PDA

View Full Version : latest sending money apps

dab69
May 23rd, 2015, 03:21
Friends birthday coming up soon and want to send him a little cash for his security and comfort.
Believe it or not, a picture of a money tansfer info sheet to fill out has gotten no response via Facebook messaging,
with requests for basic info from me from Google translate.

What are the boys familiar with as far as money transfers?
Western Union? [url]http://locations.westernunion.com/search/thailand/р╕И+р╕Кр╕ер╕Ър╕╕р╕гр╕⠕¡/pattaya/url]

someday we can send money via Facebook- oh goodie ( sarcasm)

joe552
May 23rd, 2015, 04:57
My friend prefers MoneyGram, although I've used Western Union too. Apparently, they can get MoneyGram cash within a few minutes, but must wait some hours for WU.

Not that I send huge amounts of cash very often, just for a birthday or the death of a buffalo.

francois
May 23rd, 2015, 05:27
As Joe mentions, MoneyGram is the best and easiest way to send money and cheaper than Western Union.
If you are in USA most CVS stores plus many supermarkets do MoneyGrams. Typically your Thai friend can pick the money up at a Thai Military Bank although some other banks also payout MoneyGrams.
You will need the correct spelling of his name, in English, and after sending the money you will have to send your friend the confirmation number of the MoneyGram and the amount and who sent the money.
Best done in person by you although it can be done on-line with a credit card.

Google Moneygram for more info.

Mancs
May 23rd, 2015, 06:18
They all seem to know about western union. I have not had to do any training courses on picking up money. The issue is sending enough money. One lad in bkk, who had said he had no money to eat, disdained picking up the ┬г20 I sent as being too little. I reclaimed it eventually, as I see ┬г20 (about 1,000 baht) as certainly worth bothering with. Another man, when I said no, sent a photo of an empty rice bowl and water bottle. I have had to adopt a stricter approach as the number of men who have had a 'buffalo die' or 'no rice' moment has expanded and many look to make it a regular income stream. I am fond of all of them and don't blame them for trying but I think we need to be a bit wary. I was amused by the story of an Australian woman, who sent 270,000 dollars to a scammer she had never met, getting round western union's limits by sending it in 10,000 dollar chunks.

May 23rd, 2015, 10:53
I always use bank transfer. They give me their legal name, their account number and Swift address of their bank and I send the money. In 3 or 4 business days it is on their account and they can use any ATM to get it. Strange your guys use these expensive options like Western Union and stuff.

francois
May 23rd, 2015, 11:18
Goosood, You are not living in USA, I think?

May 23rd, 2015, 11:44
Goosood, You are not living in USA, I think?

No Netherlands.
I can send the money by logging into my bank's website (we have a secure tool for that) and transfer the money to a Thai bank account.
In my country almost no-one ever walks into a bank office anymore. All major bank's have an Internet site where you can do all your banking business.

joe552
May 23rd, 2015, 13:02
Few of the guys I've known over the years have a bank account. And they tend to need the money now, not in 3 or 4 days. Admittedly, they were all working in bars, not professionals who would probably have a bank account.

Up2U
May 23rd, 2015, 13:35
I use BillPay from my U. S. Checking account. A check is cut and mailed to receiver's mailing address, no charge. PayPal is another option with funds sent electronically.

May 23rd, 2015, 14:41
Few of the guys I've known over the years have a bank account. And they tend to need the money now, not in 3 or 4 days. Admittedly, they were all working in bars, not professionals who would probably have a bank account.

I have send money to 5 guys now. Four of them are dates from Gayromeo. I know two of these work also in a beer bar (sometimes at least). So some are bar boys. The fifth is a hotel receptionist.
They all had bank accounts. They all are Thai nationals. I wouldn't be surprised if the huge majority of Thai nationals (not sure of Laos, Cambodia) have bank accounts.

So strange for me how we can have such a different experience! Five times I decided to send money to a boy and all these times I got their bank account number. Not once I received the reply "I do not have a bank account". You really almost always get the reply "I do not have a bank account"? Are your dates mostly from Laos? Cambodia? Vietnam?

