PDA

View Full Version : All I need now is a man (or a boy)!

joe552
May 23rd, 2015, 17:26
Early indications in Ireland's referendum on same-sex marriage are that the proposal will be accepted by a substantial majority. Ireland is the first country in the world to put the issue to a popular vote. Makes me even more proud to be Irish. Now, if I only had someone to marry. :)

joe552
May 24th, 2015, 01:01
The result has just been announced and same-sex marriage has been approved with a majority of almost half a million votes of 2 million votes cast. Jubilant scenes in Dublin Castle where thousands have gathered to hear the result. A good day to be Irish and gay.

corky
May 24th, 2015, 03:25
At last the Irish people have raised two fingers at the bigots, haters and hypocrites of the Catholic Church.

Unfortunate title for this thread ... I would have preferred "Ireland tells Rome to Feck Off"

And everybody ... don't forget that Adolph Hitler was a Roman Catholic.

colmx
May 24th, 2015, 06:45
Indeed it is a proud day to be Gay and Irish...

So many people that i always assumed would be bigots and homophobic coming out in favour of the "gay" vote
Unfortunately (from my perspective) I also discovered just as many people that I considered to be friends and quite enlightened and liberal... were very anti-gay marriage... but more especially against potential furure gay adoption or gay surragacy during the recent campaign.. They do not want "those gays" to be allowed near children

Thankfully the majority of these people were from Eastern europe - therefore had no say in the vote.

As Corky says above separation of the church and state is now complete... the Catholic church no longer tells the (majority of) Irish people what the MUST do... even my conservative father voted YES for equality!

Smiles
May 24th, 2015, 09:34
Hearty congratulations to all the blarney kissers on Sawatdee.
Especially interesting in light of Ireland's very powerful Catholic history.
I don't know much about Ireland's demography, but I would make a reasonable guess that the under 50's took the day ... and also ~ as pointed out by Colmx above ~ the church's influence ain't what it used to be?

Poor old Joe! Now perhaps it's OK to try for a few alter boys.

fountainhall
May 24th, 2015, 11:34
I don't know much about Ireland's demography, but I would make a reasonable guess that the under 50's took the day ... and also ~ as pointed out by Colmx above ~ the church's influence ain't what it used to be?.
This result will surely have very considerable repercussions globally. It certainly seems that young voters in particular were mobilised by the subject and the debate - as they had been in the referendum on Scotland's Independence last year. Will we see more existing and aspiring politicians switch tactics somewhat to encourage this till now usually neglected section of the electorate? It would certainly make next year's US Presidential election far more interesting!

As for the Catholic Church, it surely must be seen as an utter disaster. Until relatively recently it held a virtual stranglehold on Irish thought and politics. That has now been shattered. One of its basic dogmas, that of the object of marriage being to produce children, is now being rejected by massive numbers with increasing rapidity. How does it even start to answer the many hugely difficult questions it will now be asked?

PeterUK
May 24th, 2015, 11:42
... alter boys

Ladyboys you mean? ;)

joe552
May 24th, 2015, 13:18
... alter boys

Ladyboys you mean? ;)

Ladyboys? No thanks. I think I'll stick with the Thai boys.

a447
May 24th, 2015, 16:25
Whilst not in favour of gay marriage - but I'm getting there - good on Ireland for putting it to a referendum.

Pressure is now on our Prime Minister to allow a referendum but as long as the conservatives are in power, there's no hope of that. Our PM is a staunch catholic. And a nutter, as well. He also awarded a knighthood to Prince Phillip, (on Australia Day!) so that gives you some idea of his lack of brain cells and how far he's removed from public sentiment.

Apparently, over 70% of Australians are in favour of gay marriage.

It will be interesting to see how many gay couples now actually take advantage of the new situation.

scottish-guy
May 24th, 2015, 18:44
I really can not understand the significant number of gay people who oppose equal marriage (I'm not directing this is at a447 as he makes no such statement).

Correct me if I'm wrong - but there is no suggestion of compulsion, only the provision of equal opportunity for those who wish to go down that road (and who can find a guy daft enough to take them on! (Nod to Joe)

The irony of the Catholic Church wishing to "protect" children from gays (or anybody else for that matter) is priceless!

Personally, I'd love to get married to my bf but I don't see how that can ever happen, given that the UK Home Secretary seems content to let everybody in the world into the UK except him specifically :)) , and the total unlikeliness of Vietnam introducing an equal marriage law anytime in the next 50 yrs (which is how long I expect to hang around).

So, well done the Republic of Ireland (I don't say "the Irish" because I believe the enlightenment has yet to spread to your (partitioned) neighbours? - but if I'm wrong about that, NIrish will rightly correct me.

joe552
May 24th, 2015, 19:23
You're right, SG - Northern Ireland does not permit gay marriage. As NIrish pointed out in his thread, it's hard enough to get a cake baked, let alone a wedding cake.

