PDA

View Full Version : Important Buddist Holiday Monday June 1st

Manforallseasons
May 31st, 2015, 22:59
Banks, government offices, and venues serving alcohol will be affected untill mid nite tomorrow, plan accordingly.

Surfcrest
June 1st, 2015, 00:42
It celebrates the birth, enlightenment and passing away of the Buddha. According to the Theravada Buddhist traditions observed in South East Asian countries, these three events all took place on the same day of the year, the full moon day of the Indian lunar month of Wisaka. Thus, the BuddhaтАЩs enlightenment took place on his thirty-fifth birthday and he passed away on his eightieth birthday. Wisaka, the sixth lunar month, usually falls in May. In most of these countries, including Thailand, it is an official public holiday.

oldfarang
June 1st, 2015, 04:13
Yes, plan ahead (too late now).
That reminds me of an holiday I had decades ago. There was a 3 days holiday, that started on a Monday. So 5 days all banks , offices and such would be closed. Of course did not know that and in those days no such things as ATM's.
Ran out of spending money on Monday and thought I go to get some more. No such luck of course. In the end I had to put my camera in a pawn shop for a few days just to have some money to get around. Got the camera back in the same condition on Thursday, but still was a "funny" experience.