View Full Version : Short stopover at Shuvarnabumi

Leo898nl
March 11th, 2015, 14:31
Hi
I'll be arriving at the airport on a friday evening at 18:30 hrs and leave again at 02:00 hrs. As I don't want to wait for more than 7 hrs at the airport I was thinking about going to a sauna. But where should I go to and what is the fastest way to go there? (I have no idea how long it takes to clear immigration).
I could go to Babylon by taxi: how long would that take? Babylon closes at 22:30 hrs. Or I could take the express train to Phayathai and from there take the BST to Chakran sauna. Is this faster? Chakran is open untill midnight.
Or are there other options/things I should do?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Leo

arsenal
March 12th, 2015, 17:22
I don't know who you're flying with Leo but at seven hours there's a very good chance the airline will take you to a hotel. Assuming both legs are with the same airline.

Leo898nl
March 12th, 2015, 17:40
Hi Arsenal
I'm sure they won't put me in a hotel: flew this route before (VN airlines from Saigon to BKK and then to Europe with China Airlines): waiting time was too long so maybe should look for some fun in BKK
Leo

Nirish guy
March 12th, 2015, 18:34
Maybe check out the enforced closure of certain areas of Babylon before you think about going there perhaps as the fun you seek may be quite limited I fear in there just now ! There are threads about that on here and a few of the other boards I fear.

arsenal
March 12th, 2015, 18:46
Also remember that while 7 hours may seem like forever in an airport the time could start to run away if you find yourself in some non moving Bangkok traffic.

Nirish guy
March 12th, 2015, 19:51
my thoughts exactly as whilst 7 hours sounds like a long time when you allow an hour to get out through immigration and into a taxi then an hour ( traffic dependant) to get into central Bkk ( if you're lucky) then add in your hour back ( again if you're lucky) and say 1.5 hours to get back through security and be at your gate on time ( minimum I would say) there's 4.5 hours of your 7 hours wiped out already - and all of that is "hopefully" based on immigration and security queues and traffic, personally I'd stay put and put my feet up in a lounge somewhere.

arsenal
March 12th, 2015, 22:10
And another thing as well Leo. Land in Bangkok from Vietnam, leave the airport with a stamp in your passport and then return the same day to fly to London. Immigration/customs might find that a little suspicious.

christianpfc
March 12th, 2015, 22:22
Due to traffic, I recommend going by BTS/MRT/ARL (or even boat), something that is not affected by traffic jam. Return can be by taxi.

Babylon closes 22:30, customers start leaving an hour before, and around 22 staff closes some areas. Unless you arrive before 21, not worth going.

Leo898nl
March 12th, 2015, 23:22
Thank you all for your answers.
I think I will look how long the queus at the immigration are first.
If not too long I think I will go by airport express to the city and then by BTS to Chakran or 39 underground? They are the ones to be reached fastest I think. With a little bit of luck will be there at 20:00 hrs (hopefully).
I'm not afraid for suspicious immigration officials: can't see why they would have anything against someone leaving the country.
Anyway, 7,5 hrs waiting at the airport does not appeal to me at all
Leo

Nirish guy
March 13th, 2015, 01:26
Do be sure to report back and let us all know how you got on with that then now won't you so others considering same can make their informed decision based on your actual experience perhaps rather than all our best guesses ( based on our collective experiences)

colmx
March 13th, 2015, 03:05
why not book into one of the hotels near the airport... and order a take-away to come to you?
Saves on the traffic as its only 10 minutes away:
http://hotelbangkokairport.com/

Leo898nl
March 13th, 2015, 09:45
Thanks for the advice Colm but this doesn't appeal to me.
I will report here what I did and how it went: promised but you'll need to have a little patience as I will be in BKK on friday the 20th
Leo

pong
March 13th, 2015, 10:24
Again it seems many people here seem to believe that askers only fly BIS and are FreqFlyer and completely unused to any form of publ transpo.
Of course railinks are best and most reliable-you may have to stand though.
Sauna I now think of near to ARL :the new R3, back side of Fortune town, Makkasan/ARL+10 min walk.
Plus ride on BTS; Chakran, 39 Undergr, Sapan kwai, all in Silom area; Mania, Heaven, that one in soi 2 1/2.
Babylon only nice if you fancy other white farang now. Shortish walk from MRT.
m2m massage: ARL till Makkasan, then 1 stop till Sukhumvit on MRT: then Uniman, Urban male, Jey are close by.
Also note that late eves going OUT of TYH-passing immigr can last quite long-as long as coming in. Those hordes of mainland Chinese and there Qjumping etc.

fountainhall
March 13th, 2015, 13:03
IF your VN flight arrives on time, and
IF you get through Immigration and Customs quickly (in less than an hour at what is a peak arrivals time after all), and
IF you get on the train (from what I have been told the Express service is now dead so you have to take the longer local service), and
IF you know Bangkok well enough to find Babylon and/or Chakran quickly (my guess is that it will be 20:45 at the earliest before you get there), and
IF you find there are actually enough guys still there when you arrive, and
IF you manage to hook up in reasonable time -
- will you actually be able to relax and enjoy your massage or whatever without worrying how on earth you are going to make it back to the airport to get through those hoards of fellow travellers at Immigration in time to get to your onward flight?