Btw, a question for colmx - could you bring over you BF and get married here now? and would you consider it?

corky
May 24th, 2015, 19:26
So, well done the Republic of Ireland (I don't say "the Irish" because I believe the enlightenment has yet to spread to your (partitioned) neighbours?
Not wanting to change the subject but ... don't delude yourself into thinking the majority of people in the Irish Republic want unification with the North. We're very happy that the UK Government has the responsibility for looking after the crazies in Ulster.

joe552
May 24th, 2015, 19:38
NIrish guy excepted, of course, corky?

a447
May 24th, 2015, 19:51
You're right, SG, I'm not opposed to it per se. It is just that I'm not in favour of it...yet. If a vote were held today, I'd vote informal. I'm sitting on the fence at the moment. But I am trying to come down on the side of gay marriage. I'm glad you picked up the difference.

The problem for me is the word "marriage" as it has always signified a union between a man and a woman - probably since the beginning of time and probably in every culture around the world. So it would be a huge cultural shift. (But if a different term were to be put forward without "marriage" I think the gay community would be justifiably upset.)

If I can get over that obstacle - and I think I will - I'll change my mind and support it.

So if our PM has an epiphany and decides to put it to a referendum, I hope he waits a little bit longer so I can get my shit together on the issue, so to speak.

christianpfc
May 24th, 2015, 20:41
And everybody ... don't forget that Adolph Hitler was a Roman Catholic.
Adolf Hitler (whatever he has to do with gay marriage in Ireland).

colmx
May 25th, 2015, 02:04
Btw, a question for colmx - could you bring over you BF and get married here now? and would you consider it?
I don't foresee any time in the future where BF and I will get married... Neither of us wants to be the wife LOL
I could have had him over for a civil union a few years ago.. Thing is we are kind expected to co-habitate for that... and Ireland is probably one of the last places on earth that he would want to live!

Interestingly there would be nice tax implications with either civil partnership or marriage - i would get taked 5200тВм less per year of i was to marry him (by absorbing his tax free credits) might be a difficult one to explain to the woman in payroll though!

joe552
May 25th, 2015, 02:45
colmx, I can understand him not wanting to live here, just wondering if you'd thought about it. What would you have to explain to the woman in payroll? That you're married to a man?

I asked the question a couple of weeks/months ago about what people would call their partner if they were married, because having 2 husbands in a relationship just didn't sound right to me. Apparently, the new law will use the word "spouse", hardly the most romantic word in the language. I'd be happy with partner. Don't know why.

francois
June 5th, 2015, 03:47
... alter boys

Ladyboys you mean? ;)

Good one, Peter, even if some others didn't get it.

Nirish guy
June 5th, 2015, 07:01
Yes Christian is right of course that Adolf Hilter has absolutely nothing to do with equal marriage in Ireland - thankfully - as if he had he would of course just have ordered and ensured that all gay people in Ireland or anywhere else for that matter were simply killed / murdered / wiped off the face of the earth, thus bingo, no need for any gay marriage law change.

So yes, thank you Christian for giving me the opportunity of reminding you and the rest of us of that very final solution / plan in your heros cunning master plan - which for you and the rest of us gays did of course thankfully fail.

oldfarang
June 7th, 2015, 12:03
Gay marriage or straight marriage is just a piece of paper that states that 2 people (at that point in life) would like to stay together for the rest of their lives. The question is why would you need a piece a paper for that?
Answer, simply because otherwise your partner or you, does not have any rights in case of big decisions (hospital and such) or automated property and equity if no will is in place after death. And there are many more reasons of just practical nature.

So why not, just as some countries have a legal partnership thing (whatever it is called, by I am sure you get what I mean).

It has all to do with the natural need of any human being to be accepted and be equal to and by everybody else and the (legal) system.

The gay community has come a long way since the 70-80's and are the last in line to be still really fighting for equality after first the women, blacks and other races. In these days even the woman and colored people are still not treated and seen equal (and yes some of them don't see gays as equal either and visa versa).

Will one day all be perfect regarding equality, probably, but not in our lifetime, but it will get better (as they say). My guess is when that day comes there will also be peace on earth. Yeah, humanity has grown up and now have the right to call themselves human (in the definition of 'being good and fair')

June 7th, 2015, 16:39
The alternative oldfarang is to abolish marriage altogether.

June 8th, 2015, 05:06
Try reading Helen Razer (http://www.mamamia.com.au/news/same-sex-marriage-why-are-we-all-banging-on-about-it/) on how the Australians have done it so much better.