar
So when are the nights?? It doesnt even say on their website....

lonelywombat
June 16th, 2015, 09:47
Monday,wednesday and friday nights. Big crowd again with as many as in my original post, in the bar.

Last night was the chicken night and several of the old crowd were back having second and third huge helpings, without paying extra.

I think this is ripping the owner off. I wonder did he have more than a small bottle of water

BTW have had several request re the condos there. I have heard they are very reasonable in price, and I do not know the after hours entrance details.

lonelywombat
June 25th, 2015, 09:44
Email this morning form Pattaya

Had dinner at colonial last night and it was the busiest l have seen it in the 5 years l have been coming. Offered was a sensational cottage pie. No idea what the difference is between cottage n shepherd pie

The comment made later on was there were more in Colonial, than all the other Sunee bars they looked into later

newalaan2
June 28th, 2015, 03:38
Had dinner at colonial last night and it was the busiest l have seen it in the 5 years l have been coming. Offered was a sensational cottage pie. No idea what the difference is between cottage n shepherd pieThe comment made later on was there were more in Colonial, than all the other Sunee bars they looked into later
Yes, I was in by on Wed without knowing in advance what the menu was. Nice surprise when I found out it was cottage pie as I had mentioned the previous week to Warwick the owner I had a nice serving of Cottage Pie at Palmers one night I craved some western food. Very nice the Colonial version was too, with a few customers coming up to compliment 'the chef'. Served in individual-portion ceramic dishes, the first lot went quite quickly and a second lot was set out. It is served from about 7pm, and I've usually eaten by this time but was still on the go from late afternoon so hadn't eaten yet, not sure how busy after I left 8-ish. Had a Leo beer, red wine and the cottage pie for under Bt280, very good value. It has been quite busy (compared to other places) all the nights I have been there, but all before 8pm.

Shepherds pie= minced lamb/mashed potato topping. Cottage pie= minced beef and veg/mashed potato topping.

BTW have had several request re the condos there
Why would 'several' contact you about Colonial rooms rather than just contact the Colonial themselves?

and I do not know the after hours entrance details.
The same back lane opposite Forest Bar/Ouds Caf├й as used for rooms above old Topman bar. This last week all rooms at Colonial were taken bar one of the 8 available, quite good for low season.

lonelywombat
June 28th, 2015, 07:27
BTW have had several request re the condos there
Why would 'several' contact you about Colonial rooms rather than just contact the Colonial themselves?

The same back lane opposite Forest Bar/Ouds Caf├й as used for rooms above old Topman bar. This last week all rooms at Colonial were taken bar one of the 8 available, quite good for low season.

I am surprised that you do not have any communication with readers that post to forums or the many that don't. Why should they have to post any questions to Sawatdee to suit you?

June 28th, 2015, 10:11
The same back lane opposite Forest Bar/Ouds Caf├й as used for rooms above old Topman bar.
Ah yes, the rear entrance. So appropriate.

lonelywombat
July 2nd, 2015, 12:02
Another huge night last night at Colonial Bar. It being Canada's National day and the Canadians had huge thirsts, the night went longer than usual, with the headaches this morning to remember.

lonelywombat
July 2nd, 2015, 14:48
Just got a further email from my friend that originally asked about Colonial Rooms. Told him several posters resented he had asked me in email for details. WCAF?

He replied back with a link he had got from gaybuttons I think, of large studios, with rent of about 12000 baht per month.[400 baht per night]

All I could say is they looked good value for the price he wanted. Maybe not me but they are available

http://www.colonialpattaya.com/our-rooms/