Concerning the wait time, yes that is sometimes frustrating for them. But most can wait a few days. I reason like this: It can not be very urgent, because If they hadn't known me they wouldn't have got any money at all. Would all these boys have died if they had not had the luck to know me? Of course not. So how extremely urgent can it be that they can not wait 3, 4 days?

Oliver
May 23rd, 2015, 15:22
I used Western Union for years. It is efficient and quick....but very expensive, not just in terms of its fees but the exchange rates it offers. I too prefer the bank...in my case Lloyds . Much cheaper, equally reliable but slower. Four working days. A plus is that P.'s bank statement shows a regular income and will be useful when he needs a visa to visit me.

bobsaigon2
May 23rd, 2015, 15:40
I don't remember any Thai bar boy who didn't have a bank account. They used the account to send money home, to receive money from abroad. I've almost always used wire transfers from my US bank because I can't do Western Union from Vietnam, where I spend most of my time.

The guys who did not have bank accounts were the ones I met in Manila and Cebu. The Filipinos are much worse off than the Thais.

Up2U
May 23rd, 2015, 16:01
I use BillPay from my U. S. Checking account. A check is cut and mailed to receiver's mailing address, no charge. PayPal is another option with funds sent electronically.
I wasn't reading carefully, my comments were for sending money to someone not in Thailand. For sending money to a Thai boy I transferred money directly from my Thai bank account to his. I have had a Thai bank account since the last century, easy to get and most convenient. When I didn't have a Thai bank account I used Wester Union which I can't recommend because of the cost. That was my incentive for opening a Thai bank account.

May 23rd, 2015, 16:09
What is your prime motivation to send money to boys? Only charity? Or also to remind them you are generous, so they would love to stay in contact with you and you can meet them again next time?

For me that plays a role. One boy is often in Buriram with his family and I have to see him again. He is beyond hot/cute. I met him in March. So one reason I send now regularly money is that I hope he will come to Pattaya to see me when I am in Thailand on my next trip and he happens to be in Buriram. He wouldn't travel from Buriram to Pattaya for me if I was just a regular customer. I have not been able to test this theory yet, but I expect him because of this to be in Pattaya next time again so I can have him again. I have to have him again :-). He is in the top 0.1% of hotness.

So I give because I want to help sure, out of real charity feelings, but there is also with some boys a selfish reason involved in why I send money. How is that with your guys?

joe552
May 23rd, 2015, 16:56
It could well be that on the few occasions I've sent money, the boy just couldn't be bothered to wait while I transferred to a bank account. Instant gratification. I've rarely sent money in recent years, but my current "friend" is from Laos and I don't know if he has a bank account.

One of my motivations is to keep them interested for my next visit. It's a 2 way street.

christianpfc
May 23rd, 2015, 18:07
One lad in bkk, who had said he had no money to eat, disdained picking up the ┬г20 I sent as being too little. I reclaimed it eventually, as I see ┬г20 (about 1,000 baht) as certainly worth bothering with. Another man, when I said no, sent a photo of an empty rice bowl and water bottle.
Thank your for sharing, I haven't heard stories that gross before.

I had requests to send money online by several boys, so I assume they have a bank account. It's usually that they are in the province and don't have money to come to see me in Bangkok, however I estimate you can get from anywhere in Thailand to Bangkok for under 300 Baht.* Assuming I sent him 500 Baht for travel expenses, with prospect of 1000 Baht for short time, I would be very surprised if he turned up in Bangkok to see me. I have never sent money to a Thai boy, but I consider doing so as a way to contact them (phone numbers change often, some don't have facebook or change it from time to time; I guess a bank account stays for life). In Germany, you can add a text to a money transfer, unfortunately not in Thailand (I would send "this is Christian, call me xxx-xxx-xxxx" when everything else fails).

I have never used Western Union or Moneygram, but as far as I know, these institutions and standard banking screw you in many ways (base fee, unfavorable exchange rate), so for the boy to receive 2000 Baht you would have to send 2500 Baht.

What I do to transfer money from my Euro bank account to my Thai bank account is https://transferwise.com/ (there are similar services: azimo and worldremit) with total fees under 1% for a 1000 EUR transfer.

