PDA

View Full Version : The Tarntawan 17 years on: Intimations of Mortality

bobsaigon2
May 8th, 2015, 19:18
Some have theorized that the Tarntawan owners hope the establishment will one day qualify as a Thai National Tangible Asset and thus they refrain from making any alterations or improvements. The interiors look exactly as they did on my first visit in 1998. Yes, there is some new carpeting but even that now displays stains. E-safes have been added but can only be accessed by kneeling on the floor. The bathroom fittings remain a Tarntawan classic. No updating of fixtures, no increase in the meager water pressure, and the bathtubs still display TarntawanтАЩs signature cigarette burns on the rims and god-knows-what kind of stains on the bottom of the tubs.

And it looks like the original 1998 computer keyboards are still being used in the Business Center. Most of the letters have been worn off. The software performs with agonizing slowness.

But some of us come back here, year after year. I suppose itтАЩs because we feel at home, unchallenged, uncriticized, with at least a few of our contemporaries always in evidence. A bit like growing old at home and not noticing, or putting off, things that should be done in the house. The staff is always welcoming, unquestioning, helpful within their abilities (abilities which unfortunately do not include providing reliable Wifi service), and most of us do prefer to have security hold the ID of sex visitors. (In the past, when I had a boy staying with me for several days, I had him register as a guest, relieving him of the need to be checked upon every entrance).

This morning, one of the white haired guests left the hotel in a Bumrungrad Hospital Mobile ICU. He was able to walk from the hotel to the vehicle, so hopefully his condition was not too serious. This was not a scene which I enjoyed, since the same could happen to me at any moment. I would not want to retire to a 55+ community in America, where you have to witness ambulances arriving every day to remove one or more of your elderly mates. Much better to be in SE Asia, consorting with young people, avoiding mirrors.

So I got to the Tarntawan after my flight from Saigon, opened my checked luggage, and discovered I had been relieved of my MacBook Air, probably by baggage handlers in Vietnam. This visit to Bangkok has been extremely frustrating, needing to purchase and set up a new laptop and exploring strategies of staying connected with the TarntawanтАЩs Wifi routers (tip: Take your laptop downstairs and use it in the Business Center. Another tip, turn on the a/c in the Business Center).

Thank God. Thunder. I have been praying for rain. Suffocatingly hot in Saigon and Bangkok these days. Room 812 at the Tarntawan absorbs heat from the roof and outer wall.

Mantra Massage, opposite the entrance to the Montien. Just a few guys sitting outside, rarely more than one of them good looking. Climb interminable (to me) stairs to the massage room, with a massage table instead of a bed. My guy was from Udorn. Pleasant aura but couldnтАЩt cum because today he тАЬcum already in toiletтАЭ (or had a customer before I got there? or failed to appreciate my elderly charms? He did his best, but alas, only one of us came (cummed?).

On another day, I met a Lao boy at BonnyтАЩs with a superbly slim, smooth body. Had I been much younger, I would have made all sorts of foolish promises to keep him in my life. Wisdom comes with age. But life is probably more fun without the wisdom.

There was a very curious Englishman sitting at a nearby table at breakfast. Over sixty, bald, obese. At first I thought he was talking to himself, but then I overheard him talking with an imaginary companion, someone whom he addressed as a number. Seven? Eight? I couldnтАЩt catch everything he said.

Met an ex-bf who was sitting outside Bangkok Massage. HeтАЩs about 35 yrs old now and says itтАЩs more difficult for him to attract customers, so he makes sure to be available from 3pm till closing every day. He gave me a massage a couple of years ago. Yesterday I told him in all honesty that his massage was very tamada, not in any way exciting. He confessed that these days he doesnтАЩt тАЬfeel very hot down thereтАЭ. He suggested a four hand massage. He thinks that would excite him, and hopefully me. Never tried one before. Maybe tomorrow night.

Oliver
May 8th, 2015, 20:58
Thanks Bob....I enjoyed that. So sorry to hear of the problems you've encountered. The trouble with getting older is that we lose our resilience even before we lose our hair.

But as you know, Tarntawan will always be associated with my arrivals in Thailand- three times a year- and I am very forgiving when my morale is high. It seems like heaven when I walk through that lobby. In much the same way, the squid salad in Bua (Convent Road) is the best in the world.

goji
May 9th, 2015, 01:04
I've never been in the Tarntawan, however charging a very full price for rooms that sound as dated as your description sounds like a very optimistic practice.
Even if it does benefit from a very good location.

As for the laptop, well such valuable electronic items should always travel with hand luggage. Checking them into the hold is asking for problems.
To ease the hand luggage burden, I think buying a nice rucksack is the way forward.

Nirish guy
May 9th, 2015, 01:15
Checking them into the hold is asking for problems. To ease the hand luggage burden, I think buying a nice rucksack is the way forward.

But surely by doing the latter and thus having to do the former you're just leaving yourself open to the original theft risk problem all over again as I'm guessing the overage rucksack isn't considered hand luggage anymore on most airlines ?

joe552
May 9th, 2015, 02:32
Checking them into the hold is asking for problems. To ease the hand luggage burden, I think buying a nice rucksack is the way forward.

But surely by doing the latter and thus having to do the former you're just leaving yourself open to the original theft risk problem all over again as I'm guessing the overage rucksack isn't considered hand luggage anymore on most airlines ?

Aren't us old geezers supposed to carry overage rucksacks? I have a small backpack, usually called a day pack. I assume that's what goji meant?

