PDA

View Full Version : Exchange rates

joe552
March 15th, 2015, 19:45
Oh, I know it's not a new topic, but with the Euro falling at an alarming rate against the Baht, how does that effect your spending when on holiday, if at all? I have a fairly fixed budget, so will maybe have to have one less glass of wine per night, limit myself in the number of boys I off, but mostly won't effect me at all, since I'm on my holidays - and I'll just spend what I want and worry about it when I get back home. I know it's different for expats living there on fixed pensions or whatever, but I'm mainly asking those of us who are just occasional visitors for their views.

aot871
March 15th, 2015, 19:59
I take a certain amount , of cash from the UK, and live within that amount, come hell or high water

Nirish guy
March 15th, 2015, 20:41
Well it's not the exact answer that you were thinking of or looking for Joe but I can tell you Joe that the Euro drop has affected my plans re my Thailand spend as for the first time in many years instead of going for my usual Songkran trip where I totted up how much I spend in two weeks on a "short trip" I've now bitten the bullet and I've scrubbed my thai trip plans and am going to Barcelona and Sitges instead for a change, where I know that no matter how hard I try I'll spend a quarter or LESS of what I'd normally spend in "cheap" Thailand !

Ok I grant you there maybe not be so many cute Thai boys running about ( although amazingly on my last trip to Barcelona I was actually propositioned by a Thai MB whilst standing at the bar there !!! lol) but there will be plenty of cute latino guys and I'm going with company so I'll not be stuck so I've decided I can do without my Thai "fix" for now and I'm actually looking forward to NOT blowing just so much money for what's almost meant to be a short "cheapie" trip for a nice change. Although I admit it's killing me already that a load of my Thai friends are now messaging me to arrange where we'll go to play water etc and I'm having to say "sorry, cannot" - ha its also scary that so many of them now think I must be mortally ill and dying or something that I'm actually NOT coming for a change, which maybe actually tells me that it IS perhaps long overdue that I change my travel plans a bit more in life and stop doing the same old same old out of (bad) habit ! :-)

Dalewood
March 15th, 2015, 21:38
I was going to avoid Pattaya at Songkran, but now I must reconsider. With Irish not going, the price of "entertainment" will surely plummet. :)

a447
March 15th, 2015, 21:42
The Aussie dollar now fetches 25 baht, rather than 30 and 75 cents rather than US$1.

But I go on holiday with the aim of having the best time possible - best sex, best food, best shopping - so I spend whatever amount it takes to fulfil that aim. I never take a lot of cash; I just rely on my ATM Visa card.

If I had to budget, I'd rather stay home!

Dalewood, I don't know about the price of entertainment plummeting, but there'll be more guys available for us - many more!

Dalewood
March 15th, 2015, 21:49
The good news is that the US$ is strong. The bad news in that the baht is pretty much pegged to the dollar.

Dodger
March 16th, 2015, 02:12
Irishguy wrote:

.....I'm actually NOT coming for a change, which maybe actually tells me that it IS perhaps long overdue that I change my travel plans a bit more in life and stop doing the same old same old out of (bad) habit

I know, I have the same "bad habits" and have absolutely no plans to change them in this lifetime.

Joe,

I'm not sure how this phenominum works - but regardless of how much I budget for a holiday I always end up spending exactly that amount. If I go out on the town and have 1,200 baht in my pocket - that's exactly how much I will spend. If I go out with 5,000 baht in my pockets I will spend every single satang before the nights over regardless if it fucks up my budget or not. Admittedly, I'm like a little kid when it comes to managing money.

You might want to consider linking up with boys via GayRomeo if you haven't already done so. No off fee's or over-the-top drink prices to contend with which is the real money-vacuum. I actualy had sex once when I was sober a few years back and it really wasn't that bad...LOL.

joe552
March 16th, 2015, 03:09
If NIrish isn't going, that's sure to have a major effect on the Thai economy, so perhaps we'll all benefit - certainly more boys to go round during Songkran. :)

I actually haven't been to a go-go bar for a few years, so I intend to put that right this time, with at least a visit to Eros and perhaps Sunny Boys. Like Dodger, I tend to spend whatever cash I have in my pocket, and have been known to go back to my room for more if I'm having a good time. For me, holidays are not the time for budgeting, so rather than watching the pennies for 3 weeks, I'd rather have 2 weeks where I just don't care. :ymparty:

goji
March 16th, 2015, 06:26
I set a budget for holidays, but it's always something like last year's spend (in baht) + 20%. I come in under budget every time.

It's much more effective to control costs for the other 47 weeks of the year.

As for weakening of your home currency, well this can happen. Currencies can go up and down. Just spread your investment portfolio around the planet to minimise currency risk.

scottish-guy
March 16th, 2015, 07:26
.... Just spread your investment portfolio around the planet to minimise currency risk.

Just what audience do you think you're playing to?

:))

March 16th, 2015, 12:43
.... Just spread your investment portfolio around the planet to minimise currency risk.Just what audience do you think you're playing to?The intelligent one ie. the non-Scots

joe552
March 16th, 2015, 17:39
I've invested a lot in bar boys over the years, but sadly the returns on that investment have been poor. I now choose only to make a small deposit with each one I meet. :)

Halfhansum
March 17th, 2015, 03:50
Very sensible policy joe552 ..
That way you wont be disappointed if your deposit gets swallowed up ..

Nirish guy
March 17th, 2015, 04:52
yeah but just watch Joe that when putting in your investment that it isn't going to peak to early, but if it IS looking like it's going that way don't be tempted to pull out to early either, just hang on for dear like and risk it maybe that little bit longer and just ride the wave as it may well be worth it in the long term for you, as if you pull out to early the whole transaction could become a little bit sticky for you and leave you with a real mess on your hands trying to clean the whole sorry situation up again !

goji
March 17th, 2015, 05:45
.... Just spread your investment portfolio around the planet to minimise currency risk.
Just what audience do you think you're playing to?
:))

An audience who can afford extravagant tropical holidays or even retirement abroad. B-)
From what I read, some people here even sit near the front of the plane......
I'll be sat in the cheap seats towards the back, but I do invest something each year for the future.