This takes some days, but I once read somewhere that Thai people can get free food and a place to sleep at any temple. Anyway, do you believe your boy that he has no money for food? Isn't it more like he has no money for beer? Whatever it is, it's more a case of poor budgeting than lack of money. And last, humans can go without food for weeks without lasting damage.

*(That could be turned into a TV show: release ChristianPFC anywhere in Thailand at 10 am after a good night's sleep and a decent breakfast with 300 Baht and give him 48 hours to reach Hua Lampong.)

francois
May 23rd, 2015, 21:00
I can send the money by logging into my bank's website (we have a secure tool for that) and transfer the money to a Thai bank account.

Goosood, what is the fee to do this transfer?

May 23rd, 2015, 21:29

Goosood, what is the fee to do this transfer?

You have two options:

1) You can choose for shared costs (SHA). This means you only pay your banks costs and the recipient (so the boy) pays the costs his bank charges. If I choose this I have to pay 5.50 EUR at my bank. But the disadvantage is that the boy also has to pay. My experience is that Thai banks on average charge 300 baht. So if I send 4000 he will get 3700 because the bank keeps 300 baht for itself.

2) The other option is that I pay all costs (OUR). And that is a lot more. Then it is about 20 EUR for the transfer (as you see my bank thinks the recipient banks charges more; I don't understand this). So better transfer high amount, else it is too expensive.

I often send 4000 so he can pay rent (rent prices are around 4000). Then in practice I really send 4300 (and not 4000) and I choose the option 'SHA'. Then he receives the 4000 which I had promised and which he expects and I only have to pay 5.50 EUR. That is cheaper than me sending 4000 and choosing for the option 'OUR'.

francois
May 23rd, 2015, 21:56
What is your prime motivation to send money to boys? Only charity? Or also to remind them you are generous, so they would love to stay in contact with you and you can meet them again next time?

For me, send money for service above and beyond the call of duty.

I do this rarely and only if I think they are in need and, of course, to keep in contact for the next time.

egel
May 24th, 2015, 01:40
An interesting thread.
So how much do you send? Am I sending too much or too little?
I usually send 5000 Bt.....and not every month. Usually every two months but may vary.
What do you send?

joe552
May 24th, 2015, 02:01
My friend recently celebrated his birthday so I sent тВм100 (around 4000Bt). But this is very much a once off contribution.

francois
May 24th, 2015, 03:00
An interesting thread.
So how much do you send? Am I sending too much or too little?
I usually send 5000 Bt.....and not every month. Usually every two months but may vary.
What do you send?

For me, it might be 3000 to 6000 Baht but usually about 3000.

Of course my long-time companion receives a more generous stipend on a regular basis. :x

I had asked Goodsood the cost of a wire transfer in order to compare to a MoneyGram. If sending small amounts such as up to 6000 TB a MoneyGram costs about 300 TB (all depends) . For sending large amounts then the wire transfer would be better option.

I can also transfer money on-line from my Bangkok Bank account (assuming there is any money in that account :() to someone else's account but only if they are per-registered as a recipient and can only pre-register someone while I am in Thailand (security issue).

lukylok
May 24th, 2015, 03:24
The only one I ever send money to is my special friend.
As I have a bank account in Thailand it costs me between 12 and 25 bahts, depending of the urgency of the move, ie immediate or within the next two days, and whatever the amount ! ;) ;)
But he never, ever, asked me for money !
But I do ! :)

May 24th, 2015, 12:16
I always send 4000. I can not afford giving him more. If I want to be able to go to Thailand four times a year I need to save for myself also (besides all the other things you need to save for).

Reading this thread I am glad to see I am normal - or even above normal - in the frequency (I give the boy I wrote about every month) and in the amount of what I give. I had the idea I was giving not much at all, because I got the idea the average Farang sends at least 10.000 baht each month to his boyfriend/special friend. I got that information from a Thai. He told me most gay boys in Pattaya receive money from one or more Farangs (well that at least seems to be true reading this thread; all of you give money) but also that the average Farang sends about 10.000 baht to his boyfriend every single month. Maybe that was his personal experience or he really got that number from the guys he talked too himself. That idea I do not see confirmed in this thread.