It's a nice idea. I've done it at Hong Kong just last November when I had 6 hours to spare. But I know Hong Kong and the airport like the back of my hand. So I was back at the airport and through Immigration with tons of time to spare. But then as an HKG Permanent Resident, I use an ID card for entry and exit which together took less than 90 seconds. I do hope you make it and end up having a great time. I just wouldn't risk it at Suvarnabhumi.

Leo898nl
March 13th, 2015, 14:56
Thanks Pong and Fountainhall for your advice: I will keep it in mind. Here at Saigon airport things certainly move faster than in BKK: had to wait 10 to max 15 mins here at immigration.
Didn't realize that R3 sauna is close to Makahasan train station. However it gets some mixed reviews: you think its worth checling out this place on a friday evening?
Leo

Nirish guy
March 13th, 2015, 15:22
Again it seems many people here seem to believe that askers only fly BIS and are FreqFlyer and completely unused to any form of public transport.

? Where Pong in any of the above replies do you percieve posters thinking that I wonder ?

People have referred to using many forms of public transport such as trains, buses, taxis, BTS etc, they also asked would the airline put you in a hotel ( this can certainly happen on economy flights with long layovers) and I suggested going into a VIP lounge, where access can be purchased by anyone to same at the lounge entrance door for only about 750 baht if I recall which covers the person for a four hour visit.

I don't see anyone believing people ONLY fly Biz Class here in any of the above replies and I most certainly didn't ( and don't) as personally I almost never fly business class and automatically assume the same of most people's travel arrangements unless they state otherwise.

Perhaps does one have a slight chip on ones shoulder about those who do decide to fly that way do though maybe ?

March 13th, 2015, 16:04
The airport itself can provide entertainment, certainly once you have passed through Immigration. It's a very popular spot for suicides, the latest being yesterday (http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/03/13/german-man-jumps-his-death-suvarnabhumi-video). Surely some enterprising Thai could run guided tours of where successful and unsuccessful attempts have been made, and beam video of attempts live from the CCTV if any occur while you are there?

Leo898nl
March 22nd, 2015, 11:16
So this is what I did last friday.
My plane arrived on time. I was at the gate/out of the plane at 18:50 hrs and then went straight to immigration. The line there was long but was also moving so I gave it a trie. I cleared immigration at 19:25 hrs. Went from there to the train (took some Bath from an ATM on the way) and went by city line (as the express train was not running) to Phayathai station. From Phayathai I took the BTS to Saphan Kwai and walked then to the 39 Underground sauna. Arrived there at 20:30 hrs.
I stayed at the sauna until 22:45 hrs. Had a nice time over there had sex with a couple of Thai guys.
I went back the same route. I arrived back at the airport at 23:35 hours.
As I didn't have my boarding pass for my next flight yet, I checked in at China Airlines. To my surprise they told me I had to pay airport tax as it was not included in my ticket price being 700 Bath. Had I checked in in the transit area or had they supplied me with a boarding pass for my second flight when I checked in for my first flight I wouldn't have had to pay this tax: the logic of this escapes me: I even used the airport facilities less by leaving the airport but yet had to pay more.
From check in I went straight to immigration. There the lines were no too long (there were no large groups of Chinese tourists), I cleared immigration at 00:05 hrs so have an entry stamp of 20 march and an exit stamp of 21 march in my passpport (no questions asked by the immigration official). My fligt left at 02:05 hrs so plenty of time left.
So it can be done on public transport if you have a stopover of 7 hrs: It was better than staying at the aiport and wait for 7 hrs. The only thing is that if I have the opportunity again I would first try to get my boarding pass for the next flight before leaving the airport: I only don't know if that is possible: some airlines only open their check in in the transit area 3 hrs before flight.

Thanks to all who gave me their advice

Leo

Smiles
March 22nd, 2015, 13:17
Again it seems many people here seem to believe that askers only fly BIS and are FreqFlyer and completely unused to any form of public transport.
? Where Pong in any of the above replies do you percieve posters thinking that I wonder ?
Perhaps does one have a slight chip on ones shoulder about those who do decide to fly that way do though maybe ?
Yes In spades.
Mr Pong has been peppering his self-decreed All-knowing-Ness on these boards for many years now and is more often than not totally obtuse ~ bordering on incomprehensible at times ~ and all advice seemingly in code (His code that is, his alone). His observations on everything -Thai are opinions only and - for myself - items only to be either ignored or taken with however many grains of salt one wishes to throw around.
Just my opinon ...

fountainhall
March 22nd, 2015, 14:18
To my surprise they told me I had to pay airport tax as it was not included in my ticket price being 700 Bath. Had I checked in in the transit area or had they supplied me with a boarding pass for my second flight when I checked in for my first flight I wouldn't have had to pay this tax: the logic of this escapes me
Not sure of the logic but in my experience it is standard worldwide practice. If you are transferring you are usually not supposed to leave the airport unless the airline itself has made special arrangements. But if you have your onward boarding pass (and assuming you don't need a visa) I have never had any problems when returning to an airport after a few hours shopping or R&R!