PDA

View Full Version : Reagan and Gorbachev and little green men

April 23rd, 2015, 16:08
I read somewhere recently that Reagan tried to engage Gorbachev in a conversation about a joint operation should little green men arrive with aggressive intentions.

francois
April 24th, 2015, 02:25
Those little green men have arrived in the Ukraine compliments of Mr. Putin. No wonder Reagan was worried about an alien invasion.

Smiles
April 24th, 2015, 05:04
" ... Reagan was worried about an alien invasion ... "
I've been quite amused for a long time now that the more know-nothing right wing Republicans worship Reagan as if he was the Holy Grail of their general discontent with the state of the union, even though the man had Alzheimers during his 2nd presidency, which in turn suggests he had, at least, the beginnings of senility in his 1st term. He 'won' the Cold War, as the right never seems to not be able to keep themselves from gloating-out-loud about but in fact Mr Gorbachev ~ bless his heart ~ handed it to him on a crystal platter, and for free.
Good thing the Third Term nonsense ended with Roosevelt ... Reagan 3 ~ by then probably a total nutjob - might of nuked 'em just for the hell of it. (Perhaps that was Gorbachov's unspoken horror?)
But then, imminent alien invasions are part of the folk law of the loony right outer edges, so is it any wonder Reagan pandered to them, and probably even believed them.

My dad was diagnosed around 2005, but in fact ~ and in hindsight ~ I can remember behavoirs of his which were plainly Alzheimers-induced 10 years before any diagnosis.