I am sure many Farang think they are the only special Farang friend for their boyfriend. I wouldn't be surprised if the most hottest among them have four of five of these 'special Farangs' and receive quite some interesting monthly income from them. Meanwhile each Farang thinking he is the only one who sends him money and is his only very special friend.

christianpfc
May 24th, 2015, 20:31
At the rather opulent fees quoted above, everyone who regularly has to send money would be best advised to set up a Thai bank account (how to do this as a tourist has been discussed) and do online banking from that account (after transferring one large sum from their home country). At least everyone here has the common sense to split their support in manageable sums (e.g. 4000 Baht every month for rent), instead of giving all of it for one year in advance.

francois
May 24th, 2015, 23:14
Reading this thread I am glad to see I am normal - or even above normal - in the frequency (I give the boy I wrote about every month) and in the amount of what I give. I had the idea I was giving not much at all, because I got the idea the average Farang sends at least 10.000 baht each month to his boyfriend/special friend.

Goosood; Don't confuse a boyfriend with a friend. Farang may occasionally spend small money (3000 Baht) to a Thai friend such as for birthday, charity, a retainer, etc however many farang send their boyfriend much more on a regular basis. You are correct the average farang with a Thai boyfriend probably does send 10,000 or more each month.

Another option to send money on a regular basis is to open a second account in your home country ,in your name ( maybe in his name if the bank will allow) ,and give your Thai friend an ATM card so he can withdraw funds.

Smiles
May 24th, 2015, 23:24
Another option to send money or a regular basis is to open a second account in your home country ,in your name ,and give your Thai friend an ATM card so he can withdraw funds.
That's actually the BEST way: you can kill a couple of birds with one stone.
(1) opening an account especially for your boyfriend ~ and make that clear, he has the only ATM card ~ demonstrates you are very serious about him.

(2) You have no more rip-off transfer fees to wade through: he pays them all when he withdraws :D ... as in, " ... look buster, I'm giving you money to do with what you want by opening up this account for you, so you can damn well pay any attached fees. It's only fair, right? And don't take it personally, it's business ... ". This maneuver would be well understood by all Thai guys.

(3) The foreign bank ATM card 'in-the-wallet' would give your guy an exceptional degree of face among his friends. Do not think that this is unimportant.

wyrleyboy
May 25th, 2015, 00:12
I tried the ATM card. It did not work!

My guy miscalculated and the account was overdrawn, which attracted a quite large penalty charge.

He used the card a second and third time to withdraw really small amounts, which in turn resulted in additional bank charges.
Really silly amounts like 100 baht attracting Euro 20 charges each time.

I had to close that account.

He has his own bank account now but regularly gets overdrawn to the full amount of his overdraft. Luckily he is earning enough for himself now. He even buys me a meal and drinks from time to time.

May 25th, 2015, 00:34
Reading this thread I am glad to see I am normal - or even above normal - in the frequency (I give the boy I wrote about every month) and in the amount of what I give. I had the idea I was giving not much at all, because I got the idea the average Farang sends at least 10.000 baht each month to his boyfriend/special friend.

Goosood; Don't confuse a boyfriend with a friend.

I do not confuse these terms. For me 'boyfriend' is when real love is involved, both ways!! 'Special friend' just a friend who is very special to you (probably because he is very hot and you want to keep him close to you).

But I often get the idea OTHERS use the word 'boyfriend' in the meaning of 'special friend'.

I find it hard to believe a 20 year old Thai boy can find real love for a 60 year old man. I am sure it happens sometimes. But this must be very very rare. In virtually all cases there is only one reason the boy is with the man: money. So when a 60 year old talks about his 20 year old 'boyfriend', then I think he is using the word in the meaning of "special friend" (in most cases).

egel
May 25th, 2015, 01:33
I got the idea the average Farang sends at least 10.000 baht each month to his boyfriend/special friend. I got that information from a Thai.

Haha...well he would try that on wouldn't he!

francois
May 25th, 2015, 05:21
I find it hard to believe a 20 year old Thai boy can find real love for a 60 year old man. I am sure it happens sometimes. But this must be very very rare. In virtually all cases there is only one reason the boy is with the man: money. So when a 60 year old talks about his 20 year old 'boyfriend', then I think he is using the word in the meaning of "special friend" (in most cases).