Nirish guy
May 9th, 2015, 03:34
Ah sorry I wouldn't know about that then as I am still of course on in the large half a months clothes packed into something the size of a big laundry sack all strapped to your back, complete with pots and pans and map holders hanging from it "obviously" :-)

ps - you can tell I've never "actually" owned a proper rucksack from the above perhaps as being gay they were MUCH too common to be seen dead with and I preferred to stick to my trusty Louis Vuitton matching case and man bag !

(joke ....well almost :-) )

bobsaigon2
May 9th, 2015, 10:01
Yes, I should not have put the laptop in checked baggage, but in 40 years of international travel, this was the first time anything disappeared from my luggage. Along with the new laptop, I bought a soft sided briefcase to carry it. I'm long past the age when a rucksack/knapsack/backpack suits me.

christianpfc
May 10th, 2015, 11:16
Great report! Sorry for your loss of laptop. Was it right on the top of your check-in bag? Then there is not only risk of theft, but of damage as well. I wrap everything that could break in several layers of clothes and put it in the center of my check-in-luggage.

I always take my laptop as hand luggage for two reasons: nobody can break or steal it.

bobsaigon2
May 10th, 2015, 15:32
The laptop was packed between layers of clothing but easily detectable by airport x-ray machines. The American TSA lock on the bag was not a deterrent. Lesson learned. Laptop hand carried from now on.

Now I have a new laptop with English/Thai keyboard, though I am illiterate in Thai and am beginning to have memory lapses in English. But yesterday I was able to ask a cute massage boy, in Thai, if he was from Thailand. He just smiled. Kampuchea? I asked. He nodded. Another one of those erstwhile uni students hoping one day to go back to his studies. Thousands of them in Cambodia. I can't recall meeting even one current or former uni student among the Thai bar boys of the past 17 years. And the Vietnamese boy I offed at Classic could barely write his phone number and appeared to be unable to read Vietnamese. Does this say something about the determination of Cambodian boys? Maybe. Maybe not. I no longer have any answers about anything.

goji
May 11th, 2015, 03:22
Kampuchea? I asked. He nodded. Another one of those erstwhile uni students hoping one day to go back to his studies. Thousands of them in Cambodia. I can't recall meeting even one current or former uni student among the Thai bar boys of the past 17 years. And the Vietnamese boy I offed at Classic could barely write his phone number and appeared to be unable to read Vietnamese.
The Cambodian's do seem to make an effort.
As for the Vietnamese, well some of the ones on Soi Twilight seem to have very little interest in self improvement. I doubt they are representative of the wider population.

bobsaigon2
May 11th, 2015, 08:23
As for the Vietnamese, well some of the ones on Soi Twilight seem to have very little interest in self improvement. I doubt they are representative of the wider population.

I agree, I was not being fair to the wider population of Vietnamese and the illiterate boy at Classic was an exception. And it's not fair to generalize based on what we encounter in the red light districts.

In Vietnam, where I have lived for the past 15 years, the literacy rate is high and there are certainly young people who are determined to get an education, to better themselves, but they are in the minority. The majority, by force of circumstances, have much lower expectations in life. It's a poor country, much more so than Thailand. A uni grad in Vietnam might get a starting salary of $200 USD per month but these days the job market cannot easily absorb all of the graduates. A substantial portion of the population, especially outside the major cities, exist on earnings of $50 US or less per month.

atri1666
May 12th, 2015, 18:20
Just here in Tarntawan.....can not see any old keybords. All new.

thaiguest
May 12th, 2015, 20:29
The Tarntawan: Intimations of Banality.

bobsaigon2
May 13th, 2015, 10:47
New keyboards in the Business Center? Maybe the manager switched them yesterday? I hope he also switched the Wifi equipment. Wifi shamefully slow or unobtainable. Maybe that's just Thailand. One of the other guests on the 8th floor had his door open and his tablet resting on the floor near the router in hopes of catching signals.

Checked out of Tarntawan yesterday, perhaps just as atri1666 was checking in. I don't think I'll be staying at the Tarntawan again. Sometimes when I'm there, I look around and am depressed by the antiquity I see around me (including my contemporaries).

goji
May 14th, 2015, 01:57
Wifi shamefully slow or unobtainable. Maybe that's just Thailand.

This is common in Thailand.

The good news is every Thai hotel I've stayed at has free wifi.

The bad news is that it's almost invariably excruciatingly slow, bordering on unusuable at peak times (mornings, evenings). Sometimes it's almost impossible to connect, even when stood next to the router.

Oliver
May 14th, 2015, 14:33
Yes, slow and getting slower. This is odd; in most parts of the world, the new technologies are speeding-up the internet while in Thailand, it seems to be slower everytime I go- despite upgrading the lap-top I take.

May 14th, 2015, 18:04
The bad news is that it's almost invariably excruciatingly slow, bordering on unusuable at peak times (mornings, evenings). Sometimes it's almost impossible to connect, even when stood next to the router.The Thais believe that the only sites anyone in Thailand needs to access are in Thailand. Those sites are (relatively) speedy. The infrastructure that pipes the Internet to them for sites outside their borders is woefully inadequate because, hey, who needs it?!

sydneyboy
May 15th, 2015, 15:10
I have stayed at the Tarntawan many times the last time about 9 years ago. I liked for all the reasons people give. You are greeted like a long lost son, the friendliness, security, location however the place was simply becoming too shabby. There was cosmetic improvements to the rooms but nothing to the bathrooms. A great pity because the place has otherwise so much going for it. I have often asked on this forum the views of recent guests hoping for a vast improvement but although opinions occasionally differ it is still obviously in need of a good makeover. If it did it would have the gay market to itself.