PDA

View Full Version : Possible to get past the farang/thai thing?

marc11864-old
June 23rd, 2006, 09:59
No matter how I write this, it seems like a silly question but I really am curious... Is it necessary/common to resort to defining a mixed relationship in Thailand by calling one a farang and one a Thai? It just seems to be so "normal" to separate the two ethnicities when discussing something about their relationship.

Or am I just being to sensitive to what feels like racism/classism?

:dontknow:

June 23rd, 2006, 10:07
Or am I just being to sensitive to what feels like racism/classism?Yep. Or you could try other equally "insensitive" classifications like old/young, sodomite/catamite, rich/poor, keeper/kept

Surfcrest
June 23rd, 2006, 10:33
Yep. Or you could try other equally "insensitive" classifications like old/young, sodomite/catamite, rich/poor, keeper/kept

And you being.........?

June 23rd, 2006, 10:40
Now, now Surfcrest you know perfectly well that I don't care for anyone's feelings; I'm perfectly happy to admit that I'm insensitive as I don't care what anyone thinks of me - something you claim to be a Thai characteristic rather than a Western one. You equally know that I regard political correctness as something to mock, as would the Thais if they could ever start to comprehend it

American Teacher-old
June 23rd, 2006, 10:45
Now, now Surfcrest you know perfectly well that I don't care for anyone's feelings; I'm perfectly happy to admit that I'm insensitive as I don't care what anyone thinks of me - something you claim to be a Thai characteristic rather than a Western one. You equally know that I regard political correctness as something to mock, as would the Thais if they could ever start to comprehend it

What wonderful personality traits. You must have a lot of friends.

Fondly,
Chris

www.niddynook.com (http://www.niddynook.com)
** Home of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger! **

June 23rd, 2006, 11:17
What wonderful personality traits. You must have a lot of friendsIndeed, and it shoud come as no surprise to you that very, very few of them (two, maybe) are Americans

June 23rd, 2006, 12:52
What wonderful personality traits. You must have a lot of friendsIndeed, and it shoud come as no surprise to you that very, very few of them (two, maybe) are Americans
Thats kind of shallow to base your choice of friends based on nationality. I would understand if there was a language barrier, but really, proper American English isn't that hard to get.

June 23rd, 2006, 14:35
What wonderful personality traits. You must have a lot of friendsIndeed, and it should come as no surprise to you that very, very few of them (two, maybe) are Americans
That's kind of shallow to base your choice of friends based on nationality. I would understand if there was a language barrier, but really, proper American English isn't that hard to get.

Dear Thaiquila;
Have you considered the root of the problem might be the majority of Americans he meets, as well as people from everywhere else, have no desire than to have friends like him? FBOC's & curmudgeons are an acquired taste; best for slow cooking. Then chuck out and go out...for a bit of sweet, fresh tom kar gai.

Dodger
June 23rd, 2006, 23:31
Thaquila...don't get all wrapped up in Homi the Homo's negative personality traits...it's just his Nazi upbringing.

June 23rd, 2006, 23:40
Thaquila...don't get all wrapped up in Homi the Homo's negative personality traits...it's just his Nazi upbringing.
Oy vey.

bkkguy
June 24th, 2006, 00:46
anyone who can combine the sarcasm of

What wonderful personality traits. You must have a lot of friends.

with the American "have a nice day" sincerity of

Fondly,
Chris

is obviously streets ahead of homontern in terms of people you would want to associate with!

and anyone who can continue to claim

** Home of Pattaya's Tastiest Cheeseburger! **

despite all the evidence to the contrary is obviously of in a world of his own and best left there!

bkkguy

marc11864-old
June 24th, 2006, 01:54
...and yet not one has attempted to answer the initial question. While it is true that I may be somewhat sensitive, I would think that is more in keeping with the Thai mentality than of "outsiders".

This is a disappointing image of non-natives if I may say so.

Jetsam
June 24th, 2006, 02:30
No matter how I write this, it seems like a silly question but I really am curious... Is it necessary/common to resort to defining a mixed relationship in Thailand by calling one a farang and one a Thai? It just seems to be so "normal" to separate the two ethnicities when discussing something about their relationship.

Or am I just being to sensitive to what feels like racism/classism?

:dontknow:

In Thailand you will forever be a farang, no mather how long you live there or how fluently you speak the language, It's actually the same here in Holland , even if you are 100% Dutch and been born here but are 3th or 4th generation and have a little skin color because your ancestors came from an exotic country you will be the rest of your life be named an allochtoon (non native Dutch) and that term is used by everyone including politicians. Is that fair? no way , If you are white and from another country you are technically an allochtoon too, but will never be called that way. I mean it's not only Thailand that practice racism. but than again Holland is the nation that invented the term apartheid.
That said I really don't know if that is what you meant with your question hahha

June 24th, 2006, 08:01
I have to say I'm enjoying the intercourse above, helped immeasurably by the fact that Thaiquila is on my {Ignore} list

June 24th, 2006, 09:04
I have to say I'm enjoying the intercourse above, helped immeasurably by the fact that Thaiquila is on my {Ignore} list
Lovely, but you are not on mine, dear.
Its pretty silly to think you could ever get totally past the farang Thai thing.