Gotta call them something? The French word is petit ami which means little friend. The Dutch word (I believe) is vriendje whatever that translates as?

Of course there is always[i] fuck friend! :ymdevil:

I suppose there are many meanings to boyfriend, here is one which seems appropriate:

[i]a male friend with whom a person is romantically or sexually involved; sweetheart or lover

As for an age difference of 40 years, all I can say is OUCH, that hurt! :ymtongue:

francois
May 25th, 2015, 05:34
I tried the ATM card. It did not work!

The card I gave the boyfriend is just for ATM usage and requires a PIN. Once I put an amount on the card I text him the amount and he will withdraw that amount . There is no overdraft protection so he cannot exceed what is there. Even if lost the card it is useless without the PIN and I can always view any withdraws on-line. So far so good!

anonone
May 25th, 2015, 19:19
At the rather opulent fees quoted above, everyone who regularly has to send money would be best advised to set up a Thai bank account (how to do this as a tourist has been discussed) and do online banking from that account (after transferring one large sum from their home country). At least everyone here has the common sense to split their support in manageable sums (e.g. 4000 Baht every month for rent), instead of giving all of it for one year in advance.

There is a downside to this for USA based guys. Once a foreign bank account hits certain balance limits, you are forced with reporting requirements by the USA government. I have been keeping my Thai bank balance low and use just for convenience items like topping up mobile credit.

Might be worthwhile to put some serious $ in the Thai bank to avoid the other charges, but I need to learn more about the reporting process and how much of a pain that would be. If the exchange rate really gets good (40 baht to the $ or something), then I will really be looking at this.

Brad the Impala
May 25th, 2015, 20:04
Thai friends in the UK transfer money to Thailand using A&B General, which they say gives them better exchange rates and minimal fees. http://www.abmoney.co.uk/?q=node/6

This seems to be borne out by it's site.

Smiles
May 26th, 2015, 02:17
" ... There is a downside to this for USA based guys. Once a foreign bank account hits certain balance limits, you are forced with reporting requirements by the USA government. I have been keeping my Thai bank balance low and use just for convenience items like topping up mobile credit.
Might be worthwhile to put some serious $ in the Thai bank to avoid the other charges, but I need to learn more about the reporting process and how much of a pain that would be. If the exchange rate really gets good (40 baht to the $ or something), then I will really be looking at this.
Anonone ... I just ran this by a good friend of mine (American) who lives in Chiang Mai, and has for 8 years now. He told me that there is limit of $10,000 (US) one can keep in a foreign account and be free and clear of any reportage whatsoever. The only proviso is that one must never go above $10,000 at any time to stay clear.
He keeps more than that amount in his account, and thus must report . . . although he says that it's a one simple form to fill in. He has never had any problem doing this.

francois
May 26th, 2015, 02:24
As Smiles said, there is a simple form which can be filled and filed on line; very easy.
I do this every year for all my accounts in Thailand. :^O

anonone
May 26th, 2015, 05:57
Thanks for the feedback. I might start funding my Thai account at greater levels then. Probably worth it over dealing with Western Union and their crap exchange rate/fees.

I use Charles Schwab for my overseas withdrawals as they refund ALL ATM fees, so I haven't really felt too pressured to change my process.

May 26th, 2015, 08:29
For members with a U.S. and a Thai bank account I recommend creating a Thailand based PayPal account. This will allow you to transfer money between the two accounts at close to zero fees

christianpfc
May 26th, 2015, 23:53
I vaguely remember, from being forced to use paypal for ebay transactions, that the fees are not negligible (a few percent when dealing in the same currency). When compared to other methods (with obscene fees as quoted above) to send money abroad (involving currency exchange) it might be a viable option.

But ebay's attempts to push paypal in the market, when there is not need for such a system (at least in Germany), and reading reports about frozen accounts and poor communication, made me an enemy of paypal.

Surfcrest
June 1st, 2015, 00:50
From Thailand Blogs for transferring money between Thailand and the UK.

http://www.thailand-blogs.com/2015/05/30/transfer-money-from-the-uk-to-thailand/

Surfcrest