PDA

View Full Version : phone messaging + numbers

dab69
May 2nd, 2015, 06:54
While on vacation I noticed although my phone was still on "airport mode" a message was still delivered
overseas from the USA. Evidently it routes through my wi-fi connection as I definitely have no carrier service
while in Thailand (and really expensive roaming while in the airport in Japan).

Does anyone use this to communiate overseas successfully?

cdnmatt
May 2nd, 2015, 06:57
Not sure exactly what you're talking about, but yes, the leading 0 needs to be removed from phone #s for people calling / texting from outside of Thailand.

dab69
May 2nd, 2015, 07:01
thanks - I will try that matt.

I had just edited my post so as not to confuse anyone.
I had asked if I should remove the first zero in 66-09-xxxxxxxxxx.

dab69
May 2nd, 2015, 07:14
Just tries to edit his phone number and resend. then I tried to hand enter without the zero.
each time it fills in the zero and sends it back to me.

SprintFreeMsg: Oops!
Your message to
6609xxxxxxxx cannot be delivered as the
destination address is not
valid. Please verify the
number.

gee I copied it after drinking.
cant see what could have gone wrong.
actually did show it to him double checking
and he said it was correct.

cdnmatt
May 2nd, 2015, 11:32
I don't know, but I know for calling from outside of country, you're not allowed to have that leading 0 in there. *shrug*

Call Sprint, and tell them there shit's broken. :-)

Jellybean
May 2nd, 2015, 16:21
dab69, I thought you had to lead with a plus sign before calling or texting from outside a country. In the case of Thailand it would be as follows:

+668xxxxxxxx or +669xxxxxxxx

dab69
May 2nd, 2015, 16:47
I add 011 for overseas here- It removes that part when replying back to me about the bad "address"

May 2nd, 2015, 20:50
Not sure exactly what you're talking about, but yes, the leading 0 needs to be removed from phone #s for people calling / texting from outside of Thailand.I done understand how people,can be so dumb but then i remember we are talking about Americans.

dab69
May 3rd, 2015, 06:53
I done understand how people,can be so dumb but then i remember we are talking about Americans.

he done understand

christianpfc
May 3rd, 2015, 20:04
When my phone is on "airplane" mode, it does not receive calls or messages or uses WiFi. If your phone receives any message while on airplane mode, something is wrong.

I use free WiFi on airports when I fly from Europe to Thailand. Not all airports have this, if you have to register and will receive a message with a code, it's of no use for me.